Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:26 PM

Student Visa Success Stories - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Student Visa Success Stories (20246 Views)

Bank Sponsorship & Visa Success: Any Difference? / My Student Visa Success Today / Tourism/visiting Visa Success Stories: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Visa Success Stories by paribus(m): 10:22am On Jun 24, 2007
It's good to read the various threads on travel and visa experience from different people. I must admit that this has been very informative, educative and enlightening. And a big up to @Akolawole @Funkybaby @Imani @Londoncool @MrPataki @Vicjustice @all the rest i might have left out for giving your candid (and often times very helpful opinions) on these issues.

I've gone through a lot of visa application related threads in the travel section and i find it very very useful as i'll be applying for a UK student visa soon. While I've learnt a lot from the experience of folks that has had their visa applications rejected from one reason or the other, i think we can all benefit from other folks that have had a successful visa application as well if they can indulge the house in their success stories by taking a little time to write about their experience.

I'll appreciate if nairalanders in the house (or can encourage anyone you know) to please record their success stories about student visa (or other categories) application so that prospective applicants can learn a thing or two from these as well.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by ibis: 5:10pm On Jun 24, 2007
hiya. i went for my masters sept 2005 n finished in 2006. dont know if the procedure has changed but this is my 2cents.
i think the most important things to do when applying for a student visa are:

1) fill your student questionaire very well as your answers determine how serious you are
2) make sure you have evidence of accomoessdation ie your term time address b4 u apply for visa
3) your sponsors letter sld come preferably be on the letterhead of where they work
4)the bank statement you use sld have at least 3 million naira in it
5)u sld try to pay a deposit of about 4,000pounds 2wards ur fees b4 applying
6)when given ur visa, it sld be valid for 5months after u are due to finish, so check the date to ensure this.

thats it! goodluck!!!!
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by paribus(m): 5:56pm On Jun 24, 2007
@ibis

Thanks for taking the time to share your story with Nairalanders. I can't but agree with you on the Student Supplement questionnaire. I believe this was introduced not long ago to help in determining the genuineness of a student application in the wake of the deluge of 'prospective students' wishing to study in the UK.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by manoy(m): 4:08pm On Jun 25, 2007
visa
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by funkybaby(f): 6:16pm On Jun 25, 2007
@manoy

use as many accounts as possible. just explain the source of funds for each of the accounts by attaching a covering letter with each bank statement. if it is an investment account, do the same. never think that any document is 'too much' to be given to the embassy. also, never think that the ECOs will assume anything. explain everything to them in black and white. the fact is that even if you are wrongly refused, all the documents you have submitted and all the neccessary clarifications you have made will be helpful in your appeal case.

also take time to explain your relationship to your sponsor. you can also explain the relevance of your intended course of study to the degrees you have already acquired.

but most of all, pray to God about it cos it is His favour that counts.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by funkybaby(f): 6:21pm On Jun 25, 2007
@paribus

i really dont have much to say about student visa application since i have never applied for one personally. all i can say is (from the experiences of friends and family members), if you can afford to pay the FULL tution money, go ahead and do so. this not only increases your chances of getting your visa but will also take off the pressure of trying to ''hussle'' for the remaining balance of your school fees once you get to the UK.

@ibis

please, can you explain in full what you mean by evidence of accommodation?

thanks.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by Vicjustice: 8:22pm On Jun 26, 2007
A wise one sees and hear many things before making contributions or assessments. This is the case of the author of this tread Paribus. I can understand that this is just his second post, and from this very post, it's obvious that he's been quietly following all news, reasonable discursions and all useful developments even without saying a word: and now, he came out with a wise topic: People like this guy hardly fall into trouble that are evitable.
  I hail you, paribus, you're a great observer!
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by manoy(m): 2:11am On Jun 27, 2007
Still on the application stuff,
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by kitaun(m): 11:54am On Jun 27, 2007
@Vicjustice

what makes u sure that Paribus is a new nairalander?

no offence intended, but pls take a cue from the so many multiple id users that abound cheesy

@PARIBUS

Like I said, no offence intended cool
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by paribus(m): 7:00pm On Jun 27, 2007
@Kitaun
No offence taken at all. In the meanwhile let's not lose track of the original information this thread was set out to capture in the first place 'Success stories of uk student visa applications'. Let's leave the job of tracking multiple identities to the best man equipped to do the job (Seun) who i'm sure has ample utilities to log IP addresses and stop identity proliferation (if he so wishes). And for users that have the spare time to create multiple IDs and maintain these, i'll say 'good for them' if that's what floats their boat.

