Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,371 members, 7,781,038 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:54 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (247) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1374155 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Bibol(f): 9:13am On Nov 27, 2014
@ Phema,that's a comprehensive info there. I wish you a blissful stay and safe delivery.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 9:16am On Nov 27, 2014
Phenacetin, the snacks part, how do j go about that. Do they allow edibles from here as part of carry on luggage
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by supamom: 9:47am On Nov 27, 2014
Phema:
Hello everyone!! This is Phema reporting live from Phoenix, AZ!! grin. How are y'all doing? I don miss una wella kiss. From the newbies to the "question answerers" to the groundnut eaters. grin Sorry I've not been participating actively for awhile now. Didn't have much going anyways, so there wasn't much to say.

Got into Phoenix tuesday night (Phoenix time). Flew BA and POE was Phoenix. Infact, make I start this gist from the beginning. . . grin

I flew from Lag and the experience with those Immigration officers wasn't bad at all. I already prepared not to tip any body, so didn't go with any naira. My big belle was all the "egunje" they needed. I weighed all my bags at home before setting out. So I didn't have any that was past the 23KG limit. I made sure of that. The lady that weighed my bags was surprised both were 23KG on the dot. grin

Then I got to the people that search bags. They were quite courteous and barely searched my bags. One of them helped my take the boxes to the check in counter. Checked in and was asked for my fit to fly. I gave dem a copy and they filed it. I chose my seat online, so i had my boarding pass ready.

We were two preggers that planned our trip together so it was not so exhausting or boring cos we had each other's company. We requested for wheelchair services for Heathrow during check in at MMA1. Didn't even know that could be done. So, the officer included it on our boarding passes. Preggers with layover should try and request for it. It turned out to be a life saver at Heathrow.

Like Tvegas advised, we didn't queue at immigration in Lagos. We used the fast lane and they gave us priority treatment till we got to the boarding gate. Everything went so smoothly without any hassles or delays. All we did was put on our "preggy faces" and behaved like we were going to pass out, or worse still, go into labour if we had the minutest of all hassles. Lol

We boarded at the right time. No delays whatsoever. Got to Heathrow and waited to be driven to the terminal where we would be connecting to the US. While others walked and were asking for direction, all we did was present our boarding passes. The driver knew exactly what to do and where to take us. So we were driven to go sit at a very comfy and warmer place to wait for our connecting flight. The experience was awesome. Everyone gave "wheelchair" passengers priority treatment. We didn't have to bother about sleeping off and missing our flights cos they would always call your name when it's time for you to board. Time came and they drove us to the boarding gate. We didn't join the queue. We were the first set of passengers to board. Yea yea, we are special like that. grin smiley

Now to POE. . .

Pls Phema, how far along were you when you flew?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 9:55am On Nov 27, 2014
Phema:

-For bush people like moi that donot like airline food, please go with snacks in your hand luggage. I had bread, biscuits, plantain chips, coconut chips, meat pie, sausage roll, doughnut etc. . .
Jeeezzuuuzzz, shocked shocked. Na only you pack all these food for your handbag? Dia riz God ooo. U do well ooo. Congrat. grin

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Flowers: 10:03am On Nov 27, 2014
@GenoMI: or anyone that has this, kindly forward me the compilation of hospitals in Houston. Thanks a lot.

@Phema: please how did you wrap the Palm oil? Also did you go with dry fish?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 27, 2014
9jabiggurl:

Nice one @phema....congrats on that POE...wish all expectant mum same...wish you safe delivery of your American baby...

pattyreal:

Phema phema phema! Sweet POE! Dats wat we pray for! I tap in2 dis... Oya oooooo march mom's going feb ooooo abeg Holla @ me

Bibol:
@ Phema,that's a comprehensive info there. I wish you a blissful stay and safe delivery.

sayoberry:
phema ooooo... throw me e-hug so my testimony go better pass ur own grin
wishing me luck o.
congrats dear. wishing u safe delivery

Thanks guys. kiss
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by somchisom: 10:03am On Nov 27, 2014
Congrats Phema at your smooth POE story. Hw did you package the palm oil.
Abeg any March moms heading to New York early February with Delta?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 10:04am On Nov 27, 2014
Fruitilicious:

Intown suites i guess, please check page 56...
@Tvegas,very funny i love to eat groundnut too
I salute you o, Brain pass brain. I knew you would come up with the page. Pls don't eat Gnut whenever you are needed, it will reduce some repetitions.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 27, 2014
MamaTobenna:
Phenacetin, the snacks part, how do j go about that. Do they allow edibles from here as part of carry on luggage

They allow edibles. No liquids though. But that shouldn't be a problem as you can get all liquids on board.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:08am On Nov 27, 2014
supamom:
Pls Phema, how far along were you when you flew?

