Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,192 members, 7,780,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:26 PM

Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info (3703 Views)

Fashola Commissions Jebba Hydro Power Plant In Niger State (photos) / Fashola Commissions Peninsula Integrated Power Project. . PICS... / Fashola Commissions 100 New Air-Conditioned Buses At Oshodi - PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by EkoIle1: 3:12am On Mar 09, 2011
Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/Geographic Information System (GIS)

Press Releases

Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/Geographic Information System
FG, other States should copy Lagos - Says Prof. Nwilo

Mar 7, 2011 - Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola on Monday commissioned the State Geographic Information System (GIS) describing it as a defining moment in the transformation of the State and the continuation of her progress towards becoming Africa's model city.

The Governor who spoke at the Eko Hotels and Suites venue of the launch added that the GIS will transform the way many of the things in Lagos State are done.

Just as the Governor spoke, a member of the Advisory Committee on the project, Professor Peter Nwilo from the University of Lagos, in his goodwill message with theme "GIS and the Revolution for Practitioners", urged the Federal Government and the other States to emulate what the Lagos State Government has done because digital mapping is going to change the way government works.

He asserted that no State can be effectively developed without being mapped just as States that are mapped are the most developed as the predominant part of human endeavours are location based.

He said in addition, it is only through digital mapping that the waterways can be developed which is virtually impossible without data.

Said he: "In Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN), we see a new hope for Nigeria. He has demonstrated ability and capability to lead Lagos and has shown the capability to make a change in Lagos and Nigeria".

Professor Nwilo noted that during the tender process, the Governor was not bothered about who got the contract after the advisory committee had submitted its report, but was only interested in getting results.

In enumerating the values being added by the Digital Mapping System, Governor Fashola declared: "What we have today enables us to see from our offices, every building in Lagos and every piece of land, without going to personally visit the site. It allows us to determine the exact size of every piece of land, its precise boundaries and its topography from a desk in our offices".

The Governor further explained that with Digital Mapping, documents can be produced and plans printed in quicker time, while citizens can obtain maps of landed property online and pay by electronic means without visiting Alausa.

Governor Fashola said it will amount to huge savings in the time it takes to transact land businesses with Government and also reduce the traffic on Lagos roads since those who drive to Alausa for land information can now do this from their offices or residence.

"The integration of this infrastructure with the Electronic Data Management System (EDMS) means that more accurate information about land that will assist in determining ownership, designing roads, bridges, drainages and buildings of any type can be obtained without visiting the land itself", Governor Fashola elaborated.

Continuing, the Governor also explained that the system comes with additional values even for commuters and transporters.

"The Lagos Navigation System that helps commuters find streets and locations around our State from their computers or in their vehicles is now delivered with this project. We are also able to plan better the location of utilities for power, water supply, waste management facilities and so much more".

Governor Fashola recalled that during his campaigns in 2007, one of the promises he made was about the efficient management of the land assets of Lagos as the key to further prosperity while using the best technology available to manage land and plan the growth of the State.

He expressed delight that he has fulfilled the promise by undertaking and delivering for Lagos the most comprehensive geographic information system ever undertaken in the country.

"What we deliver today is perhaps the most life changing infrastructure that Lagos has embarked upon", he noted

The Lagos State helmsman explained that the project like every other one embarked upon by the administration has created work for diverse persons of different ages and professional groups like Professors, land surveyors, pilots, boatmen and young persons who acted as enumerators during the project.

He disclosed that many more would have been employed and will be employed as the full deployment and capabilities of the project are utilized, informing that a very significant portion of the project was done locally by Nigerians of diverse ethnic and linguistic backgrounds who put their enormous talents at the disposal of the State for a fair reward.

He disclosed that the GIS project took about three years to fly over every inch of the 3,755 square kilometers of Lagos to photograph every inch of land and building which have now been successfully captured.

"The photographs are accurate to a point of 11 millimeters. In the same time, we took data and barthymetric charts of the depth of every inch of water in the State in order to aid navigation and advice on dredging as well as strengthen the capacity for flood control", he added.

