Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,887 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:45 AM

What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? (20040 Views)

Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines / When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. / ***hello House! Which Is Better? A Petrol Or A Diesel Engine Car/suv*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 10:39am On Mar 06, 2011
Just thought I'd bring this up for discussion.

I've noticed a tendency for most Nigerians to stake their preference on a petrol engine, over a diesel one, even in a commercial vehicle. Bearing in mind, most Nigerians are after better MPG, and lower running costs, I find it odd, that one would buy a commercial vehicle with a petrol engine, or go as far as buying one with a diesel engine, and where a petrol engine isn't an option in the range, get their mechanic to replace it with a petrol unit!

Now, I'm not conversant with the price differential between petrol and diesel in Nigeria, but I do know that a modern diesel engine, of lets say 2,5L will be cheaper to run, than a 2,4L petrol version, in the same car. A diesel engine also has a much longer service life. A diesel engine doesn't rely on a spark to ignite the fuel / air mixture, as in a petrol unit. It relies solely on compression, to ignite diesel. So, there's a lot less internal heat generated.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 06, 2011
A petrol engine in a heavy commercial vehicle, whilst sometimes having a higher specific power output over a diesel of similar capacity, lacks the important ingredient a heavy commercial needs. Torque, and from very low speeds too. A petrol engine needs higher rpm to do any useful work, fine in a passenger car, not so good in a truck, laden with goods. Most commercials in Nigeria will spend a great deal of their time negotiating bad roads at slow speeds, so a petrol engine will be pretty much useless. A diesel will generate bags or torque from as low as 600 rpm, whereby a petrol unit would have long stalled.

There are less items to replace in a diesel engine, when it's time for a service. Ignore what an average mechanic will say - they are also easier to work on. It's just their general lack of knowledge, and their refusal to learn something new that puts them off. Plain laziness. An average commercial vehicle owner can service a diesel engine.

1) Air filter - every 7,000 - 12,000 replace.
2) Diesel filter - every 5,000 - 7,000 miles, drain and refit (water accumulates in the filter bowl, pretty normal).
3) Diesel filter - every 7,000 - 12,000 miles, replace.
4) Oil filter - every 7,000 - 12,000 miles, replace.
5) Oil - every 7,000 - 12,000 miles, replace. (Don't forget top-ups between services, as required).
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 11:13am On Mar 06, 2011
A typical diesel engine, will outlive a comparable petrol one. Examples are shown below:

Toyota 2,2L I4 petrol: 180,000 - 250,000 miles.
Toyota 2,4L I4 diesel: 255,000 - 305,000 miles.

Honda 2,2L I4 petrol: 200,000 - 260,000 miles.
Honda 2.2L I4 diesel: 255,000 - 305,000 miles.

BMW 2,0L I4 petrol: 270,000 - 355,000 miles.
BMW 2,0L I4 diesel: 320,000 - 380,000 miles.
BMW 3,0L I6 petrol: 270,000 - 380,000 miles.
BMW 3,0L I6 diesel: 350,000 - 400,000 miles.

Audi 2,0L I4 petro[/b]l: 270,000 - 370,000 miles.
Audi 2,0L I4 [b]diesel
: 320,000 - 400,000 miles.
Audi 3,0L V6 petrol: 310,000 - 400,000 miles
Audi 3,0L V6 diesel: 360,000 - 450,000 miles.
Audi 4,2L V8 petrol: 330,000 - 400,000 miles.
Audi 4,2L V8 diesel: 350,000 - 460,000 miles.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 06, 2011
In the United States, their freeways are long, their engines big, and petrol generally cheap.

Yet, in recent times, they've begun to show an interest in diesel-engined models. They're cheaper to maintain, economical to run, and a modern turbo diesel will outrun its petrol equivalent.

So, why stick with petrol engines in Nigeria, or rather, why are petrol models preferred?
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by KunleA2(m): 11:53am On Mar 06, 2011
[b]The simple reason is that most mechanics in Naija are not familiar with fixing diesel engines despite its advantage(s) over gasoline engines. The moment a potential buyer/customer signify his/her interest in the diesel engine, rather than the mechanic fess up that he's not competent in its repairs, he will discourage the buyer from getting it.

