Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (248) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1378790 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by malory84: 1:01pm On Nov 27, 2014
Phema:

We requested for it at MMA and told them to indicate that we will be needing it at Heathrow. You can request for it all the way from Lag to your final destination though.

I honestly don't know how this will play out with your mum and toddler cos the services are meant for physically challenged, not so fit or very elderly. Will ask or do some research and let you know.

By the way, the services are absolutely free.

Thanks alit babe. Imela.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 1:38pm On Nov 27, 2014
hopefulme:
A forum that many close people to me successfully benefited from deserves a feedback.Good luck to us all. Please let us keep up the good work o this thread. Am really glad I read it all..........Cheers.
Hi Hopefulme, Have you reapplied after the initial denial. I am interested in your testimony. Dont give up, been looking out for your comment.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by SisiOlu: 1:43pm On Nov 27, 2014
Jomikish:

So I thought to come back n share my experience with the house.... I still went ahead with the letter from doctoresparati. However, the interview went well, tho I was asked to get another doctor. The consular said she was not comfy with approving only for me to give my money to 'fixers' .. Se meant that they were middle men, and not doctors. I was given the white form which would allow me back into the embassy without a new appointment. I eventually used my correspondence with Dr Fagbohun and his bills and we were granted our visas. I'm sure this will encourage someone and also direct them. I'm not discrediting anyone pls, just Thot to share how it went.

Hi Jomikish,

Congrats on ur visa, kindly share a transcript of your interview

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by isysleek: 2:07pm On Nov 27, 2014
Congrats Phema!

Please April 2015 bound Houston mamas, holla o. Due in May but leaving April and using WHMC by God's grace.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by isysleek: 2:15pm On Nov 27, 2014
@Fruitfull1, this oakbend hospital is looking good o. Please how do I contact the doctor and hospital. Since its in Richmond just like WHMC, would like to make a comparison.

Thanks.

fruitfull1:
@PHEMA meeehnnn! I thruway yanch give you. loool. congratulations are in order. I hope I will be able to plan that well in February . I have not made up my mind about hospital sha

@ flowers I got this mail from dr Ziworitin's office;

ESTIMATED COST FOR OB CARE AND DELIVERY AT OAKBEND MEDICAL CENTER RICHMOND, TX
Doctors Fee:
Initial Visit……………….…$190.00
Lab Tests…………….……...$270.00
Vaginal Delivery……….$2,200 High risk-$2,400
cesarean section……….$2,600 High risk- $2,800

Hospital Fees:
Hospital Charge for vaginal delivery……..$2,300
Hospital charge for c-section-$3,500
Pediatrician ………..…….$320

Other Fees:
Anesthesia for Epidural in labor……….$850
Anesthesia for c-section…………$950

Estimated Total cost for Vaginal delivery:…………………..$6,130
Estimated cost for cesarean delivery……………………….$6,630

Yours truly

DamaZiworitin, MD FACOG

OB PACKAGE PRICES

MEMORIAL HERMANN SUGAR LAND
Normal Vaginal Delivery $3,969.00
C-Section $5,895.00
METHODIST SUGAR LAND
Normal Vaginal Delivery $2,538.00
C-Section $3,780.00

WEST HOUSTON
Normal Vaginal Delivery $2,500.00
C-Section $4,000.00

OAKBEND MEDICAL CENTER
Normal Vaginal $2,300
C-section $3,500

I hope this answers you Houston questions

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Jomikish: 2:41pm On Nov 27, 2014
SisiOlu:

Hi Jomikish,

Congrats on ur visa, kindly share a transcript of your interview

Thanks in advance

I'm not so much of a 'typist'... Bt I'd try

Vo: Good morning, where will u be going to in US?
Me: Texas
Vo: what will u go there for?
Me: We are having a baby
Vo: oh great! Do u have contact with a doctor already?
Me: yes... (Then I started flipping thru to give her ) and says to my hubby, ; while we wait for her, can u tell me where u work and what u do there.... Hubby responds... Bla bla
I handed her the mails and letter of medical responsibility. She just dumped it and keeps typing. I guess the letter headed paper did not even interest her ....
She asks for our statements. Has a balance of 1.7mm. She asked for hubby's and we left it in the car!!!! Phew....