Governor Fashola said while this was going on, not less than 350 members of staff in different ministries and departments were undergoing several modules of training while installation of equipments was simultaneously going on.

He acknowledged the commitment of the Special Adviser to the Governor on GIS, Surveyor M.A. Durowoju, ministries and departments in Lands Bureau, Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development under the leadership of Tpl Francisco Abosede and Science and Technology Commissioner, Dr Obafemi Hamzat for his overall supervision and coordination of the assignment.

Earlier in his welcome address, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Lagos State Digital Mapping/Geographical Information System (GIS) project, Surveyor. M.A. Durowoju described the project as very spectacular because there is nowhere in the world where such a magnitude of a project has ever been done.

He said the project at a go produced aerial photos and Light Detector and Ranging (LIDAR) covering the whole state at 1:4000, digital maps covering the whole state at 1/5000 for urban areas and 1/1000 for rural areas, a composite GIS database of imagery, digital maps, bathymetry, data, geodetic data, transportation data and housing data.

Others include a Geodetic framework for primary and secondary controls in three dimensional mode, active GPS reference station otherwise called Continuous Operating Reference Station (CORS) with a GEOID for Lagos State, GIS applications to environmental control and monitoring , land registration and land management, a web based enterprise GIS for Lagos State and navigator system for Lagos State.

Giving a technical insight into the project, the Commissioner for Science and Technology, Dr Femi Hamzat said GIS allows people to view, understand, question, interprete and visualize data in many ways that review relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports and charts.

He explained that with GIS, one can map change to anticipate future needs, saying specifically that a Police Commissioner or Inspector General of Police might use GIS to study how crime pattern change from month to month and at different locations, to determine the deployment of officers.

Dr Hamzat also said when rain falls, with GIS it is possible to determine how it affects rivers and marsh lands which is possible by using location reference system such as longitude and latitude and perhaps elevation.

The Consultant on the project, Mr Zul Jiwani said he has never seen the type of commitment, enthusiasm and political will displayed by the Lagos State Government in the project.

He added that 100 percent of what the project entailed is geography which is very hard to touch and feel.

Mr Jiwani said the LAGIS will enable government and people resolve a lot of land tenure issues by using technology at very high speed.

He said with the successful deployment of GIS, the Government has fulfilled its promise to transform Lagos.

The event was attended by members of the State Executive Council, the members of the Organised Private Sector, the Diplomatic Corps and stakeholders in the survey and mapping industry.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by EkoIle1: 3:13am On Mar 09, 2011
Eko o ni baje lai lai
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by Kobojunkie: 3:58am On Mar 09, 2011
Lagos Adopts GIS
12 June 2009

http://allafrica.com/stories/200906120675.html

Lagos — The Lagos State Government yesterday reviewed the adopted digital mapping and comprehensive Geographic Information System (GIS) towards coordinating information storage system for geospatial data commonly used by many agencies.

The adoption of digital surveying and mapping, when it is finally completed, according to the Commissioner for Science and Technology, Dr. Kadiri Hamzat, will result in the establishment of Enterprise Geographic Information System capable of providing various developments across the state. Dr. Hamzat made the disclosure this Wednesday at the Lagos State Secretariat, Ikeja, during the second review of the project at a stakeholder's forum that attracted various professionals, public officers, government officials and traditional rulers.

The Commissioner said the use of GIS will revolutionalize the process of data acquisition, processing, storage, dissemination and use of GIS in digital format for planning and decision making. He added that the adoption of digital mapping and GIS will enable the state government to put in place a state geo-information policy, establishment of Lagos Enterprise CIS database backed by a policy which will certainly eliminate most of the problems being experienced by Geo-Information producers and users in the state.

Hamzat, who was supported by the contractor handling the project, noted that the day's presentation to stakeholders shows about 75 percent level of accomplishment across board on all the six components of the project.

