Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,968 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

The Nigerian Major Who Forged His Divorce - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Nigerian Major Who Forged His Divorce (2830 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / My 63-year-old Wife Starves Me Of Sex, Divorce-seeking Septuagenarian Tells Cour / Man Seeks Divorce Because Wife Ran Mad After Extra-marital Affair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Major Who Forged His Divorce by aloyemeka1: 3:44am On Mar 03, 2011
The forgery army is condoning

By Peter Nkanga

February 13, 2011 02:34AM print email

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=GxrT4iV9gmGx5S3XDBH_pi6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxQq7gfjX4Tx7Le91ZzG5ZqPnW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]

The forgery of court document is a criminal offence which carries a seven-year jail term. But the Nigerian Army does not seem to consider the offence such a big deal. When told how Paul Egbo, a Major in the army’s medical corp[b]s, allegedly forged divorce papers to enable him leave his wife and take up with another woman, a female army officer, an official letter from the Chief of Army staff said the offence is of no concern to the army.
[/b]
In May 2006, Mr Egbo, a native of Delta State, while serving in Maiduguri, Borno State, decided he wanted out of his 12-year marriage to Uche Egbo. He called Mrs. Egbo, a house wife and mother of their three children living in their home at the Ojo military cantonment in Lagos State, and told her that the marriage is over because God had told him to marry another woman.

He then changed his salary account from which Mrs. Egbo and the children take money for their monthly upkeep. Mrs. Egbo remembers that for the next eighteen months, up till September 23, 2007, her husband and father of their children only came home once; and that was to pack his belongings.

“He came from Maiduguri to pack his things. I told him that if he takes everything how does he want us to cope, that why has he abandoned his family, that he should make arrangement for his children’s upkeep,” Mrs Egbo said, “Instead he accused me of being a criminal and got me arrested. I was taken to the guardroom and would have remained there if not for an officer who intervened. But he took everything and left us with nothing.”

Mrs. Egbo’s ordeal was not over. On May 20, 2008, Military Police personnel came to her home and handed her a Lagos State High Court order dated December 31, 2007, which declared her marriage to Mr. Egbo dissolved. On the orders of her husband, they had come to evict her with immediate effect from the house.

“It was only because the cantonment commandant, Lieutenant Colonel Apere, intervened that I was spared. He instructed Paul to come and sort things out himself because the army gave the house to him and not me,” said Mrs. Egbo, who hails from Anambra State.

Being the only child of an elderly pensioner mother, Mrs. Egbo was totally dependent on her husband. Now abandoned, she became a wreck. Unable to bear the psychological trauma any longer, she moved out of the barracks in September 2008 and began squatting with some acquaintances.

To put food on the table, she started doing menial jobs. She could not pay her children’s school fees, and they had to miss one year of school. She and her three children practically lived off handouts from sympathizers.

A case of forgery

It was in this condition that Kayode Ogunjobi, a lawyer, met Mrs. Egbo. Filled with compassion, he took up her case free of charge and ran a check on the decree nisi and the decree absolute allegedly issued by the court dissolving the marriage. The response from the Lagos State judiciary in a letter dated July 17, 2008 revealed that Mr. Egbo’s documents were fake.

“We have checked our records and we report that the document did not emanate from the High Court of Lagos State as Suit No. HD/241/2007 does not exist in our records,” wrote Mariam Emeya, then a Chief Magistrate. “Furthermore it is very obvious that the document is fake as Mr. A. Ola Dada, the ACR (Assistant Chief Registrar) Litigation who purportedly signed the letter in 2007 retired in 2005.”

Mrs. Emeya, who at the time was also the deputy chief registrar of administration in the Lagos State High Court, further observed that a decree nisi only becomes absolute after three months but Mr. Egbo’s decree absolute terminated his marriage after two months.

“In the final analysis, there is no indication of the court or judge who purportedly dissolved the said marriage. It is therefore clear that the document is fake,” concluded Mrs. Emeya.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5676257-146/story.csp
Re: The Nigerian Major Who Forged His Divorce by fstranger3(m): 4:50am On Mar 03, 2011
The is a case of the typical shady igbo man and the benevolent Yoruba man. Quite a contrast, I tell ya.
Re: The Nigerian Major Who Forged His Divorce by mutter(f): 8:15am On Mar 03, 2011
This is a typical case of a man abandoning his wife.
The military is not involved . The forgery is a civil matter.
No need for the article with the mans picture. That is also detrimental for the kids and brings no help.
What the woman can achieve from the military is that the man pays maintenance for the kids. I know that the military in Nigeria is quite humane here.
But how can a man abandon his kids and wife like that cry
Poor woman.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Major Who Forged His Divorce by aloyemeka1: 2:43am On Mar 04, 2011
fstranger3:

The is a case of the typical shady igbo man and the benevolent Yoruba man. Quite a contrast, I tell ya.

This dolt is still roaming nairaland?.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Major Who Forged His Divorce by SkySpirit(m): 1:36pm On Mar 25, 2011
I know dis officer, d story surely has more roots dan its branches!

(1) (Reply)

Can You Fight A Younger Person For Calling You Name And Not Bro Or Aunt / Who Owns The Boobss/breeaast? The Little Baby Or The Father / After Entering The Building To Declare His Intentions, The Wine Bottle Broke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.