Hence, diesel engine powered automobiles tend to go for cheap prices. it should have been the other way around. I have seen people who are looking to swap a perfectly good running diesel engine out of a vehicle cos the mechanic said its bad.  shocked

The reverse is the case in Ghana though. About 70-80% autos in Ghana are actually diesel. Endless supply of diesel mechanics in Ghana. I have even seen Toyota RAV4 with 2.0L engine diesel!.

That's insane. You already get between 25-30mpg on gasoline. Diesel will be even better!  grin

You tend to find that most competent diesel mechanics in Nigeria (especially Lagos) tend to be Ghanaian.

It will take a long time for the attitude to change, if ever will.

Just my 2 cents  cool[/b]

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by lungwun(m): 11:59am On Mar 06, 2011
Basically, i think it has to do with where the majority of the vehicles in Nigeria are sourced from.
A high number of vehicles, (Not sure of the exact percentage) are gotten from the United States where it is quite difficult to
get diesel vehicles. This train of thought had actually crossed my mind earlier due to better Mpg gotten from diesel engines
in comparison to their petrol equivalents.
I had initially thought of buying a LHD vehicle (preferrably diesel) from elsewhere in the EU to use in the UK and when my time here is done,
ship it back to Nigeria to use it.
However research on the issues and the cost of the modifications to the vehicle (headlights, speedometer cluster) for it to pass MOT in the UK
have started swaying my mind from that decision.
And as u stated in some earlier post of yours about the cost of conversion to LHD from RHD being prohibitive. I might just go for a banger or stick to
the bus/train/tube.  grin
But i think you have presented a very worthwhile discussion and as you say, it is the complacency, laziness and unwillingness to learn new things of mechanics in Nigeria that has resulted in such a limited automobile selection range in Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by KunleA2(m): 12:09pm On Mar 06, 2011
Not necessarily where it was sourced from. The US spec craze has just been popular within the last 8-10years. Europe is still closer to Naija that the US.

Even when Tokunbo's start to flood Naija in the mid 80's from Belgium, 99% of them are petrol engines.

You hardly get diesel even though Europe has abundant diesel engine cars. Thats why Belgium and Netherlands are very popular destinations in importing to Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Mar 06, 2011
Yes, I understand the laziness and incompetence of Nigerian mechanics. Which is odd, given a diesel-engined vehicle, especially older ones are less complex than a Peugeot 504 with a carburettor, very little electrics, and no ECU to deal with.

Nigerian mechanics have been dealing with diesel engines since the early '70's, in the OM series Mercedes-Benz trucks - 911, 1113, 1518, 1621, 2624 etc. Same goes for older diesel cars, so not sure why this experience can't be applied to cars!
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by LordReed(m): 1:28pm On Mar 06, 2011
First off diesel fuel prices and availability are scary to the average consumer. Petrol costs 65naira while diesel costs 115naira when you can get it and you'll probably have to check several fuel stations or pay attention to the grapevine to find it. Who wants to deal with that issue all the time?

Secondly the availabilty of diesel engined passenger cars has been on the short end. Without the option to choose how can one make that choice?

As for commercial vehicles I believe it has more to so with point one.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 06, 2011
Lord_Reed:

First off diesel fuel prices and availability are scary to the average consumer. Petrol costs 65naira while diesel costs 115naira when you can get it and you'll probably have to check several fuel stations or pay attention to the grapevine to find it. Who wants to deal with that issue all the time?

Brother, I understand where you're coming from.

But the Nigerian preference for petrol engines over diesel, has had little to do with cost. Back when petrol and diesel prices were pretty close, petrol engines have always had the edge. It's more to do with incompetent mechanics, who refuse to get involved in repairs and servicing any engine that has more than 4 cylinders, runs an ancient carburettor and doesn't burn diesel.  wink If the price of diesel was dropped to petrol prices, or even cheaper, I doubt diesel would get the edge.

