Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,951 members, 7,803,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil (13800 Views)

Buhari Defies Rain In Cross River, Shuns Helicopter / Jonathan Defies INEC- Deploys Presidential Jets For Campaigns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by krixik(m): 8:07am On Mar 07, 2011
South Africa Defies Nigeria on Nigerian Soil

Azuka Onwuka azuka.brand@augustconsulting.biz 0809-URBRAND

“South Africa is actually the giant of Africa,” says a woman named Bimbo Somolu in a TV commercial promoting South Africa tourist capacity. Nigerians are divided over the propriety of a Nigerian telling Nigerians to their faces that “South Africa is actually the giant of Africa.” To some, it is unpatriotic and a disservice to Nigeria. To others, it is just a professional job done in a commercial. There are still others who also think that there is some element of truth in that claim, given the progress South Africa has made since the end of Apartheid and the retrogression that has been the lot of Nigeria in recent years.
In the commercial, which is used by South Africa to encourage Nigerians to choose South Africa as their holiday destination rather than Europe or the Americas, a couple named Bimbo Somolu and Seun Somolu and identified as being based in Lagos, Nigeria, are shown eulogizing the beauty of South Africa. They are shown dancing with traditional Zulu people, watching wild life, participating in the World Cup, welcomed royally to a hotel, receiving a massage, etc. The lady says that South Africa is a beautiful country which can rival any country in everything, adding that “South Africa is actually the giant of Africa.” She laughs after making that statement, meaning that she realizes that by making that statement, she is taking away the name by which Nigeria is known and giving it to another country, thereby belittling her country in the process.
If Mrs Bimbo Somolu had said that South Africa is the best country in Africa, or the most beautiful or the most advanced, no Nigerian would question her. But every country is known with a moniker. The US is not the most religious country in the world but everyone knows it as “God’s Own Country.” Even Italy, on whose soil sits the Vatican City, does not contest the God’s-own-country tag with the US, neither does Israel or Saudi Arabia both of which have holy sites visited en masse all-year-round. Any day any country starts calling itself “the real God’s own country,” that country will be seen as trying to ridicule the US. Even American atheists and agnostics would protest.
South Africa was wise in choosing Nigerians to make that claim, knowing that Nigerians would find it more confrontational if said by South Africans. Since the claim was made by Nigerians, South Africa could claim that the statement was not made by it. But that would be like hiding behind a finger. An advert, like a movie, represents the wishes and views of the producers and not the models or actors.
Despite the existence of freedom of speech, I think the Nigerian government should get South Africa to remove that particular statement in that commercial. It is an understanding that should be reached behind the scene without any rancour. South Africa is the Rainbow Nation. Nigeria is not contesting that with it. South Africa can call itself anything, including the Giant of the World, but it should let Nigeria be with its Giant of Africa.
The truth is that if Mr and Mrs Somolu, as Chinese or North Koreans, were to take such a snide shot at their country, they would either be in exile now or in prison.
TRUE OR FALSE ?
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 07, 2011
lets call a spade a spade and not a silver spoon; Nigeria is not and does even come close to being the giant it formerly was. It is a slumbering infant.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Afam4eva(m): 8:48am On Mar 07, 2011
That's not the point. The point is that every country has a unique moniker. So south Africa referring to itself as the giant of africa is just asking for trouble. Imagine Enugu state callong itself the center of excellence when we already kno that that's lagos slogan.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 8:52am On Mar 07, 2011
the fact is most diasporan nigerians identify more with their country of residence and not nigeria.

many are nigerians only in name and by virtue of parentage and/or birthplace.

little more.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by LoveKing(m): 8:56am On Mar 07, 2011
afam4eva:

That's not the point. The point is that every country has a unique moniker. So south Africa referring to itself as the giant of africa is just asking for trouble. Imagine Enugu state callong itself the center of excellence when we already kno that that's lagos slogan.

this just makes me want to slap you turn turn.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by AjanleKoko: 9:02am On Mar 07, 2011
This topic again?
Nigerians sha and our petulance. Some years back it was 'Mama Na Boy!' from MTN, and the implied disregard of the girl child.
So Bimbo thinks SA is the giant of Africa? so what if she does, it is her opinion. We can't just be battling to hold a title we never actually earned, every country can decide to call itself the giant of Africa. SA can be the economic giant while we remain the population giant wink Tory finish grin
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by denitro(m): 9:37am On Mar 07, 2011
If Nigeria is the Giant of Africa, Nigeria should prove it.
But as we know, it can't be proved.
No steady power, no good roads etc.
Maybe in 10 years when things would have changed, then I will be able to support the poster.
But for now.
Bimbo is RIGHT
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by thetelz(m): 9:50am On Mar 07, 2011
True,lets call a spade a spade. If south africans say nigeria is fake,lets accept it and stop arguing cos its very true. Instead lets find a way of making it better
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by idnole4(m): 9:55am On Mar 07, 2011
Yes, Bimbo is right to voice her opinion. Shes right to say whatever she thinks SA is. Also, Nigeria as a nation can idealize itself as much as she likes. We can portray ourself the way we want, and let others see what we want them to see.  