He listed the components to include acquisition of digital aerial imageries and establishment of geodetic control, establishment of Geoids and Acute Global Positioning System (GPS) and Reference Station with Continuous Operating Reference Station (CORS)
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by ShangoThor(m): 4:46am On Mar 09, 2011
I absolutely applaud BRF for this one, he has started a revolution that will undoubtedly modernize the States economy via technology, and those of us in the biz understand that he is going to go down in history as the FIRST, the ARCHITECT that laid the blueprint.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by EkoIle1: 5:01am On Mar 09, 2011
With Fashola as the president of Nigeria, I'm 1000% convinced tha Naija go begin enjoy uninterrupted power supply before the end of this decade.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by Udevex: 5:19am On Mar 09, 2011
Eko Ile:

With Fashola as the president of Nigeria, I'm 1000% convinced tha Naija go begin enjoy uninterrupted power supply before the end of this decade.

Fashola is in a sectional party, there is hardly any way he can rule the country.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by EkoIle1: 5:30am On Mar 09, 2011
U de vex?:

Fashola is in a sectional party, there is hardly any way he can rule the country.

I do understand the need to utter such misguided nonsense, but never say never to anything.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by ShangoThor(m): 5:52am On Mar 09, 2011
Seriously, I can't be bothered to argue about this one, I'd rather spend the time adding to the success of my enterprises. The bottomline is that it is easy to make successful changes to any given scenario if you can make objective decisions in order to make and implement changes. That is why there will always be losers and winners and I refuse to be on the losing team.

It's time to build, time for newer ideas and solutions to problems, and for those without a clue to move aside, rather than hold millions back.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by ekubear1: 7:49am On Mar 09, 2011
Eko Ile:

+1.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by Iretia(m): 4:03pm On Aug 23, 2011
I have been following the Lagos GIS project with keen interest. I could not almost believe it when I heard that Fashola’s administration was considering a serious investment in GIS, it sounded almost too good to be true.

I have always held the view that every state government in Nigeria owes its citizens the duty of moving away from those methods that limit possibilities to more innovative methods.

You could then understand why I had this rueful smile on my face when I read in Vanguard newspaper http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/lagos-gets-n3-billion-digital-mapping-project/ that the project had been launched, I told myself –with this project , Fashola had undoubtedly placed Lagos State on the shoulders of giants above other states in Nigeria.

Geographic Information System (GIS) is one powerful tool that can help place the government in the driving seat when it comes to understanding issues affecting citizens. GIS allows the government to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports, and charts. Examples abound around the world about how developing countries like India, South Africa, Dubai, Singapore, China, etc have been able to transform their countries by using modern methodologies like location based technologies that produce results

Although I am excited I cannot help being concerned at the same time. I am particularly concerned about how this project would be deployed and managed so that it does not join the long list of failed GIS projects implemented in the past by Lagos state govt e.g. the PIE (Property Identification Exercise project)

There are so many private companies within Lagos State that would be interested in the map data from this project for their own operational use. Banks such as UBA are currently investing huge financial resources in geographic intelligence solutions. My company - Spatial Technologies Ltd (STL) recently completed a Business optimization solution powered by GIS for UBA PLC as part of a N9billion expansion project (see http://spatialtechnologiesltd.com/uba_selected_stl.html )
By making some aspects of the map data from the LAGIS available to the general public for a fee, private businesses like Banks, insurance companies, telecom, electricity companies, retailers and a host of other huge companies within the state will therefore benefit greatly from this project and could be encouraged to invest in it. GIS experts within the State would concentrate on deploying well-thought-out  GIS solutions for their clients in Nigeria and leave the complex task of map data gathering to the managers of LAGIS.

I believe that the project could turn into a huge commercial success when LAGIS supplies all the map data required by the private sector within the state.
The project would then be self sustaining, self-financing and could ultimately eliminate the need for the mangers of LAGIS approaching the govt in the future with cap in hand begging for more operational fund

The most important factor is to ensure that LAGIS outlives even the coming administration. This model had worked successfully for Ordnance Survey (OS) –UK mapping agency www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk. OS as a trade fund company is financially independent of the British govt. OS is run like a proper business with all the elements of a big successful company.

