Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,504 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? (6092 Views)

US VP Calls Jonathan, Backs Use Of Card Reader - Thecable / Jonathan Backs Soludo For Anambra Guber Polls / Home | News | Jonathan Backs Push For New Revenue Formula..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by seanet02: 7:32pm On Mar 05, 2011
squino:

@ pharoh, thank you my brother for enlightening them,
i believe all those posting against Gej are using  because i see no reason why they will pay for data to post what they are not sure of, i wonder if there was a debate before he stabilized petroleum prices to N65 under 5moths in office something Nigerians have not enjoyed  in years, i wonder if there was a debate before there was a improvement in the power sector, i wonder if there was a debate before minimum wage in Nigeria was increased to N18,000 all these in how many months?
The fact that you are a phd holder doesnt make you a good public speaker but an embodiment of knowledge which i believe. can be communicated for the needed growth and development, this man has given us in months what others have not in years which is a clear indication of what is to come not by boasting or debate as you call it, we should learn to be innovative and not copy, America and other developed Nations did not start with debates, so we should get to that bridge before crossing.
History must be totally ashamed of you. It was Yaradua who even reduced it to 65. So why are you now misleading yourself?
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by naijasing(f): 8:08pm On Mar 05, 2011
hahahahahahahahaha,
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by squino(m): 8:09pm On Mar 05, 2011
talking of stability?
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by squino(m): 8:23pm On Mar 05, 2011
@ seanet02, 4000 megawatts of electricity Yar' adua raised to 3999, 9 new universities and renovation of old ones Yar'adua built 8.9 and renovated dlo ones, you must be in Malawi and i believe development must be scared of you.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by honeric01(m): 9:06pm On Mar 05, 2011
@pharoh

Now to why debate is WAY BETTER than the useless campaigning they have been doing.

There's nothing new with their various campaigning, there's nothing they're saying that we have not heard for the past 12 years.

Campaigning is always about "we will" we will

Debate is about "How will you?"

Debate is about "This is how i will"

DEBATE IS WHERE YOU SEE AND HEAR THOSE WITH SUPERIOR IDEAS, PLANS AND HOW IT'S GOING TO BE CARRIED OUT.

Debate separates mediocre, quacks and noisemakers from those who truly have an idea of what's on ground.

Hope you understand better now? a learned person should always advocate for a debate and not some silly lies of a campaign they waste money on.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by dexmond: 9:23pm On Mar 05, 2011
he has lost the election because of his approval of criminality- ex-convict. he will be thoroughly embarrassed at the debate.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by waledud(m): 9:24pm On Mar 05, 2011
Yes he is a public speaker and he has done that in various capacities, conferences and even rallies if you want to factor this election campaigning so there is not doubt about that.  He simply is not interested so why can't you guys get it, listen to the ones who wants to debate and choose who to vote for. Those that will vote for goodluck already know how and when he has communicated his plans to them. It is not by force to debate or what exactly is the issue here. What is the fuse about this debate or did MKO had a debate before the presidential election in 1993? same for shagari and the first republic elections. What is the benefit of a debate that cannot be served by other means, he has communicated with Nigerians on facebook, through his campaign and he thinks that is enough.

Being a Phd holder does not translate to a competent public speaker, you must have gone through the presentations of many lecturers and i doubt if they all performed equally. Being a good public debater does not translate to a better administrator or manager. It is one thing to perform very well at the debate and another thing to perform well when you are actually given the job to do. You guys are just trying to make a mountain out of nothing and i doubt any one of you would even manage a local government if given the job. A good strategist picks the battle he has the highest comparative advantage of winning and he is not driven by impulse or popular opinions.

Let me start by putting things in perspective for you. Please if u were too young to know what transpired in the polity in the 90's then you should have availed yourself of the opportunity of the internet's historical archives to assist the weakness of your memory (not an insult). The 1993 presidential debate, where Chief MKO Abiola waxed lyrical with words and inundated our consciousness with facts & figures, was adjudged one of the best & most issue-based debate we've ever had in this country. It was in that debate that Abiola educated us by reeling out some disturbing statistics of our national life & even emasculated his opponent by asking & telling him how much a cup of garri cost then. So research your facts well before you throw it into the public domain like this great forum or before you undermine the personality of such a national hero like MKO.

