Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,986 members, 7,799,367 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! (2576 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / The Reality Of Second Chance / Untitled Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 22, 2007
The lure of the flesh has always been a stumbling block between man and his God. This indeed was stressed by the Almighty when he decreed that a man should take a wife unto himself if he finds it uncomfortable to stay pure. The provision over the ages has, however, not been satisfactory enough for most of our men who find it irresistible at one time or another to stray into the warm embrace of other women, religion, law, vows and promises, etc not withstanding.

For many of these men, the idea often starts out as adventures, for the fun of doing it, or to join the bandwagon. But oftentimes, child's play may become life size. Adventure becomes misadventure and without planning for it, a second wife is born. So how does he break the bad news to his wife?

First, let’s take the story of S, a Pharmacist, as she narrates how her husband married her colleague at the same office. (I am sorry guys the first bit of the story is missing but I am sure you won't find it difficult piecing.)
Her story:

Life continued as before, until a few weeks later when another colleague again sought my audience for another private discussion. The same story was related again, but this time with a challenge that I must confront F with the accusation. I was troubled, but even more embarrassed at having to ask such a ridiculous question. But the seed of doubt had already been sown in my heart. It had taken root and just needed me pondering over it to germinate.

I could not help it any longer and before I knew it, I somehow found the boldness to confront F. She outrightly denied the story and even tearfully started to rain abuses. F’s stomach grew bigger and about a month after the scene, she stopped coming to the office. On enquiry, we found out that she’d been transferred to ,  Local Government Council. She had also moved with her two children to her mother’s house.

An uneasy calm reigned in me as the stories continued. Of course, my husband denied all the things I told him and subsequently, he stopped discussing it with me. A rift was wedged between us over the matter, me insisting that there must be something to the stories going on around town, and he insisting he knows nothing of F’s pregnancy and that there must be a mischievous and malicious twist to them. He even insisted that those making up the stories were my friends who wanted to hurt me for undisclosed reasons. He asked why he and his friends were not aware of the stories, or were they not living in the same city with me and my friends? Soon, his attitude changed. He went about with a frown permanently plastered on his face, at least when at home. I almost believed his gimmick until he confessed with his own lips after F put to bed.

He walked in late that night asking me to rejoice with him, he’d just had the baby girl of his dreams. It was as if I’d been hit by a moving train. He did not need to tell me the mother of his daughter, as the answer was glaring. I wailed all night like a wounded lion, cursing, shouting, swearing, you name it. The boys were forced out of bed as I couldn’t keep my voice down, and I’m sure all the neighbours must have heard me too.

K locked himself up in his room to run out of the house at the wake of dawn. Confused, I rushed down to the office to inform others of what had transpired. No one appeared surprised, staring at me with a “didn’t I tell you so” look on their faces. I had been thorougly humiliated and taken for a ride. I wept all day and the same continued for several weeks.

I was informed that my husband threw a lavish party for F’s baby which was well attended even by some of our staff members who wanted to get the gist fresh. It was held at F’s mother’s house. I gradually slipped into a state of depression. I lost appetite for most foods, sleep, and couldn’t attend to myself and my children. It seemed as if my world had collapsed totally and I didn’t want to live anymore.

The shame and pain were just too much for me, especially as K showed no sign of remorse. All around me, friends, colleagues, and relations had the same thing to say. It was always, “you better don’t kill yourself over such a silly issue. Men are not reliable. Think of your health and your children, after all, you have a good job and he can’t take that from you.”

The adage that the wife is always the last to know was so true in my case. For a long time, people had been seeing K and F in every nook and corner of town. I was told how they’d been seen together at one function or another, or how she visits him at the office or clinic. They had even confided in their close friends that they both hit it off the first time they met. Surprisingly, that was the day K and I paid her a visit after she lost her husband. I could not have expected a woman in mourning to be eyeing a man, not to talk of the husband of a colleague who had come to sympathise with her. Piece by piece, I heard all the dirty details of how the two low-lifers collaborated against me. And in my quiet moments, which now appeared to be all the time, I gradually pieced the whole thing together. I realised that I should have suspected them all along, if I had been observant enough.

I was really troubled and at 35 years, I was already looking 60 years plus.

The future looked quite bleak to me and I lost all sense of humour. It was a real hard blow for me. Soon, I started getting all sorts of advice from friends and co-workers. I was made to understand that for such a person to have been so callous, wicked and uncaring, F could go to any length in getting rid of me if she considers that I will be a threat to her happiness with K. That really sent me wild because the thought had never crossed my mind.