OS map database contains over 400million features updated very regularly. In addition to the usual technical experts producing the map data that the British govt and private companies depend on, OS also has several Sales and Marketing experts that engage with both govt agencies and private companies to further help them to leverage on what is now known as the most intelligent map data in the world.
OS makes over £110million (about N2.75Billion) annually from the sale of its map data products to both govt and private companies in UK. (Source: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/docs/annual-reports/ordnance-survey-annual-report-and-accounts-2009-10.pdf)
It is therefore not surprising to know that OS recently celebrated its 220 years of operation (see http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/news/2011/06/ordnance-survey-celebrates-220-years.html )

I have no doubt that the LAGIS will meet international standards in terms of positional accuracy and completeness judging by the calibre of map experts involved e.g. Prof Peter Nwilo who incidentally was my lecturer in Unilag, however the state govt needs to look at a wider picture here especially on how to turn this project into a lasting legacy that other future administration of the state can building on without re-inventing the wheel.
Entrusting this N3billion (£120million) baby to the Lagos State Lands Bureau (http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=moduledetail&mpid=22&mnusub=ministry&mnu=module) would be a great disaster!! It would simply go the way of previous failed GIS projects in Lagos State and we’ll be back at square one. The Lagos State Lands Bureau runs like a typical civil service with all the familiar red tapes, managed by civil servants who are used to depending on the govt for budgets and other operational funds. Getting them to manage LAGIS means they’ll be back for more budget in about 7years from now

I could not help but noticed that there is actually very little information on how the general public can have access to the data. What are the technical specifications of the data, how much will the data cost, how is it licensed and priced anyway? How often will it be updated? Is there a website where GIS experts within the state can go to get more technical information about LAGIS and its map products data, or do we have to depend on the press to provide this level of technical details?

By rushing to the press to announce that LAGIS is operational without giving definite answers to questions like these in a wider context is a sign that the project is already showing classic symptoms of failure. Is there anything we have learned from previous failed GIS projects. If the govt does not come up with the efective business use cases that will sell the project to the private sector, then I can predict that LAGIS will undergo a natural death in the next 4years or another administration will need to invest over N3billion again to start a fresh project.

One specific thing that the managers of the project can do to get the private sector to buy into it is to provide an online interactive access to the data allowing the public to play with the data, to evaluate the data and most importantly to appreciate the complexity modelled into the data. I am convinced that this will definitely excite the general public and will also give them that sense of belonging.
Again, it is important that this project runs as a profitable business entity –financially independent of the state govt. I am particularly interested in knowing the projected sales figure for LAGIS after year 1, or year 3 of operation. If nobody is thinking of this, then we have started on a wrong foot.

I am therefore suggesting that the state govt needs to invite world-class reputable business consulting companies like KPMG, Accenture, etc to advice the government on how to market the project and turn it to a huge commercial success.

Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by djustice: 7:45pm On Aug 23, 2011
I didn't see this back in March. But seeing it now, it is even more clear to me now that hired-guns like Eko(Iragbiji)-Ile are unrepentant liars, and will say just about anything to convince everyone that Fashola is the second coming of the Christ.

Has ANYONE ever heard of the Abuja GIS executed by Nasir El-Rufai while he was the Minister for the FCT

I said it before, and I will say it again. Anyone, ANYBODY, who is benefiting from Lagos State taxpayers' funds in order to sing the praises of those who are stealing us blind, will suffer 10,000 times the losses being suffered by Lagos State taxpayers who die because they cannot get medicare, who's children die in pit latrines when the government should provide toilets in their schools, who die avoidable deaths on the roads that the LASG, with all the huge IGR refuses to repair, or pretend to repair, and ALL the other deprivations suffered by Lagosians as a result of the wholesale theft of our commonwealth. May those individuals die horrid deaths. If they use the money to buy cars, may they crash in those cars. If they build houses with the money, may they never find peace in those homes. Ile ma gbona mo won lara ni!!! If they go on holiday, may they die of food poisoning there, as long as they are benefiting from stolen Lagos State funds, in Jesus Mighty Name. Amen.

