Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,621 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier (18353 Views)

Schooling Abroad: Is It Only Meant 4 D Rich? / Study Abroad Is The Only Way Through In Nigeria Now / Bsc In Nigeria Msc In Abroad Is It Ok (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Pharoh: 7:35pm On Mar 11, 2011
Nice thread.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by BABE3: 7:36pm On Mar 11, 2011
Is it me or wat? I believe studying abroad is way way way easier than studying in 9ja, U have everything you need here, "Google" is ur best friend, lol
The stress I went through in high school alone can't be compared with this child's play I've been doing since I got to college and I'm a medical student (well a wannabe, for now  grin), IF YOU KNOW YOU WHAT YOU ARE DOING SHAAA OO, i honestly think its super easy, ( plus, if you are NOT working, and all that), then ur good!
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by pongwa(m): 7:45pm On Mar 11, 2011
BABE!:

Is it me or wat? I believe studying abroad is way way way easier than studying in 9ja, U have everything you need here, "Google" is your best friend, lol
The stress I went through in high school alone can't be compared with this child's play I've been doing since I got to college and I'm a medical student (well a wannabe, for now grin), IF YOU KNOW YOU WHAT YOU ARE DOING SHAAA OO, i honestly think its super easy, ( plus, if you are NOT working, and all that), then your good!
abeg its just because y'all lazy dats why u belief so. i have a black american lecturer in my school and she uses the methods they employ oversea to take us, i dont see anything difficult in pop quizzes, in class assignment, reports , lab and so on, change ur attitude to work my guy or babe
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by buzugee(m): 7:47pm On Mar 11, 2011
dunno bout yall but i think schools in england and america are overrated. all the lecturers just read verbatim from the book. this is how they teach. like wtffffffff shocked shocked shocked i can stay at home and read the book by myself. why do i have to come to lecture for this ? shocked
yeah wayyyyy overrated.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by buzugee(m): 7:48pm On Mar 11, 2011
ahhhhhhhhhh another reason why american unis are easier ? its all A B C or D type questions grin
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by obailala(m): 7:49pm On Mar 11, 2011
BABE!:

Is it me or wat? I believe studying abroad is way way way easier than studying in 9ja, U have everything you need here, "Google" is your best friend, lol
The stress I went through in high school alone can't be compared with this child's play I've been doing since I got to college and I'm a medical student (well a wannabe, for now  grin),  IF YOU KNOW YOU WHAT YOU ARE DOING SHAAA OO, i honestly think its super easy, ( plus, if you are NOT working, and all that), then your good!

U might be right cos u are an undergrad. In my opinion, the undergrads have a more relaxed programme when compared to postgrads. Secondly, since u've not been through the Nigerian university system, u might not be in a good position to compare.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Xtfield(m): 7:57pm On Mar 11, 2011
When someone goes to school, whether in Nigeria or abroad, the purpose is to study, to learn. Schooling is not to be judged by how easy it is to graduate but how much the system allows a student to learn and be able to cope with post school life issues. When you study abroad, you learn a lot, most times through self-study and a little help from your lecturers. This is because the materials or resources for self study are available and because your lecturers want you to be better than they are at solving problems.

In Nigeria however, the reverse is the case. The resources are not there, the lecturers are mostly egoistic and unfriendly and most of them do not want you to be better than they are. Nigerian lecturers want students to treat them as kings and anyone that dare try to show he knows better than they do will be lucky to graduate.

Besides, we need to consider the cost of education in Nigeria and abroad. Nigerian students do not want to pay anything. The resulkt is that they do not have any commitment. Most Nigerian students possess cell phones that are more expensive than their one year tuition fees. They expect government to provide everything free. They frustrate University administrators who wish to run standard universities with aluta.  The situation is different overseas. Undergraduates pay heavily to get educated. So the universities are well maintained and the students are serious minded.
The truth is, we cannot eat our cake and have it. For those lucky enough to be able to afford overseas study, I advise you endure the pain and stress for the reward awaits you when the battle is overr and you return to 9ja and for those studying in Nigeria, remember that you are not studying for government, but yourself. Set your priorities right so you can graduate a better person than when you went into the university.