Some of my colleagues even told me things about her that tended towards such things. They all concluded that I would be foolish, moreso a second time, to just sit by and watch in self pity while my matrimonial home is destroyed. If I could not wrestle my husband back from her grips, I should at least ensure that she doesn’t send me packing out completely.

Despite all the encouragements given, I could not summon up courage to do anything about her. I was too scared to visit a herbalist or Alfa or prophet with such a proposal as conceived. What if the poor woman was innocent after all? At least, if K had not approached her, the whole thing wouldn’t have happened. I was lucky that I didn’t encounter any problems with my in-laws as most of them did not approve of what he’d done.

To be continued , 

First published on GCF by Eve!
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 22, 2007
talk abt resurrection

no be dis thread cause wahala before
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 22, 2007
The thread itself is not the problem.
That girl was already after me.
Anyway as I stated back then I have republished the thread.
This is a lesson for all members! smiley
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 23, 2007
cont/d,

They asserted that if he must take a second wife, why should it be one from my office or that I knew very well. Though my mother-in-law saw nothing wrong with what happened since her son as she claimed could afford to have more than one wife and, most especially, more children. I did not blame her because she was not a first wife and I’d heard that she married my father-in-law for his wealth, having come from a poor family. So what could one expect from such a person. As they, however, didn’t reside in Lagos and I had no reason to visit, I could not be bothered.

Everyone blamed me for not having more children, attributing everything to it. If he had things to do with his money, he wouldn’t have enough to spend on a second wife. K soon started staying out all night, or so late that we would have all gone to bed before his return. I was reliably told that he’d rented an apartment for F close to her mother’s house. Some people asked me to go and challenge her. But, the idea was too low-life of sort for me. What would my friends and family members say or think on hearing that I’d done such a thing. Besides, if she did anything nasty to me, she would be absolved of all blames as they would query my presence at her residence.

Apart from the late nights and absenteeism, money became a problem. Besides our monthly feeding allowance, K never wanted to hear anything about money again. He would complain that business was not doing fine and that since there were two of us now, he had to manage his resources between us. I could understand because he was trying to wrap up construction work on our house, but if the woman were not there, things wouldn’t be so tense. Besides, I was sure that K was helping F in taking care of her two other children, when he had not even met the needs of his own.

On completion of the house, my husband informed me that F would also be moving in with us. I least expected it and it was the worst blow of all. Someone that didn’t know how the land was bought or how the foundation was laid would now be matching around the place! I’d thought that since she’d kept her distance over the years, then, we should just keep it that way.

Again, people started hinting that she can’t just be having her way like that if she was not using anything. If she wasn’t doing it by herself, her mother must be helping her out. I’d had enough by then. If I didn’t want her to have it all, I must protect myself. So, I joined a spiritual church and, since then, the Lord has been performing wonders. Though F now has three children for K, she has not been able to eject me from my matrimonial home.

The End.

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 24, 2007
The next story is by J, (50), mother of six and a businesswoman. She said she least suspected a thing. Her story:

“Sometimes, when I remember how it all happened, or, should I say started, I still think it’s all a bad dream that I’ll soon wake up from. S woke me up early one Saturday morning and informed me that I would be accompanying him to a function. I asked why he did not tell me that the previous night or even before then as I would have tried to adjust my plans to accommodate the outing. Besides, what sort of outing was it and who was hosting? He insisted he could not tell me. That he was just given the invitation card late last night too. But, that prepared or not, the outing was a must and I was going with him. By then, his countenance had changed, and he became really angry with me.

He asked why I was querying him, insisting that, as my husband, he had the right to ask me to follow him anywhere. I was baffled, asking if we’d had a quarrel prior to that morning. He refused to answer and walked into the bathroom.

I decided to ignore him and set about my own business for the day. I went to wake my daughter, the last born, despite the fact that it was just about 6.00 a.m. We usually crawl round town together on weekends as I could not imagine leaving her alone in the midst of all the workers that usually come around. The first two are in the university while the others are boarding students in the secondary school.
When he returned from the bathroom and discovered that I had no plans to follow him, his anger returned full blast. He told me that I was looking for his trouble and would get it. He said the outing was very important to him, in fact, a matter of life and death.

If I failed to accompany him to the place, it meant that I had no respect for him and was ready to leave his house. I was shocked. What was going on here so early in the morning. I quickly told him this was surely the devil’s handwork and that he should get hold of himself and not allow the devil have his way with us.