She smiled and said it was fine. She then brought the white form, and says that she can't make a decision yet coz doctoresparati ain't doctors and she can't approve for me to give Ma money to fixers. She advised us to get another doc and says that will give us a true pix of the cost.

We went back a week later with Oakbend bills and mails from Dr Fagbohun. She asked to see statements again and that was it. I was just dancing in Ma mind. Lol. God is faithful!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fruitfull1: 3:05pm On Nov 27, 2014
[quote author=isysleek post=28391855]@Fruitfull1, this oakbend hospital is looking good o. Please how do I contact the doctor and hospital. Since its in Richmond just like WHMC, would like to make a comparison.
Thanks.

I just sent you a mail.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by babyf2012: 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2014
@Phema, a big congrats on ur successful POE story, please i will be leaving mid dec and as wit the rate of dollar going up to 182 i cant afford to change naira, do u think i can hold some dollars like 3500 and hold enough pounds since that is what i have.. i hope this wont raise eyebrows oooo... abeg all the gurus in the house add to this... thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Saved2Serve: 3:51pm On Nov 27, 2014
PHEMA has finally deflowered (disvirgined) phoenix POE....
Phema:
Hello everyone!! This is Phema reporting live from Phoenix, AZ!! grin. How are y'all doing? I don miss una wella kiss. From the newbies to the "question answerers" to the groundnut eaters. grin Sorry I've not been participating actively for awhile now. Didn't have much going anyways, so there wasn't much to say.

Got into Phoenix tuesday night (Phoenix time). Flew BA and POE was Phoenix. Infact, make I start this gist from the beginning. . . grin

I flew from Lag and the experience with those Immigration officers wasn't bad at all. I already prepared not to tip any body, so didn't go with any naira. My big belle was all the "egunje" they needed. I weighed all my bags at home before setting out. So I didn't have any that was past the 23KG limit. I made sure of that. The lady that weighed my bags was surprised both were 23KG on the dot. grin

Then I got to the people that search bags. They were quite courteous and barely searched my bags. One of them helped my take the boxes to the check in counter. Checked in and was asked for my fit to fly. I gave dem a copy and they filed it. I chose my seat online, so i had my boarding pass ready.

We were two preggers that planned our trip together so it was not so exhausting or boring cos we had each other's company. We requested for wheelchair services for Heathrow during check in at MMA1. Didn't even know that could be done. So, the officer included it on our boarding passes. Preggers with layover should try and request for it. It turned out to be a life saver at Heathrow.

Like Tvegas advised, we didn't queue at immigration in Lagos. We used the fast lane and they gave us priority treatment till we got to the boarding gate. Everything went so smoothly without any hassles or delays. All we did was put on our "preggy faces" and behaved like we were going to pass out, or worse still, go into labour if we had the minutest of all hassles. Lol

We boarded at the right time. No delays whatsoever. Got to Heathrow and waited to be driven to the terminal where we would be connecting to the US. While others walked and were asking for direction, all we did was present our boarding passes. The driver knew exactly what to do and where to take us. So we were driven to go sit at a very comfy and warmer place to wait for our connecting flight. The experience was awesome. Everyone gave "wheelchair" passengers priority treatment. We didn't have to bother about sleeping off and missing our flights cos they would always call your name when it's time for you to board. Time came and they drove us to the boarding gate. We didn't join the queue. We were the first set of passengers to board. Yea yea, we are special like that. grin smiley

Now to POE. . .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bj2012golf(m): 4:02pm On Nov 27, 2014
CONGRATULATIONS!

I keep wondering why d African-American VO in d 1st cubicle denied us and gave us d blue paper!

My wife , MIL and I were denied, despite presenting Dr D Ziwortin'si letter, with receipt of part payment of $1k, Oakbend hospital's letter n breakdown of all fees of $8k.

The VO's main grouse was dat $8k was too low for birthing cost!?

Going back next week Tuesday though, we've deposited abt $10k in my dom acct to add to d naira statement which has N3.4m. Abi dat one too low too??

