Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,584 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? (3013 Views)

I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason / ... Was Sacked For Not Dancing To 'shake Body'... Now An Employer Of Labour / My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by 2dye4(m): 8:35am On Jun 25, 2007
How do you deal with/ditch a non-paying employer?

I got a friend who works in a private consulting firm on the Island as a business officer/strategist, with a nice pay package. He's currently in a fix as he has not been paid in the last 4 months despite several protests made . He incures a lot of cost in coming to and leaving work daily and yet cannot say the company ain't makin money as he sees cheques flying in everyday. with the current state of unemployment, do u think this job is worth holding on to especially as a first job experience? and what manner of slave-drivers are these who do not pay promptly but expect optimum efficiency from their workers? angry

1 Like

Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by DisGuy: 3:31pm On Jun 25, 2007
sue them? undecided

He should go to the HR department and ask if they have his bank account, they might have the wrong account in their system- that is me pretending the company are not doing it on purpose
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by 2dye4(m): 4:53pm On Jun 25, 2007
@dis guy:

not doing it on purpose? angry tellin u today, tomorrow then the day after? Haba, it's not fair @ all! let's not 4get that remuneration remains the highest motivational factor for taking up any job in this side of the world. why deny pple their pay after they've earned it?
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by DisGuy: 11:32pm On Jun 25, 2007
to be honest the best solution is to sue them for breach of contract! get some assets that adds up to the value of his owed wages sell it off grin

This country na wa o
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by Aproko(f): 11:15am On Jun 28, 2007
he should channel his frustration into getting another job or trying to start his own thing and take a walk when the company needs him the most.

Dis Guy:

to be honest the best solution is to sue them for breach of contract!

he hasn't been paid in 4months!! guess by now he has no more savings, where is he going to get the money to pay the lawyer?

Dis Guy:

This country na wa o

no be small thing oh
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by Seun(m): 11:19am On Jun 28, 2007
The company is probably in debt; I don't think any company would refuse to pay salaries for no reason. He should look for a way to 'borrow' some of their customers and make them his customers so he gets paid directly.
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by DisGuy: 11:25am On Jun 28, 2007
Aproko:

he should channel his frustration into getting another job or trying to start his own thing and take a walk when the company needs him the most.

he hasn't been paid in 4months!! guess by now he has no more savings, where is he going to get the money to pay the lawyer?
no be small thing oh

some lawyers operate on a no win no fee basis. so they pass their fee on to the offender if they win the case, they do this knowing the possibility of winning the case is about 90% . if tehy are not doing this in nigeria i think they should they'll make a lo of money by charging the offender, Win-win lawyer smiley
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by rowlandwhy: 11:49am On Jun 28, 2007
He should register with a job site and quietly search for another job.

Nairaland is also a good option for him

1 Like

Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by kenflipper(m): 12:16pm On Jun 28, 2007
He should bring in the nija FACTOR!!!, dont quit!!!, make ur contacts there, tell ur customers about ur ordeal may be they might help u wit another JOB. Remember its easier and and respectable to find another job while still working. Dont let. Also look around there are other ways to make money, maybe u are been too honest but ur employer dont reward honesty, GIVE him DITS 4 DATS.

[s] [/s]
the road is long and DANGEROUS
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by tonib(f): 1:28pm On Jun 28, 2007
well what happened to your friend is bad enough, but he shld not quit the job just yet until he gets another one. in some cases, the company would have told them that they will not be paid until after a period of time it happened to my friend to she was not paid until after 3 mths.
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by hbrednic: 1:28pm On Jun 28, 2007
have a one on one chart with the big boss, gently explain your problem and hear what he has to say.
if the coy is problems,leave without making enemies cos you might need them for refrence.( always break a relationship in the best way possible)
i will never advice u sueing  the company cos you stand a tiny chance of winning(naija factor,who do know?).
ur boss might be drinking chmpn in one of the country clubs with the chief judge,while they programme you on come today ,come 2mmorrow.
my brother after 10 or 20yrs, na you go tire.
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by Seun(m): 2:20pm On Jun 28, 2007
That makes sense. If they can't pay you, they should at least be able to give you a good review for the next job.
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by knotty(m): 2:29pm On Jun 28, 2007
i know of family man working in Lagos who got smoked at work because he delayed picking up his company mailbag from the airport.

but this man has not been paid his salaries for 13months.

he was ejected from his house by his landlord, his wife left him and relocated home. the man moved into a shanty along Ibafon. he was a thoroughly browbeaten man. but he held on, just like the rest of his coworkers, that tomorrow will be better.

well, the man was asked to go and not a dime has yet been paid to him. even till i am writing this.

there is so much happening in the business world which are just plain subhuman.
any court action counts for zilch with these companies. all that matter to them is their own well being, every one else can jolly smoke in hell.

it is pathetic.
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jun 28, 2007
been there, done that

lived spartan lifestyle while searching for another job.

if the company does not respect the staff enough to call them and explain exactly what is happening, DON't expect anything from them, be it good review(unless from an immediate supervisor) or arrears.if its a one man biz, the oga probably feels your guy should even be paying for the 'invaluable experience'

too many people running businesses in Nigeria do not have the character required to run a business. you may find that these hard times have in no way impacted on the management's lavish lifestyle(which is probably the cause of the problems in the first place!)