35+1

I went to see my Dr 3 days before my trip and requested he dated my fit to fly to be less than 24hrs. So, eventually, i had 34 weeks on my fit to fly cos as at the time I saw the Dr, I was 34 weeks plus 5 days.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 27, 2014
somchisom:
Congrats Phema at your smooth POE story. Hw did you package the palm oil.

First of all, I put my oil in a plastic coke bottle and froze it for weeks before my trip. I used zip loc freezer bags to carry it and I wrapped it 3 times with 3 bags. So there was no risk of leakage and one wouldn't easily know what I had inside, while appearing neat.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 27, 2014
Flowers:
@Phema: please how did you wrap the Palm oil? Also did you go with dry fish?

I deboned my dry fish and sun dried for days.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 27, 2014
Tvegas:

Jeeezzuuuzzz, shocked shocked. Na only you pack all these food for your handbag? Dia riz God ooo. U do well ooo. Congrat. grin

My dear, I no dey for those their yeye airline food abeg. The food no fit enter my handbag, so i carried one small bag/box. Tied up the whole snacks with a nice translucent nylon bag and put cardigan and jacket on top. cheesy Man must not live by "pasta" alone. wink

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 11:02am On Nov 27, 2014
Phema:

They allow edibles. No liquids though. But that shouldn't be a problem as you can get all liquids on board.
. Hmmmn thanks. Will take a cue from you on this one. Cos oyinbo food no dey go so well with me jare
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Fruitilicious: 11:03am On Nov 27, 2014
Phema:

My dear, I no dey for those their yeye airline food abeg. The food no fit enter my handbag, so i carried one small bag/box. Tied up the whole snacks with a nice translucent nylon bag and put cardigan and jacket on top. cheesy Man must not live by "pasta" alone. wink

Madam Phema u try ooo. thank God for a successful POE story...awaiting our Americana
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 11:18am On Nov 27, 2014
@ phema

We did not know that you had packed all the groundnut to Amerika! grin

That ur scope of food inside hand luggage make too much sense abeg. Thanks for that tip...

Your testimony just gave me life mehn...may we all have the same smooth sailing experience...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by pattyreal(f): 11:19am On Nov 27, 2014
MamaTobenna:
I am a March mum o planning to travel anytime from jan 31 flying BA though. Anyone travelling with Ba should let me know o at least make we reach heathrow together before we part for final destination. I don know say na only me dey go los angeles

I'm goin wit BA booked ma flight already 4 2nd week in feb
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fruitfull1: 11:37am On Nov 27, 2014
@PHEMA meeehnnn! I thruway yanch give you. loool. congratulations are in order. I hope I will be able to plan that well in February . I have not made up my mind about hospital sha

@ flowers I got this mail from dr Ziworitin's office;

ESTIMATED COST FOR OB CARE AND DELIVERY AT OAKBEND MEDICAL CENTER RICHMOND, TX
Doctors Fee:
Initial Visit……………….…$190.00
Lab Tests…………….……...$270.00
Vaginal Delivery……….$2,200 High risk-$2,400
cesarean section……….$2,600 High risk- $2,800

Hospital Fees:
Hospital Charge for vaginal delivery……..$2,300
Hospital charge for c-section-$3,500
Pediatrician ………..…….$320

Other Fees:
Anesthesia for Epidural in labor……….$850
Anesthesia for c-section…………$950

Estimated Total cost for Vaginal delivery:…………………..$6,130
Estimated cost for cesarean delivery……………………….$6,630

Yours truly

DamaZiworitin, MD FACOG

OB PACKAGE PRICES

MEMORIAL HERMANN SUGAR LAND
Normal Vaginal Delivery $3,969.00
C-Section $5,895.00
METHODIST SUGAR LAND
Normal Vaginal Delivery $2,538.00
C-Section $3,780.00

WEST HOUSTON
Normal Vaginal Delivery $2,500.00
C-Section $4,000.00

OAKBEND MEDICAL CENTER
Normal Vaginal $2,300
C-section $3,500

I hope this answers you Houston questions

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Dkbb: 11:52am On Nov 27, 2014
MamaTobenna:
I am a March mum o planning to travel anytime from jan 31 flying BA though. Anyone travelling with Ba should let me know o at least make we reach heathrow together before we part for final destination. I don know say na only me dey go los angeles

@MamaTobenna, which hospital and Dr are you using in LA, thinking of using LA too. Abeg help ur sist here o
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Heliano(f): 11:57am On Nov 27, 2014
chiduks:
Good morning house. Pls I really need your advise. I've tried on countless times to make a deposit to a hosp in philly that I intend using. But they keep saying they don't accept prepayments. I'm scared cos I knw its advisable to show a receipt at d poe. Although I have d docs appt and my hubby and I plan to each hold 8k. Do u tink that wld suffice at d poe without the receipt frm d hosp?pls I'm open to ur suggestions. Thanks.

daddy:
Please note that she got her visa last year and was to travel for xmas but was told that it was too cold so they decided to go in July only for her to take in sometime in April. They had bought their ticket so cancelled it so she can go for birthing. What documents will she require at the port of entry and hope this will not pose any ise with same experience? Please help out.