Jomikish:

I'm not so much of a 'typist'... Bt I'd try

Vo: Good morning, where will u be going to in US?
Me: Texas
Vo: what will u go there for?
Me: We are having a baby
Vo: oh great! Do u have contact with a doctor already?
Me: yes... (Then I started flipping thru to give her ) and says to my hubby, ; while we wait for her, can u tell me where u work and what u do there.... Hubby responds... Bla bla
I handed her the mails and letter of medical responsibility. She just dumped it and keeps typing. I guess the letter headed paper did not even interest her ....
She asks for our statements. Has a balance of 1.7mm. She asked for hubby's and we left it in the car!!!! Phew....

She smiled and said it was fine. She then brought the white form, and says that she can't make a decision yet coz doctoresparati ain't doctors and she can't approve for me to give Ma money to fixers. She advised us to get another doc and says that will give us a true pix of the cost.

We went back a week later with Oakbend bills and mails from Dr Fagbohun. She asked to see statements again and that was it. I was just dancing in Ma mind. Lol. God is faithful!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Saved2Serve: 4:06pm On Nov 27, 2014
is it lagos consulate?
bj2012golf:
CONGRATULATIONS!

I keep wondering why d African-American VO in d 1st cubicle denied us and gave us d blue paper!

My wife , MIL and I were denied, despite presenting Dr D Ziwortin'si letter, with receipt of part payment of $1k, Oakbend hospital's letter n breakdown of all fees of $8k.

The VO's main grouse was dat $8k was too low for birthing cost!?

Going back next week Tuesday though, we've deposited abt $10k in my dom acct to add to d naira statement which has N3.4m. Abi dat one too low too??

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Saved2Serve: 4:07pm On Nov 27, 2014
congrats phema. please which bag did you keep the frozen red oil? checked-in bag or hand luggage?
Phema:
Tips and lessons learnt

-Most foods are allowed. All you need do is dry them properly. I went with any and everything you can think of. Apart from meat. My friend even came with fried snail. They saw it and didn't flinch. Just dry or fry them and make sure your beans does not have any weavle or insects.

-Know exactly what you are doing and be armed with info as regards your trip. It helps to be very confident and not look ill prepared at any point.

-Do not go with a heavy hand luggage. I will advise you have a very small shoulder purse where you can put your money and phones. And then a small carry-on rollable/trolley bag for other items. This is easier to move with as all u need do is roll. I went with a bag I couldn't roll and had to carry on my shoulders all through. If not for the wheelchair services, e for no funny at all.

-For bush people like moi that donot like airline food, please go with snacks in your hand luggage. I had bread, biscuits, plantain chips, coconut chips, meat pie, sausage roll, doughnut etc. These came in handy during the whole trip especially during my 9hr lay over at Heathrow. Just kept requesting for juice, water and drinks and was jejely eating my snacks. They managed to serve us what looked like jollof rice on our Lag - Heathrow leg. As the saying goes "if e no be panadol, e no fit be like panadol" grin

-Request for wheelchair services if you are far gone and will be transiting at a busy and huge airport. You will be glad you did.

-Weigh your bags before leaving the house. It helps to avoid unnecessary hitches.

-If you can, plan your trip together with a friend who will be due at almost same time. Not only does it kill boredom, it also reduces cost as both if you will go for appointments together, shopping and all. Reduces cab fare by half.

Will update as I remember. . .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bj2012golf(m): 4:27pm On Nov 27, 2014
Yes.

Ours were renewal, only MIL was new, why we had to appear for interview.

Saved2Serve:
is it lagos consulate?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dayonuel(m): 4:59pm On Nov 27, 2014
Hi all,

Many thanks for the useful information here.
My wife and I are planning to have our first baby in the US; Oak Bend, Sugar land Houston Methodist or in West Houston medical hospital to be precise. I have tried to get in touch with couple of doctors to no avail.
Can any on e help with the emails of any of these doctors to enable us engage them? Dr Funsho Fagbohun, Dr Geoffery Zimmerman, Dr Ubesie, Dr Daniel Antosh Or Dr Jeanie Huynh.

My email is dayonuel@gmail.com

Many thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by SisiOlu: 5:00pm On Nov 27, 2014
@ BJ2012golf,

Do you have another child? The blue paper 214b refers to inability to show strong ties to home country. Did u show her your budget which should include miscellanous for unplanned expenses.

I think your wife should apply alone this time or with ur MIL. Another alternative is to get several quotes from other doctors within/below the same range to prove that the amount is not too low as other hospitals charge about same price. Also, try and leave a window period before your next inteview so u dnt appear desperate. Lastly, fast and pray for favour.