I wouldn't be surprised if a mechanic tried to persuade a potential client, that the 6 cylinder diesel engine in his bulldozer was better off replaced with a 4 cylinder petrol motor from a 1977 Datsun 120Y.
grin grin

Lord_Reed:

Secondly the availabilty of diesel engined passenger cars has been on the short end. Without the option to choose how can one make that choice?

I don't agree. A lot of Tokunbo passenger cars in Nigeria come from Europe. Peugeot has always pushed the sale of diesel-engined cars from as far back as 1973. Today, they build and sell more diesel models, than petrol ones, and until BMW and Audi came along, were class-leading as far as diesel cars went. Peugeot has been a firm favourite in Nigeria, and to a certain degree, still is today, in the mid-range sector. So, it's hardly anything to do with short supply / source of diesel passenger cars. It's got a lot to do with the unknown, and the fear instilled into the end-user by ignorant mechanics.  smiley

Lord_Reed:

As for commercial vehicles I believe it has more to so with point one.

Lord Reed, I don't get this.  undecided
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by oblo(m): 4:47pm On Mar 06, 2011
I think i would have to agree with kunle on the pint about cost of diesel and at the same time agree with sienna on the fact that ppl have never been really disposed to using\having diesel passenger cars.

Both are valid points really but both have their shortfalls.

Diesel is actually expensive and price hovers b/w 100 and 140naira. But i believe that the price range will be nothing compared with the mileage a diesel engine will produce on a litre as against a petrol engine, having said that , there are truly also less diesel available cuz, no importer would want to ship in anything that will tie money down when he knows its like asking an Eskimo to buy ice,

Its also very common to have pretty much adultrated diesel than we have petrol.

diesel is far far slimy and greasier to work with. grin

Sienna, hmm do you really think its the mechanics? Cuz if I want to buy a car now, what most ppl look at is what the price of running it would be. Apart from that , most ppl really are not enlightened. I am very sure some ppl still dnt know that we have passenger cars that run on diesel!!! shocked shocked

Most ppl have this perception and associate heavy duty trucks with diesel and passenger cars with petrol!,

So for now, petrol is the prefered engine of choice in Naija.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 06, 2011
Oblo, point taken, as per cost of a litre of diesel vs petrol.

A diesel engine opens up a great deal more options though, in terms of alternative fuel. A diesel engine will run on a variety of oils, mainly Rapeseed oil, as well as used cooking oil / cooking fat and regular vegetable oil.

Now, how cheap is used cooking oil? Read "cheap" as "free"!
wink
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by oblo(m): 8:33pm On Mar 06, 2011
In naija, alternative fuel? hmmm well its very feasible, but not in the nearest future , well except a big miracle happens!! shocked shocked shocked For now naija is not thinkin about that cuz to us we still have massive reserves of crude and no one ever thinks that it will be exhausted in their life time!!! For now, ororo(cookong oil) is best used in frying akara!!(bean cake) grin grin grin grin , jesssaying!
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Poj1(m): 8:52pm On Mar 06, 2011
I think the major issue here is that of cost and availablity of diesel. I use to have a very reliable and fuel efficient diesel generator 10years ago but had to abandone it for petrol type when diesel became expensive and not readily available. Imagine driving on reseave tank and looking around for a filling station that have stock. If diesel had been as "readily available" as petrol I believe Nigerians would have strongly considered diesel engine cars and the mechanics  would have no other option than to brush up their knowledge and get used to the diesel engine cars.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 06, 2011
oblo:

In naija, alternative fuel? hmmm well its very feasible, but not in the nearest future , well except a big miracle happens!!  shocked shocked shocked  For now naija is not thinkin about that cuz to us we still have massive reserves of crude and no one ever thinks that it will be exhausted in their life time!!! For now, ororo(cookong oil) is best used in frying akara!!(bean cake) grin grin grin grin , jesssaying!

Ah yes, but I'm referring to used cooking oil - I'm sure even in Nigeria, cooking oil has a shelf life, and there are only so many times the left over oil will be returned to a bottle / can. Akara's good, but not if it's black from dead oil. Nasty for cooking, but ideal for running a diesel engine.