Of course, if you're not, none of these above prayers will apply to you.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by djustice: 7:49pm On Aug 23, 2011
Now, interestingly, isn't Fashola's younger brother, Demola Fashola, benefiting directly from this project through his involvement in the Naija Navigator firm??
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by djustice: 7:57pm On Aug 23, 2011
See the greedy longer-throat governor shamelessly marketing the thing here at the launching, and even put the speech on his website. Kai!!! Nigerian officials and abuse of office. Hail Saint Fashola!!! cry cry cry
http://www.tundefashola.com/archives/news/2008/10/28/20081028N01A.html

Speeches

Public Presentation Of Naija Navigator

Oct 28, 2008 - I am delighted to be here today at the public presentation of Naija Navigator, an innovative Satellite technology for street navigation, by Toroseda Technology Consulting Nigeria Limited.

I find the presentation timely and apt at a period when the challenges of modern day governance require the cooperation and participation of stakeholders in the delivery of facilities and amenities to the people.

Modern day governance, particularly in urbanized setting is becoming more electronic by the passing of the day as advances in information technology grow geometrically in direct proportion to the pressing and challenges issues of social and economic development. I am pleased to note that the use of satellite Navigation will assist greatly in the traffic management efforts on our roads in Nigeria.

Probably one of the most technically challenging jobs in Nigeria today is traffic management. Why? Because road is the most developed and preferred means of transportation in the country. This makes road very vital to the economy and social well-being of our country and people with serious implication leading to stress and related health challenges, traffic snarls, man-hour loss and accidents. Available data has shown that among the three means of transportation, water, air and road, the latter indeed accounts for eighty percent (80%) of trade and movements in the country.

The introduction of Naija Navigator will be a welcome relief to the communities in both the commercial and private commuters. In fact the Lagos State government is particularly pleased that the state is the first beneficiary in the public presentation of the product just as it will in all, probably, present the highest vehicular density of 222 vehicles per Kilometre in the country.

Naija Navigator therefore will play a significant role in our desire for strategic road traffic management approach that is dynamic in conception and flexible in operation. For one, the product is user friendly and cost effective. Also, it is highly educative particularly in the area of providing information on the geography and social landscape of the city. More importantly, the Naija Navigator has a promotional value. Tourists and first time visitor to a location will find it handy and self-reassuring in the navigation of otherwise strange and unfamiliar terrains.

Once again, I want to congratulate the management of Toroseda Technology Consulting Limited for this thoughtful and innovation presentation. Your effort is a practical demonstration of private initiative which the Lagos State government has always identified with in the operation of its Public-Private Partnership Initiative through which the Private sector has participated and collaborated with in the implementation of social and economic infrastructure to enhance the people’s welfare. Our doors are open and we are for partnership on the platform of our PPP initiative.

I wish to use this occasion to assure all our partners and good people of Lagos that our goal is to use every initiative, every policy, and every project to deliver the dividends of democracy as we promised.

I congratulate the management of Toroseda technology Consulting on this noble initiative and wish you greater success in all your endeavour to add value to our economy and make life easier for our people.

I thank you all for listening.

“Eko O ni baje!”

Mr. Babatunde Fashola, SAN
Governor of Lagos State
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by djustice: 5:30pm On Sep 13, 2011
This is one of the ACN/Fashola critical threads that they hid. Fashola collected N65 billion in revenue in July. Is this what he used it for?
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by seanet02: 10:46pm On Sep 13, 2011
djustice:

This is one of the ACN/Fashola critical threads that they hid. Fashola collected N65 billion in revenue in July. Is this what he used it for?
N65 billion in a single month? Your surname may be 'A LIAR'
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by djustice: 11:12pm On Sep 13, 2011
Were your stupidity not so pathetic, it would be funny.