He just turned around and told me that I am the devil at work who wants to disrupt his plans. We started arguing back and forth and finally, he confessed that he was the host of the ceremony we were attending.

To be continued,

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 25, 2007
Naturally, the first thing that rushed through my mind was a naming ceremony, my husband had impregnated someone and she’d had his child. But I was too scared to ask him just in case it turned out to be true. So, I sat down calmly and asked him when he had been planning such an important event without hinting me about it. He told me he didn’t need to plan anything for a long time. So, what was the big event all about? My God! You would be shocked at the way we were talking about this thing as if it were a normal everyday occurrence. He was behaving as if it was the usual thing and that he did not owe me an explanation. Or he did not owe it to anyone to be decent about his actions. He just blurted out that a girl got pregnant for him and he wanted the baby, so he had no choice but to marry her.

Though I could not have expected anything short of a pregnant second wife, I was still shocked nonetheless. I asked how old the pregnancy was and he told me six months, retorting that he didn’t know what that had to do with me. Then, I asked for her identity and he rebuffed me saying that since I would meet her later in the day, there was no need for the question. I had never been one for much words too, but I managed to ask if what he’d done was good. He should think of all the long years of suffering together, and after 26 years of matrimony. Just when things seemed to be turning out fine and we should be thinking of settling back to enjoy the fruits of our labour, he’d decided to take on more problems. He replied that the financial aspect of it had nothing to do with me as he would not be spending my money.
I was quiet again, and the next minute, tears were rolling down my eyes. I started abusing and cursing him. If he had dealt fairly with me, God will be the judge between us. Little did I know that I was in for more surprises. He quietly told me not to curse him on his wedding day, a day of immense importance in his life. I stood staring at him for a while, not knowing what to say. I called him a fool who ought to be ashamed of himself. How was he planning to explain his action to the children? He replied that it wasn’t my headache, but his. I started weeping aloud, but he warned me about embarrassing myself, stressing again what could happen if I failed to follow him. That was how I attended my husband’s wedding ceremony, though lots of people later told me that I was stupid to have followed him. I should have stuck to my guns too. In fact, he was sure that I would fall for the trick and it must have been planned in collaboration with the lady. However, that is not necessary now as the deed was already done.

All arrangements had been made by my sister-in-law, S’s older sister. Sister B and I had never really got on well, especially in the early days of our marriage. We’d had cause to clash a couple of times. But it was always settled for us by other relatives, while I would be asked to apologise to her being the wife in the family. However, over the years, we had both been able to mark out our territories, identifying each other’s limitations. A false display of peace and affection naturally settled in over time since we hardly ever saw each other unlike how we used to in the early days. I never visit her, so it was just natural that she too never visits me.

We only meet on neutral grounds at family occasions. And so it was no surprise that Sister B was the Chief Hostess and Master of Ceremony and Chief Bridesmaid all rolled into one. She was all over the place, determined to see that all went well, and I would see how she was capable of arranging her younger brother’s life. Sister B’s friends were ladies in waiting, or what could I call them being the organisers, running back and forth. Sister even had the guts to kiss and greet me, “Congratulations, may the union bear good fruits.” I was cold to my bone marrow. Imagine being kissed by a cobra. I managed to mumble a reply of sort, but I was really hurt. This time, Sister B had hit me below the belt.

That was not the only shocker waiting for me. It turned out that the wedding was no little party at all. It was neatly packaged with all the trimmings. But for my bias and bitterness, I would have given Sister B and her team a pass mark and even recommend her to wedding organisers. She made sure she brought all the necessary items used for such ceremonies, nothing was left out or negotiated. It was as if she was organising a wedding for a young couple. All the yams and fish and goats were accurately numbered. To crown it all, when the bride was led out to meet her husband and guests, she was wearing the same fabric with me and Steven. No thanks to Sister B of course.

The girl and her family turned out to be a nice piece of work. She must have lost her bearing somewhere along the way perhaps due to the influence of bad company.

To be continued,

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 26, 2007
For this was obvious from the look on her parents face and the reluctance of her sisters to fully participate in the whole sordid party. But for Sister B and her lousy friends, very few people would have guessed that a wedding ceremony was actually taking place in that neighbourhood. It was our side of the family that provided everything. from food to bandstand. Sister B spared no expenses, of course, on her brother’s bill. At the end of the ceremony, the bride’s parents handed her over to me, insisting that it was me they were giving their daughter to as my own daughter, sister and mate, and not to my husband.

