Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,793 members, 7,798,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

Drawing In Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Drawing In Islam (3026 Views)

Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: / Ingredients Of Marital Love In Islam / Myth Of 72 Virgins In Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drawing In Islam by Cogent: 8:45pm On Mar 06, 2011
Please what is the stance on drawing of half completed human figures in Islam? I know that drawing the full, anatomically correct human figure is wrong but I am not sure of what is said about drawing maybe, a person from just the head to the waist, leaving out the legs.
Is such a thing allowed? I mean such uncompleted figure drawings.
Thank you for your help, may Allah continue to guide and protect you and plant your feet firmly in Islam.
Amin.
Re: Drawing In Islam by azharuddin: 2:26am On Mar 07, 2011
See Lagosboy's post below.
Re: Drawing In Islam by Cogent: 7:55am On Mar 07, 2011
Thank you.
Re: Drawing In Islam by ifyalways(f): 3:25pm On Mar 07, 2011
Hmmn
Never thought of this before. undecided
Re: Drawing In Islam by Lagosboy: 3:50pm On Mar 07, 2011
Let us be very careful in passing judgement and giving verdicts based on one hadith we find.

The issue of pictures have been dealt with by many scholars and time cannot permit me to write much here but the summary would be to explain that the word "image maker" is intepreted to mean 2 things by different scholars. The first is a statue and the other is normal drawings. All the scholars accept the prohibition of human/animal statutes and craft but when it comes to drawing there is a clear dinsitiction.

According to Maliki fiqh there is nothing wrong in drawing a human being or an animal but what is wrong making of statutes and the hadith was interpreted to mean that.

According to Hamabli fiqh drawing is not permitted and in the hanafi fiqh as well. The shafi fiqh i cannot remember as at now.

My humble opinion inclines to the Maliki fiqh on this issue as drawings are tools of education and drawings are used to communicate to kids and even adults in many speres of life. The good of education always overides many things in islam and a wider perspective should always be used to analyse rulings.

With regards to pictures most scholars of all the schools of thought permit normal photgraphic pictures except some scholars within the hanafi fiqh and some of the hambali fiqh who restrics it based on some hadiths.

And God knows best
Re: Drawing In Islam by Cogent: 7:46am On Mar 08, 2011
Thank you so much, may Allah reward you for the good work you do.
What about recreational drawing? Is it permissible when the image is not drawn with some vital parts?
Re: Drawing In Islam by ifyalways(f): 9:19am On Mar 08, 2011
@Azharuddin ,do u take pictures,portraits?
Salams.
Re: Drawing In Islam by azharuddin: 9:42am On Mar 08, 2011
Lagosboy:

Let us be very careful in passing judgement and giving verdicts based on one hadith we find.

The issue of pictures have been dealt with by many scholars and time cannot permit me to write much here but the summary would be to explain that the word "image maker" is intepreted to mean 2 things by different scholars. The first is a statue and the other is normal drawings. All the scholars accept the prohibition of human/animal statutes and craft but when it comes to drawing there is a clear dinsitiction.

According to Maliki fiqh there is nothing wrong in drawing a human being or an animal but what is wrong making of statutes and the hadith was interpreted to mean that.

According to Hamabli fiqh drawing is not permitted and in the hanafi fiqh as well. The shafi fiqh i cannot remember as at now.

My humble opinion inclines to the Maliki fiqh on this issue as drawings are tools of education and drawings are used to communicate to kids and even adults in many speres of life. The good of education always overides many things in islam and a wider perspective should always be used to analyse rulings.

With regards to pictures most scholars of all the schools of thought permit normal photgraphic pictures except some scholars within the hanafi fiqh and some of the hambali fiqh who restrics it based on some hadiths.

And God knows best

Very useful information. Jazakallahu Khairan bro.

ifyalways:

@Azharuddin ,do u take pictures,portraits?
Salams.

As in photographs, ? I have posed for photos. yes.
Re: Drawing In Islam by ifyalways(f): 11:14am On Mar 08, 2011
azharuddin:

Very useful information. Jazakallahu Khairan bro.

