Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha (6235 Views)

Nampak To Build $100m Glass Factory In Nigeria / Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha / Nafdac Discovers Fake Brewery In Zaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by wesley80(m): 5:14pm On Mar 01, 2011
SABMiller is looking to up its presence in the Heineken-dominated Nigerian beer market, with the construction of a new brewery in the country.

The company's African division has confirmed today (1 March) that it will spend around US$100m on the new facility in Onitsha in the south-east of the country. The Anambra State Government and other – unnamed - Nigerian investors will hold up to 20% of the shares in the new business, SABMiller said.

On completion, the brewery, which is expected to produce Grand Lager, Eagle, and Castle Milk Stout among other brands, will have the capacity to produce 500,000 hectolitres of beer and malt beverage with the capability to bottle water and other beverages. Prior to construction, SABMiller will set up a distribution depot on the site.

Construction is expected to complete by July 2012.

“Today’s announcement is an indication of our commitment to increase our capacity further and to consolidate our position as a leading international brewer on the African continent whilst contributing positively to the local communities in which we operate,” said Mark Bowman, SABMiller Africa's managing director.

Earlier this year, Heineken, which already holds a 55% share of the Nigerian beer market through its Nigerian Breweries and Consolidated Breweries units, lined up the purchase of five more breweries in the country. Also present in the country's beer marker is Diageo, primarily through its Guinness brand.

http://www.just-drinks.com/news/sabmiller-to-challenge-heineken-in-nigeria-with-brewery-build_id103217.aspx

Now that's one helluva market if u ask me. Where others including some very shameless Nigerians see nothing but kidnapping, Corruption and all other vices their dull brains have been programmed to observe, serious business are making a kill and reaping huge benefits.

Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by onyengbu1(m): 5:22pm On Mar 01, 2011
That is Peter Obi's company!
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by wesley80(m): 5:25pm On Mar 01, 2011
^^^ Says who?
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by onyengbu1(m): 6:01pm On Mar 01, 2011
wesley80:

^^^ Says who?

It is an open secret here in anambra that Peter Obi 'owns' Grand and Castle brands so its no surprise seeing them suddenly want to set up a brewery in Onitsha joined by 'innamed' nigerian investors.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by naijaking1: 8:38pm On Mar 01, 2011
onye_ngbu:

That is Peter Obi's company!

Does Peter Obi own Coca-cola too

1 Like

Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by excanny: 8:49pm On Mar 01, 2011
onye_ngbu:

It is an open secret here in anambra that Peter Obi 'owns' Grand and Castle brands so its no surprise seeing them suddenly want to set up a brewery in Onitsha joined by 'innamed' nigerian investors.

There's nothing wrong if he owns it.

In the end, more jobs are created in the state. It's a lot better than investing the money elsewhere.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by buzugee(m): 8:53pm On Mar 01, 2011
yeah just what we need. another brewery to solve our problems cry
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by EkoIle1: 9:16pm On Mar 01, 2011
Get your drink on, lmao
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by buzugee(m): 9:58pm On Mar 01, 2011
Eko Ile:

Get your drink on, lmao
grin
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by wesley80(m): 10:59pm On Mar 01, 2011
@onye ngbu
Peter Obi with all due respect, doesnt own crap! SABMiller is aworld class international company of -I think- SA origin. Y not take out one minute to google it online b4 infecting others with your ignorance?
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by presido1: 11:16pm On Mar 01, 2011
Dude you can say he owns the franchise to market their product in Nigeria, that doesn't mean he owns the company. Its a SA company HQed in London.
SAB(South African Brewery) They added miller when they acquired Miller Brewery to have SABmiller.
More jobs/alcohol brands for Nigerians.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by excanny: 11:42pm On Mar 01, 2011
presido1:

Dude you can say he owns the franchise to market their product in Nigeria, that doesn't mean he owns the company. Its a SA company HQed in London.
SAB(South African Brewery) They added miller when they acquired Miller Brewery to have SABmiller.
More jobs/alcohol brands for Nigerians.