Yes, Nigeria has large reserves of crude oil, but how available is fuel? Bearing in mind, diesel is meant to be cheaper than petrol - the refining process diesel goes through is nowhere near as extensive as the process used to refine petrol. It's thinking about crude oil as being inexhaustible, that is the root cause of most of the crisis in terms of fuel in Nigeria. Everyone wants the oil to be brought to them on a plate, and few are willing to try an alternative. There are palm kernel, which give useful oil, which can be home blended as alternative fuel for a diesel engine. . .

So, maybe Nigerians need to expand their scope, and think outside the box, look at the bigger picture.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by bily(m): 9:42pm On Mar 06, 2011
cost of diesel and its availability is a strong arguement, but i also believe it has a lot to do with the mechanics.
back in the dayz when my dad had a benz 200 diesel engine, d major problem was alwayz with the injection punp. back then there was virtually no way of testing and calibrating it. but i thoght things would have changed by now cos we hav a lot of petrol engine using fuel injection system.
or maybe the injection system of a petrol engine is not as sensitive as dat of diesel engine, Sienna should pls educate us.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 06, 2011
P.oj:

I think the major issue here is that of cost and availablity of diesel. I use to have a very reliable and fuel efficient diesel generator 10years ago but had to abandone it for petrol type when diesel became expensive and not readily available. Imagine driving on reseave tank and looking around for a filling station that have stock. If diesel had been as "readily available" as petrol I believe Nigerians would have strongly considered diesel engine cars and the mechanics  would have no other option than to brush up their knowledge and get used to the diesel engine cars. 

I could procure alternative fuels to run a diesel engine. Diesel fuel could be made readily available. The price of diesel could be lowered, to mirror the cost of petrol.

It'll still be a pointless exercise, if Nigerian mechanics do their best to dissuade prospective buyers of diesel-engined cars from buying them. As I posted above, a diesel engine requires less maintenance than a petrol one, and it's pretty easy for the average user to get to grips with. If one has to rely on a mechanic 100%, they'll be stuck, be it a petrol or diesel engine. When diesel was a lot cheaper, circa 1995, petrol was still the fuel of choice in Nigeria.

Out of interest, how does market produce, department store stock, fuel etc get delivered? Because, I doubt an 18-wheeler rig runs on petrol. The average family in Nigeria runs more than one car, one could well be a diesel, that way you're not 100% reliant on diesel, if the price and avavailabilitys an issue. The better mpg achieved with a diesel engine will surely offset the cost premium over petrol, especially if you do a lot of travelling between states or cities. The lower maintenance costs too will help.

I ran a 2001 Audi A6 2,5 TDI for 2 years, and seldom ran it on regular diesel. I used to collect used cooking oil from bakeries, fast-food joints in 25-litre drums, strain it, and use it in my car. Sometimes, I would blend 7 litres of diesel with 35 litres of used cooking fat. Lovely and free!
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 06, 2011
bily:

cost of diesel and its availability is a strong arguement, but i also believe it has a lot to do with the mechanics.

My point exactly.

bily:

d major problem was alwayz with the injection punp. back then there was virtually no way of testing and calibrating it. but i thoght things would have changed by now cos we hav a lot of petrol engine using fuel injection system.
or maybe the injection system of a petrol engine is not as sensitive as dat of diesel engine, Sienna should pls educate us.

Diesel injection pumps are more reliable than petrol pumps in petrol fuel-injected vehicles. The diesel pump has an easier life than an electric petrol pump, diesel is self-lubricating, petrol isn't. What ruins a diesel injection pump, is bad maintenance. As I stated in my earlier post, the diesel filter needs to be drained, every 5,000 - 7,000 of water, which accumulates in the filter bowl / housing. Too much water, and the diesel is broken down, and becomes less of a lubricant, more of an emulsion. This will wear out the diesel injection pump shaft.

Petrol pumps on the other hand, are more prone to failure, cheaper to replace than a diesel injection unit, but you'll most likely go through 4 petrol pumps for every one diesel unit, suddenly, the diesel injection pump becomes cheaper.