As in photographs, ? I have posed for photos. yes.
Ok.
Went back to ur first reply on this thread and was wondering If photos qualify as a drawing or anything that depicts animate beings undecided
Re: Drawing In Islam by azharuddin: 11:43am On Mar 08, 2011
ifyalways:

Ok.
Went back to your first reply on this thread and was wondering If photos qualify as a drawing or anything that depicts animate beings  undecided

I too wondered about it. Since i dont know anything about Fiqh (Islamic Jurisdiction) i am not supposed to form my own opinion.  Some Scholars say its permissible for Halal purpose such as identification (Passport, criminal records, ID cards etc).

@Ify
On a general note. Its better not to form an opinion based on a single or few Hadith. I m guilty of it in my first post. Rather follow what Fiqh scholars opinion about it. They are the experts.

The some minimum requirements to even start studying to Fiqh to become a  FAQIH (Jurist) are:
One should have memorized the Quran and over 100,000 ahadith. This includes the text, chain and the characteristics of the men/women in the isnad. Also he should be well versed with Arabic grammar & should know the purpose & situation in which each verse of quran reveled. Should also know the before & after time of 2 verse or 2 hadith if apparently seen contradicting on one similar issue. Also consensus of sahaba (razi) are given importance & also the fatwa of those Sahaba (razi) are given preference on others sahaba (razi) who had spend more time with Prophet (sawallalahu wa alayiwassallam)

So you can imagine how knowledgeable they will be after years of Fiqh studies. They are the only ones who can give valid opinions in religious matters.

Allah knows best.

EDIT: As mentioned by Lagosboy basic Fiqh is to be learned by all Muslims. The above mentioned requirements are for learning Fiqh formally to become a Jurist.
Re: Drawing In Islam by ifyalways(f): 12:57pm On Mar 08, 2011
^^Noted.Thank you.
Re: Drawing In Islam by Lagosboy: 1:49pm On Mar 08, 2011
Cogent:

Thank you so much, may Allah reward you for the good work you do.
What about recreational drawing? Is it permissible when the image is not drawn with some vital parts?

According to Maliki fiqh it will be permissible.

And God knows best
Re: Drawing In Islam by Lagosboy: 1:53pm On Mar 08, 2011
azharuddin:

I too wondered about it. Since i dont know anything about Fiqh (Islamic Jurisdiction) i am not supposed to form my own opinion. Some Scholars say its permissible for Halal purpose such as identification (Passport, criminal records, ID cards etc).

@Ify
On a general note. Its better not to form an opinion based on a single or few Hadith. I m guilty of it in my first post. Rather follow what Fiqh scholars opinion about it. They are the experts.

The some minimum requirements to even start studying Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence) are:
One should have memorized the Quran and over 100,000 ahadith. This includes the text, chain and the characteristics of the men/women in the isnad. Also he should be well versed with Arabic grammar & should know the purpose & situation in which each verse of quran reveled. Should also know the before & after time of 2 verse or 2 hadith if apparently seen contradicting on one similar issue. Also consensus of sahaba (razi) are given importance & also the fatwa of those Sahaba (razi) are given preference on others sahaba (razi) who had spend more time with Prophet (sawallalahu wa alayiwassallam)

So you can imagine how knowledgeable they will be after years of Fiqh studies. They are the only ones who can give valid opinions in religious matters.

Allah knows best.

Brother i am deeply sorry for this but i would like to make a minor correction, the requirements you stated are the min requirments that would qualify you to be a FAQIH (Jurist) and not min qualifiication to study Fiqh (jurispudence). Everyone should study fiqh and the min fiqh mandatory on muslims according to scholars are the fiqh of the 5 pillars of islam and islamic fiqh regarding whatever trade youare into.

If you are a businessman then you should understand some basic fiqh of trade in order for you not fall into error etc

And God knows best
Re: Drawing In Islam by azharuddin: 2:56pm On Mar 08, 2011
Jazakumullahu Khairan.
I actually meant the same thing as you said. But the original sentence was ambiguous.  I ve made it more specific as u mentioned. : )

Allah knows best.

(1) (Reply)

Tips And Points For Talking With Non-muslims (making Dawah) / Is Islam Racist? / Can All You Filthy Muslim Terrorists See Your Lives? 500dead And Counting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.