Her parents could not hide their discomfort as they openly shed tears. But Sister B kept assuring them that the whole thing was destined by God. That their daughter was in good hands and was stepping into a good family and would have nothing to regret by her action. It was as if she was the one marrying the girl and not her brother.

I went through the ceremony like one in trance and finally, we were on our way home. The three of us at the back of our Mercedes Benz and my eight year old daughter in the front seat. Sister B, a friend of her’s and two of R’s friends followed us in another car. No member of R’s family followed us.

In fact, I can’t imagine what I would have done if they had decided to host another party at our home. Did I hear you ask which home? Yes, mine. The one I’d shared with my husband and children for almost 15 years, since it’s completion. Sister B poured the traditional water on R’s feet while they prayed for her.

She did not allow any detail to slip her by as she went ahead to insist that they must take something before leaving just to mark the occasion, if only just mineral water. She went to the kitchen refrigerator by herself and invited one of R’s friends to assist her with the trays. They all sat down chatting as if nothing had happened. Sister B did her best to ignore me completely as she spoke to everyone but me. But could I even speak to anyone? I was dumb struck, even the few times S spoke with me, I could not reply him. A huge lump just stationed itself in my throat.

I was battling with a lot of emotions at the same time. Should I burst out in tears? Hold it back? Shout and order them out of my house and life? I kept looking at no one but Sister B. Even for a little while, I must have concluded that she was responsible for the whole thing. She had arranged R for her brother just to spite me for all the hassles I’d given her all those years back. Yes! Why not? She never forgave me, but was waiting for the opportunity to Bare her fangs at me.

I did not know when they all left. I’d retired to my room on the pretence that I was going to change my clothes and never returned downstairs. That night, R shared my husband’s room, while my daughter shared mine. As little as she was, she understood all that was going on and could only say sorry mummy.

I told her not to worry assuring her that everything would be alright. The next morning, R came to greet me in the sitting room, addressing me as Mummy, after all she was only a child. At 28, she was four years older than our first daughter. That morning, we had a little family meeting with S presiding.

He informed me of the need to make room for R’s accommodation. I was to move the girls downstairs to the second room which hitherto, I had been using as a store for goods from my shop. He did not mention an alternative storage place for my things. So, it was implied that I had to look out for myself. I moved my daughters’ things out of the room so that R could get a room to herself. That was how R became my husband’s second wife and has shared my home till date.

I later found out from the driver after interrogation that all our workers, including the house-help knew about the wedding ceremony. Everybody knew except me. He drove S around and had all the details and must have passed it on. I was the only one in that house without the slightest idea of what was going on right under my roof.

I was forced to evaluate myself, and my relationship with our workers and neighbours. Was my behaviour so terrible that I didn’t have just one person among them who could call me into confidence? The driver told me that S made him swear to keep it a secret with promise of a pay increase or he would be sacked. Since he was yet to find another job, he could not turn him down.

To say that the children were shocked on arrival home is to say the least. My eldest daughter advised that we move out on completion of my own house as she couldn’t stand all that was going on. But even if I could, where was I to take six full grown children? I would have to run a life time race to clothe, feed and educate them. If S were dead, that is another thing entirely.

The End.

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 27, 2007
Our third story is narrated by W, (47), a business woman who says she had to gate crash at her husband’s secret wedding ceremony to another woman. How and what happened later? Find out below as W tells her story:

My husband did not tell me anything when he was going to take on his second wife. Though they are now separated, he will never forget what I did to him. Same for his family members and advisers. Today, many of them that used to enjoy my respect and attention whenever we met or they came to visit, are not worth a dime by my ratings now.

Most of them are either too ashamed to come around to our house, or too scared of what they think I might do to them. For they all believe that I am one crazy, unpredictable woman. And so would you after reading my story.

What they do not however know until now that I could not have done anything without the assistance of my husband’s best friend and his wife. Whenever I tell anyone this story, they salute my courage and wisdom. But for my actions, J, my husband would have swept me aside like a piece of garbage, after all I’d gone through in my life with him.

I would forever remain grateful to D and L his wife. D and J, my husband had been childhood friends since their secondary school days. I’d met D first, through J and then later, L, through D. It was as if fate had a hand in the whole thing as L and I sort of struck a cord on meeting. And so, all four of us were able to continue the relationship without having to deal with emotions such as jealousy or lustfulness that such closeness usually breeds.

It was not as if L and I shared a special bond or feelings for each other, but we could tolerate and respect each other’s views. Besides, we seemed to share similar taste in many things, especially clothes, food and housekeeping matters. You know, the normal women’s stuff. As for the guys, they did some business together once a while, even though they were in different professions.