Since they'll be manufacturing on site I doubt that.

It's most likely he end up being one of the unnamed shareholders out of the 20% allotted for local investment.

I just hope the Anambra state gov gets a larger share of the 20%. That means more sources of revenue to put the state in shape in areas of infrastructure and the likes.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by presido1: 11:49pm On Mar 01, 2011
excanny:

Since they'll be manufacturing on site I doubt that.
If they start manufacturing on site then the franchise will stop. But before then he might be the one that own the franchy that was why he said he owned the company.IMO

It's most likely he end up being one of the unnamed shareholders out of the 20% allotted for local investment.
This is a sure bet. If the 20% is not for him alone.

[/quote]I just hope the Anambra state gov gets a larger share of the 20%. That means more sources of revenue to put the state in shape in areas of infrastructure and the likes.[quote]
This will be nice for Anambra and Nigeria at large.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by Nobody: 11:55pm On Mar 01, 2011
wesley80:

SABMiller is looking to up its presence in the Heineken-dominated Nigerian beer market, with the construction of a new brewery in the country.

The company's African division has confirmed today (1 March) that it will spend around US$100m on the new facility in Onitsha in the south-east of the country. The Anambra State Government and other – unnamed - Nigerian investors will hold up to 20% of the shares in the new business, SABMiller said.

On completion, the brewery, which is expected to produce[b] Grand Lager, Eagle, and Castle Milk Stout [/b]among other brands, will have the capacity to produce 500,000 hectolitres of beer and malt beverage with the capability to bottle water and other beverages. Prior to construction, SABMiller will set up a distribution depot on the site.

Construction is expected to complete by July 2012.

“Today’s announcement is an indication of our commitment to increase our capacity further and to consolidate our position as a leading international brewer on the African continent whilst contributing positively to the local communities in which we operate,” said Mark Bowman, SABMiller Africa's managing director.

Earlier this year, Heineken, which already holds a 55% share of the Nigerian beer market through its Nigerian Breweries and Consolidated Breweries units, lined up the purchase of five more breweries in the country. Also present in the country's beer marker is Diageo, primarily through its Guinness brand.

http://www.just-drinks.com/news/sabmiller-to-challenge-heineken-in-nigeria-with-brewery-build_id103217.aspx

Now that's one helluva market if u ask me. Where others including some very shameless Nigerians see nothing but kidnapping, Corruption and all other vices their dull brains have been programmed to observe, serious business are making a kill and reaping huge benefits.
Big boys don't drink cheap beers.All these ones sound like kain-kain to me. anyways more shepe to the ibo folks. grin
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by wesley80(m): 12:08am On Mar 02, 2011
^^^ Cheap jibe from someone whose favorite beer is 'Double Three (33)' .
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by ekubear1: 12:12am On Mar 02, 2011
lol @ Russia in that picture.

Nation of alcoholics.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by Nobody: 12:15am On Mar 02, 2011
wesley80:

^^^ Cheap jibe from someone whose favorite beer is 'Double Three (33)' .
Fyi,I don't drink but I have friends who spend heavily on beer and wines; and what they drink most range from heineken,star,stout and gulder .so who's going to buy these inferior beers that sound like tusk or extinct satzenbrau.
rOFLMAo
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by wesley80(m): 12:27am On Mar 02, 2011
^^^ FYI, I'm about giving up drinking, But I have friends that have great taste for new beers. B4 I left skool, the latest fad was 'Turbo king' and it was beginning to catch up all over campus, and boy did they luv it!
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by presido1: 12:29am On Mar 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Fyi,I don't drink but I have friends who spend heavily on beer and wines; and what they drink most range from heineken,star,stout and gulder .so who's going to buy these inferior beers that sound like tusk or extinct satzenbrau.
rOFLMAo
That shouldn't be your problem. Poor people are more in Nigeria that will patronise them. Let the bigger bois drink Heny and Star. For every bigger boi you will have 20 smaller/poor bois. If the bigger boi drink 3 heny 20 smaller bois will drink 20 to 50 eagle. Who made a bigger sale? That is business for you bigger/quicker turnover bigger profit.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by naijaking1: 12:33am On Mar 02, 2011
eku_bear:

Nation of alcoholics.