Another thing - most modern diesel engines no longer run a belt-driven injector pump, they are mostly common-rail (CR) diesel, and use a similar in-tank electric fuel pump as a diesel one. These pumps cost less than that used by their petrol counterparts too. See? The cost of running a diesel-engined car is being driven down.
cool
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by holydante(m): 1:03pm On Mar 07, 2011
Given all the valuable learning curves you all pointed out here, i just want to point out that we bought 33,000 ltrs of diesel last week for our use @ N141, and reliable information has it that its heading to N15o.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Mar 07, 2011
holydante:

Given all the valuable learning curves you all pointed out here, i just want to point out that we bought 33,000 ltrs of diesel last week for our use @ N141, and reliable information has it that its heading to N15o.

Hmm. So, time for people to start running their diesel engines on home-brewn oils / alternative fuels.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by mount1ng(m): 1:37pm On Mar 07, 2011
Siena, thanks for this topic. Diesel engine will always outlived any petrol engine. The cost of price of diesel now is a temp thing. You should know that this price is determine by generator users. Once there is a drop by this section of users the price will go down.
Pls, can you determine usage of 1 liter of petrol/ kilometer to that of a diesel. This might solve some problems here
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^ Not easy to determine mpg / litre/km without knowing the car in question, with engine size, as these will affect the results.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by mount1ng(m): 2:03pm On Mar 07, 2011
Can we look 3.4L engine 14 passager bus? And saloon car 2.0L
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by norrisman: 2:14pm On Mar 07, 2011
For commercial cars, diesel makes sense because you get better MPG and more torque. It is however not true that it is cheaper to maintain diesel engined cars compared to petrol. It costs more in the UK to maintain a diesel car than a petrol car.

I personally prefer petrol cars even though I am aware of the better MPG you get with the diesels. I just hate that dreaded tractor rattle you get with diesel cars. Dont preach to me that the rattle isnt there on mordern cars. I was recently in W204 C200 CDI and the dealer had an AMG badge on the boot! lol. I could hear the tractor rattle from inside the car even though the car had warmed up (dealer was picking me up from the station) and the windows were up. If you do not do many miles per year, you may not actually reap any benfits by buying diesl plus you lose that refined sound you get from a petrol car. IIRC, on average a diesel car costs about £2500 pounds more than its petrol equivalent although some manufacturers are blurring the lines now and it is sometimes costs the same or cheaper to buy a diesel equivalent when buying brand new but rarely on the used car scene where diesel car always have a premium added as compared to their petrol equivalents. At the pump diesel also costs 5p more.

I drive about 8000 miles per year. It will take me approximately 6 years of driving my car to justify buying diesel over petrol.

Example

Miles per year: 8000.
MPG: 30mpg (petrol) and 40mpg (diesel)
Fuel costs (avg): £1.20 (petrol) and £1.25 (diesel)

It will cost £1450 a year in a petrol car and £1135 in a diesel car to do 8000 miles a year. That is a difference of £315/year. If the diesel car costs £2000 more than the petrol equivalent, it will take you approximately 6 years to justify spending that extra £2000. Dont forget, you get the tractor sound, some items like fuel pumps and Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) will often go wrong and you ultimately lose the refinement of a petrol car.

I understand your question is based on Nigeria but I only haver figures for the UK. Based on what people are saying about diesel being double the price of petrol, it makes absolutely no sense to go with diesel in Nigeria plus maintenance will probably cost more as there are few mechanics who can work on diesel cars and there is scarcity of diesel as well.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by otokx(m): 2:22pm On Mar 07, 2011
Diesel is now 142 naira a litre in Port Harcourt.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Wylout: 2:31pm On Mar 07, 2011
@ Sienna

You have good points in favour of a diesel engine over a petrol engine but i have just one question.

If you were staying in Nigeria would you use a car that runs on diesel or petrol?

If you would >>> please give reasons >>>

Note: Your answer should be based on Nigeria as it is TODAY
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 07, 2011
The actual refinary cost of diesel is not too far from that of petrol, but demand for diesel is higher due to varied use in marine transport, industrial power and then transport. Petrol is hardly used for other than vehicles.

The other truth is that over the years the high demand for petrol or gasoline meant that often refineries would split heavier and intermmidiate products to make lighter and less environmentally friendly gasoline. So Green sensitive European countries use tax to sway people to diesel. US does not thats why gasoline vehichles are more popular in US, but in some European countries gasoline tax is upto 80%.