So, I was not surprised when the lady called me up one day to ask what my schedule was like the following day.

To be continued…………

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by theopops: 11:44pm On Jul 03, 2007
where is the rest of the story?

pls update.

crazy naija men.
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 03, 2007
I'll do that tomorrow!
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by damoche07(m): 5:33pm On Jul 04, 2007
Good job there,Michelin89.Will be back to read the rest.
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jul 04, 2007
I was convinced that I did not deserve such a betrayal from J. But the two of them tried to console me, assuring me that they understood everything even without my putting things into words.

How can a human being be so wicked to another, especially one he calls his wife and mother of his children? Is it that I am not beautiful or presentable enough anymore? Or that we do not have enough children at number three? I would have had a fourth one, but for fear of losing my life trying again after a miscarriage. And we have two male and one female, is there a third sex that we lack? This is a man I’d given all my life savings to after we got married, so that he could start the business he so desired and dreamed of. Even when all that initial investment went down the drain, my mother had come to his rescue.

We lived in my mother’s house for the first 11 years of our marriage so we did not have to pay a dime on rent, we even sometimes collected the rent on the other five flats to complement our income. And it was from here that we moved to our own house. I’d invested too much into our union for him to treat me in this shabby manner. They asked what I planned to do about the information but I said I could not think of anything immediately. I would have to go and inform my mother first, so I can hear her opinion. I promised to get in touch with them later in the day.

I drove straight to my mother’s shop, she sells lace materials and jewelleries. After narrating everything to her, I showed her the piece of paper containing the other information. She just smiled and began telling me stories about how ungrateful and selfish men could be. She said that was why she never remarried after she left our father because all of them were the same. She then informed me that I should not let J smile all the way home. What I should do was to give him a dose of his own pills. I was to catch him unawares too. The plan? On that day, I too would attend the wedding with a few friends and relatives and with our own food and drinks!

I told her she must be joking. What would people think? Besides, J would probably think that I was happy with his actions and giving my consent. But my mother insisted that there was no way J would see me at the party and feel happy unless he is a real bastard. The J she knows will either run away from the venue of the party or wish that the ground would swallow him up. She was sure he would not only regret his actions, the whole relationship would soon come to an end. That was the only way to save my marriage and hold on to my husband. She was also sure that the lady would not know what to make of the situation too.

It is not the first time one will hear of men taking second wives without their wife’s knowledge, she said. So they must have agreed to keep me out of the picture until they were sure I wouldn’t be able to do anything. My mother assured me that all will be well if I did as advised. That evening, I narrated the plan to D and L, and they agreed. In fact, they disclosed that they had also thought of the same thing, but neither had the heart to tell me, nor carry it out by themselves. But now that it was coming from me with the backing of my mother, they were also prepared to go the whole hog with me. D insisted we should leave the cooking and transportation plans to him. Everything would be prepared by them and we would also take off for the venue of the party from their house. My mother and I would have nothing to do with it, so as not to draw any unnecessary attention to our plans.

D assured me of his total loyalty and that he would never be in support of anything that was not in my interest. I was very grateful to him. I felt comforted by his declarations and support. At least, if I was such a terrible wife to J to the extent that not even one member of his family could call me into confidence about his activities, at least his friends did not think so. I was not surprised at their treacherous attitude, they had always been envious of me as an individual, and of the relationship between me and J. They used to insist that I had turned J into a woman’s wrapper because of my family’s wealth. So, it was no surprise that they decided to align forces with him against me, just to pull me down. What they failed to realise is that they are merely helping to destroy their brother and not me. Nobody can take what I already have from me. And so, we went ahead secretly to organise our own party.

I had thought I could manage my emotions very well and pretend as if there was nothing wrong. But it was not easy. As soon as I heard J’s car drive into the compound, I had a mood swing, so strong I could feel the bile in my mouth. I was boiling inside that my temperature rose as one with a fever. Even J saw and acknowledged that something was wrong with me. He thought he was being caring by asking me silly questions about my health and the need for me to see a doctor to be sure I was all right. I was so mad, I wanted to scream and shout at him. To tell him he is the cause of my fever and insomnia. But I kept quiet. My own shocker will be sweeter than he could ever imagine, and I took solace in that.