In information published in last week monday's Thisday by the federal ministry of finance, Lagos State was allocated at total of N13 billion. The LGs in Lagos State were allocated about N9 billion, according to that same table.

On Thursday, the same Thisday newspaper carried a press briefing by Akabueze, the Budget and Planning commissioner appointed by Tinubu to take care of his personal finances, where he said that the half year IGR figure achieved by LASG was N262 billion. The last time I checked, half a year was 6 months. If you divide N262b by 6 months, you get about N43 billion per month.

Now, Seane otu, if you add the N13 billion LASG Federal Allocation to the LG Federal Allocation, which is paid into a joint State/LG account controlled by the state government, you will get N22 billion. Now, add that to the N43 billion we got above, and you'll find that in the month of July, Fashola, who's rectum you obviously pay homage to daily, did in fact get N65 billion total revenue on behalf of LASG.

Your surname definitely is "thicko"!

seanet02:

N65 billion in a single month? Your surname may be 'A LIAR'
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by djustice: 6:41pm On Sep 18, 2011
Hello Seanet02 Thicko. Have you seen the above? What's your disjointed and uninformed response going to be now? Or you have left ACN and joined SLP (Siddon Look Party), because you can't find any information to refute what I've said above
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by EkoIle1: 7:06pm On Sep 18, 2011
djustice:

Were your stupidity not so pathetic, it would be funny.

In information published in last week monday's Thisday by the federal ministry of finance, Lagos State was allocated at total of N13 billion. The LGs in Lagos State were allocated about N9 billion, according to that same table.

On Thursday, the same Thisday newspaper carried a press briefing by Akabueze, the Budget and Planning commissioner appointed by Tinubu to take care of his personal finances, where he said that the half year IGR figure achieved by LASG was N262 billion. The last time I checked, half a year was 6 months. If you divide N262b by 6 months, you get about N43 billion per month.

Now, Seane otu, if you add the N13 billion LASG Federal Allocation to the LG Federal Allocation, which is paid into a joint State/LG account controlled by the state government, you will get N22 billion. Now, add that to the N43 billion we got above, and you'll find that in the month of July, Fashola, who's rectum you obviously pay homage to daily, did in fact get N65 billion total revenue on behalf of LASG.

Your surname definitely is "thicko"!

We paid minimun wage to motivate workers - Lagos govt •Denies claim its monthly IGR is N20bn

LAGOS State government said, on Wednesday, its resolve to pay the N18, 000 minimum wage recently prescribed by the Federal Government for Nigerian workers, is based on its belief that governance would be better enhanced with a well-motivated workforce.

The government statement, which was signed by Hakeem Bello, the Senior Special Assistant on media to the state governor, came on the heels of an advertorial by Oyo State government purporting that the Lagos State government has commenced payment of the new minimum wage because it “generates N20 billion internally every month. Therefore, its new wage bill of N5.5 billion is only 25 per cent of its monthly IGR”.

In a statement signed by chairman of Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS), Mr Tunde Fowler, the government declared, “Our resolve to pay the minimum wage with obvious limitations given the infrastructure and social needs of a state with huge population like Lagos, hinges on our believe that our ability to govern and serve our people can only be enhanced by a well-motivated workforce”.

Describing the advertorial’s reference to Lagos State IGR as “inaccurate”, the state government further stated, “For the records, the internally generated Revenue (IGR) of Lagos State is yet to reach N20 billion per month. It is, therefore, inaccurate to report that Lagos State IGR is N20 billion”.

According to the government, “The 36 states of the federation have different comparative advantages, hence the need to leverage on the unique opportunities that each state is blessed with; Lagos State is determined to empower its workforce. Hence, the payment of the minimum wage of N18,000”.

“This response is to clarify factual inaccuracies above Lagos State government’s internally generated revenue”, the statement said.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/23635--we-paid-minimun-wage-to-motivate-workers-lagos-govt-denies-claim-its-monthly-igr-is-n20bn

So in June, they were making less than 20 billion and all of a sudden the following month in July, they did abracadabra and made 43 billion.

