Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,832 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! (15382 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 3:08pm On May 17, 2013
Stop letting people fool you all with their fake stories. The only people who are Yorubas are the Oyos, the Ibadan, Igbominas and the Ijeshas and their sub groups. The rest should strive to trace their real origin and stop pinning their destiny on one Oduduwa who himself was a latecomer to the land itself.

Oduduwa on his arrival about 500 years ago met a thriving organized community. South Westerners should stop falling for this Oduduwa blackmail. You are not from oduduwa. The Ijebus are Itsekiris etc etc. We shouldn't let all those Oyo and Ife people put us as subordinates to them. They are the Yorubas - not us
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 3:12am On May 24, 2013
foxxi4real: Stop letting people fool you all with their fake stories. The only people who are Yorubas are the Oyos, the Ibadan, Igbominas and the Ijeshas and their sub groups. The rest should strive to trace their real origin and stop pinning their destiny on one Oduduwa who himself was a latecomer to the land itself.

Oduduwa on his arrival about 500 years ago met a thriving organized community. South Westerners should stop falling for this Oduduwa blackmail. You are not from oduduwa. The Ijebus are Itsekiris etc etc. We shouldn't let all those Oyo and Ife people put us as subordinates to them. They are the Yorubas - not us

Are you okay foxxi4real?.you are probably not Yoruba ..You should be happy Yoruba blood runs in you, but i doubt if you are from southwest Yoruba region ,'with your slur.well if you choose to be beast of the jungle you can exempt yourself we don't need your kind

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 10:25am On May 24, 2013
Obalufon:

Are you okay foxxi4real?.you are probably not Yoruba ..You should be happy Yoruba blood runs in you, but i doubt if you are from southwest Yoruba region ,'with your slur.well if you choose to be beast of the jungle you can exempt yourself we don't need your kind
Obalufun, you can believe whatever you want to believe, you can help to twist history however you want, but one days when your children, my children and our children's children would have grown up, they would be busy rewriting our history the right and truthful way.

Has anyone ever wondered why almost (if not all) Yoruba Kings claim to come from Oduduwa? Wouldn't that be a scientific fallacy? considering the fact that even some of these town and villages had serious inter-tribal wars going, even during the time of Oduduwa himself.

A true Lagos (Eko) indigene for example, knows his ancestors came from Benin, (you can look that up also in your history book as I don't have all the time to teach you all that). Bini kingdom predates Oduduwa as you may also know. So why would a true son of Eko call himself omo Oduduwa? Is he helping himself or wrecking himself. The Ijebus are closely related more to Itsekiris than to the Oduduwa Yorubas.

Please if there is any contrary belief, please let me know intelligently and not just your childish ways of approaching things. This is an intellectual discussion and not one of stupidity and empirical beliefs.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 27, 2013
foxxi4real:
Obalufun, you can believe whatever you want to believe, you can help to twist history however you want, but one days when your children, my children and our children's children would have grown up, they would be busy rewriting our history the right and truthful way.

Has anyone ever wondered why almost (if not all) Yoruba Kings claim to come from Oduduwa? Wouldn't that be a scientific fallacy? considering the fact that even some of these town and villages had serious inter-tribal wars going, even during the time of Oduduwa himself.

A true Lagos (Eko) indigene for example, knows his ancestors came from Benin, (you can look that up also in your history book as I don't have all the time to teach you all that). Bini kingdom predates Oduduwa as you may also know. So why would a true son of Eko call himself omo Oduduwa? Is he helping himself or wrecking himself. The Ijebus are closely related more to Itsekiris than to the Oduduwa Yorubas.