In Nigeria, Diesel is not only highly demanded by manufactures and for power generators and heavy duty vehicles (due to our low power output), but it is also deregulated, thus follows market demand which is huge. Petrol or Gasoline is still subsidized by the Federal government and even though less MPG, it cheaper.

Also the use of diesel for cars is relatively new, about a decade old. Nigerians hardly drive new cars, we use Tokunbos. Most of our used vehichles come from US, so we follow their trend.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by babyboy3(m): 3:42pm On Mar 07, 2011
With diesel engine you could get away with using cooking oil, something any governemnt wouldnt encourage because they are still looking for ways to tax it, infact diesel could be mixed with so many chemicals and still work thats why any truck using diesel in the uk are been checked thoroughly when coming in from France or Belgium, I know of a Chinese fast food seller who on empties the oil he uses to fry food at the close of the day into his Land Rover Discovery after he filters it, Its because of the lack of Specialist in Nigeria thats why am not really keen to have one in 9ja!!!
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 07, 2011
I believe Norrisman  has closed this debate cool
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by biilwwu(m): 5:04pm On Mar 07, 2011
Petrol price per litre is #65
While
Diessel price per litre is#140
This has being one the reasons Nigerains preffer Petrol Engine.
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by igbogolo: 6:17pm On Mar 07, 2011
Siena,

diesel sells for N145! Thats N9860 to till my tank with 68 litres. For Petrol I would spend only N4420. Thats about N5000 difference a week (I fill every week), and about N18000 a month. I service every three months and my car, a honda accord 2004 model is VERY reliable! In Lagos its not about the distance travelled, its more about the time spent stationary on traffic with your AC at full blast. Diesel giving more miles per gallon may not be a very useful metric here.

Also, like someone mentioned, that ridiculous tractor sound and those black exhaust fumes itch me! Although I have driven an A8 diesel and I did not know until I asked the owner, ( it was very quiet). but then its an A8, you give me money for A8?

I also agree that there is a lot ob bias with mechanics for petrol cars over diesel, but one important thing after buying a car in naija is maintenance. If there is no after sales service that is cheap and convenient, bros forget am or else na tarpaulin you go use cover the vehicle after 6 months. After all they were trained on vehicles they are familiar with, abi you wan make mechanic use my new diesel car engine learn work?

So bros, diesel good i know especially if you are driving a 1.6 vauxhall on a £1200pm salary in UK, but here in naija, follow the trend.
PETROL RULES!
Re: What Is The Preferred Engine Type In Nigeria - Petrol Or Diesel, And Why? by segunjowo(m): 6:40pm On Mar 07, 2011
I couldnt agree less that you bro,
igbogolo:

Siena,

diesel sells for N145! Thats N9860 to till my tank with 68 litres. For Petrol I would spend only N4420. Thats about N5000 difference a week (I fill every week), and about N18000 a month. I service every three months and my car, a honda accord 2004 model is VERY reliable! In Lagos its not about the distance travelled, its more about the time spent stationary on traffic with your AC at full blast. Diesel giving more miles per gallon may not be a very useful metric here.

Also, like someone mentioned, that ridiculous tractor sound and those black exhaust fumes itch me! Although I have driven an A8 diesel and I did not know until I asked the owner, ( it was very quiet). but then its an A8, you give me money for A8?

I also agree that there is a lot ob bias with mechanics for petrol cars over diesel, but one important thing after buying a car in naija is maintenance. If there is no after sales service that is cheap and convenient, bros forget am or else na tarpaulin you go use cover the vehicle after 6 months. After all they were trained on vehicles they are familiar with, abi you wan make mechanic use my new diesel car engine learn work?

So bros, diesel good i know especially if you are driving a 1.6 vauxhall on a £1200pm salary in UK, but here in naija, follow the trend.
PETROL RULES!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Has Anyone Driven An Innoson??? / For The Bikers - When You Suddenly Realize You're Following Too Closely / Check Out This Ferrari Inspired Air Jordan XXXII

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.