@Vicjustice
Opinions still remains one of the things we're all entitled to. How we choose to express this is simply from our own judgement. I think i have gotten a couple of good info from your postings and i'll leave it at that. Pls do encourage people you know to present their stories (or do on their behalf) as related to the thread topic. Regards
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by paribus(m): 8:34pm On Aug 23, 2007
TO GOD BE ALL THE GLORY !!!

My student visa interview today was successful and went well with no issues. Please find below some info about my application (hope it proves helpful to someone as similar postings on nairaland had proved helpful to me).

Application

Submitted an application for a student visa at vfs ikeja on july 25th. Given 14 working days for a response.

Got called by bhc in the morning (around 10:31am) 1 day before the end of the 14 working days and told to come for an interview today. I inquired from the caller if i needed to bring any docs but i was told to only come with my slip given at vfs. (i presume this would be same for most candidates called for an interview and i later found out that there were other group of applicants at the bhc that came for 'documents' - possibly asked just to bring a required doc before their app could be decided).

I submitted the following with my application:

1. Certificate of acceptance from University.
2. Letter of acceptance from University.
3. University certificate
4. Statement of result from university
5. Professional qualifications (I'm in IT so submitted my IT certificates - bout 10 in all)
6. Bank Statement from my bank. (My current, savings and dom).
7. Covering letter from bank confirming authenticity of bank statements and current balances.
8. Life policy savings statements
9. Cover letter from Assurance company confirming authenticity of Life policy and current balance. ( i didn't really have much in this account, about 200k but just something to further reinforce my genuine financial activities). I didn't reckon it'll carry any weight really but i thought i'll include it anyway.
10. Letter from university confirming full payment of school fees. I'd earlier paid my school fees wiring funds from my dom account to the school. I didn't reckon that 'full school fees payment' would guarantee a visa, but like someone rightly pointed out on a earlier today/yesterday, i'd wanted to be excused from the burden of having to proof ability to fund school fees and on the long run, much more convenient for me as i won't have to bother about school fees once i start the course. I also highlighted on my statements line showing transfer of school fees to my school.
11. An excel spreadsheet showing a breakdown of living expenses for 1 year together with supporting evidence of how the projected expenses were derived. (i'll be living in a rented accommodation with my wife and kid so it was important for me to be able to demonstrate my knowledge of the living expenses i'll be facing. I had in the spreadsheet lines as follows (not in exact words):

Expenses description - unit cost - Qty - Total - Notes

Accomodation - 500 - 12 - 6000 - Tenancy Agreement attached
Council Tax - 0 - - - - Would apply for exemption
Transport - 200 - 3- 600 - Attached printed pages from transport company in the city where i'm schooling showing discounted fares for students. Also attached journey planner routes indicating distances from rented accomodation to school.
TV license - 140 - 1 - 140 - tvlicense web site printout

and other stuffs covering gas, electricity, water, feeding , miscellaneous expenses.

All this was to indicate that i have an accurate or nearly accurate knowledge of the expenses i would be facing.

12. 52-week assured shorthold tenancy agreement.
13. marriage cert,
14. birth cert of kid
15. family pix
16. leave letter from employer
17. Intro letter from employer
18. newspaper postings of adverts requesting my qualification of study (i did indicate that my original intention is to return to my work after my course of study but in the near future avail myself of prime opportunities in the growing ict sector. i had about 6 newspaper clips.

For all this documents, i had an A4 paper with appropriate header for each document groups as cover pagesand organised in the following manner:

Cover page 1: Evidence of acceptance by university
Cover page 2: Evidence of academic qualifications
cp 3: evidence of professional qualifications
cp 4: evidence of ability to fund course of study
cp 5: evidence of ability to fund living expenses

and so on (with names of attached docs listed on each cover pages).