Goodluck in your next interview.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 27, 2014
Saved2Serve:
congrats phema. please which bag did you keep the frozen red oil? checked-in bag or hand luggage?

Checked in bag.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2014
babyf2012:
@Phema, a big congrats on ur successful POE story, please i will be leaving mid dec and as wit the rate of dollar going up to 182 i cant afford to change naira, do u think i can hold some dollars like 3500 and hold enough pounds since that is what i have.. i hope this wont raise eyebrows oooo... abeg all the gurus in the house add to this... thanks

Babe, this your question strong oooo grin. How do you intend paying for stuff with pounds? Aren't you going to change pounds to USD?

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by isysleek: 5:37pm On Nov 27, 2014
Dr Jeanie Huynh is obgynh@yahoo.com

If you read thru from page 100 to this last page, you will see many contact info for hospitals and docs in Houston...infact Texas as a whole

dayonuel:
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to have our first baby in the US; Oak Bend, Sugar land Houston Methodist or in West Houston medical hospital to be precise. I have tried to get in touch with couple of doctors to no avail.
Can any on e help with the emails of any of these doctors to enable us engage them? Dr Funsho Fagbohun, Dr Geoffery Zimmerman, Dr Ubesie, Dr Daniel Antosh Or Dr Jeanie Huynh.

Many thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by PetMe13: 5:46pm On Nov 27, 2014
dayonuel:
Hi all,

Many thanks

Jeanie Huynh: obgynh@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bj2012golf(m): 5:48pm On Nov 27, 2014
Yes we have our 1st child not in the US tho. Home ties? We've been to the US before and Uk as a family.

I actually have other quotes from Dr. La and Dr. Zimmerman

Thank you for your comments, very helpful

SisiOlu:
@ BJ2012golf,

Do you have another child? The blue paper 214b refers to inability to show strong ties to home country. Did u show her your budget which should include miscellanous for unplanned expenses.

I think your wife should apply alone this time or with ur MIL. Another alternative is to get several quotes from other doctors within/below the same range to prove that the amount is not too low as other hospitals charge about same price. Also, try and leave a window period before your next inteview so u dnt appear desperate. Lastly, fast and pray for favour.

Goodluck in your next interview.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bims87(f): 5:56pm On Nov 27, 2014
chiduks:
Good morning house. Pls I really need your advise. I've tried on countless times to make a deposit to a hosp in philly that I intend using. But they keep saying they don't accept prepayments. I'm scared cos I knw its advisable to show a receipt at d poe. Although I have d docs appt and my hubby and I plan to each hold 8k. Do u tink that wld suffice at d poe without the receipt frm d hosp?pls I'm open to ur suggestions. Thanks.

daddy:
Please note that she got her visa last year and was to travel for xmas but was told that it was too cold so they decided to go in July only for her to take in sometime in April. They had bought their ticket so cancelled it so she can go for birthing. What documents will she require at the port of entry and hope this will not pose any ise with same experience? Please help out.

I would seriously you advice her to read the whole blog and if not the whole from at least page 100,what she would gain from this cant be over emphasised.Thar said.
The good thing here is that she did not lie during her visa interview that she was not pregnant,because truely at that time she wasent.
It is imortant she writes a letter to the embassy informing them that she is using the visa for birthing purpose, will advice she writes to both lagos and abuja which ever reply suits her the most she should use,their email are consularabuja@state.gov and lagosniv@state.gov.
She should dowload the consent form for her husband to notarise before she leaves,i have heard that some states in the us requires the form to be notarised @ the us embassy while others accept just notarisation from any notary public
She should also go with doctors coresponde o, and enough cash o.

Thanks @ Babatwi. She wrote to them and they responded. see response below. Thanks for the assistance.

Thank you for your email.

There is no legal requirement to inform us that you are seeking medical treatment in the United States. The Customs and Border Protection, a branch of USCIS, determines a traveler’s eligibility of entry to the U.S, you should be prepared to demonstrate to the immigration officer at the port of entry why you are seeking medical treatment and that you have logistical and financial plans for the treatment.