To be continued,

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by titilayomi(f): 8:49am On Jul 09, 2007
waiting
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Beline(f): 1:57pm On Jul 09, 2007
please I'm waiting for the continuation
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 09, 2007
I was so mad, I wanted to scream and shout at him. To tell him he is the cause of my fever and insomnia. But I kept quiet. My own shocker will be sweeter than he could ever imagine, and I took solace in that.
If J suspected anything, he didn’t show it as well. From then, I started to notice certain little details I had never took notice of before. What would have appeared normal to me before the discovery now seemed strange, a confirmation of J’s infidelity. He was a bit on edge anytime I’m around.

Normally, we don’t arrive home before 8.00 or 9.00 p.m. So, even if he stayed out a bit later than that, I never bothered to ask why nor thought much of it. But now, everything he did seemed to confirm all I’d heard. I went about making plans for the mission. It hurts to know that your hard earned money would be going down the drain on some useless venture rather than a thousand and one profitable things.
Even though the money wasn’t coming directly from me, I still felt the pinch and anger at such a stupid venture. My mother too had donated some money to augment D and L’s expenses. On the Friday prior to the d-day, J informed me that he would be travelling to A for an important business meeting. He was right on the brink of striking a new deal, he said for the company and the profits was sure to take us to another level financially.

A new deal indeed, I thought, sniggering at him. I told him it was alright by me and would expect him back on Sunday evening. For the first time since the whole saga began, I felt really terrible. I couldn’t believe that J could be carrying out such atrocities against me and remain so calm. I couldn’t believe that someone who called himself my husband and father of our children could be capable of such back stabbing and treachery. In fact, I became convinced that J was capable of murder if one was not careful. That night, I wept like I’d never done in my life. I realised that for whatever it was worth, my life and marriage would never be the same again.

The following day, I dressed up with extra care, conscious of the type of impression and action I was going to cause. I was dressed to kill as they say. L and a group of friends had decided we must all appear in a uniform to show them that we were really prepared to take them on, and that we had been carefully planning for the ceremony. But for my black mood, I couldn’t have been much prettier on my own wedding day. I had invited 10 guests to accompany me; two of my friends, three couples who are family friends and my two sisters. Two house helps would do the serving.

The venue was O in A and we travelled in D’s Hiace bus. On arrival, pandemonium broke out as soon as they realised who we were. The ceremony was already well underway, so it took everyone by surprise when they saw our group approaching and singing. L led us, singing, (God has done it for us). All heads turned to see who we were.

Soon, tongues started wagging as the information was passed around. You know, though one couldn’t hear the comments, but it was evident by the look on their faces, what they were being told. When J turned round and saw L at the head of the delegation, followed by me and the rest of the troop, his countenance changed instantly.

He was uncomfortable as his head went down in shame or confusion, which ever. I refused to catch anyone’s gaze in particular, but all through, I watched J from the corner of my eyes. His bride was pregnant just as I’d been informed. Though well dressed, she didn’t look so pretty to me.

Honestly, I’m not talking out of jealousy. As a man, I would have done better than that. I wondered what my husband had seen in the woman. It was an insult to my person. If he’d chosen a real beauty, maybe I wouldn’t have felt so bad. An ugly tete with an illegitimate child already, was unbelievable. But as they say, monkey no fine, hin mama like am.

The crowd was fairly moderate and I quickly spotted a few faces that I know. J had been accompanied by many of his friends (excluding their wives, naturally) a few family members and his workers. Birds of the same feathers flock together. they say. Many of the people he invited already have similar skeletons in their wardrobes.

There was no need for us to introduce ourselves, one of their women came to welcome us with enough enthusiasm. Unfortunately for J, seats were provided for us in a conspicuous corner of the gathering, facing the love birds. J kept shifting around in his seat like one with craw-craw infested buttocks. The ceremony was stopped as we requested to be allowed to greet the bride’s parents formerly, so they would be aware of who we are. They too received us warmly and both sides pretended that all was well.

As the party progressed, I saw J whispering something to his bride’s ears. He got up with his purse and excused himself. That was the last we saw of him, till we left for home. J had disappeared from the scene of the wedding just as my mother predicted. When he did not show up after some times, the bride was asked his whereabouts and she said he’d gone to ease himself. When it became glaring that something was wrong, a small search was carried out and it was discovered that his car and driver had disappeared.

To be continued!