Is this really necessary, not that i entirely think so, but i try to put myself in the shoes of the ECO. would i prefer they wade through my app to locate appropriate documents or have it all well presented and easy located with little efforts. I thought i'd go with the latter, besides i have nothing to lose.

Well this is the details i'm able to give regarding my application. It's in no way meant for any self glory but rather hoping it might be useful to someone somewhere perhaps.

Like i said in my earlier posts, i learnt a lot from the posts of other fellas here and out of anxiety and profound eagerness for success, decide to add some things i felt might be helpful.

INTERVIEW

Got to the bhc today around 6.45, met about 4 guys already waiting. As luck would have it (not that it mattered really) when we were being ushered into the outside waiting area - around 7.10, i was the first one in.

We eventually got called into the inner bhc waiting area at around 8am and was asked to finger print some 40minutes later. From the post of the other guys that have earlier gone on an interview, i had expected a long waiting day, but to my surprise i was called in for an interview.

Interview questions: (very similar to what has been earlier posted):

Which course, why are you going on the course, where is the uni, where do you work, are you going with your family, how will you pay your fees (indicated fees already fully paid), where i'm working. All these lasted about 5-8mins. Then the guy said casually 'i'll issue you the visa' and i tried as much as possible to say in a very subdued and mellowed voice 'thank you and thank you for your time'./

He handed me a slip and said to wait for about an hour for my visa. However the bhc queue marshall advised otherwise that i should give about 2-3 hrs. Went to a couple of places in vi and came back abt 2.5 hrs later but alas i didn't end up getting the stuff until about 3.30pm considering that i was the first to be interviewd that day (talk about the 1st sometimes being the last). But it was all good. Got the papers, broke out and TO GOD BE ALL THE GLORY.

I've tried to give as much details as possible (excluding personal info of course) but if there is any areas more light needs shedding, it'll be my pleasure.

I hope others would be able to record their experience as well. (not necessarily on this thread) as long as nairalanders can locate and benefit from it.

Cheers all. Once again to God be the glory. I'm not taking any glory at all for myself. Forget about all my write up, did i tell you i was fasting and praying for 4 solid weeks and still continuing. It's been a God trusting experience for me. I've been visiting the UK regularly and still had a current visit visa but i knew i needed God's Grace and Mercy to sail me through my student visa which i know i quite different from a visit visa.

Everyone in the house, keep cool and my true regards
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by mrpataki(m): 8:54pm On Aug 23, 2007
Congrats paribus.

Glad to know, I could be of assistance here. Though my days on this forum are limited now. A lot of nonsense now abound on this forum, and a lot of discouragements have made it not too good to give advice again on this forum.

Nevertheless, Welcome to the UK. Take all relevant documents with you in your hand luggage when coming sha. You will be subjected to questioning. I can assure you on that.

Good luck.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by DisGuy: 9:10pm On Aug 23, 2007
Congrats Paribus, you got everything covered! wink
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 23, 2007
paribus

talk abt being thorough!!
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by Akolawole(m): 12:23am On Aug 24, 2007
@Paribus

Congrat man.

@Lesson to UK Student visa applicants

Visa application preparation shouldnt be a fire brigade exercise, it requires proper planning. Good example from our man Paribus.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by Vicjustice: 8:57pm On Sep 08, 2007
I share the joy of your success, Paribus. May it continue to be well with you
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by DEEBOY29(m): 9:52pm On Sep 08, 2007
paribus,please is it compulsory that you pay your full skol fees?because i applied and i included the reciept for 1000pounds which my skool asked me to pay to make my offer unconditional,i am being sponsored by my dads company where he his the Managing director and i am a non executive director in the company,hope the fees i paid won't be used against me,won't they take it as being unserious?
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by paribus(m): 12:05am On Sep 09, 2007
@VicJustice
Thanks for your well wishes. Pray the same for you as well. Arrived in the UK last week without any issues and presently settling in waiting for school to start.