Please if there is any contrary belief, please let me know intelligently and not just your childish ways of approaching things. This is an intellectual discussion and not one of stupidity and empirical beliefs.
Are you for real...your post is undiluted comedy. Eko ko, pap ni. Your benin people met the aworis in lagos. Tell an awo-ri man(core lagos indigene) he is not from ife, I hope you wait for him to break a bottle on your head. The ijebu are not from ife yet ode remo (heart of ijebu) indigenes migrated from i-remo and il-ode quarters in ife. This also applies to all other ijebu towns with the remo postfix e.g ilishan remo, isara remo, iperu remo, akarigbo of remo aka sagamu e.t.c Take note, iremo and ilode still exist in ife till date. Read up from the ijebu themselves here.

http://oderemopalace.org/history.htm

With regards to the Awori, It's all in the name of the yoruba subgroup, read it up from the real lagosians here.

http://www.awori.org/Pages/aboutus.aspx

If you don't have any proof to back up your own claims which are just a figments of your imagination anyway, then please, shut the f.cuk up. I hope you get the tutorial above into your head.

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by PhysicsQED(m): 10:43pm On May 27, 2013
^
He's not Bini. He's Apoi, as he stated himself in this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/704736/omoyele-sowore-owner-sahara-reporters/2#10210651

foxxi4real: People, Omoyele Sowore is an Ijaw man. take it like that.

Let me tell you a bit about the Apoi people. Many centuries ago, the migrated from a place in Bayelsa state and finally settled in Toru-Abukuba ( now Sabomi - sound Ijawish I guess) in Ese-Odo LGA in Ondo State. The Royal family later moved to Oboro and founded other towns including Igbekebo, Kiribo (Sowore's town), Oju Ala, Igbotu, Igbobini, Inikorogha (sounds Ijawish too I guess) and others.
They settled close to the Ilajes, Ikales and the Ijebus who were Yoruba speaking, because of their lost stay together, they intermarried heavily and slowly they began to lost their original Ijaw language. Presently, the Apoi speak Yoruba (the Ikale dialect), they NO MORE speak Ijaw. Just before lately, they title of their king was even 'Oba" until recently when they returned their original "Kalasuwe" (Kalasuo or Kalasue) title.

Consequently, Sowore is an Apoi (of Ijaw ancestry). If you call him a Yoruba man fine (from his names), if you call him an Ijaw man, fine (from his roots).

I am an Apoi (from Oboro) too, a blue-blood one for that matter, so I know what I am talking.

In conclusion, considering that the Yorubas claimed to have migrated from Mecca (Makkah), can we still refer to them as Makkans? Can we also refer to the Lagosians as Edos? (since they actually came from Benin). On this premise, I will like to conclude that the Apoi people can be seen as "Apoi" people. Because of the language they speak and their geographical location, if they are called Yorubas, there shouldn't be any problem. But definitely they are NOT Igbo or Hausa.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 9:43am On May 28, 2013
You can call yourself whatever you want, but just yesterday on a programme on Africa Magic (DStv), I heard the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi buttress the point that the Yorubas are actually those of Ife, Oyo, Igbomina stock etc. He refered to others as people who were already settled in the areas before the arrival of the Yorubas in these locations. If you want to understand history, you must first drop all the ideas that have been fed to you while you were still vulnerable, keep your heart open, think, reason, research, read wide and consult. You will discover yourself.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 10:13am On May 28, 2013
Did you also not hear the Awujale of Ijebu say that the Ijebus are from Sudan? This is a link to an article on it http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/06/25/ijebus-are-from-sudan-awujale-insists/

I welcome very constructive criticism and contributions please.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 1:05am On Jun 15, 2013
foxxi4real:

Are you Yoruba? if you don't know what race you belong to ,'you need to go for DNA test, I'm sure will be told where your DNA marker fall to in Africa , if you know are Yoruba and you are thinking this way,i guess you need to read more of history and purge your mind off self hatred ,Yoruba race is one the unique race of people in Africa.

There's a lot of myth about Oduduwa and yoruba history likewise every other history in the world , even the bible is full of myth but no one dare see logic to it or disbelieve it .