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Oluchia(f): 4:30pm On Jul 17, 2007
I just can't stop laughing! grin grin grin
That was very smart of her.
Good stories you have here, can't wait for the rest of the story.
But Na wa for Naija men. shocked
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by eireafric: 11:34am On Jul 18, 2007
@topic

please update the story i am really enjoying this.
thanks for the stories,

na wah for our nigerian men, give our women peace and love as deserved by them. Its unfair to treat a ones wife this way no matter what she must have done,
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Busybee1: 10:40pm On Jul 22, 2007
Ooooo,continue now!
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Busybee1: 10:41pm On Jul 22, 2007
Ooooo,continue now!
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Seun(m): 10:30am On Jul 23, 2007
Moved to Literature section.
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by rasulua(m): 12:43pm On Jul 23, 2007
Oooo!!! Y is it taking so long 2 cont now!!?
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by champredd(m): 4:59pm On Jul 23, 2007
These stories are really good keep them coming.
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 23, 2007
J was not at home, and did not show up until Monday morning when he was sure I would have gone out. The GSM was not in use then, so communication was not so easy. I was waiting for him, and so was his sweet bride who was my prisoner. Of course, he already knew that his lover was in our home, so I was not surprised that he looked quite sober and lost. I refused to acknowledge his countenance. He marched off into our room and I followed him. All my suppressed anger rose to the top again. I had so much trouble controlling myself.

I told him his wife was in the guest room and that he should feel free to go and see her. After all, in her condition, she would need his attention more than ever before, considering what she had gone through in the last 48 hours. J refused to answer me and this made me even more angry with him. I snapped and began calling him names, and shouting for B to come and meet her husband. J, who is very sensitive about what the neighbours would think, was forced to talk to me at last. He began to plead that I must control myself. That he is guilty of all I have accused him of, but there was nothing he could do to change what had already happened. That we all have to live with it and manage ourselves decently. Imagine, so he has now remembered that there is need to be decent about life. He promised to be back as soon as he had sorted B back at her flat. I shouted at him not to return to the house or he will have himself to blame for whatever happened to either of us.

When B came out into the living room, neither of them exchanged greetings. They just walked out of the house. To me, that marked the beginning of their separation. J returned home to plead with me that it was the work of the devil. That he was not even sure if the baby was his as he knew she had another male friend whom they had quarrelled about a couple of times. I told him he was just the coward that people had predicted he is. If he could impregnate a woman and go to the extent of conducting wedding ceremony with her and not be bold enough to tell me, then, he is not the man that I assumed he was. I didn’t know I was capable of all the things I was spilling from my mouth at him. It seemed as if someone just opened a tap and left it running. But, all through, J never uttered a word and at a point, I had to tell myself I was overdoing it.

Over the next week, I was informed that he went round the houses of all those that had accompanied me to his wedding ceremony to apologise to them, and also plead with them to talk to me. He said he had repented of his sins. His eyes were now very clear and he wants to make peace. If I would agree to his proposal, he was ready to dump B for good. The proposal was for me to help him raise B’s child. I rejected it in all entirety. Why should I be the one to take care of such a child? Would he have agreed to the same if he were in my shoes?

But, two years after B gave birth to the child, a girl, she was forced to hand her over to J. J had stopped visiting her as he promised everyone. She was just collecting an allowance for her baby’s upkeep through an arrangement with the office and J’s bank. I think she was probably advised by some people that she was in a no- win situation. I will not leave my husband because of her, and neither was my husband going to leave me for her. In fact, between B and me, there was no contest at all. J would have to leave the house and his family to be with her. This, J was not prepared to do for any reason. The strain which began right on their wedding day, deepened so much that the gulf could not be closed at all. That was how B and I parted ways.

I cannot say that I now have him caged. But, I know that he will think twice or thrice about the likely consequences before he will ever take such a step again for the rest of his life. Naturally, B has since found another man to latch on.

The END.

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by champredd(m): 5:45pm On Jul 23, 2007
Good work grin grin cool
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by rasulua(m): 9:25pm On Jul 23, 2007
I reli am impressed

plz sir can we av some more.
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Seun(m): 11:49am On Jul 24, 2007
What is GCF and who is Eve? I need a direct link to the web page(s) you copied this from.
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 24, 2007
GCF is Ghana Community Forum and Eve is a member.

Here is the link.

http://www.ghanacommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7015

I hope there is no prob! undecided
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by rasulua(m): 2:27pm On Jul 24, 2007
Seun whats d problem,u dnt like u like dis.
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 01, 2007
S (57), Engineer/Businessman narrates what happened after his young girlfriend got pregnant. What did S’s wife do? Find out as he kicks off his story below:

It is you women that cause everything. You will know that the man who is either interested in you, or you are interested in, is married from the moment you agree to date each other. Yet, you will never see enough reasons to keep off or keep the relationship at a manageable level. You may want to ask why men stray in the first place, knowing they are already taken. But, the simple truth is that a man must be a man. It is an innate character in men, so don’t ask why. No matter the colour, race, age, there is that animal instinct in every man. The spirit of adventure, variety. Some women do it as well, you just don’t hear it being discussed often.