@DEEBOY29
From my very limited knowledge, i don't think it is compulsory to pay full school fees. For all the schools i've directly checked out, none of them require full school fees payment. Mine for instance requires 50% payment of school fees (but only before enrolment - which would normally come after visa issuance) for all students. If 1000pounds is what your school have asked you to pay to satisfy the requirements for being given an unconditional offer, then i would think that should suffice for the EC requirements (in addition to providing evidence of availability of funds to cover the remaining fees). It might be helpful to bring attention to the 1000pounds requirements stated on the letter from the uni and how this has been your guide to the amount of school fees you decided to pay before your visa app (on your student questionnaire form, in a personal statement, or in a cover note attached to the letter) but as you've already submitted your app, this should not really matter.

In my case, i just happen to have all the funds for the complete school fees prior to my visa app and going by my uni refund policy, i reckon that i should have no issues with getting a refund if my visa app didn't scale through, so primarily on this basis, i had no issues with making a complete payment.

As per sponsorship by your dad's company (i reckon this would be your company as well as you are a non-executive director - right?), i don't know much about this area but i believe you must have done the proper separation of the ltd company from the individual directors in the sponsorship docs submitted. If i could recall correctly, i think there's an earlier thread on this forum where Akolawole, Mr Pataki treated this issue of company sponsorship extensively (though can't locate the precise one at the mo').

By all means i wish you the very best and a positive result in your visa app.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by opensource(m): 4:46pm On Sep 20, 2007
@paribus

thats some good formating you got there for the visa application and congrats tongue thats good for all those BHC people

i would like you to take a review at my issue discused here and if possible for you to contribute to what possible i could do to get a student Visa

although mine is Australia , i still believe proper packaging implies to all

here is the link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-79494.0.html
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by Tats(m): 11:13pm On Sep 20, 2007
@Paribus's application was a very thorough one. Other applicants should take a cue from it and package well documented applications. Always put yourself in the shoes of whoever will treat any application you make - Have you put all that is necessary for the Entry Clearance Officer to make an informed decision or what makes your application different from the pack?
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by face2ecaf: 7:52am On Sep 21, 2007
@poster and other's in the house, I'll appreciate it if anyone can ans my question; I intend to apply for student visa by january and i'll like to know if i can include my spouse application at the same time if all other relevant doc are available.

thanks and waiting for reply.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by paribus(m): 10:54pm On Sep 21, 2007
opensource:

@paribus

thats some good formating you got there for the visa application and congrats tongue thats good for all those BHC people

i would like you to take a review at my issue discused here and if possible for you to contribute to what possible i could do to get a student Visa

although mine is Australia , i still believe proper packaging implies to all

here is the link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-79494.0.html

@Opensource
Quite honestly, i know next to nothing about Australian migration - processes or regulations. I'm afraid i won't be of much help in this respect and won't claim otherwise. Having gone through your thread and as you've pointed out, maybe ensuring you have all the required documents and arranging them in a well indexed order might help your application. Whichever way, i wish you a positive outcome. Regards

face2ecaf:

@poster and other's in the house, I'll appreciate it if anyone can ans my question; I intend to apply for student visa by january and i'll like to know if i can include my spouse application at the same time if all other relevant doc are available.

thanks and waiting for reply.

@face2ecaf
I believe you can include your spouse application as a student dependent. The immig laws allow this. And with you 'having all other relevant docs available', no reason not to go ahead. Regards
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by face2ecaf: 6:20pm On Sep 22, 2007
@paribus

Cheers man and congrats once more.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by manoy(m): 8:14pm On Sep 23, 2007
I got my own visa too.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by aforbaje(m): 1:24am On Sep 29, 2007
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by mayayi: 8:06am On Oct 04, 2007
Since sept 29th,there is no Student Visa Success Story.Hope Oyinbo has not started refusing all candidates Visa.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by damola08: 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2007
my is not a success story but i have learnt somethings from this forum. i have applied twice and have bee i am about to apply again or appeal i need advice from you.