2 Likes

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 2:28am On Jun 15, 2013
Obalufon:

Are you Yoruba? if you don't know what race you belong to ,'you need to go for DNA test, I'm sure you will be told where your DNA marker fall to in Africa , if you know are Yoruba and you are thinking this way,i guess you need to read more of history and purge your mind off self hatred ,Yoruba race is one the unique race of people in Africa.

There's a lot of myth about Oduduwa and yoruba history likewise every other history in the world , even the bible is full of myth but no one dare see logic to it or disbelieve it .
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 12:18pm On Jun 15, 2013
Ok Obalufon. Let's just accept everything as it it and not question anything right? I hope we would be able to move forward as a nation this way.
The average Babalawo will tell you Oduduwa did not come from Mecca (or the east) as historians believe. They will tell you Oduduwa ro, (Oodua a t'ewon ro), Oduduwa, who climbed down from a chain.
Which do we believe?
The old 100 year old baba in who sacred enclave of Ile Ife or the Professor in his A/c'd office?
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 12:19pm On Jun 15, 2013
Ok Obalufon. Let's just accept everything as it is and not question anything right? I hope we would be able to move forward as a nation this way.
The average Babalawo will tell you Oduduwa did not come from Mecca (or the east) as historians believe. They will tell you Oduduwa ro, (Oodua a t'ewon ro), Oduduwa, who climbed down from a chain.
Which do we believe?
The 100 year old baba living in a sacred enclave of Ile Ife or the Professor in his A/c'd office?
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by tpia5: 8:42pm On Jun 20, 2013
obalufon

can you explain the meaning of the name (obalufon), plz.

I should look it up myself but will do so later, want to have a general idea of what i'm looking for first, if possible.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 11:49am On Jun 21, 2013
Obalufon is probably one of the slaves that were taken by the Alimi (fulanis), so he doesn't know where he is from but just trying to apply an unapplyable empirical formula to pin himself as Yoruba. He most probably is from Yobe or Zungeru
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 12:58pm On Jun 21, 2013
Obalufon, I wish to educate you a bit today as I see you are not so versed when it comes to critical thinking

Eko (Lagos)
Eko is an Edo word which means "War Camp". During their several expansion efforts when the Benin empire was at its peak of dominance and spread, some warriors settled at the present location of Lagos Island where they strategize (from where they waged war on Mahin towns (Mahin are the same Ilajes that brought up this argument). The Awori's (as you have opined) were the original settlers, and they have been occupying the land before the Bini people came.

Obalufon, have you ever visited Iga Idungaran in your life? Have you even seen a Lagos high chief in his full regalia? They tie heavy white wrappers up to their upper waist just like the Bini chiefs.(there is even a thread to that on this same Nairaland https://www.nairaland.com/654079/eko-ile-lagos-benin-town). So if you still want to learn, the Eko people (at least its royalties, are direct descendants from Benin) Even some eko words have Benin origin, Idungaran, Eletu Odibo, Ashipa etc are all Edo words corrupted. The Aworis, the Isheri Olofins were aborigines. Get that!

Oduduwa and Yoruba Origin
Like I mentioned before, Oduduwa came to Ile Ife most probably from Benin Kingdom (even the Edo oral tradition states this) When he got to Ile Ife, did he meet a barren, empty land? Did he not meet people already settling there? When he became the first Ooni of Ife, did he rule over insects and rats and grasses? or did he give birth to everybody in Ile Ife then?
When his grandson Oranyan (who he sent) became the first Alaafin of Oyo, did he meet an empty land in Oyo? were there not people living there? or did he give birth to all his subjects? Did he (Oranyan) not send his own children to rule over distant lands? Did his children rule over goats and rats and chickens? or did they give birth to everybody they ruled over? I think you have to think deeply and stop all these political ancestry story that did not start in Nigeria until the late 19th and early 20th century when the British arrived. Before the arrival of the British to Nigeria, everyone knew truthfully where they were from and who they were. Not until politics kicked in (because of the selfish aims of the rulers then) that they all started claiming they are all from Oduduwa. Very soon even the Babagry and the Egun people will start claiming they are from Oduduwa.