Bastards.
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by Caradona(f): 3:14pm On Jun 28, 2007
If I was your Friend, I'll start gathering evidence against his company
- first find out who is the most important customer of the firm.
no customer will like to deal with a firm who can't pay its employees. its bad for business
- Make copies of company's account balance. incase you need to sue or send to EFCC
- find out how many of the employees have been paid or unpaid
- your boss's home address and what was the last expensive thing he had bought in the last 4months,
evidence that he should had paid his employees instead of wasting it on stupid things
- his hobbies and does he have girlfriend besides his wife?( incase you need to blackmail him)
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by rowlandwhy: 3:32pm On Jun 28, 2007
Caradona:

f I was your Friend, I'll start gathering evidence against his company
- first find out who is the most important customer of the firm.
no customer will like to deal with a firm who can't pay its employees. its bad for business
- Make copies of company's account balance. incase you need to sue or send to EFCC
- find out how many of the employees have been paid or unpaid
- your boss's home address and what was the last expensive thing he had bought in the last 4months,
evidence that he should had paid his employees instead of wasting it on stupid things
- his hobbies and does he have girlfriend besides his wife?( incase you need to blackmail him)

sOME People are wicked ooo
Cant stop laughing grin grin cheesy
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by 2dye4(m): 6:11pm On Jun 28, 2007
@caradona: very funny! grin but its a good start u know. revenge is best served frozen! angry
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by DisGuy: 12:03am On Jun 29, 2007
These ogas are probably living the life, travelling for conference here and there

oyb:

too many people running businesses in Nigeria do not have the character required to run a business. you may find that these hard times have in no way impacted on the management's lavish lifestyle(which is probably the cause of the problems in the first place!)

Bastards.

I agree with you on that one, everyone shouting 'go start a business' without telling them to LEARN HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS!
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by amaikama(m): 11:23am On Jun 29, 2007
I really don't get it. is he the only one that has not been paid or the whole staff? if it's only him then there is something fishy going on. but if it's the whole staff, i think he should be looking for a new job soon. there is a tendency they may be laid off without pay.

please be wise and shine ur eye shocked
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by connkg(m): 2:50pm On Jun 29, 2007
Brother,

I haven't been paid for 3months(this is the third). It was not on my contract (I work for a contractor) that I was to be on probation. I've complained to the rich client (who parleys with my Oga). Short of picketting my Oga's car (his 6th - a cool Honda I-VTEC) I don't think "dialogue" would work.
This is what I'm doing:
     I'm running things so I can leave the country for my Masters'
     I've planned to leave the company by August at the latest
     I'm sending my CVs everywhere I can in the interim
     Since I'm into design, I design at home and try to sell, even online from the office
     I'm pestering anybody who gives me a daily schedule to buy me food because "I'm broke"
There's nothing else I can think of, except the certainty that I don't want to be here, and that here MUST turn out a stepping stone for MY future plans for myself![sub][/sub]I'm open to more practicable suggestions. I'm tired. I've tried.
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by Caradona(f): 7:39pm On Jun 29, 2007
conn-kg:

Brother,

I haven't been paid for 3months(this is the third). It was not on my contract (I work for a contractor) that I was to be on probation. I've complained to the rich client (who parleys with my Oga). Short of picketting my Oga's car (his 6th - a cool Honda I-VTEC) I don't think "dialogue" would work.
This is what I'm doing:
I'm running things so I can leave the country for my Masters'
I've planned to leave the company by August at the latest
I'm sending my CVs everywhere I can in the interim
Since I'm into design, I design at home and try to sell, even online from the office
I'm pestering anybody who gives me a daily schedule to buy me food because "I'm broke"
There's nothing else I can think of, except the certainty that I don't want to be here, and that here MUST turn out a stepping stone for MY future plans for myself![sub][/sub]I'm open to more practicable suggestions. I'm tired. I've tried.

If I were you, I will go to the police and file a complaint against your boss. and if all fails then you try this:
- Get a female to phone your boss and pretend to be a tax auditor.
- act like he is going to be audited and threaten to put him behind bars if she finds out that if any of the employee hasn't been paid. he will be put in the slammer (prison).
- also act like EFFC has been informed and make up a bogus law like,
that the company is under invegistation for the company act 102 sub-section 2, of unlawfully withholding payments of an employee. penalty is N1million and no possible parole

well, if all this fails. then your Boss is a bona fide SATAN
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by 2dye4(m): 4:17pm On Jun 30, 2007
@amaikama: he's not the only one but definitely all the "Ogas" are gettin paid.

@Caradona: u'd be amazed how insentive and arrogant some employers are, if devil see them, he go bow!
Re: How To Handle A Non-Paying Employer? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 02, 2007
If you work you should get paid for your services. If the Company is not in debt ( even if they indebted, they should inform their staff to give them options). It is not a privilege, it is a right , its your sweat, Nigerians need to learn to fight for their rights, even if you are looking for a new job, you should make efforts to get your entitlements, Write formally to the head of HR and if the outcome is not positive you should Sue. Some of my friends worked for a foreign Company and they were unjustly laid off and offered N40000 as compensation after working for 5 yrs. People adviced them to forget it and search for another job, i adviced him to sue, 8 of them initiated a joint suit, it was a long and tough legal battle but at the end were awarded N50,000,000 as damages by the court.
Laws exist to prevent exploitation of the weak by the strong, Nigerians learn to use Laws. It may be long and hard but its good to fight than just complain and do nothing

(1) (Reply)

Different Between University &polythecnic Mechanical Engr Student / Bidding For Jobs On Getafreelancer.com / My Advice For You As An Accountant!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.