Think i should explain better how it was written in my refusal notice am a prospective student of Sheffield Hallam university. I was to start in September this year but was refused visa the first time. I applied again trying to meet up with the reason i was refused the first time but i was refused again on another reason again. now the 1st reason i was given was refused was in their words "You stated that your sponsor is your father, , I n support of your application you have provided your sponsor's bank statement. the account balance was previously low and stood at 458,030.05 Nara (approx 1,775 GBP,) on 4 June 2007. the balance has increased recently by a large deposit that is inconsistent with the account history. for example 20,161,410.51 Nara(approx 78,145GBP) was deposited on the 18 June 2007. without a satisfactory evidence to show the source of these funds, I am not satisfied that this money is available to you for your studies. Nor am i satisfied the bank statement provides an accurate reflection of your sponsor's financial circumstances. following careful consideration of the documentary evidence provided i cannot be satisfied, on the balance of probabilities, that you are able to meet the cost of the course and maintain-and accommodate yourself without recourse to full time employment or public funds as required by paragraph 57(vii)

You state that you have completed your secondary education to the equivalent of O/A level, under the auspices of the West African Examinations council (WAEC) however, you have failed to produce the relevant certificate from this authority to corroborate this claim. This office has experienced a marked increase in the number of counterfeit WEAC certificates presented in support of applications. As such, it is reasonable to expect applicants claiming to have completed WAEC examinations.Unlike WEAC certificates the statement of result that you presented does not contain security features and is not of uniform format. As such, it is unverifiable. in the absence of a WAEC certificate, I'm not satisfied that your academic record is as claimed and therefore that you are able to follow your chosen course in the United Kingdom. Paragraph 57(ii)

I then reapplied i got my WAEC certificate my fathers lawyers then wrote the embassy that the money was from a fix deposit my father runs with the bank and that the money was from his money accrued to him from some assignment he has carried out with some international body like the world bank and UNICEF. i also submitted two other bank statement from my father also.

I think i should explain better as it was written in my refusal notice

you state that the cost of your tuition,maintenance and accommodation is to be borne by your father. as evidence of his fund you have submitted a there bank statement. you have not provided details of your sponsor's commitment in terms of family and other financial outlay. without any evidence. I am not satisfied this evidence represent a genuine reflection of your sponsor's actual financial circumstances. As a result i cannot be satisfied that these funds will be available to you for the purposes of study. (para 57(vii)
Now i am con fused on what to do. because i have been given the opportunity of admission for January but i do not know what to do. My father said he is usually not given a payslip in his office and tax certificate is not issued to him. i do not know what to do. please i need your professional assistance. Thank you for your antiscipated assistance.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by Rare(m): 4:18am On Oct 06, 2007
@ damola_007; I had a similar refusal note like yours; and nearby school as well : University of Sheffield.

As evidence of his funds you have submitted a bank statement. No evidence has been provided of regular income and outgoing or financial commitments of your sponsor. Nor have you provided detals of your sponsor's commitments in terms of family and other financial outlay. Without any evidence as to source of these funds, I am not satisfied this evidence represent a genuine reflection of your sponsor's actual financial circumstances. As a result I cannot be satisfied that these funds will be available to you for the purpose of study.

I just wonder the best way to show "sponsor's outgoing or financial commitment"

I even submitted evidences of sources of revenue from landed properties (in form of tenancy agreements of occupants) of sponsor to supplement. They made no comment on it . Don't know if that meant satisfaction or ignored.

With an extension letter I wonder if I could reapply??

Sorry for the deviation on the success stories; I just felt I'd get relevant attention here.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by mizztee(f): 6:37pm On Oct 06, 2007
@ Rare i was also University of sheffield bound and was refused a visa. I asked for a letter of extension and wasn't given but then again departments differ.
I hear some departments allow January entry so i suggest u call the admissions office and speak to them about your situation.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by Rare(m): 10:52pm On Oct 07, 2007
@Mizztee

So what did you do? Deferred your admission to Sheffield? Still plan to be theresome other time? Let's talk

You're the first prospective student I eventually met going to Sheffield after searching here so long.
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by damola08: 4:09pm On Oct 08, 2007
@Mizztee@ Rare
i also submited all that but was refused still i have been adviced to appeal but i know appeal takes a lond time buti just want to know if i can fasttrack the appeal. i have an oppurtunity for january. just pray i do not miss dis one
Re: Student Visa Success Stories by damola08: 5:23pm On Oct 08, 2007
@paripus
pls i will like to know if u paid for the tenancy agreement u included in ur application.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG To Establish National Carrier / MKO Abiola Road Ibadan Flooded After 3-Hour Rainfall (Video) / Completed Project: Dualisation Of The 12.5 Km Challenge-odo Ona Road (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.