Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,956 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

My Greatest Regret In Politics – Jakande - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Greatest Regret In Politics – Jakande (659 Views)

Shoot Out At Jakande Lekki Lagos As Political Thugs Clash (photos) / A Nairalander's Comment In Politics Makes A Full Page Advert In The Guardian / Breaking news: Buhari's Action, My Greatest Regret In Politics - Lateef Jakande* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Greatest Regret In Politics – Jakande by Time2Think(f): 2:46am On Mar 07, 2011
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/my-greatest-regret-in-politics-jakande/

Lagos - A former Governor of Lagos State, Alhaji Lateef Jakande said in Lagos that his greatest regret in politics was the cancellation of the metroline project started by his administration in the 80s.

The metroline project was conceived as a means of mass movement of goods and services by rail within a thickly populated city such as Lagos metropolis, and Jakande was governor from 1979 to 1983 in Lagos State.

Jakande, who went down the memory lane in an interview said it would have helped to reduce the problem of traffic congestion in the metropolis.

“The greatest thing I regret in the politics of our country is the cancellation of the metroline project, I had foreseen that we would need a metroline.

“The land size of Lagos, compared with the potential growth of the people, made it imperative in my view to have a quicker means of transport to reduce vehicular traffic.”
The former governor said the project was cancelled by the military junta that truncated democratic government in 1983 and had made traffic problems in Lagos state, at present, a big issue.

Jakande, while commending Gov. Babatunde Fashola for embarking on the light rail project, advised him to expedite action in order to complete it as soon as possible.
Jakande also argued that the passage of the Freedom of Information, FoI, Bill by the National Assembly will strengthen journalism in the country

Jakande, an 81-year-old veteran journalist said: “The FoI Bill or law will strengthen the profession because it will give the journalists the backing they require to probe information, to acquire information and to publish it.”
Re: My Greatest Regret In Politics – Jakande by Time2Think(f): 2:47am On Mar 07, 2011
Na be the same Buhari kill the plans?
Re: My Greatest Regret In Politics – Jakande by Nobody: 3:00am On Mar 07, 2011
Jakande was the first 'action governor'. cool
Re: My Greatest Regret In Politics – Jakande by Time2Think(f): 3:03am On Mar 07, 2011
Imagine what Lagos would have been now without Buhari coming with his congo shining abracadabra.
Re: My Greatest Regret In Politics – Jakande by XueRengui: 3:22pm On Dec 20, 2014
Buhari again

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Election Mostly Peaceful Though Kids Vote / How Corps Members Were Forced To Rig Polls In Akwa Ibom / Libyan Invasion: War On African Empowerment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.