Back to the main issue at hand, yes being a PhD. holder may not necessarily translate to competency in public speaking but it should inform or engender a certain level of sagacity & circumspection that sure should come to the fore anytime you open your mouth to speak. Listening to GEJ talk sometimes makes me sit uncomfortably on the edge of my seat & jolt every second for fear that he definately will soon say the wrong thing, especially when on international media. If he is not committing a grammatical or pronunciation blunder then he just would undermine his academic pedigree by making a rather unpardonable submission. Honestly, I use to have a great deal of respect for him but that was before he started opening his mouth. I particularly liked his political calmness during the sit-tight era of the ailing Yar'Adua but now I know dat he didn't say nothing then because he actually has nothing to say. Immediately he got hold of power and started to talk, 'breeze begin blow & we begin see fowl yache'. Look at the knee-jeck manner in which he tried to robe his political opponents in during the Abuja independence day anniversary bomb blast & frantically tried to exculpate MEND despite the later claiming responsibility. Also, he will not be quickly forgiven for branding all the southwest opposition leaders as "rascals". That's pathetic coming from a PhD. holder as that word 'rascal' did not emanate from his head but was handed over to him by Obasanjo who was standing right there beside him, further confirming the dependence of his ideas on expo as some have rightly noted on this thread. I rest my case for now.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 9ijaMan: 9:34pm On Mar 05, 2011
waledud:

Let me start by putting things in perspective for you. Please if u were too young to know what transpired in the polity in the 90's then you should have availed yourself of the opportunity of the internet's historical archives to assist the weakness of your memory (not an insult). The 1993 presidential debate, where Chief MKO Abiola waxed lyrical with words and inundated our consciousness with facts & figures, was adjudged one of the best & most issue-based debate we've ever had in this country. It was in that debate that Abiola educated us by reeling out some disturbing statistics of our national life & even emasculated his opponent by asking & telling him how much a cup of garri cost then. So research your facts well before you throw it into the public domain like this great forum or before you undermine the personality of such a national hero like MKO.

Back to the main issue at hand, yes being a PhD. holder may not necessarily translate to competency in public speaking but it should inform or engender a certain level of sagacity & circumspection that sure should come to the fore anytime you open your mouth to speak. Listening to GEJ talk sometimes makes me sit uncomfortably on the edge of my seat & jolt every second for fear that he definately will soon say the wrong thing, especially when on international media. If he is not committing a grammatical or pronunciation blunder then he just would undermine his academic pedigree by making a rather unpardonable submission. Honestly, I use to have a great deal of respect for him but that was before he started opening his mouth. I particularly liked his political calmness during the sit-tight era of the ailing Yar'Adua but now I know dat he didn't say nothing then because he actually has nothing to say. Immediately he got hold of power and started to talk, 'breeze begin blow & we begin see fowl yache'. Look at the knee-jeck manner in which he tried to robe his political opponents in during the Abuja independence day anniversary bomb blast & frantically tried to exculpate MEND despite the later claiming responsibility. Also, he will not be quickly forgiven for branding all the southwest opposition leaders as "rascals". That's pathetic coming from a PhD. holder as that word 'rascal' did not emanate from his head but was handed over to him by Obasanjo who was standing right there beside him, further confirming the dependence of his ideas on expo as some have rightly noted on this thread. I rest my case for now.