I have never seen any British man claim he is from King George or King Henry, and I have never seen any Scotish claim he is from William Wallace or whoever or an Italian man claim he is from Napoleon or an American claim he is from George Washington. They all are truthful and sensible and not gullible like us.

And you can argue over this also: His name is Olofin Adimula and his title is Oduduwa. (his name is not Oduduwa!!!)

Finally again, not every tribe in Yoruba land is from Olofin Adimula, the Oduduwa of Ile Ife.

Those who can claim lineage are the people who are descendants of Yoruba kings; and not all Yoruba kings for that matter.

Even the word Yoruba is a name that was given to the people by the Hausas as it was a derogatory word.

Note: It was only the advent of the British that brought about this notion of Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo. Those did not exist before now.

I hope I have been able to put some reasoning in your head. Learn! Learn!! Learn!!!
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by tpia5: 2:16pm On Jun 21, 2013
foxxi4real: Obalufon is probably one of the slaves that were taken by the Alimi (fulanis), so he doesn't know where he is from but just trying to apply an unapplyable empirical formula to pin himself as Yoruba. He most probably is from Yobe or Zungeru

its good you're exercising your imagination, nothing wrong with that.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 2:39pm On Jun 28, 2013
foxxi4real: Obalufon is probably one of the slaves that were taken by the Alimi (fulanis), so he doesn't know where he is from but just trying to apply an unapplyable empirical formula to pin himself as Yoruba. He most probably is from Yobe or Zungeru

You are out of your mind foxxi4real, You are not Yoruba so there is nothing to tell you, I'm legitimate Yoruba from ile- ife , Yoruba is a name given to people of Oyo empire in the 14-15 century By Malian scholar ,"the greatest African academician Ahmed Baba of Timbuktu" is even a known fact that some Yoruba scholars were teaching in sankore university in Timbuktu as far back as 14 century . Oyo empire was created by Oranmiyan "Ajagun Elenpe" A great warrior from ile-ife, he also established the oba dynasty in Benin . Have you ever read in history where Benin kingdom engaged in war with the Oyos Benin was ruling Lagos which is predominately Yoruba speaking region rather contesting it with benin, oyo empire rather move to near by port of Badagry, from the far North control Badary ,dahomey to Togo and left out other part of yoruba speaking region to Benin kingdom Ondo and ekiti because Benin dynasty and Yoruba came from one source ..

Oyo empire extended to present day Togo, controlled the River Niger to upper Volta river, ebbed the advances of the Ashanti empire and Akan ally "Battle of atakpame'" and took control of the upper Volta river .

Oduduwa symbolizes so many things first the creator of the world , he who brings enlightenment, telling you a story will only complicate issue here . Odudua is just a symbol of new Era new dimension after the great flood to the people of ILE-IFE. Oduduwa "ate wo ro'..He who came from heaven to earth . there is a place in ile-ife enshrined to Oduduwa called gate way to heaven ,a place where they believe oduduwa landed from heaven through a chain .

No yoroboid classified speaking region in Nigerian without oduduwa influence in their culture tradition .., Igala,, itsekiri, edo, even nupe, they all have a story to tell about this Man god , is hard to unravel the myth surrounding oduduwa.

DNA can tell you where your ethnicity belongs to ,So no need for argument , Yoruba know themselves, though some Yoruba might be purer in blood than the other due to intermarriage and expansion. Fulani never conquered Yoruba they just managed to take ilorin through afonja Oyo northern General who took advantage of state of deterioration of the empire strength in the south of the empire to secede for power ,Ilorin chose their fate to follow islam is Yoruba converted Muslims fighting Yoruba with help pf the Fulanis and Nupes

3 Likes

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 2:56pm On Jun 28, 2013
Obalufon:

