Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,987 members, 7,799,381 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria (29675 Views)

10 Reasons Why Relationships Fail / This Is One Of The Strongest Reasons Why many Relationships fail. / Why Long Distance Relationships Fail... (must Read!!!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 6:22pm On Mar 01, 2011
Good food for thought. But cases may differ due to different circumstances in different places in Nigeria.

Hausa Fulanis are different from Igbos, Yorubas and other ethnic groups in the south of Nigeria.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Tinax(f): 7:18pm On Mar 01, 2011
non adventurous: most couples keep doing same thing in same way for yrs without trying out other ways. image hving sex on the same bed in an eccentric way for 10yrs, ! one'll freak out.
Authoritarian husband: am the head of the home so no one question my order.
Mutualy exclusive: do your thing i do my own
Lack of attention and appreciatn: you hardly notice her any more because she'v changed physically, from slim to orobo

these little things counts alot.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by alldone(m): 7:46pm On Mar 01, 2011
if we study the afore mention reason an learn to cope with them it can lead to a better marriage.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Tokotaya: 8:19pm On Mar 01, 2011
Great work by poster.
Of all the reasons, pride/ego kills marriages faster than anything else. Many educated married women in Nigeria today would find it difficult staying married if they suddenly come into more wealth than their husbands. If the man's income is does not significantly affect how they live or take care of their children, it's bye to humility and with it, marriage. For women who will remain married for life, there is only one creed: rich or poor, a man is the head of the home, and the woman is the neck. grin grin
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by nigerbabe: 9:14pm On Mar 01, 2011
Its not a matter of looking 4 who 2 blame but understanding d institution n taking responsibility
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by taosola(m): 9:37pm On Mar 01, 2011
What a good points!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by soreola(f): 10:41pm On Mar 01, 2011
Lack of perseverance- in every single marriage, couples will reach a point in time when they will be irritated by each other. Being aware of this fact will help a lot of couples.

Do you have an example where this isnt true, then its probably cause the spouses arent being real with each other , i.e. lack of intimacy

Intimacy like the OP said is not just about sex, but i believe OP refered to it as sex and romance (buyin flowers, massaging etc.), sure but thats not all,

Intimacy is quite an interesting phenomena, esp the non-physical aspect of it, its a lil difficult to explain but i will try,

It is one of the reason people suggest having ur spouse being ur bestfriend, it involves talking about everything and revealin all forms of feeling you have to ur spouse, r u feeling depressed?? u would let them kno, do u dislike some moves he makes in bed? ur spouse would kno, are u having feelings for someone at work( shocked) they would kno, so anything and everything,
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Beync(f): 11:03pm On Mar 01, 2011
Good points @poster.
To add to the reasons,  there is one who set the insitution called mariage and failure to follow his guidelines for successfull      mariage leads to falure in mariages.
He has given the three parties that make up the institution their responponsilbities
The husband is the head of the family and should head the family as a loving husband according his wife respect as christ deed to his followers.
The wife should be submisive to the husband as her head just like christ submits to God as his head
Children should obey they parents in the lord so as to have their reward from the lord.
If eveyone in the family try and maintain his/her obligation to each other, then families would experience more happiness than ever.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by mrperfect(m): 11:22pm On Mar 01, 2011
Thank you for your time. Personally I think is helpful.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:02am On Mar 02, 2011
interesting thread.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by 190: 1:13am On Mar 02, 2011
ALLOWING 3RD PARTIES IN TO THEIR RELATIONSHIP

**Raises hands up** angry angry

I AM A WITNESS TO THAT AND I CAN EVEN CONFESS grin grin

Poster can u add threating 2 leave an affair each time therez a mis understanding cheesy~
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by designteam: 5:21am On Mar 02, 2011
Sorry got banned thats why i could not continue, told u guys to read it up at voiceoutng, anyway here is the remaining 5

LACK OF COMMITMENT

Communication, Respect for one another and Committment to loving each other is what builds a long lasting relationship. The moment we show the lack of commitment into our marriage, then it begins to slide down, if one spouse is only committed to the marriage, it may become too heavy for him or her to carry, there by the spouse will let go, and that marriage will head for the rocks.

There is nothing as tasking and difficult as maintaining an healthy relationship, it is more difficult that running a successful business, it requires 100% commitment by both parties to make it work, they must be attune to each others’ feelings and needs, they must communicate their deepest desires and needs to their parties, they must respect each other for who they are.
When you decide to love, you will have the best of marriage.

DIFFERENT BACKGROUND

Different background does not necessary mean different tribes, it simply means different personalities, different value system, different beliefs’, different understanding of what love is. Some people know how to show love more than some people. Some people have different financial views, some men love to be frugal, save and invest in the future, some women just want to be lavish, spend, spend and spend.

Some men are reserved and dont love attention, but their spouse may be an extrovert that loves attention and fame whereever she goes. You must learn to study your partner and know your spouse very well, because you guys come from different backgrounds and value system. Gone were those days where people married only from the same community that shares the same background to a large system, but now things are different, every tribe in Nigeria has its own personal beliefs and way of doing things, which greatly influences their reasoning and behaviors.

ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP

Sexual Abuse, Physical Abuse, Emotional Abuse by either of the spouse is also a major cause why marriages are breaking. Physical abuse of women is on the high side in Nigeria, where women are considered second to man, the woman considers her husband as her owner which results in men physically abusing their wife at the slightest provocation, but nowadays due to civilization and protection of woman’s rights, the women are standing up to their husband’s if she is physically abused.

Emotional Abuse, is in the form of excessive jealousy, and being over possessive, or lack of love to your spouse, both spouses are usually guilty of this, and it can lead to the separation of couples. Where a woman wants to know where the man is at, every minute, or on sighting her husband conversing with a lady, she immediately blows hot and confrontational, or where by you lock your wife indoors 24hrs because you dont want anybody to see her beauty, for fear that they will woo her away from you, those are all acts of emotional abuse, and it will suffocate your other spouse, and he/she will eventually leave the marriage to have some breathing space. Even though you are married, you need to give your spouse some space, and not cage him/her due to our own abusive habits.

PHYSICAL CHANGES TO YOUR SPOUSE

If i was going to rate the causes of divorce rate in the world, i will put this at number 2, a man marries a young slim sexy petite lady, but after 10yrs giving birth to 2 children, and she is not the type that really watches her weight, she has now become 3 times her normal size, her breast is now fallen, her stomach is big, she does not spend time looking good, but usually dresses like an housemaid in front of her husband on a continuous basis, sooner or later a man will begin to loose his sexual attraction towards his wife, and would not even desire to touch her again, you may say he married for love, and not necessary her sexual body, you are so dead wrong, before a man marries a woman, he looks at the physical, before he proceeds to the character of the woman, although he may focus on the latter.

A man who was extremely healthy when he married his spouse, then suddenly he becomes impotent, maybe due to natural causes or by accident, the wife will find it difficult to stay with him forever, she will easily go for the exit door. Physical changes is a major challenge for married couples after 10years of marriage, they tend not to still be attracted physically to their spouse, it frequently happens to the men.

Couples should work hard at their marriage, which also means, they must look after their body and try to stay attracted to their spouse. Good eating and exercise habits can help to achieve this.

UNFULFILLED MARRIAGE EXPECTATIONS

Sometimes when a marriage does not fulfil its expectations for either parties, it really makes the marriage unhappy. It may be the expectation of a child in the marriage, that is not forth coming, or it may be that the wife expects that their financial status should have changed, and its not. There are lot of unfulfilled marriage expectations and sometimes it leads to marriage breakups.

NEXT WEEK TOPIC ON RELATIONSHIP TIPS
HOW TO MAINTAIN A LONG LASTING RELATIONSHIP.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Kingabz: 7:25am On Mar 02, 2011
[color=#000099][/color]me in persn hv issues in trustin people n if u had me trust u n u fails oh God help u coz it would b impossible 2 gain it bck
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Mcleo007(m): 8:01am On Mar 02, 2011
Without these 3 ingredients, every union is bound to fail. They are; Trust, Tolerance and Understanding. The moment these 3 are lacking, the relationship is doomed!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by hackney(m): 10:38am On Mar 02, 2011
With a terrible nigerian ex (lagos babe) it was all about money.
she didnt care who spoke to who or who got on with who.
she didnt care what was said or done or who is where, as long as there were places to go or things to see.

She just couldnt be a better person; couldnt have meaningful  conversations and was just very selfish to her own family.
(a first born at that).

She had been so hardened by a mixture of hardship, flashes of money from peers,clear-cut "if you dont have money you are finished" situations and so on that she was just simply irredeemable in her ways.

Even having a simple nice chat was difficult for her.

I just upped and left like the guy before me.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by klear(f): 12:08pm On Mar 02, 2011
Marriages fail 4 a lot of reasons:
People go in2 it thinkin it will solve dia problems, cover dia shortfalls or make dem feel complete. If u r nt complete b4 marriage, no marriage will complete u!
People expect a lot, are unrealistic & are unwilling to compromise.
They forget dat d only 3rd party dat should b n dia marriage is God ( not dia pastor, friend, mama, papa etc)
They are unwillin 2 leave dia baggages at the door. U are startin a nu life with s.one, y will u mess it up with d issues u had b4 u met ur partner?
Oh & LIES, which gives birth 2 lack of trust
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by yemas01(m): 12:32pm On Mar 02, 2011
the only one thing i know ,why so marriage are fail in nigeria is misunderstanding and the most important things is trust,some women now, are days didn't trust there husband. and for man is too common in nigeria man have girlfriend out side,and that thing we be disturb there marriage,and that thing can break there marriage.and my advice for marriage couple is to put God first in there marriage so that evil we not come to there ways ,
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:26pm On Mar 02, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin
naila guys can be funny even in serious moments, relationships
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Freesia(f): 7:10pm On Mar 02, 2011
Thanks for the post I believe on the most part it's a global issue on why marriages fail the "third party one" is one of the worst because after one of the spouses complains to his/her family members about their significant other.
The family members/friends continue to judge the person even after the couple have kissed and made up.It  starts becoming an embarrassment to the person who complained in the first place when the "third party" keep querying about their union like their lives depended on it undecided
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by dremoney(m): 12:16am On Mar 03, 2011
hackney:

With a terrible nigerian ex (lagos babe) it was all about money.
she didnt care who spoke to who or who got on with who.
she didnt care what was said or done or who is where, as long as there were places to go or things to see.