I rest my case
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by buzugee(m): 7:58pm On Mar 11, 2011
there are things i learned in boarding school in nigeria that i still remember today
1. oryza sativa, rice
2, ageratum conyzoides
3, eleucine indica
4, etc etc etc etc  of the top of my head  grin cramming does have its merits. some of those things are now part and parcel of my being.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by BABE3: 8:05pm On Mar 11, 2011
obailala:

U might be right cos u are an undergrad. In my opinion, the undergrads have a more relaxed programme when compared to postgrads. Secondly, since u've not been through the Nigerian university system, u might not be in a good position to compare.

I still believe its easier here (grad or no undergrad school) and (if you are just here to study and study alone!)

pongwa:

abeg its just because y'all lazy dats why u belief so. i have a black american lecturer in my school and she uses the methods they employ oversea to take us, i dont see anything difficult in pop quizzes, in class assignment, reports , lab and so on, change your attitude to work my guy or babe

Nigga, first of all I aint lazy, how do you know I'm lazy, do you even know me, ish!, my GPA is oRn point by the way. What do you mean by "change your attitude to work", because, I don't really understand where you are coming from, my current attitude is working for me,
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by ijawgirl: 8:55pm On Mar 11, 2011
Canada is not easy at all
Its  even more difficult than the United States
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by tunde247: 8:58pm On Mar 11, 2011
before we are still a developing country
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Elaineh: 9:39pm On Mar 11, 2011
@ijaw_girl: Talk true! shocked I bin wan ja reach that side o, na so e tough reach? How is it more difficult than USA? Explain biko nu,
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Feraz(m): 9:54pm On Mar 11, 2011
Nigerian students, where art thou? I don't know about overseas, but here in uniben, i know it's not easy for me. Most things being learnt here in Nigerian uni is by the student's self effort.
Concerning the tuition fees, it's not like people don't want to pay but in the end, the lecturers don't come to class (yet, they'll want to strike). You may see them a week to exams that's why i sometimes appreciate some Nigerian graduates who really worked for what they wanted and not going through the back door. Coupled with the mentality our leaders have about education, can you blame the Nigeria uni?
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by tlops(m): 10:05pm On Mar 11, 2011
I think both have there strength and weakeness, but its not easy to study abroad if you have to work along otherwise it could be fun!

The course contents are more intense and demanding than we have in Nigeria. In Nigeria assignment could be copied from classmates thats not an option. By the time I finished my first quarter of the academic year I realised that BSc thesis is not worth calling one- plagiarism at its best (but we did not know better). we have classes, labs, cases studies, report writing and examination all which contribute to ur final grade- if you miss one you are not getting your final grade even if it carries to point.

"In the Nigerian system, the average professor has an old-school attitude: he stands at the front of the class and says, 'This is the truth - swallow it. Studying outside Nigeria offers a more discussion-based approach teaching. Everyone's on first-name terms too, which makes it easier to establish an academic relationship with the professors". Its possible to meet you professor at friday after-work at the student pub.

The student life is also great outside Nigeria, party till infinity with no cult threats.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 10:11pm On Mar 11, 2011
tlops:

I think both have there strength and weakeness, but its not easy to study abroad if you have to work along otherwise it could be fun!

The course contents are more intense and demanding than we have in Nigeria. In Nigeria assignment could be copied from classmates thats not an option. By the time I finished my first quarter of the academic year I realised that BSc thesis is not worth calling one- plagiarism at its best (but we did not know better). we have classes, labs, cases studies, report writing and examination all which contribute to your final grade- if you miss one you are not getting your final grade even if it carries to point.

"In the Nigerian system, the average professor has an old-school attitude: he stands at the front of the class and says, 'This is the truth - swallow it. Studying outside Nigeria offers a more discussion-based approach teaching. Everyone's on first-name terms too, which makes it easier to establish an academic relationship with the professors". Its possible to meet you professor at friday after-work at the student pub.