We recommend that you review the regulations on non-immigrant aliens entering the United States for purposes of childbirth at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/882/~/visit-the-u.s.-while-pregnant-and-the-risks-involved and plan accordingly. Please you should not stay in the U.S. longer than you are permitted by Customs and Border Protection at the port of entry. The Department of Homeland Security at the port of entry will determine your eligibility to enter the United States on any travel.

If you choose to give birth in the U.S., we advise you to bring evidence of payment, both when you enter the U.S. on this visit, and at your future U.S. visa interviews.

Hello dear,if the hospital has said that they ll only collect payment when they see u in person,u don't ve to disturb urself as long as u have a letter that confirms ur appointment with them and u n ur hubby have enough cash to show at the POE. Many preggers here on this forum also didn't make any deposits to dre hospitals till they got to US. Don't fret,just pray for God's favour. Hope this helps
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by chiduks: 6:21pm On Nov 27, 2014
@ heliano: thanks dear
@jyde2014:I'm using evangelical community hospital. It's 23 mins away from where I'll be staying. Would have used delaware,but it's an hour drive away from me. I think my hospital is a bit on the high side,consider the what others are paying so far.
Hospital fee is $5000 for vaginal delivery
Doctors fee is $2645.
Lab and ultrasound is$500
Pediatrician's fee is $1500 for 4visits.
A 30% discount is applied if u pay cash.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by chiduks: 6:22pm On Nov 27, 2014
@bims87: Thanks. I'll do as advised.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by daddy: 6:25pm On Nov 27, 2014
Hello dear,if the hospital has said that they ll only collect payment when they see u in person,u don't ve to disturb urself as long as u have a letter that confirms ur appointment with them and u n ur hubby have enough cash to show at the POE. Many preggers here on this forum also didn't make any deposits to the hospitals till they got to US. Don't fret,just pray for God's favour. Hope this helps

@bims87, thanks for that response.What of a situation where they say they will not receive any payment and they still did not give you any estimated bill. Can one still scale through POE? Will only the letter of responsibility from doctor in the USA and cash of 10,000 dollars suffice? Though still insisting on the bill to see if possible.

please help out.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bims87(f): 6:40pm On Nov 27, 2014
daddy:
Hello dear,if the hospital has said that they ll only collect payment when they see u in person,u don't ve to disturb urself as long as u have a letter that confirms ur appointment with them and u n ur hubby have enough cash to show at the POE. Many preggers here on this forum also didn't make any deposits to the hospitals till they got to US. Don't fret,just pray for God's favour. Hope this helps

@bims87, thanks for that response.What of a situation where they say they will not receive any payment and they still did not give you any estimated bill. Can one still scale through POE? Will only the letter of responsibility from doctor in the USA and cash of 10,000 dollars suffice? Though still insisting on the bill to see if possible.

please help out.

Does the letter of responsibility from the doc state the amount he is charging? If yes,then u can use it at the POE n tell them that the Dr said u can only pay when he sees you and the same goes for the hospital. Have the name of the hospital in mind though.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Ezemistic: 7:43pm On Nov 27, 2014
I am looking for better flight to book ABUJA to ELPASO, pls everyone tell me which airline is better... apart from wakanow.com which other website can i use to book.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Ezemistic: 7:54pm On Nov 27, 2014
Does it make sense not to include insurance fee in the flight booking? because i just tried wakanow without insurance = 770K, but with insurance=904K

Pls someone should advice.....THANKS
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Ezemistic: 8:13pm On Nov 27, 2014
Does anyone know about UNITED AIRLINE? Is it better than BA, pls advice, I just used google to search, and i saw travelstart.com, so i m currently searching for flight with it. Pls advice, i really need to book the flight tonite.....

THANKS
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 8:27pm On Nov 27, 2014
Ezemistic:
Does anyone know about UNITED AIRLINE? Is it better than BA, pls advice, I just used google to search, and i saw travelstart.com, so i m currently searching for flight with it. Pls advice, i really need to book the flight tonite.....

THANKS
. I would advise you use BA. And check that the POE is not houston

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Virtuousdiva: 8:47pm On Nov 27, 2014
Ezemistic:
THANKS

Ezemistic....not to sound biased but I don't know about United airlines being better than BA.So far as you are going to El Paso,It will be fine if you use BA.We are many using BA going to EL Paso.Some with Dallas As POE while some Chicago.The best thing also will be to book BA through their website directly if you make up your mind on BA.

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.