That's so funny. The sharia states "openly" prohibit alcohol, but they still share in the revenues from the thing undecided
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by Nobody: 12:36am On Mar 02, 2011
presido1:

That shouldn't be your problem. Poor people are more in Nigeria that will patronise them. Let the bigger bois drink Heny and Star. For every bigger boi you will have 20 smaller/poor bois. If the bigger boi drink 3 heny 20 smaller bois will drink 20 to 50 eagle. Who made a bigger sale? That is business for you bigger/quicker turnover bigger profit.
Are you serious ? Who told you the small boys are not hustling hard to drink the popular brands ? Go to motorparks and see those touts drinking star or gulder.
the top brands despite being more expensive are being patronised better.I can't recall the last time I saw a bottle of tusk or satzenbrau .
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by presido1: 12:45am On Mar 02, 2011
^^^ Many drink alchohol just to get the feeling so it does not matter which brand they take. An alchoholic can drink anything as far as he can afford it.
If check well in the same motor park you will see people drinking other brands.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by excanny: 2:07am On Mar 02, 2011
^^^
Dont mind those folks who know nothing about beers.

Someone that will probably 'die off' after just a cup, and has no clue how consumers prefer their drinks. You think say na name be beer?

I think I've seen some of these brands in the east before.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by excanny: 2:11am On Mar 02, 2011
eku_bear:

Nation of alcoholics.

I dont think they can outshine the Germans.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by bashr4: 3:04am On Mar 02, 2011
more shayo for the irate nigerian youths grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by chinakobo(m): 12:19pm On Mar 02, 2011
Thats a welcome development for Anambra state. This will up competition in beverages and will surely see other brands sitting up. Kudos peter obi. Though Awka is still upside down in terms of infrastructural developments like access roads to streets, street lights, potable water and public relaxation spots.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by delimit(m): 12:22pm On Mar 02, 2011
Every product (beer) have their own market
so stop debating on which one is selling or not
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by member479760: 12:26pm On Mar 02, 2011
This is a good development - thats jobs. some Ibos from Lagos can go back, take the job and help demsef.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by Basics007: 12:46pm On Mar 02, 2011
I'm suprised noone has mentioned this. But a major impediment to investors influx into Naija is d issue of kidnapping. I know definitely that expatriates will be involved in d construction of the factory. If their safety is not assured that factory may not see the light of the day in our lifetime.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by obowunmi(m): 12:56pm On Mar 02, 2011
Thank God for churches in Nigeria --- they want to destroy the lives of Nigerians with beer --- hmmm mmm mmmm
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by mrjingles(m): 1:07pm On Mar 02, 2011
Basics007:

I'm suprised noone has mentioned this. But a major impediment to investors influx into Naija is d issue of kidnapping. I know definitely that expatriates will be involved in d construction of the factory. If their safety is not assured that factory may not see the light of the day in our lifetime.
So you think a company that operates in 75 countries accross 5 continents and is the second largest brewer by revenues will go into a $100million investment without doing analysis that recognises the security risk in Nigeria? So its you on this forum that will "inform" them why the project will fail? Oga understand things before you talk please.
Re: SABMiller To Build $100m Brewery In Onitsha by scholes0(m): 1:42pm On Mar 02, 2011
Foreign companies trying to exploit our population potential, ,
I dont like that

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Approval Rating / LASTMA Bars Junior Officers From Arresting Traffic Offenders / KADUNA DECIDES- EL-RUFAI VS Yero...as It Happens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.