Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,509 members, 7,781,561 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:03 PM

How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help (4636 Views)

How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks / How Can I Succeed As A Female Elect Engr? / How Can I Succeed As A Marketer In Insurance Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by ufobabe(f): 5:22am On Mar 10, 2011
I need mind blowing ideas on how to improve my office & myself. I need friends working as secretaries. I need good materials to grow if any. Maybe, a link. Pls help me out. Thanks
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by AjanleKoko: 10:08am On Mar 10, 2011
You can meet up with other secretaries on Nairaland here.
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by ufobabe(f): 1:45pm On Mar 10, 2011
Are u one of them? Pls be serious, no joke cos my job is getting sour
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by AjanleKoko: 1:48pm On Mar 10, 2011
^^
Unfortunately I'm not.
But check out that link. It's a very lively discussion among secretaries and PAs.
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by sley4life(m): 12:48pm On Mar 11, 2011
don't attempt to sleep with ur boss. Cos most female secretaries like going 2 bed with their boss. Take note! U are warned
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by Ben13: 12:57pm On Mar 11, 2011
Use the link. . .
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by BabaEleko(m): 12:59pm On Mar 11, 2011
Shag ur oga. grin grin
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by Kristaz(m): 1:14pm On Mar 11, 2011
Well,improve ur computer knowledge skills,let ur boss rely on u on any computer work.Update ur clerical knowledge.read wide.be neat, polite.smart and pro-active.Above all,be prayerful and look unto GOD,U will surely make it,
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by agoshofin(m): 1:16pm On Mar 11, 2011
try tips on www.icsa.org.uk or www.icsan.org, check their resources and improve urself,

Dress formally bt decently attractive & speak good english, learn to listen & retain information in ur head, learn to scribble stuff on notepads very fast,
always ve a notepad with u if u ve to go & see ur boss in his office,
keep records well & know when & hw to tell a client off, don't reproach d clients dat make advances to you aggressively, just smile & with apology say no, if d pressure is much get a ring on ur finger, if them still no gree let a friend pose as ur fiancee or give such impression, (u may chose to rent me grin grin grin cool)
then be early to work &7 leave when u're supposed to leave,

U must know alot of Microsoft office applications & their usage, let ur presentations standout, (look 4 a place to take lessons flexibly (I can teach u $ free, bt may nt be so chanced, )

BoL
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by agoshofin(m): 1:17pm On Mar 11, 2011
try tips on www.icsa.org.uk or www.icsan.org, check their resources and improve urself,

Dress formally bt decently attractive & speak good english, learn to listen & retain information in ur head, learn to scribble stuff on notepads very fast,
always ve a notepad with u if u ve to go & see ur boss in his office,
keep records well & know when & hw to tell a client off, don't reproach d clients dat make advances to you aggressively, just smile & with apology say no, if d pressure is much get a ring on ur finger, if them still no gree let a friend pose as ur fiancee or give such impression, (u may chose to rent me grin grin grin cool)

U must know alot of Microsoft office applications & their usage, let ur presentations standout, (look 4 a place to take lessons flexibly (I can teach u 4 free, bt may nt be so chanced, )

BoL
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by Beync(f): 2:20pm On Mar 11, 2011
agoshofin:

Dress formally bt decently attractive & speak good english, learn to listen & retain information in your head, learn to scribble stuff on notepads very fast,
always ve a notepad with u if u ve to go & see your boss in his office,
keep records well & know when & hw to tell a client off, don't reproach d clients dat make advances to you aggressively, just smile & with apology say no, if d pressure is much get a ring on your finger, if them still no gree let a friend pose as your fiancee or give such impression, (u may chose to rent me grin grin grin cool)

U must know alot of Microsoft office applications & their usage, let your presentations standout, (look 4 a place to take lessons flexibly (I can teach u 4 free, bt may nt be so chanced, )

BoL
I hear u!
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by Ninapha(f): 2:30pm On Mar 11, 2011
I would hv said a lot of things to u here but the link already given to u is a master peice.  If there is anything specifically u wish to know( I mean sometimes there are peculiar situations which u may be facing that require special attention then, i can come in)  But if you want to succeed or get yourself to the highest level in Secretarialship you must master the ethics.  Confidentiality, good judgemental ability, proficiency, loyalty and unbiased concience. Resoucefulness, result oriented and intergrity, diplomacy and a whole lot of them.  You can also take some free courses online that could help you improve urself.  www.alisononline.com. do courses on Corporate management, Administration and secretarial.

wishing u all the best.
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by saintneo(m): 2:37pm On Mar 11, 2011
Can you make a difference? Can you bring about change? Can you challenge the status quo?