You are out of your mind foxxi4real, You are not Yoruba so there is nothing to tell you, I'm legitimate Yoruba from ile- ife , Yoruba is a name given to people of Oyo empire in the 14-15 century By Malian scholar ,"the greatest African academician Ahmed Baba of Timbuktu" is even a known fact that some Yoruba scholars were teaching in sankore university in Timbuktu as far back as 14 century . Oyo empire was created by Oranmiyan "Ajagun Elenpe" A great warrior from ile-ife, he also established the oba dynasty in Benin . Have you ever read in history where Benin kingdom engaged in war with the Oyos Benin was ruling Lagos which is predominately Yoruba speaking region rather contesting it with benin, oyo empire rather move to near by port of Badagry, from the far North control Badary ,dahomey to Togo and left out other part of yoruba speaking region to Benin kingdom Ondo and ekiti because Benin dynasty and Yoruba came from one source ..

Oyo empire extended to present day Togo, controlled the River Niger to upper Volta river, ebbed the advances of the Ashanti empire and Akan ally "Battle of atakpame'" and took control of the upper Volta river .

Oduduwa symbolizes so many things first the creator of the world , he who brings enlightenment, telling you a story will only complicate issue here . Odudua is just a symbol of new Era new dimension after the great flood to the people of ILE-IFE. Oduduwa "ate wo ro'..He who came from heaven to earth . there is a place in ile-ife enshrined to Oduduwa called gate way to heaven ,a place where they believe oduduwa landed from heaven through a chain .

No yoroboid classified speaking region in Nigerian without oduduwa influence in their culture tradition .., Igala,, itsekiri, edo, even nupe, they all have a story to tell about this Man god , is hard to unravel the myth surrounding oduduwa.

DNA can tell you where your ethnicity belongs to ,So no need for argument , Yoruba know themselves, though some Yoruba might be purer in blood than the other due to intermarriage and expansion. Fulani never conquered Yoruba they just managed to take ilorin through afonja Oyo northern General who took advantage of state of deterioration of the empire strength in the south of the empire to secede for power ,Ilorin chose their fate to follow islam is Yoruba converted Muslims fighting Yoruba with help pf the Fulanis and Nupes
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 4:18pm On Jun 28, 2013
foxxi4real: Obalufon, I wish to educate you a bit today as I see you are not so versed when it comes to critical thinking

Eko (Lagos)
Eko is an Edo word which means "War Camp". During their several expansion efforts when the Benin empire was at its peak of dominance and spread, some warriors settled at the present location of Lagos Island where they strategize (from where they waged war on Mahin towns (Mahin are the same Ilajes that brought up this argument). The Awori's (as you have opined) were the original settlers, and they have been occupying the land before the Bini people came.

Obalufon, have you ever visited Iga Idungaran in your life? Have you even seen a Lagos high chief in his full regalia? They tie heavy white wrappers up to their upper waist just like the Bini chiefs.(there is even a thread to that on this same Nairaland https://www.nairaland.com/654079/eko-ile-lagos-benin-town). So if you still want to learn, the Eko people (at least its royalties, are direct descendants from Benin) Even some eko words have Benin origin, Idungaran, Eletu Odibo, Ashipa etc are all Edo words corrupted. The Aworis, the Isheri Olofins were aborigines. Get that!

Like I mentioned before, Oduduwa came to Ile Ife most probably from Benin Kingdom (even the Edo oral tradition states this) When he got to Ile Ife, did he meet a barren, empty land? Did he not meet people already settling there? When he became the first Ooni of Ife, did he rule over insects and rats and grasses? or did he give birth to everybody in Ile Ife then?
When his grandson Oranyan (who he sent) became the first Alaafin of Oyo, did he meet an empty land in Oyo? were there not people living there? or did he give birth to all his subjects? Did he (Oranyan) not send his own children to rule over distant lands? Did his children rule over goats and rats and chickens? or did they give birth to everybody they ruled over? I think you have to think deeply and stop all these political ancestry story that did not start in Nigeria until the late 19th and early 20th century when the British arrived. Before the arrival of the British to Nigeria, everyone knew truthfully where they were from and who they were. Not until politics kicked in (because of the selfish aims of the rulers then) that they all started claiming they are all from Oduduwa. Very soon even the Babagry and the Egun people will start claiming they are from Oduduwa.