However, there is no need for Nigerians to demonise Nigeria. Nigeria has it problems, agreed. SA too has a lot of internal problems, its the only country in the world where I have seen someone been robbed of phone and her money in broad day-light and people passing by and saying "ha ha this is not good" not to say it happend at J'bourg park station. It would never had happen in any popular bus station in Nigeria. IMAO
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by SegzyJoe(m): 12:47pm On Mar 07, 2011
@post
Though I didn't know this will become an issue on Nairaland, but everyday I listen to that advert on TV, I feel uneasy because I know pretty well that that piece of commercial is a deservice to Nigeria, and the most funny aspect is that Nigerians are involved to drive home the point.

I know many Tom, Dick and Harry on this forum do not know the implication of that TV commercial, so they may be pardon for not seeing that advert in its true colour but then those that should know will no doubt know that that commercial is an affront on our sensibilities.

There is a Youruba proverb that says" if you want a deaf man to hear an issue, all you need is to say it before/hearing of his children. Its quite unfortunate that she pick up that role, it is even more pathetic that all the censor organizations/ ministry of information did not see anything wrong in it. I bet it, no South African public will take such a commercial lightly coming from one of them against their country.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by texazzpete(m): 12:53pm On Mar 07, 2011
id-nole4:

However, there is no need for Nigerians to demonise Nigeria.

Please explain to us how the statement "south Africa is the giant of Africa" demonizes Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 07, 2011
Are many Nigerians not dumbb idiots? What's so surprising? So long as it's not to do with their own personal benefit (whereby they get smart), they are generally ignorant, stuppid people with inferiority complex. So it's no surprise SAs will find stuppid Nigerians with no sense of dignity to trash their country.

Nothing surprising at all.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by AjanleKoko: 1:28pm On Mar 07, 2011
texazzpete:

Please explain to us how the statement "south Africa is the giant of Africa" demonizes Nigeria.

Abi o. The poor woman didn't even mention the word 'Nigeria' once.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by idnole4(m): 1:54pm On Mar 07, 2011
I am saying Nigerians do not need to demonise Nigeria. I did not say Bimbo has done such by expressing her opinion about SA. So, like SA, Nigeria can portray herself whatever way she likes, and want people to see.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by RSA(m): 3:47pm On Mar 07, 2011
I think some Nigerians here takes themself way too seriously,I had to watch that commercial three time to hear the part where she said South Africa is the giant of Africa,for me it means nothing.

Next time a Nigerian in a South African commercial scream 'Omo shine your eyes this is Joburg',I bet most of you will be complaining that 'Omo must shine his eyes in Lagos' not South Africa,because everybody knows that Lagos is the only city that need shinning of eye'o.

Those who are complaining about the advert get a life,do something,fine things to complain about,this is nothing.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by redsun(m): 3:57pm On Mar 07, 2011
Nigeria is the giant of africa in population not in productive human resources and endeavours.The greatest joke of nigerians is that in that absulute miseries and gross moral decadence,they still think they worth something.

The taste of the pudding is in the eating peeps.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by MaziUche0(m): 4:00pm On Mar 07, 2011
These South Africans are something else. I may dislike Nigeria, but I wont allow this lady to disrespect Nigeria.  angry

The words that come out of the xenophobic South Africans about there fellow Africans is too much to bare.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by redsun(m): 4:05pm On Mar 07, 2011
We have to realize that we are in big shi-t as a country for us tobe able make a head.Fantasizing won't lead us anywhere.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by onyengbu: 4:31pm On Mar 07, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Abi o. The poor woman didn't even mention the word 'Nigeria' once.
That woman is no poor woman!

She knew exactly what she was doing. Didnt you hear the way she laughed after that statement.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by RSA(m): 4:33pm On Mar 07, 2011
MaziUche0:

These South Africans are something else. I may dislike Nigeria, but I wont allow this lady to disrespect Nigeria.  angry

The words that come out of the xenophobic South Africans about there fellow Africans is too much to bare.