How I wish we can have many more Nigerians like you. Despite the power of the internet considering the amount of information one can obtain on just about any subject, the GEJ followers on NL are obviously too lazy to spend a few minutes carrying out simple researches about any topic they want to discuss about. Instead they's simply source for news that suits their warped logic.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by squino(m): 9:52pm On Mar 05, 2011
having competence in public speaking does not guarantee competence in leadership, what we need is an element of change not ''sweet talkers''
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by squino(m): 9:59pm On Mar 05, 2011
having competence in public speaking does not guarantee competence in leadership, what we need is an element of change not ''sweet talkers''
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 9ijaMan: 10:00pm On Mar 05, 2011
squino:

And who do you think represents that element of change? GEJ who's been in government for 12 years with nothing to show for it?
Buhari who's other name is Mr. Integrity, but being mischievously misrepresented? Ribadu who's also had his fair share of standing up against corruption? Pat Utomi who's knowledge does not get beyond the theories of administration and LBS? By the way Utomi is a smooth talker. Or any other.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by elcij(m): 10:08pm On Mar 05, 2011
If Jonathan, the current president of this country, doesnt have enough confidence in himself and his own abilities to answer questions from citizens without having "expo" can you just picture how utterly ridiculous he will be in a meeting of world leaders (of which he's supposed to be one).

Abeg this Jonathan is a bloody novice. Na "yes sir, obama sir" you go dey hear. Seriously, can you trust a man like this to represent this country on the world stage? A guy that allowed himself to get smacked down by Sepp Blatter!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 1025: 10:21pm On Mar 05, 2011
in fact, jonathan must come to this debate. let this be a condition. we want him to come and sweat for us. he sabi fear questions like bomb.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by musasman: 11:24pm On Mar 05, 2011
squino:

@squino GEJ FANS, Just listean 2 urself oh! It means alot if u and all d intellectual bigott dat re in suport of his turning down dis debate don't knw d significance den i don't blame u guyz it jz show hw u n dat ur GEJ wl continue 2 paralys dis country with ur pre-active mind and ur fake promises dat he can l8r kum out and deny it dat he neva promisd such and such tins wen votd into power. He knw he can't even try 2 atend dis debate coz he knws his oponet knws much abt d present state of our economy wch he can't explain and all his oda promises and above all he is nt a trustd leader coz he deny so many tins he said jz lyk d recent acusation of d suleja bomb blast on BUHARI wat a shame!!! Read ur saharareporter site 4 more ok,
VØTE BUHÀRI/BAKARE 4 2011 4 POSITIVE CHANGE!!!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by dan6019(m): 12:14am On Mar 06, 2011
What has Ebele to say, a man without the mind of his, OBJ's puppet. Let's ensure he doesn't return to ASO ROCK come May 29, 2011. A vote for him will be a way of actualising OBJ's 3rd term bid, which he couldn't get then. Ensure, you don't waste your vote, as long as PDP are not allowed to rig the election, there is no way Ebele will be there. Remember, Yaradua, of blessed memory acknowldged the fact that the election that brought him to power was 'faulty' - meaning, it was massively rigged. NO ,TO RIGGING, this time around.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by igboboy1(m): 4:47am On Mar 06, 2011
exactly why no one likes the yoruba, it is amazing upon not how much igbo and hausa hate each other they both agree about the quality of ndi ofe mmanu

[Youtube:i9sgui5_gvw&feature=related]
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by igboboy1(m): 4:48am On Mar 06, 2011
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by izeek(m): 9:40am On Mar 06, 2011
If there is anyone who should embrace the idea of a televised debate, should be jonathan.
What other expo does he need when he is the one sitting in govt presently and knows the true state of the nation. Moreso, he has around him a brigade of advisers who should be able to anticipate likely qusetions and most prolific solutions, even if they are lies.
Am sad saying this, but the man is clueless as to what this nation needs to turn around. I was one of those who clamoured ffor his coming into power believing things would look better, well he has proven otherwise.
Pray tell me, what was the rational behind appointing v.c's to none existent universities when the present ones on ground are hugelu underfunded and grossly ill prepared.
His raising 200million dollars for the entertainment industry, is that something to smile about as remarkable achievemnt.
The man needs to attend that debate and tell us what he supposes for this nation.
To all who support him, i understand. You rather see the supernatural occurence of his ascenssion to power as asertion of God in the matter, dont be in hurry to crown him the messiah, saul the king of isreal was also seen in that light.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by orisebawo(m): 9:55am On Mar 06, 2011
Jonathan is a joke and ofcourse I knew he would chicken out of the debate because he has nothing to say, how many of you will employ someone in your company without inviting him to an interview of some sort. since PDP has no plans for the country and the president has obviously got nothing upstairs to stimulate the populace, that is why he is looking for expo.

we all know the rallies are a congregation of thugs and he who cherishes his or her life will be wise to stay clear.