I have never seen any British man claim he is from King George or King Henry, and I have never seen any Scotish claim he is from William Wallace or whoever or an Italian man claim he is from Napoleon or an American claim he is from George Washington. They all are truthful and sensible and not gullible like us.

And you can argue over this also: His name is Olofin Adimula and his title is Oduduwa. (his name is not Oduduwa!!!)

Finally again, not every tribe in Yoruba land is from Olofin Adimula, the Oduduwa of Ile Ife.

Those who can claim lineage are the people who are descendants of Yoruba kings; and not all Yoruba kings for that matter.

Even the word Yoruba is a name that was given to the people by the Hausas as it was a derogatory word.

Note: It was only the advent of the British that brought about this notion of Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo. Those did not exist before now.

I hope I have been able to put some reasoning in your head. Learn! Learn!! Learn!!!

What are you trying to instill here foxxi4real "That ilaje and other Yoruba speakers are not kins? ". Ilaje are from ife-ile get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 4:46pm On Jun 28, 2013
foxxi4real: Obalufon, I wish to educate you a bit today as I see you are not so versed when it comes to critical thinking

Eko (Lagos)

You must be stupid foxxi4real ,to build an empire you have to unity all your tribes under one force, that is what Oranmiyan did he established Yoruba boundary and created a frontier .he made expedition to Nupe and Borgu..he is the progenitor of Yoruba as a race ,ile-ife is the ancestral home of all Yoruba .the source "prior to coming of Oduduwa we were all scattered ,even till now you can still find some Yoruba dialect speaker in Niger=delta the lukumi, itsekiri .Benin republic Togo and some from Ghana tracing their linage to ile-ife . which can not be classified as Yoruba because they predate oranmyan coming and they were never brought under the banner of Yoruba empire
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 5:25pm On Jun 28, 2013
Obalufon, you need to get a little more knowledge. From the language of your writing, I can predict you are in your mid/late twenties. Try to educate yourself more, do research and do a thorough soul searching before you take a stance. The world is too advanced for hearsay, find out for yourself.

There is nowhere in this thread I have said the Ilaje's are not Yorubas. But I wished you ask an Ilaje High Chief about the origin of the Ilaje's; you will be surprised.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 6:09pm On Jun 28, 2013
[quote author=foxxi4real]Obalufon, you need to get a little more knowledge. From the language of your writing, I can predict you are in your mid/late twenties. Try to educate yourself more, do research and do a thorough soul searching before you take a stance. The world is too advanced for hearsay, find out for yourself.

There is nowhere in this thread I have said the Ilaje's are not Yorubas. But I wished you ask an Ilaje High Chief about the origin of the Ilaje's; you will be surprised.[/quote

What is your bone of contention then foxxi4real I have gone through your comment several times, I can discern your feeling about Yoruba "You hate them!! Are you ilaje? my maternal lineage is from ilaje IMAHIN Royal house . i know what you are saying ,ugbo story , how they left ile-ife..

If you are Yoruba dialect speaker be proud
https://www.nairaland.com/1239208/short-history-yorubaland-pictures#14963684
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 12:59pm On Jun 29, 2013
I am proud I speak Yoruba, I am proud I live in Yoruba land and I am proud I am Yoruba. Yorubas are intelligent people, civilized people, beautiful people and exposed people, that's the reason why everyone wants to identify with them.

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by tpia5: 3:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
^bro, na on top money abi wetin?
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 6:34pm On Jun 29, 2013
foxxi4real: I am proud I speak Yoruba, I am proud I live in Yoruba land and I am proud I am Yoruba. Yorubas are intelligent people, civilized people, beautiful people and exposed people, that's the reason why everyone wants to identify with them.