My friend if you call South Africa xenophobic,what must we call you and your people of Jos?animals?
Stop complaining about South Africa and fix your .hole in Nigeria,this jealousy thing will kill you,you envy too much, grin
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^^^
RSA please understand Nigerians overbloated egos because of outdated achievements does not allow us to realize we are approaching complete blindness while pointing out the specs in others eyes. We don't even know how to take a challenge or constructive criticism. O well, I have my own personal plans so if the rest want to remain blind, no wahala.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by MaziUche0(m): 7:41pm On Mar 07, 2011
RSA:

My friend if you call South Africa xenophobic,what must we call you and your people of Jos?animals?
Stop complaining about South Africa and fix your .hole in Nigeria,this jealousy thing will kill you,you envy too much,  grin

Like I give a dammn about your AIDs infested country.

You South Africans do not even control your economy. The Boers still rule South Africa, and that is why they control your land. Before you talk about Nigeria, make sure you deal with those Boers and other settlers first.

The only reason why South Africa has a good infrastructure is not, because of you indigenous Africans who were placed in "homelands" or should I say slums like Soweto, it was because your European masters decided to stay in your country.

Do not get upset with us PROUD AFRICANS, because we all know South Africans suffer from an inferiority complex, because you all are/were ruled by whites for so long.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 7:58pm On Mar 07, 2011
MaziUche0:

Like I give a dammn about your AIDs infested country.

You South Africans do not even control your economy. The Boers still rule South Africa, and that is why they control your land. Before you talk about Nigeria, make sure you deal with those Boers and other settlers first.

The only reason why South Africa has a good infrastructure is not, because of you indigenous Africans who were placed in "homelands" or should I say slums like Soweto, it was because your European masters decided to stay in your country.

Do not get upset with us PROUD AFRICANS, because we all know South Africans suffer from an inferiority complex, because you all are/were ruled by whites for so long.

RSA you see what I mean? Specks and logs

1 Like

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by MaziUche0(m): 8:00pm On Mar 07, 2011
Stromae:

RSA you see what I mean? Specks and logs

Shut up you self-hating bastardo.

You let someone come into your own home and ridicule you?

Let me just defecate in your own dwelling since I know you wont do anything about it.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by otumfour(m): 8:19pm On Mar 07, 2011
Hahahahahaha! grin grin grin, ofcourse S.A runs Africa
cry all u want if u don' agree

1 Like

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 07, 2011
Stromae:

^^^^^
RSA please understand Nigerians overbloated egos because of outdated achievements does not allow us to realize we are approaching complete blindness while pointing out the specs in others eyes. We don't even know how to take a challenge or constructive criticism. O well, I have my own personal plans so if the rest want to remain blind, no wahala.

and can RSA or any south african here take a challenge or constructive criticism?

why dont you start a thread criticizing them and find out.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by thetelz(m): 12:42am On Mar 08, 2011
This is what i'm saying,you're calling south africa 'aids infested',how many people in Nigeria don't have aids? If they say,south africa is better,accept it cos it is in every way. The only problem they're having is their apartheid problem,or else they'd be long developed. Is it in economy,social amenities,schools etc that they aren't better than us? @for the person that said that they cannot steal phone in Nigeria,go to ajegunle and start flaunting your phone.come back and tell me what happens.lol.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by thetelz(m): 12:46am On Mar 08, 2011
Lets just accept our faults so we can move forward. Like the yoruba saying goes 'alasise lo n mo atunse ara e' meaning the defaulter knows how to correct himself or something like that sha
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by bashr4: 1:03am On Mar 08, 2011
why are southafricans murdering their fellows africans? giants indeed that crime infested country, pls am not hating i have been there and the living condition of the lower income citizens there is no different or even worse with that of nigeria.

the difference between RSA and nigeria is that nigeria high income earners are nigerians while that of RSA are non africans so i dont see how SA benefits its aborigenes.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Mobinga: 1:11am On Mar 08, 2011
Nigeria is dead. It is blasphemous to call Nigeria the giant of Africa. That is a disgrace to Africa.
South Africa deluges Nigeria in every aspect. Please this thread is torturing my soul. Please delete this thread

1 Like

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 1:47am On Mar 08, 2011
I dont care if Nigeria is truely the "giant of africa" or not, all I know is that couple sold out by going to proclaim such in a south african advert, where is thier patriotism gone? It's really not a good thing they did and it's only some one who is not wise that will say there's nothing wrong with that advert.     Guess they were only thinking about the money they were gonna be paid. Typical of NIgerians, they'd do anything for money. . . rubbish!
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by violent(m): 1:52am On Mar 08, 2011
Is there a documented right somewhere that makes Nigeria the giant of Africa?  

People should really get a life, try something else like weave a basket or go tap some wine, it's useless whining over issues that makes absolutely no sense.

It's my opinion that Zimbabwe is the giant of Africa, you don't like it? choke yourself!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Did Mungo Park Actually Discover River Niger? / Ize-Iyamu Campaigns For Jude Imagwe (Photos) / Buhari Fails To Award National Honours In Two Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.