A Phd holder that has been in govt for over four years should be able to to answer any question about his job, i am sure even a mechanic will be ready for any questions concerning car engines anyday anytime
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by anonimi: 10:56am On Mar 06, 2011
While we are debating and identifying our favourites for president and governors of our states, we should not lose focus on the candidates for national and state assembly LEGISLATORS.
Do you know your constituency?
Let us scrutinise, select and mobilise support for our candidates based on their individual integrity rather than blindly following party's choice that may be the wife, kid, in-law, relation of the party godfathers.
We can reduce the legisLOOTERS and increase the legislators who can channel our needs to the executives and make better laws for us all.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by otokx(m): 11:09am On Mar 06, 2011
Diesel is now 142 a litre in PH up from 115.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Ibime(m): 11:31am On Mar 06, 2011
Thugs don't have time for debate. How dare you interrupt their well-choreographed silence and force them to emerge from the veneer of silence and reveal their incompetence?

The likes of Fashola, Amaechi, Oshiomhole will appear for debate at any time cos they have a record to defend. Even OBJ appears for debate sef.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by FKseun(m): 11:43am On Mar 06, 2011
Even the late MKO Abiola, despite being a well known stammerer, took part in a live presidential debate.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by FKseun(m): 11:49am On Mar 06, 2011
With people like Doyin Okupe WE SHOULD NOT EXPECT JONATHAN TO PARTICIPATE IN THE LIVE DEBATE. Okupe is another shameless old man from the southwest. We still remember the roles he played along with Tom Ikimi in the defunct NRC.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by dollaflow(m): 2:56pm On Mar 06, 2011
What a shame! If Gej has sth,let him come out and say. What is wrong in a debate? Phd indeed, only puppet in d hand of obj, mmsshhhh,
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by totorimi: 3:24pm On Mar 06, 2011
Why the hype about GEJ debate or not, afterall there was no discussion about debate when OBJ was coming for a second term. The truth is that this Poverty Development Party People are rogues, they are chalatan they have raped the country dry. Now a simple debate is an issue for them. To crown it all OBJ said in the newspaper that he was lured into attending the PDP cfunction with Bode George.
If GEJ wont be at the debate let the other candidates go ahead and have the debates. In this way we shall know that the PDP is not answerable to the Nigerian people. Then let us see how they will win. Let us see how they want to rig this election.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by totorimi: 3:28pm On Mar 06, 2011
The art of public speaking is one of the qualities of a great leader. A leader should be able to present his case in a logical and unambiguos nature.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by tlops(m): 3:30pm On Mar 06, 2011
I guess after watching the lagos debate, he wouldnt dare! The questions are quite  predictable, though there is chance for new unforseen questions too.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by BabaEleko(m): 4:40pm On Mar 06, 2011
What do u expect from a clueless government? Jonafool!sh
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 9ijaMan: 6:36pm On Mar 06, 2011
Now that we are all aware that Jonathief and the gangs are not answerable to the people of Nigeria, the right thing to do for every sane Nigerian is to vote him out of Aso Rock and back to the creeks where he truly belongs.

[center][/center]

[center][size=30pt]VOTE Buhari/Bukare 2011[/size] for the future of our nation![/center]
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by JaaizTech: 6:52pm On Mar 06, 2011
It is preposterous that a President will run away from a debate; how does He intend to sell his programs, how does he intend to prove He is the man for the job. This is sad; A president with low self esteem and low Confidence!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Begins Preparation For Anambra Elections, Warns Turkur. List Of Candidates / Court Will Disqualify Buhari Tomorrow. / Independence Anniversary: FG Declares Monday, Oct. 1 Public Holiday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.