Wowwwwwww!! i;m so impressed .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8yQmfQsyc
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Dsecret: 5:23pm On Jun 30, 2013
Wow interesting.i like how the argument ended.Thumbs up guys
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by babaakin: 2:24pm On Sep 21, 2013
Read the history of the Ijaw,i hope this will help you to know that the Yoruba people are special.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by olumidaie(m): 7:36pm On Sep 23, 2013
foxxi4real: Obalufon, you need to get a little more knowledge. From the language of your writing, I can predict you are in your mid/late twenties. Try to educate yourself more, do research and do a thorough soul searching before you take a stance. The world is too advanced for hearsay, find out for yourself.

There is nowhere in this thread I have said the Ilaje's are not Yorubas. But I wished you ask an Ilaje High Chief about the origin of the Ilaje's; you will be surprised.
it seems u are out of ur mind. Come to Mahin here in Ilaje local govt and tell us that we aren't Yorubas and see if u wouldn't be burnt.

Aside me, there are other Ilajes and Ikales here on this site like Ilaje94 of something.

Proudly Mahin;
proudly Ilaje;
proudly Ondo state;
proudly YORUBA;
PROUDLY OODUA!!!!!!!!!

Ire ooh!!

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by foxxi4real: 9:23am On Sep 26, 2013
olumidaie: it seems u are out of ur mind. Come to Mahin here in Ilaje local govt and tell us that we aren't Yorubas and see if u wouldn't be burnt.

Aside me, there are other Ilajes and Ikales here on this site like Ilaje94 of something.

Proudly Mahin;
proudly Ilaje;
proudly Ondo state;
proudly YORUBA;
PROUDLY OODUA!!!!!!!!!

