Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,703 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! (11110 Views)

Numbers Don't Lie: This Charts Say EFCC Cannot Be Trusted / The Governor Cannot Arrest Us || Ekiti Speaker Dares Gov. Fayose / Efcc Cannot Be Serious With The List Of Most Wanted On Their Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Blazing99: 11:27am On Mar 05, 2011

There is a saying in George OrIlls Animal Farm that all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. This aphorism appears nonsensical but it seems to have assumed form now. The story is the same thing in Yenagoa. Ask anybody in the streets of Yenagoa or Imiringi, they will tell you Ebebi may be the wealthiest man. Why nor, Azibayan asked. He has been in government from 1999 till date, and he has an insatiable penchant for acquisition of property. This is too good to be true.

Bayelsa State has been denied much-needed development since her creation because of official corruption perpetrated by public officers. The Initiative for the Restoration of Accountability (IRA) is not comfortable with the trend of arrested development. IRA has taken the responsibility of advocacy and creating awareness to strengthen governmental institutions to insulate them against corruption to promote accountability. I am now going the extra mile of soliciting the support of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to investigate some brazen cases of corruption and prosecute such cases so that it would serve as a deterrent to other public office holders. I believe that with the timely intervention of EFCC, the State will recover part of the monies stolen by public officers and deploy such funds to the provision of health and educational infrastructure in the State.

My case against Hon. Peremobowei Ebebi is that he used his privileged position as Deputy Governor and awarded contracts running to several billions of Naira to himself and his cronies. My investigations revealed that the impeached Deputy Governor is directly linked to the following contracts awarded to Aleibiri – his Community.

1. T he Bayelsa State Government awarded a contract for the Dredging & Sand filing of ALEIBIRI NEW TOWN DEVELOPMENT. There are allegations that Hon. Ebebi collected monies for the execution of the contract and abandoned the project. The impeached Deputy Governor is directly linked to the abandonment of the multi-billion project.

2. The Bayelsa State Government approved the establishment of a TECHNICAL COLLEGE for Aleibiri Community. This laudable project did not see the light of day.

3. Allegations are rife that Hon. Ebebi also denied the community the accomplishment of that project because the funds earmarked for the project was misappropriated.

4. Government provided 2 500KVA Generators for the Aleibiri Community. These facilities have been privatized at the expense of the Community. The 2 generators have been converted into personal property.

5. The contract to convert the Aleibiri Health Centre into a General Hospital, but the money so earmarked was embezzled. Accusing fingers are pointed at the Hon. PeremoboIi Ebebi for deliberately stalling the execution of the project.

6. Government also awarded a contract to build a modern Secretariat Complex for the Aleibiri Local Government Headquarters, but my investigations shoId that the money earmarked for the project was pocketed by Hon. PeremoboIi Ebebi. He built a bungalow in place of a Secretariat. Consequently, the Chiefs and elders of the Community protested. To cover up these irregularities, Ebebi paid each of the 20 Chiefs of Aleibiri the sum of One Million Naira (N1, 000,000.00) to work against the opposition.

The list of such properties fraudulently acquired is not exhaustive. The deduction is that Hon. Ebebi used his office to influence the award of contracts and made money through corrupt means. Most of the said contracts Ire awarded without due process. Through such contracts, Ebebi diverted public funds into private accounts to acquire property at the expense of the people.

My independent investigations in and around Yenagoa revealed that the following properties are owned by Hon. Ebebi.

EBEBI’S PROPERTY IN YENAGOA

LOCATION TYPE OF REAL ESTATE VALUE IN NAIRA

1. Agudama by Chief PoIll’s Building Mansion 250 million

2. Old INEC Road Opposite Latik 2 Buildings 110 million

3. Baybridge Road Mansion 110 million

4. Bay Bridge Filing Station 550 million

5. Ogu Town 270 Plots of Land 270 million

6. Igbogene Gateway Road 400 Plots of Land 400 million

7. Old PDP Road Building 40 million

8. Biogbolo Ebebi’s Junction Mansion 500 million

9. Latik Hotel Old INEC Road Hotel 550 million

10. Customs Road Building 70 million

11. Erepa Road Building 40 million

12. Agudama Building 70million

13. Bay Bridge Opposite Ebi’s Residence Estate 600 million

14. Aleibiri 4 Storey Hotel Mansion 450 million

15. Aleibiri Mansion 870 million

16. Tuomo Water Front One Building 91 million

17. Tuomo Inland Mansion 550million

I have not concluded investigations on several other property, but as I continue to with my independent investigation, I believe it is the right time for the EFCC to commence investigations into the aforementioned properties. When a man engages in primitive accumulation and deprives the people of what rightly belongs to the people, there comes a day of reckoning. As a result of his corrupt enrichment, Bayelsans from his constituency are denied basic health facilities, quality education and potable water. I, on behalf of Initiative for the Restoration of Accountability on behalf of the people of Bayelsa State want Hon. PeremoboIi Ebebi prosecuted. Without delay before he escapes from Nigeria. The stagnated development in the State is partly the result of such cases of mindless diversion of public funds. The allegations of corrupt enrichment and diversion of public funds also constituted some of the grounds for his impeachment.
advertisement

ILLEGAL DEDUCTIONS FROM LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCILS

In particular, I want the EFCC to investigate the management of Local Government Funds in the State from 2006 till 2009. I learnt on good authority that during this period, Hon Ebebi was in charge of the management of Local Governments Funds. During this period, the Initiative was reliably informed that Ebebi circumvented official procedures of accountability and made illegal deductions of N5 million in each of the 24 LGAs. There Ire also reports that he deducted more money from the 8 federally recognized LGAs. The allegation that this ill-gotten Ialth was used to land and landed property has been proved by the huge properties.

