Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,067 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. (4912 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / How I Made Low Budget Goat Head Bitter Leaf Egusi Soup / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by Igboqueen: 7:56pm On Mar 07, 2011
Hello, I am in need of a spicy egusi soup recipe. you see I am half igbo and my father moved out state. I never new how to really cook nigerian food. the only thing I know how to cook is nigerian stew,dodo and okro soup with pounded yam. So please help me out. I miss the aroma and taste of it. I remember eating fufu with some type of soup. I didnt really know what type of soup I was eating all I know was it was my favorite food. And I loved white rice. We had rice all type of ways and if u have any other recipes please post them thank you .
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by agabaI23(m): 9:01pm On Mar 07, 2011
You need
Two cups of unground  egusi
Two or three fresh peppers
I kg of beef
200-800g of dry fish fillet or stock fish fillet
A fist full of bitter leaf processed
or 2 and half fist full of pumpkin leaf(Ugu)
You can use baby spinach(never used this)
Half cup of crayfish
1 cube of knorr (if you like)
salt
palm oil
Onions

1. Cut your beef into cubes of preferred size. Wash and put into suitable sized sauce pan.
2. Cut/grind the pepper and add to 1
3. slice half ball of medium-sized onion and add to 1
4. add a cube of knorr to 1
5. add half spoon of salt to1 . Adjust to taste.
5a. Add water to just cover the meat.Too much water will reduce the flavour from the boiled beaf. You can adjust the volume of water if the level reduces too much before the meat softens but I doubt unless you bought the beef from naija grin
6. Boil for 25-30 mins or until it softens. Moderate heat adds to the taste
7. While the meat is boiling, grind the egusi, grind the crayfish if you did not buy the ground one.
8. slice half of the remaining onion bulb
9. slice your Ugu or get your bitter leaf ready

10. when the meat is ready, place another dry saucepan on the burner (moderate heat)
11. Add a cooking spoonful of palm oil.
12. heat for 30-60 seconds
13. Add a little quarter spoon of salt
14. add sliced onions
15. heat for 1 minute
16. add the egusi and stir it for 2-4 minutes
17. Add the water from the meat you cooked slowly until it turns from pasty to fluid consitency
18. add crayfish, knorr cube(or maggi), add your washed dry fish
19 stir the mixture and do no leave the place. You could add a little amount of binder like ogbono at this point
20 allow it to steam for 8-10 minutes with stirring to avoid burning
21. Add bitter leaf or ugu
22. Allow to steam for another 4 minutes.
23. You could adjust the saltiness if you do not like the taste. be careful

Hey did I just write all these?
Hope this helps grin

1 Like

Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by Igboqueen: 11:04pm On Mar 07, 2011
Thank u smiley
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by agabaI23(m): 11:07pm On Mar 07, 2011
You welcome! let me know if you pull it off
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by koolchicco: 11:17pm On Mar 07, 2011
Power of copy and paste. tongue

Anyways It's serving its purpose. undecided
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by agabaI23(m): 11:30pm On Mar 07, 2011
Copy and paste you said?
I spent 3o minutes writing that.
That's more like a compliment to me.
Confirms my work is thorough.

You think say everybody is like you that cannot boil hot water grin
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by koolchicco: 12:09am On Mar 08, 2011
agabaI23:

Copy and paste you said?
I spent 3o minutes writing that.
That's more like a compliment to me.
Confirms my work is thorough.

You say everybody is like you that cannot boil hot water grin
Who no go, no no! grin cool
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by agabaI23(m): 12:17am On Mar 08, 2011
You dey hide am?
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by ifyalways(f): 12:43pm On Mar 08, 2011
Chief chef grin
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by agabaI23(m): 1:00pm On Mar 08, 2011
you can say that again
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by koolchicco: 12:05am On Mar 09, 2011
agabaI23:

you can say that again
Etoo Ogiri ona esi! angry
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by ifyalways(f): 11:22am On Mar 10, 2011
koolchicco:

Etoo Ogiri ona esi! angry
LOL.
Im hungry angry
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by koolchicco: 6:13pm On Mar 10, 2011
ifyalways:

LOL.
Im hungry angry

Place your order. . .on me! cheesy
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by Fhemmmy: 9:52pm On Mar 10, 2011
http://www.africanfoods.co.uk/egusi.html

Check that out
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by ifyalways(f): 10:12am On Mar 11, 2011
koolchicco:

Place your order. . .on me! cheesy
Okporoko a gworo with Ugba,enuff ose.
Washed down with mmai elu(up wine) cry

Fhemmmy:

Check that out

Fhemmmy,longest time.Na here u come hide urself . . . grin
Ogbono and Kpomo no go kill u sha.
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by agabaI23(m): 2:36pm On Mar 11, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Check that out

The recipe there is suicide. Using curry to boil meat and then use tomato to prepare egusi. . . . method varies but I wonder how it will taste.

Some of the comments there sounded like mine anyway grin
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by ifyalways(f): 3:01pm On Mar 11, 2011
agabaI23:

The recipe there is suicide. Using curry to boil meat and then use tomato to prepare egusi. . . . method varies but I wonder how it will taste.

Shattap angry
The only things i find awkward with that recipe is Thyme and Curry . . .well it could be stew-egusi tongue
I use tomatoes for my egusi.
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by koolchicco: 5:21pm On Mar 11, 2011
ifyalways:

Okporoko a gworo with Ugba,enuff ose.
Washed down with mmai elu(up wine)  cry

You forgot to drop addresi ulo gi for a speedy home delivery. angry

agabaI23:

What do u expect from onye ofe mmanu. . .? lipsrsealed grin
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by agabaI23(m): 7:08pm On Mar 11, 2011
koolchicco:

You forgot to drop addresi ulo gi for a speedy home delivery. angry

What do u expect from onye ofe mmanu. . .? lipsrsealed grin
Nna odikwa risky.
Re: I Need A Good Spicy Egusi Soup Recipe. by koolchicco: 8:48pm On Mar 11, 2011
agabaI23:

Nna odikwa risky.
undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

How To Prevent And Get Rid Of Grain Weevils. / What Can I Give My Nigerian Husband For His Lunch Box? / Frying Egg Inside Shovel (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.