Yours is just a sad case of inability to read and comprehend. Take your a.s.s back to elementary school.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by djustice: 8:29pm On Sep 18, 2011
Eko Ile:

We paid minimun wage to motivate workers - Lagos govt •Denies claim its monthly IGR is N20bn

So in June, they were making less than 20 billion and all of a sudden the following month in July, they did abracadabra and made 43 billion.

Yours is just a sad case of inability to read and comprehend. Take your a.s.s back to elementary school.

You will definitely die unsung and be buried in an unmarked grave, that is if dogs don't eat your corpse first. Idiiiiioooooottt! Now, read this link, which I've showed you at least three times now, but you keep pretending to have forgotten it, and tell me if your figure for June could, by any stretch of even YOUR faeces addled imagination, be accurate:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-targets-higher-igr-in-2012/96843/

By Obinna Chima

Lagos State Government said it would ensure that it sustains growth in its Internally General Revenues (IGR) in 2012 fiscal year.

Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Lagos State, Mr. Ben Akabueze, said this while presenting the state’s ‘2012 Fiscal Strategy,’ at a stakeholders’ forum at the weekend.

[size=16pt]The forum was aimed at promoting citizens’ participation in budget preparation as well as to highlight the goals and the half year performance of the 2011 Budget.

According to him, the state’s IGR stood at a total of N262.620 billion in the first half of the year, out of the total budget of N450.775 billion for the year.
[/size]
He added that the government will strengthen its revenue drive. Akabueze also said that the state plans to gradually diversify into areas such as tourism, Information Communication Technology (ICT), oil and gas among others.

“We had planned that by the half year 2011, we would borrow N39.5 billion, but we certainly did not borrow any money by that time. By half year, we still had some surplus fund and so we decided not to borrow. If you look at the budget performance for the half year, you will notice that the personal cost rose significantly to 111.3 per cent, due to increase in salary of the state workforce. The minimum wage increase has increased our minimum wage bill to over N2 billion a month.

“We intend to use the 2012 budget to deepen the goals of job creation, poverty eradication and wealth creation. We also intend to ensure sustained, accelerated, broad-based economic growth with emphasis on increasing investment outside the metropolitan area. The budget will also help to foster a robust enabling environment for investment in infrastructure through Public-Private Partnership (PPP),” the Commissioner said.

He listed the inner city roads; water supply project at
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by EkoIle1: 8:55pm On Sep 18, 2011
You are just too dumb for your own good. The head of the LIRS and in charge of collecting taxes said in june that the state is collecting less than 20 billion and you are still peddling what you are yet to read and comprehend.  You even yet to tell me why the same man you quoted said the total budget for the year is 450 billion if the state has 262 billion in july. Shouldn't the total budget for the year be be 262 x 2 = 524 billion instead of 450 billion.

Regarding the article below where the same man stated the state's IGR projection for the whole of 2011 at 228 billion in February, is it possible for the same man to say the state made and double the IGR 4 months later and half way through the year? You really are a born fool.

Lagos needs N7.5tn for infrastructure development - Commissioner

Mudiaga Affe

ThE Lagos State Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budgeting, Mr. Ben Akabueze, has said that the state will need not less than $50bn (N7.5tn) for the development of infrastructure in the next 10 years.

advertisement

Akabueze said this in Ikeja on Tuesday at an international press briefing on budget achievements and analysis of the 2011 budget.

The commissioner also gave a breakdown of the N450.77bn 2011 budget, which was signed into law on Monday by the Governor Babatunde Fashola.

Akabueze, in his analysis, spread the 10-year projected expenditure on infrastructure over six sectors: water development, $3bn; road and drainage, $20bn; power, $10bn; Information and Communication Technology $5bn; transportation, $9.3bn; water and sewage etc, $2.7bn.

This brings the total sum needed for the next decade to $50bn.

He explained that based on this estimate, the yearly budget of the state was about $2bn, adding that the government did not at anytime promised to deliver all roads in the state in a period of four years against media reports that potholes were now common features on some of the roads.