I would seriously you advice her to read the whole blog and if not the whole from at least page 100,what she would gain from this cant be over emphasised.Thar said.
The good thing here is that she did not lie during her visa interview that she was not pregnant,because truely at that time she wasent.
It is imortant she writes a letter to the embassy informing them that she is using the visa for birthing purpose, will advice she writes to both lagos and abuja which ever reply suits her the most she should use,their email are consularabuja@state.gov and lagosniv@state.gov.
She should dowload the consent form for her husband to notarise before she leaves,i have heard that some states in the us requires the form to be notarised @ the us embassy while others accept just notarisation from any notary public
She should also go with doctors coresponde o, and enough cash o.

Thanks @ Babatwi. She wrote to them and they responded. see response below. Thanks for the assistance.

Thank you for your email.

There is no legal requirement to inform us that you are seeking medical treatment in the United States. The Customs and Border Protection, a branch of USCIS, determines a traveler’s eligibility of entry to the U.S, you should be prepared to demonstrate to the immigration officer at the port of entry why you are seeking medical treatment and that you have logistical and financial plans for the treatment.

We recommend that you review the regulations on non-immigrant aliens entering the United States for purposes of childbirth at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/882/~/visit-the-u.s.-while-pregnant-and-the-risks-involved and plan accordingly. Please you should not stay in the U.S. longer than you are permitted by Customs and Border Protection at the port of entry. The Department of Homeland Security at the port of entry will determine your eligibility to enter the United States on any travel.

If you choose to give birth in the U.S., we advise you to bring evidence of payment, both when you enter the U.S. on this visit, and at your future U.S. visa interviews.
Dear Chiduks, I am presently in philly, and 8K is enough as the hospital I am using Delaware County charges 7500k. And. Has discount for self pay patients so you and hubby holding 16k is okay, but I advise you hold 10k and hubby holds 6k, and also come with ur Nigeria cards with statements if possible.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nomanicole(f): 11:58am On Nov 27, 2014
[quote author=Phema post=28386317]

My dear, I no dey for those their yeye airline food abeg. The food no fit enter my handbag, so i carried one small bag/box.

Congrats dear on ur successful entry.awaiting the good news in a few weeks..God's grace!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Dkbb: 12:02pm On Nov 27, 2014
Phema:
We got to Phoenix at about 5.30pm. Not so busy airport with very calm atmosphere. The officers were very friendly. This time, we joined the queue. I got called up to meet one female officer and the following ensued. . .
Officer: Good evening
Me : Evening Ma'am
Officer: What are you doing in the US?
Me: Came to have my baby
Officer: Looked very surprised and said "Say that again Ma'am"
Me: I retorted in my very igbotic accent " I came to have my baby" grin
She called on another male officer and narrated what I told her. The male officer smiled and said "that's fine, as long as she's got the cash". Asked how much I had, I said 9k5. He nodded, smiled and said "hope you know you can come with much more money running into millions". I said, I'm aware and that I had more in my master card (which was a lie though, cos shishi no gum my account) tongue. For my mind, I say, see this thief. No be only millions of Dollars. I tell you say na human beings I dey sell? cheesy. Then he left and I continued with the female officer.
Officer: What do you and hubby do back home?
Me: Told her
Officer: Have you been to the US before?
Me: No Ma'am. This is my first time.
Officer: How did you get to know about the hospital?
Me: I did an extensive research online and found this hospital that suits my budget and need.
Officer: Do you have any agricultural products or Food?
Me: Yes ma
Officer: Have a safe delivery Ma. Stamped me in for 6months
Picked my bags and headed out. The secondary/agricultural inspection people stopped us and asked what we came to do. We told them and they asked which of us will be having the baby. We said both of us and they laughed and said "two pregnant friends expecting at almost same time,did you two plan it?". We all laughed. They counted our money, asked same questions the immigration people asked. Repeated we could bring in more money if we wanted and all we needed do was to declare it. Asked how much for the hosp bills and we said $5,400 (the reviewed price). One of them said "yea, i heard they have reviewed it upwards".
Was asked to pass our bags through the scanner. We did. The man at the other end opened one if mine, did a little search and said i was free to go. I was cabashing cos that was same bag I had my precious palm oil. grin . Fortunately, the man didn't notice cos I packaged it wella that it looked likeo one imported Chinese food. Lol
My friend's chopped fried beef was seized though. She was told it was prohibited. The thing pain us eeehh, cos we been don plan how to use am take do sharp jollof rice on getting to the hotel room. grin
No document was asked for and the officers were quite professional and friendly.