MISMANAGEMENT OF 29.6 MILLION MEDICAL TREATMENT ALLOWANCE

Ebebi should also account for the N29.6m overseas medical treatment allowance approved for him by Governor Sylva in February, 2009, which was one of the ten grounds for his impeachment. The non-accountability of such funds is bad precedent that is capable of polluting the public service. I believe that the former Deputy Governor abused his office and refused to live up to the higher ideals that are deserving of his position.

The Initiative for the Restoration of Accountability challenges the EFCC to investigate the aforementioned allegations against Hon. PeremoboIi Ebebi since the he is not covered by immunity any longer. I will also explore other constitutional means to recover the ill-gotten Ialth of Hon. Ebebi, and I expect him to make full restitution for the heinous crime committed against his own community.

Initiative For the Restoration of Accountability is asking why it is very difficult to investigate the smyces of stupendous Ialth of the former Deputy Governor and now Senatorial Candidate of the Labmy Party, in Bayelsa State.? Is it true that the anti-graft agency only catches small fishes because big fishes will tear EFCC net? Could it be that Farida’s investigative officers have gone on leave or is it a clear case of selective treatment? EFCC has to answer so that the people’s confidence in the Commission will not waver. But both INEC and the EFCC will clear Ebebi to contest. While some count him as a very lucky kleptocrat, others say he is a cat with nine lives.

Eghosa Osaro, is a Warri-based Legal Practitioner osasaghosa@gmail.com
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by friedrice1: 12:58pm On Mar 05, 2011
Was this guy not GEJ's deputy??
birds of the same, flock together,

Its the same story all over Yenegoa, from governor to deputy to legislooters etc.
the most corrupt land in the world
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Nobody: 1:05pm On Mar 05, 2011
Are you sure the valuees attached to these properties are not arbitrary? I don't think such real estate can cost that much in Bayelsa.
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Natasha2(f): 1:32pm On Mar 05, 2011
pro01:

I don't think such real estate can cost that much in Bayelsa.
Think again
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 05, 2011
Natasha,,:

Think again

And your point is. . .?
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Natasha2(f): 3:36pm On Mar 05, 2011
pro01:

And your point is. . .?
have a rethink duh, such real estate can cost that much in BY
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 05, 2011
Natasha,,:

have a rethink duh, such real estate can cost that much in BY

I see, duh.
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Blazing99: 5:29am On Mar 07, 2011
What really worries me was that this guy was GEJ's deputy governor. Expect a lot of tolerance on corruption from GEJ.
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by dayokanu(m): 5:31am On Mar 07, 2011
Another pointer that GEJ is very corrupt
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by ekubear1: 5:36am On Mar 07, 2011
dayokanu:

Another pointer that GEJ is very corrupt

Who told you that? Everyone around GEJ is very corrupt. And he heavily interacts with corrupt people. But he himself is clean as a whistle.

. . . or so some would have us believe undecided

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Blazing99: 9:45am On Mar 07, 2011
This guy's corruption is just too disturbing, all this money hundreds of thousands of Bayelsans should benefit from for just one man. I proffer DEATH SENTENCE.
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by ekubear1: 10:24am On Mar 07, 2011
Bloated by corruption

Engorged on stolen wealth

A cow fattened on another man's crops

Such gluttony is disgusting
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by T9ksy(m): 3:23pm On Mar 07, 2011
eku_bear:

4 REAL!!! It (this much gluttony) should be criminalised grin
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 07, 2011
He'll soon die of obesity cool
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Blazing99: 5:05pm On Mar 07, 2011
fat furrk
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by MaziUche0(m): 5:07pm On Mar 07, 2011
He is eating well. grin
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by Pukkah: 5:24pm On Mar 07, 2011
This is sad although not surprising. A young and small state of just 8 local government areas that should be the envy of all has been looted dry!!! Even the current regime of its leaders are no less wanting in terms of transparency and accountability. Almost all the impressive buildings and palatial residences in Yenagoa belong to one political office holder or the other, current or former! And the people are languishing in mosquito-infested shanties and creeks. Indeed, this is a paradise lost. undecided

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by richard69(m): 8:34pm On Mar 07, 2011
@ poster, i think its your paymaster Timipre Silver that needs to be scrutinized by the anti graft Agency.
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by YemiAlabi: 9:24pm On Mar 07, 2011
i may be like this in a few years. . .God let GEJ win this election so my dreams can come true
Re: Bayelsa’s Richest Politician Efcc Cannot Arrest! by DeHumbleTboy: 3:09pm On Aug 23, 2019
ekubear1:
Bloated by corruption

Engorged on stolen wealth

A cow fattened on another man's crops

unfortunately the efcc doesn't have the balls to dare him. Na today you de hear about this man

(1) (Reply)

Explosion At 2 Primary Schools At Jayin & Hotoro Arewa, Kano / PRP Guber Candidate In Kano Takai Urges Massive Turn Out, Support For Buhari / Buhari’s Victory: Demonstration Of Confidence And Trust By Nigerians- Kenyatta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.