The commissioner said that the state opted to denominate the budget for the decade in United States dollars to counter inflationary trends and other sundry factors.

He said that the state's Internally Generated Revenue moved up by 74 per cent (N66bn) in 2007 to 85 per cent (N144bn) in 2010 with decreased dependency on federal revenue transfer from 41 per cent to 35 per cent.

According to him, the state's IGR stands at between N7bn and N15bn monthly.

He added that a total of N209bn was generated in 2010, while N228.52bn was budgeted as realisable IGR for 2011

Speaking on the success recorded by the state in its budget implementation, Akabueze attributed it to proper planning and adequate monitoring of projects in the state.

"The success of any budget is dependent on the preparation as well as monitoring of project, which is very pivotal for budget performance. If you don't monitor the projects, it will never happen," he added.

Responding to a question on whether the state's 2011 budget would accommodate the new N18, 000 minimum wage approved by the Federal Government, Akabueze said, "We will make our own based on our constitutional right as an employer to an employee.

"So the state government as the employer will determine what to pay them. It may be higher than what the FG is offering and it may also be lower. The N18, 000 minimum wage is not binding on all states, that is the way a federation should operate."

He, however, revealed that a wage review committee was set up to review the salary structure and recommend welfare package for public servants under the state's payroll. http://odili.net/news/source/2011/feb/2/809.html

You are either too dumb for your own good like I said or you're just a no talent comedian
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by djustice: 9:22pm On Sep 18, 2011
Now, pay attention, Iragbiji-Ile, and please, please, please, read my post properly this time, I know your brain is slow to comprehend concepts outside of your narrow spectrum of thought, but for once, just exert that solitary brain cell you have, and absorb what you will read, starting, , now:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-762807.0.html

Just persevere, make the effort, click the link above, and hopefully, some light will enter that dark space you call a brain. Ode.
Re: Fashola Commissions First Of Its Kind State Digital Mapping/geographic Info by Iretia(m): 11:17pm On Jan 11, 2012
In June 2011, the Lagos State Government made a profound statement based on the content of the LAGIS database that there were at least 1,194, 525 houses in Lagos. (see: http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/03/08/1-2-million-houses-in-lagos/)
For the first time in the history of Nigeria, a state government could say categorically how many houses were found within the state without any fear of a back lash from the so called experts.

This statement could easily be dismissed with the typical Lagosian impatience of “and so what”? However, for those that know, this announcement must be seen and celebrated as the most important and iconic declaration ever made by a state government since Nigerian Independence. For the first time, it is possible to plan adequately for infrastructures like schools, hospitals, roads, etc more efficiently and in a consistent way simply because the number of houses within the state can be determined spatially and accurately within a reliable level of confidence.

However during the official launch of the project in March 2011, very little was said about the data update strategy for the project to improve the data currency assurance going forward.

Is the data collection management of the Lagos State GIS project a one off-sprint or is there a strategy that defines the systematic methology for collecting data updates? E.g, when a new building springs up somewhere in Lagos today or a building collapses today (as they seem to be doing recently), how long does it take to register this update in the LAGIS database?
Will the LAGIS project still be reliable to give an accurate estimate of the total number of houses in Lagos 7years from now?

For the data to remain reliable and capable of supporting decision making process in the most consistent way, (for which reason it was set up), it must be updated and versioned very regularly. A definite data lifecycle strategy must be applied rigorously to make the project relevant 50years from now. The ISO 19100 series of standards for Geographic Information ([url]http://www.osdm.gov.au/Metadata/Standards/ISO%2019100%20Geographic%20Information%20Standards.pdf/?id=1066[/url]) could be very useful in defining this strategy.

-Ireti Ajala (http://lagosstreetmap..com)

(1) (Reply)

I’ll Redeem My Pledge Of Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers – Governor Orji Of Abia / Internatioal Conference Center,umuahia, Abia State . / Total Nigeria Completes Alaoji Power Station Gas Supply Pipe Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.