Ire ooh!!
No need to bring about the foul language. It has been settled. You are YORUBA, please let me be in peace. Thank you for your (anticipated) cooperation
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by olumidaie(m): 4:27pm On Sep 26, 2013
foxxi4real:
No need to bring about the foul language. It has been settled. You are YORUBA, please let me be in peace. Thank you for your (anticipated) cooperation
thats true bro. Peace, no need for foul language. It was just that your post were sort of bringing divide to the Yoruba people. By the way which ethnicity or nationality do you belong to? Just asking, you could ignore it.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by macof(m): 8:58pm On Sep 15, 2014
See beautiful thread that needs resurrection
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Odunharry(m): 10:02am On Sep 16, 2014
macof: See beautiful thread that needs resurrection
i dy tel u
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Syogbe(m): 5:39pm On Aug 17, 2015
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/08/ugbo-ilajes-place-in-yoruba-history-by-oba-akinruntan/
Ugbo-Ilaje’s place in Yoruba history, by Oba Akinruntan
• By Niyi Bello on August 14, 2015
Akinruntan
CONTRARY to claims by historians and some sections of oral tradition that the Ugbo people were driven away from Ile-Ife at the beginning of the Oduduwa Dynasty, the Olugbo and paramount ruler of the Ugbo-Ilaje people of the coastal stretch of Ondo State, said that his people left Ife out of their own volition.
The Ugbo-Ilaje, a sub-ethnic group of the larger Yoruba culture who presently occupy the country’s western coastline of the Atlantic ocean with fishing as the mainstay of their economic activities, have been confirmed by various historical sources and through living traditions to be the original inhabitants of Ile-Ife who had been living in the ancient community centuries before the arrival of Oduduwa and his people “from the East.”
Now occupying the bank of the “great waters”, the Ugbo-Ilaje, the only Yoruba grouping living in an aquatic environment with traditional spiritual links to the ocean through the worship of Malokun, the water deity which also signifies thir believe in the mightiness and richness of the vast ocean, the Ilaje are itinerant fishermen known for their seafaring exploits along the West African and Central African coastline.
The Olugbo, a First Class monarch, who resides at Ode-Ugbo, their ancestral home, reigns over about two hundred small kingdoms scattered along the 80-kilometer coastal stretch of Ondo State and to signify the uniqueness of the stool and the importance of fishing to the tradition of the people, the biggest fish, when caught, is always reserved for the Olugbo.
A recent disclosure in The Guardian by Ambassador Olu Agbi, a professor of History, in the wake of the controversy over the demise of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, had stated that the Ugbo people were forced to flee a land they had been occupying for centuries “because of the overbearing influence of Oduduwa against the aborigines.”
But the Olugbo, Oba Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan, told The Guardian while responding to the Agbi claim, that “it is true that we were the original inhabitants of Ife, but our history told us that we left, not because we were craven away but because the land was not fertile enough for our economic activities.”
The Olugbo who cited many authorities to back his claim, said the Moremi story, a historical narrative that is still being observed today in Ile-Ife as a festival, rather than confirm that the Ugbo people were driven away, only strengthen the fact that the original inhabitants were physically and spiritually stronger that the newcomers. According to Oba Akinruntan, “the Ugbo people were the original custodians of the spiritual art of divination through the Ifa oracle and it was the oracle that directed the inhabitants of Ife to leave the place and move southwards.
The raid on the Ife community that led to the sacrifice of Moremi’s son, Ela, confirmed that the original settlers were ahead of the newcomers in the art of warfare. ‘It was only through divine consultations that the Ife settlers were able to free themselves from the raids by the Ugbo people during which our forebears in Ugbo seized slaves and women from Ife. History taught us that the raids were as a result of the hostilities between the two groups back then in history.
“We were not driven out of Ife. Ifa and Osanyin deity directed that our ancestors should move southwards to the body of great waters because Ife was baren. Ugbo in our dialect means “this is where we are to stay” and we settled at Ode-Ugbo. “Oraife, a very important historical figure which has a shrine in Ife was the father of Osangangan Obamakin, the progenitor of the Ugbos and it is the same personality as Oranmaken who was the Olugbo when Moremi was carried off as a slave to Oke Maforanga, the war camp of the Ugbos which is located at a place near today’s Oke-Igbo.”
Relying on oral Ugbo palace tradition and current cultural linkages between the Ugbo and Ife, the Olugbo said “according to oral history, sixteen broad-chested men were always leading raids against Ife and when Moremi eventually made a deal and the raiding gang was busted when the secrets of their costumes leaked, seven of the raiders from Ugbo stayed back while nine found their way back to Ugbo. “Those who stayed back in Ife, till today, still maintained their Ugbo links and anytime that the Ugbo palace is celebrating anything, they always send representatives.
For instance, they are always present at my coronation anniversary to maintain a tradition that they have been observing for centuries. “As I speak to you, the old palace of the Ugbo is still at Iremo quarters of Ile-Ife and the people of the quarters they occupy in Ife could be found in Baba Sigidi, Obawinrin and Obagio. They are there and they still maintain their links with Ugbo.”
When asked the origin of the Ugbo people if the Oduduwa Dynasty came from another place, Olugbo said, “We are the original atewonro because our ancestors descended from heaven. Our story of creation must have been accredited wrongly to Oduduwa. We came from nowhere but heaven.
That is why part of our cognomen refers to us as “Ugbo Atorunwo”, meaning a people that descended from heaven.” To confirm the historical importance of the Ugbo stool and its history, Oba Akinruntan referred to the submission of Olukoya Ogen in a lecture delivered by the Professor of History titled “History, Politics and Ethnicity: A Critique of the Existing Canons of Yoruba Historiography”, where the Ugbo crown was described as the oldest in Yoruba land because it predated the Oduduwa Dynasty.
The Olugbo also referred, in his words “for emphasis” to the submission of the Oba of Benin, Omo N’Oba Erediuawa in his book “I remain, Sir, Your Obedient Servant” where the Benin monarch said the Ugbo people were “the ancient settlers at Ife” before they moved to their present day location and also referred the yearly ritual of reenactment of the movement of the Ugbo in Ife today.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Beautiful City Of Kano / Emir Sanusi Celebrates 2 Years In Power / No More Witches In Ile-Ife - Ooni Of Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.