The student life is also great outside Nigeria, party till infinity with no cult threats.

on point,
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Princek12(m): 10:14pm On Mar 11, 2011
I think that in abroad many, if not most, of the professors focus more on application; in Nigeria, on the other hand, many professors focus excessively on theory. I think application is harder than theory.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by lakode(m): 10:18pm On Mar 11, 2011
No comparing,  Studying in Nigeria is hardship, My reasons,

, Bad infrastructure(we study in Nigeria atimes with candle light)
, Abroad you can work and still run a full time degree  
, In some Schools abroad ,in Final year you can rewrite your exam as much as three times to pass( in Nigeria we call it carry over automatic extra year)
, Abroad the Professors have better respect and humility towards student , in Nigeria the Prof are damn Rude and arrogant
, In Nigeria a 4 years course can end as 7 years course(carry over plus ASU strike, Plus cult strike , etc)
, And it goes on and on

You cant compare, Nigeria study is HELL, real one , Postgraduate study in Nigeria  are easy tough but Undergrad(No go Area)
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2011
Princek12:

I think that in abroad many, if not most, of the professors focus more on application; in Nigeria, on the other hand, many professors focus excessively on theory. I think application is harder than theory.
to buttress ur point, in calculus III(for those of us in engineering @ ugrad level), we were taught 3D planes and many related stuffs.i took it for granted and postponed reading more about it till another day.Only for me to get to my programming class and discovered that without d extensive knowledge of 3D planes,which was taught a day earlier in calc 3,i won't b able to cope, all the classes r inter-related and lecturers r ever ready to put u thru in times of difficulty. they r not like 9ja lecturers dat needs sacrifice b4 they r available.  grin grin
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Princek12(m): 10:30pm On Mar 11, 2011
lakode:

No comparing,  Studying in Nigeria is hardship, My reasons,

, Bad infrastructure(we study in Nigeria atimes with candle light)
, Abroad you can work and still run a full time degree  
, In some Schools abroad ,in Final year you can rewrite your exam as much as three times to pass( in Nigeria we call it carry over automatic extra year)
, Abroad the Professors have better respect and humility towards student , in Nigeria the Prof are damn Rude and arrogant
, In Nigeria a 4 years course can end as 7 years course(carry over plus ASU strike, Plus cult strike , etc)
,  And it goes on and on

You cant compare, Nigeria study is HELL, real one , Postgraduate study in Nigeria  are easy tough but Undergrad(No go Area)

I think people should take note of the following: whether the poster meant that the subject matter of the courses studied abroad is harder than that studied in Nigeria; or whether the  circumstances under which one studies abroad, presumably studying with good infrastructure and without strikes, for example, makes it easier than studying in Nigeria?
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by DisGuy: 10:49pm On Mar 11, 2011
Seems some people are saying one of the reason quality is better is because of the fees?

do students have to pay higher fees in nigerian universities before Lecturers start respecting their students or changing their dictatorial style of teaching?

What does higher fees have to do with cleaning the university environment, some schools in Nigeria have dirty dustbin like environment! What does it take the VC/Lecturers etc to actually put a system in place? they all keep shouting 'underfunding'

When will professors start actually contributing to the economy? all the prof dr engineers in the universities should develop something!

What does it take for the VC/Lecturers etc to have a meeting with companies so they can update the curriculum to have real life impact when student leave uni

You don't really need money for these!!! its common sense.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Redman44(m): 11:08pm On Mar 11, 2011
@Dis Guy

God bless you for your post. You've spoken my mind. Cheers.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 11:12pm On Mar 11, 2011
Dis Guy:

Seems some people are saying one of the reason quality is better is because of the fees?

do students have to pay higher fees in nigerian universities before Lecturers start respecting their students or changing their dictatorial style of teaching?

What does higher fees have to do with cleaning the university environment, some schools in Nigeria have dirty dustbin like environment! What does it take the VC/Lecturers etc to actually put a system in place? they all keep shouting 'underfunding'

When will professors start actually contributing to the economy? all the prof dr engineers in the universities should develop something!