There are three types of administrative personels (EA, PA, SEC, etc): 1. opportunists, 2. pessimists 3. partners

Opportunists
The opportunists use their position to excel higher in the company, they use the connection they make to move higher in the organisation. However, bosses are not glad training someone that will leave their office for another. They are not idea generators.

Pessimists
They prefer to remain their position for life. Comfort is their ideal work zone. They are comfortable working with any boss.

Partners
They work with one boss, they are idea generators, they bring about change. However, they are best not being assistants; they have the capability to do better but they are caged with fancy rewards. They are ready to follow their bosses.

My advice for you is to follow the Pessimists trait if you wish to continue as secretary for life or combine the Opportunists and Partners traits to excel in the secretary job and to move on to other opportunities in life.
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by Ollybiz(f): 3:07pm On Mar 11, 2011
AjanleKoko:

You can meet up with other secretaries on Nairaland here.

i really enjoy every post on this link, at poster i will urge you to find time and read through all the post therein i bet you will smile after reading through the details ethic
wink wink wink
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by zignor(m): 3:26pm On Mar 11, 2011
one problem with secretaries is that they always gossip,keep secret,friend their bosses and marry late or never embarassed sad
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by OWOLAYEMO: 4:06pm On Mar 11, 2011
Simple advice, start screwing your boss ALL the time and your efficiency shall be greatly IMPROVED. grin grin cheesy
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by Ollybiz(f): 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2011
zignor:

one problem with secretaries is that they always gossip,keep secret,friend their bosses and marry late or never embarassed sad

you must be realistic, do ALL secretaries engage in all this?
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by kemisuga(f): 4:37pm On Mar 11, 2011
@ Zignor - u so funny.

So wat do u think make secretaries marry late or never?
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by marcus1234: 5:05pm On Mar 11, 2011
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by owobokiri(m): 6:31pm On Mar 11, 2011
Above all,be prayerful and look unto GOD,U will surely make it,

Why is it that Nigerians prefer to dramatize their "godliness" with every issue? Is god our slave? I mean, Even atheists make good secretaries! If there is a tsunami , before even discusing emergency measures, the first thing a Nigerian will tell you is to "pray to god". If he wants to buy a loaf of bread and cant find it, he will go to "pray to god". If he wants to rig an election, he will first go to church to "pray to god". These days, fellow contrymen go for "revivals" and "vigils" to "pray to god" so that a bullion van will explode on the highway giving them the oppurtuinity to loot with "gods grace". I dont understand this,

@Poster

Try the link suggested above, improve on your skills and be proactive with your duties. You will win.
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by pslng: 6:35pm On Mar 11, 2011
go get a professional certification
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by tunde247: 8:59pm On Mar 11, 2011
read more ,
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by tlops(m): 10:11pm On Mar 11, 2011
The lord is ur muscle.

lo.,l the link has it all
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by Princek12(m): 10:36pm On Mar 11, 2011
show your a-s-s-ets very well, if you have any.
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by ifyalways(f): 6:35pm On Mar 12, 2011
Princek12:

show your a-s-s-ets very well, if you have any.
How do u mean undecided
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by Princek12(m): 6:59pm On Mar 12, 2011
ifyalways:

How do u mean undecided

I mean exactly what I said. Use your ikebe power
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by favouredjb(f): 7:41pm On Mar 12, 2011
GO with the link and all the good advice u got
Re: How Can I Succeed As A Secretary? Pls Help by ufobabe(f): 4:28pm On Mar 14, 2011
My boss is a female & demanding.

(1) (Reply)

Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. / NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? / Human Anatomy And Physiology Students;Lets meet here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.