Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,526 members, 7,801,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:34 PM

Is A Sin Just A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is A Sin Just A Sin? (1009 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Life Real, Or Just A Dream? What If This World Is Just An Illusion / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Sin Just A Sin? by huxley(m): 12:00pm On Mar 07, 2011
Does there exist the notion of proportionality in the Christian conceptualisation of sin? In other words, is there such a thing as a minor sin, a major sin, and medium sin? A grave sin? A not-so-grave sin?

Supposing someone intentionally and willfully murders a little toddler. And someone else murders one thousand toddlers.

Are they equally culpable to the same extent in the eyes of god? Or did the one who murder just one toddler commit a more grivous sin than the murderer of one thousand children?

Extend your argumentation to the case of Stalin and the Christian Crusade. Stalin is said to have murdered millions of people and the Crusades hundreds of thousands. Are these murderous acts of equal culpability in the eyes of god?
Re: Is A Sin Just A Sin? by newmi(m): 12:28pm On Mar 07, 2011
Sin is sin but there does exist a sin which Jesus Christ called "a sin against the Holy Spirit" which will not be forgiven. More details latter.
Re: Is A Sin Just A Sin? by yemisolar(m): 9:57pm On Mar 08, 2011
i am tempted to quote verses but i wont go into that. i would try to be as simple as possible.

the truth is that in the eyes of God the law is like a mirror or glass. whether you shoot a bullet through it or you throw a chair to it the result is the same- it breaks. that mans that if you drive 35km/h on a road that you should not do more that 30km/hr you are as guilty as someone who takes a gun and shoots a whole school.

it is only in the eyes of man and in our laws that we have grades in sin/offense. if you commit just one of the sins, you are guilty of all (jam2:10).

the difference with believers is that we have accepted Christ's payment for our sin (past present and future). the effect that sin has on the believers today is that it decreases our consciousness for God and it opens the believer up for demonic manipulations. a believer living in sin will not fulfill purpose and cannot live a victorious life.

also it needs to be said that it is not what people do that takes them to hell i:e how many sins they commit- that takes people to hell. it it what they do with Christ (whether they accept Him as their savior or not).

if it is according to what sins people commit or how "holy" they lived, a lot of hindus will make heaven before believers.

as for blasphemy against th Holy Spirit. is is a sin that cannot be forgiven. however for you to commit this sin you must be 1) a believer and 2) you must be mature (heb 6:1-4). most Christians are not qualified and therefore are not in danger of committing this sin.

coming to your question about Stalin. i have not read much about him. i only know that he was a German leader who did some petty bad things. but this one thing i know, if is in hell now, it is not because he killed those people but because he did not accept Christ.

i hope this helps but if you have any question you could mail me at pettral@yahoo.com
Re: Is A Sin Just A Sin? by Image123(m): 10:23am On Mar 09, 2011
Errrm, there are different levels/grades of sin o. God is not going to punish or reward everyone(sinners and saints) equally.
The thing there though is that any sin, big or small is enough to land one in hell and vice versa.
Re: Is A Sin Just A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Feb 01, 2023
huxley:
■ Does there exist the notion of proportionality in the Christian conceptualisation of sin? In other words, is there such a thing as a minor sin, a major sin, and medium sin? A grave sin? A not-so-grave sin?
■ Supposing someone intentionally and willfully murders a little toddler. And someone else murders one thousand toddlers. Are they equally culpable to the same extent in the eyes of god? Or did the one who murder just one toddler commit a more grivous sin than the murderer of one thousand children?
■ Extend your argumentation to the case of Stalin and the Christian Crusade. Stalin is said to have murdered millions of people and the Crusades hundreds of thousands. Are these murderous acts of equal culpability in the eyes of god?
1. Apart from the sin of blasphemous which is grievous — unto death — sin is sin. There are no minor, medium, or major sins. There is just sin — disobedience of God's direct teachings and commandments — transgression of God's Law and Truth. To understand why there is no need for characterization, one needs to understand clearly that sin simply refers to disobedience of a direct teaching or commandment from God — one has to be bound to God's Law to sin against God. The reason for the exception made for the sin of blasphemy is that it is not a sin against God but against the Holy Spirit. Other than that, all other sin committed by one is against God. undecided

2. Sin is sin. You have broken one commandment, you have broken them all, regardless of how many times you do this. So, yes, so long as such a one is born-again, such a one is bound to end up inside of the same place of eternal damnation. undecided

3. Jesus Christ no send anyone goes dey kill anyone else. So your Christian crusaders were in no way any different from Stalin and all the others murders out there. Yes, they were all murderers doing their own will with absolutely nothing to do with God or Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Is A Sin Just A Sin? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:06am On Feb 02, 2023
huxley:
Does there exist the notion of proportionality in the Christian conceptualisation of sin? In other words, is there such a thing as a minor sin, a major sin, and medium sin? A grave sin? A not-so-grave sin?

Yes! Criminal Law has already shown you.

There are minor offences called misdemeanours and medium offences called simple offences and major/capital offences called felonies.

And all of them have different weights of punishments.

But God has done something to ensure that anyone who is guilty, is very very guilty deserving of death. Ecclesiastes 5
8:11

Little drops of water floods a whole house.

(1) (Reply)

The Blueprint For Church Growth / Heavy Bleeding Stopped After Prayer With Tb Joshua / Why Does Christians Disturb Everyone With Blasting Music In The Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.