She just couldnt be a better person; couldnt have meaningful  conversations and was just very selfish to her own family.
(a first born at that).

She had been so hardened by a mixture of hardship, flashes of money from peers,clear-cut "if you dont have money you are finished" situations and so on that she was just simply irredeemable in her ways.

Even having a simple nice chat was difficult for her.

I just upped and left like the guy before me.

pele grin
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by sgtinfo(f): 3:20am On Mar 04, 2011
Nice one, just hope you'll take to it and secure your relationship first. lol.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by omoba4real: 3:22pm On Nov 07, 2011
Read this inspiring story about MARRIAGE:

When I got home that night as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said, I've got something to tell you. She sat down and ate quietly. Again I observed the hurt in her eyes.

Suddenly I didn't know how to open my mouth. But I had to let her know what I was thinking. I want a divorce. I raised the topic calmly.

She didn't seem to be annoyed by my words, instead she asked me softly, why?

I avoided her question. This made her angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at me, you are not a man! That night, we didn't talk to each other. She was weeping. I knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage. But I could hardly give her a satisfactory answer; she had lost my heart to Jane. I didn't love her anymore. I just pitied her!

With a deep sense of guilt, I drafted a divorce agreement which stated that she could own our house, our car, and 30% stake of my company.
She glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. The woman who had spent ten years of her life with me had become a stranger. I felt sorry for her wasted time, resources and energy but I could not take back what I had said for I loved Jane so dearly.
Finally she cried loudly in front of me, which was what I had expected to see. To me her cry was actually a kind of release. The idea of divorce which had obsessed me for several weeks seemed to be firmer and clearer now.

Read the rest of this story here http://soinspiringstories..com/2011/10/marriage.html
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by HIANA: 3:14pm On Sep 02, 2014
Wow am so excited that Dr Ikhine the powerful spell caster brought my ex lover back to me within 2 days after leaving me for the past 6 months I was frustrated until I met Dr Ikhine who help me to cast a spell that brought him back and now am so happy and my ex lover has just bought me a brown new car which he has never done before thank you very much Dr Ikhine for what you have done for me contact him on email agbadado@gmail.com and all your problem will be solved once and for all.

Call for urgent response +2347060552255
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by HIANA: 3:15pm On Sep 02, 2014
My husband also most divorce me when it was only 7 days remaining to divorce after been together for the pas 25 years of marriage because of a lady he wanted to get married to and he was telling me am too old for his likely and my greatest joy today is that my husband didn't married her again since i contacted a great man who help me to cast a spell to reunion my marriage with my husband and also told me that the lady wanted to married my husband because of his money and i thank God for using this man to solve my problems in my marriage contact him today on agbadado@gmail.com or call him on +2347060552255 if you are having similar problems and i also pay him for the things he need to cast the spell as he said and am happy that my husband is fully back for us with the help of this man.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by olaolu39(m): 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2015
learn the do and dont's of Relationship and Marriage; visit www.naijacouples.com
Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by Favourkings: 1:16pm On Jul 28, 2016
like I said how many cases do you know!obviously you are limited to newspaper tabloids!
even at that,majority of the cases as open for you to investigate further are mainly
1.the couples were always fighting and hostile(money problem)
2.the women complaining of too much sex demand from the husband(sex exploitation and assault)
3.forced or cajoled union in which the couples are no longer interested
4.deceit
5.infidelity
those are tabloids but the ones that don't make tabloids if I should start from 1 we no go finish

now,the issue you raised about wives who run to their mother to complain about sex from their husband is a big laugh!
a lot of these women courted their husbands for at least one year and they never ever had intimacy before they married(who are they deceiving).babe whey don't disvirgin tey,tey!
now for the woman that said she never had integer course until marriage day and is complaining(Bros HOw SHE TAKE KNOW SAY THE HUSBAND NO

PERFORM)
deception already working
can you see how overblown intimacy is!

now put the issue of money not available when needed, husband not around when needed
abusive relationship,third party interference,childlessness, negating cultures and compare to divorce. cases (sex is not it at all)
you can Quickly check out this article on the First page of http://everydaynigeria.com on relationships issues and their ultimate solutions, I believe it helps.

Re: 10 Reasons Why Marriages/relationships Fail In Nigeria by somtookeke(m): 7:46am On Dec 22, 2019

1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

When your Ex keeps destroying your present affair. / 13 Signs He’s Boyfriend Material That You Can End Up Happily Married To / Why Most Guys Pick Up On 'hints' And 'green Light' But Will Not Act

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.