@Phema, Congrat o

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by jyde2014: 12:02pm On Nov 27, 2014
@ Chiduks; pls what hospital are you planning to use in Phily and what are the charges like?
Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 12:09pm On Nov 27, 2014
pattyreal:

I'm goin wit BA booked ma flight already 4 2nd week in feb
. Awes 2nd week is too late for me jare. All d best though
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 12:10pm On Nov 27, 2014
Dkbb:

@MamaTobenna, which hospital and Dr are you using in LA, thinking of using LA too. Abeg help ur sist here o
. I got the contact of a doc here o. He is nigerian though. Doc know Mbagwu and I will be using Centinelamed centre
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by malory84: 12:17pm On Nov 27, 2014
@phema congrats on your successful entry. e don tey wey I been they wait your post. Lol .I am leaving next week, I pray for favour too. also flying BA.pls as regards the wheelchair service, were did u request for if , Lagos airport or at Heathrow? because I really need it. but I am also going with my MIL and toddler, he has a stroller, do u think I can also request for wheelchair for my MIL? Thanks a lot.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Jomikish: 12:18pm On Nov 27, 2014
pattyreal:

God will grant u favour dear. Bless u

So I thought to come back n share my experience with the house.... I still went ahead with the letter from doctoresparati. However, the interview went well, tho I was asked to get another doctor. The consular said she was not comfy with approving only for me to give my money to 'fixers' .. Se meant that they were middle men, and not doctors. I was given the white form which would allow me back into the embassy without a new appointment. I eventually used my correspondence with Dr Fagbohun and his bills and we were granted our visas. I'm sure this will encourage someone and also direct them. I'm not discrediting anyone pls, just Thot to share how it went.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by justwise(m): 12:33pm On Nov 27, 2014
Jomikish:

So I thought to come back n share my experience with the house.... I still went ahead with the letter from doctoresparati. However, the interview went well, tho I was asked to get another doctor. The consular said she was not comfy with approving only for me to give my money to 'fixers' .. Se meant that they were middle men, and not doctors. I was given the white form which would allow me back into the embassy without a new appointment. I eventually used my correspondence with Dr Fagbohun and his bills and we were granted our visas. I'm sure this will encourage someone and also direct them. I'm not discrediting anyone pls, just Thot to share how it went.

It has been established that they are agents and we should not be recommending them or encouraging people to use them.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Dkbb: 12:34pm On Nov 27, 2014
MamaTobenna:
. I got the contact of a doc here o. He is nigerian though. Doc know Mbagwu and I will be using Centinelamed centre

@MamaTobenna, Thanks will contact him
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Flowers: 12:45pm On Nov 27, 2014
@ flowers
I hope this answers you Houston questions
[/quote]

Thanks sis.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 27, 2014
malory84:
@phema congrats on your successful entry. e don tey wey I been they wait your post. Lol .I am leaving next week, I pray for favour too. also flying BA.pls as regards the wheelchair service, were did u request for if , Lagos airport or at Heathrow? because I really need it. but I am also going with my MIL and toddler, he has a stroller, do u think I can also request for wheelchair for my MIL? Thanks a lot.

We requested for it at MMA and told them to indicate that we will be needing it at Heathrow. You can request for it all the way from Lag to your final destination though.

I honestly don't know how this will play out with your mum and toddler cos the services are meant for physically challenged, not so fit or very elderly. Will ask or do some research and let you know.

By the way, the services are absolutely free.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Jomikish: 12:55pm On Nov 27, 2014
utcheylee:
Good day @ mamatobenna I want to apply for the visa but confused on what type of visa I should go for since am pregnant 7 month already should I apply for a tourist visa or medical visa ?another question is what if I go for the medical visa and I didn't travel for birthing can I still use it for ordinary trip? or the tourist and if they ask I tell if am preggy I tell them yes i don't know am so confused to make a decision.

please any one can still answer the question.

I agree that u need to breathe and calm down. If u intend interviewing in Abuja, u may wanna get another hospital instead of doctoresparati for now. I was asked to go get another doctor and come back to the embassy. But, go with ur heart, may you be favoured!

just need help plssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.