What does it take for the VC/Lecturers etc to have a meeting with companies so they can update the curriculum to have real life impact when student leave uni

You don't really need money for these!!! its common sense.
@ d bolded:what do u expect frm a VC who only cares about his pockets n bank accounts? school infrastructure is nvr on their mind.their children r here in US so they care less.this is wat u get from incompetent idiots who hv no regards for quality education.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by ijawgirl: 11:21pm On Mar 11, 2011
Elaineh:

@ijaw_girl: Talk true!  shocked I bin wan ja reach that side o, na so e tough reach? How is it more difficult than USA? Explain biko nu,

lots of assignments. .the standard is just way too high
Ordinary University of Ottawa that is not even one of the best universities in canada was compared to the almighty Harvard University USA
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by ijawgirl: 11:22pm On Mar 11, 2011
lakode:

,  And it goes on and on

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Ndipe(m): 11:30pm On Mar 11, 2011
Timely thread. Just grappling with the APA style for my reference list tells me that yankee studies is not as easy as it is painted back home. At the same time, it's easier, when you have loads of books at your disposal to do your assignment (instead of relying on lecture notes or worse, hand-outs or no text-books at all) and you also get the hands on experience on what you are studying. So, studying in yankee is easier than academics in Naija.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by ijawgirl: 11:38pm On Mar 11, 2011
lakode:

, And it goes on and on

ol in what country abroad? In Canada, you cant rewrite any exam,you fail, you fail. Wait till next year or semester to repeat the course

Canadians spend up to 8 or more just to get common undergraduate degree. .Its not only in Nigeria.

If your cumulative average is below 60% at the end of the year.You will be kicked out of school. They dont even care if your international
I know many Nigerians that have been kicked out of school here in Canada
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by ijawgirl: 11:44pm On Mar 11, 2011
you cant modify messages anymore?
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 11:45pm On Mar 11, 2011
ijaw_girl:

ol in what country abroad? In Canada, you cant rewrite any exam,you fail, you fail. Wait till next year or semester to repeat the course

Canadians spend up to 8 or more just to get common undergraduate degree. .Its not only in Nigeria.

If your cumulative average is below 60% at the end of the year.You will be kicked out of school. They dont even care if your international
same here in US, u cant fall below 60% and graduate lailai, u can nvr rewrite d exam dat same semester, u hv to rewrite it during the session dat it will be offered.not all senior level courses r offered in spring or fall so if u fail a course in fall n its only offered in fall,u wil hv to re-register n rewrite it d following fall. mind u here in US too,some pple spend 8semesters to get an ordinary associate  grin grin
ijaw_girl:

you cant modify messages anymore?
yes u can't ooo grin grin sorry too bad.mods pls do something wink
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by adanny01(m): 11:55pm On Mar 11, 2011
I think its more stressful to study in Niaja.
Doing proper justice to this debate involves alot. I want to buttress a few points.

1. Real stress studying abroad is for those who work. It is a bigger deal for any body in Naija who works to study in a Naija University.

2. The stress abroad is to prepare the student intellectually. Lectures are well planned, curriculum well arranged, libraries/labs well equipped, study environment and conditions are good and so on. One example, i did a cognate course of 1 credit unit in my department with other students and the lecturer from another department offering it as a 3 credit unit course. Course content/lecture time was 3cu but my department calculates it as 1. Simple undue stress for nothing. You will find students having lectures from 8am - 5pm with at most 1 hr break.

3. The stress depends on the qualifications and experience of  the lecturers. From my research more students pass courses taken my Professors than Graduate assistants. In Nigeria, professors send their graduate assistants to class to teach rubbish. I dont have time to tell you the implications.

Because PHCN has just failed me i cannot continue typing, by implication, students should also go and sleep even though they have to study or do their assignments - food for thought.

Studying abroad is a big privilege and easy.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by lakode(m): 12:14am On Mar 12, 2011
ijaw_girl:

So you guys don't rewrite exams, hmmm , maybe , I studied my masters in Europe and thats the norms in few schools , well I cant generalize , for me studying abroad is far easy and all my friends studying abroad also concur to this view, really it depends on individual , plus I will like you guys to check out some Dept in Nigeria Uni e.g Medicine in UI , or Geology IN OAU , Then you will see you cant also Generalize some Dept can be compared with any in the world

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU) - Admissions 2012/2013 / Factional Presidents Emerge In NANS / FG Sacks 12 Auchi Poly Randy Lecturers After Punch Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.