In my own case, I didn’t plan to take a second wife. But, one thing led to another, and, before I knew it, I was heading for her parent’s place with a bottle of Schnapps and kola nuts. We had been going out for about two years then. I knew her boyfriend and how they parted. If she got another, I can’t tell, but she didn’t tell me about such again. So, it was assumed that we were dating seriously. We usually met at a guest house because she was living with her parents.

to be cont/d

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by zukkie4eva(f): 11:54am On Aug 22, 2007
nICE STORIES mICHELLE, vERY NICE, grin

wHERE'S tHE cONTINUATION??
Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 12, 2008
In my own case, I didn’t plan to take a second wife. But one thing led to another, and before I knew it, I was heading for her parent’s place with a bottle of Schnapps and kolanuts. We had been going out for about two years then. I knew her boyfriend and how they parted. If she got another, I can’t tell, but she didn’t tell me about such again. So it was assumed that we were dating seriously. We usually met at a guest house because she was living with her parents. I used to tell her about my wife and children. How we started with nothing more or less, and the way we made it to where we are.

My wife had been the pillar of support behind me. Though she didn’t have any money of her own to give me, but she stayed on when there was nothing. She managed to feed the family and clothe the children. She was a teacher before retiring into private business. This paid off well and the money started coming in. Today, her business is so big that she travels as far as Asia and Japan to source for goods. She is very good at turning money around.

I met R through a close friend’s girlfriend, though the couple (my friend and his girlfriend) are now separated. The lady was hosting a party and my friend had invited me. I took to R immediately. She was very intelligent and pleasant to be with. I promised to attend the party, if only R would be there. On the day of the party, I had some other things to do at home. My wife and I had to attend a burial ceremony that evening too. But I managed to stop over briefly on my way home from the office.

She was there, though the party had not started. I made my apologies and explained why I had to leave. I made her promise to see me at the office the following week. At first, she turned me down, but her friend told me not to worry, that she would work on her.

On the appointed date however, she did not show up and I was rather disappointed. Maybe I should have tried to forget her at that point. But I could not. I had been taken in by her beauty and composure.
A few days later, I talked my friend into paying his girlfriend a visit so I could make enquiries about my own. My friend has several and so doesn’t particularly see one too often. On getting there, the lady informed me that R (her friend) needed to be convinced that I would take proper care of her. According to her, she has a steady boyfriend who resides in America and whom she intends to marry.
If she goes out with me, there must be a purpose. Of course, I got the message and promised to abide by all her rules. R, after another two weeks of waiting, finally accompanied her friend to my office. Though we started dating, the relationship was not consummated until after another two months. The girl was just something else.

A couple of months after we started going out, her boyfriend came home from America, but he called off their relationship before he departed. I’d thought she would be devastated, but she took it rather calmly and things went on as before between us. Even better. I was more convinced that she would someday make someone a very happy man.

I started encouraging her to have another boyfriend so she too could settle down. Then she got herself one guy like that and the boy happened to be someone I knew well. The elder brother was an old friend. I thought the relationship would work out, but she kept complaining that the boy had too many girlfriends. She’d bumped into a couple of them at his flat and was already disillusioned with the whole thing. Soon, she told me she was not interested again, and we continued seeing each other.

I must confess that this girl is a very warm person. All my friends like and took to her almost immediately they meet her. She is also a very intelligent girl who could hold her own in any discussion. And I was very proud to be associated with her. She conceived twice in the course of the relationship and it was willingly terminated because she didn’t want to ruin my family, she said. Besides, she was more interested in getting a husband of her own.

In the third year of the relationship, I assisted her in buying a car so she could move around more freely. She didn’t like it when it rained and hated going out. Our relationship was only secret to both our families, our friends were all aware of what was going on. I took her for weekends in my country home and other places in and out of town.

It was really great for us both and I realised I had fallen in love with her. It was different from what I felt for my wife. With her, I felt like a young man all again. I felt loved and appreciated in a special way and I longed to be with her all the time. I was sure she felt the same way about me but just couldn’t admit it.

To be cont/d,

Re: Reality Fiction: Honey, Meet My New Wife! by JJYOU: 6:13pm On Oct 12, 2008
haha

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sugar Son / A Selection Of Notable Nigerian Books To Read / We Are Hiring!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.