Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,776 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:19 PM

Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo (8374 Views)

Senator Akpan Bows To Greet Saraki (Photo) / As EFCC Goes After Daughter, Turai Yar’adua Runs To Obasanjo For Help / Okupe Reacts To Obasanjo’s Endorsement Of Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by LagosBoy1: 11:45pm On Mar 11, 2011
Gbenga Daniel bows to Obasanjo

Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji

March 11, 2011 09:14PM

The Ogun State governor, Gbenga Daniel, finally bowed to former president, Olusegun Obasanjo’s political supremacy, as he passionately begged for forgiveness and also admitted that Tunji Olurin is the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state for the forthcoming elections.

The meeting which took place at the Hilltop Private Residence of Mr Obasanjo in Abeokuta on Friday was facilitated by prominent lawyer, Afe Babalola, and lasted for over three hours. In attendance were: Adebutu Kensington, Kenny Martins, Olubara of Ibara, and Jacob Omolade (a traditional ruler), among others.

Speaking to newsmen after the meeting, Mr Daniel said, “Well in all things we have to give thanks to God. And I think what has happened today is a manifestation of work of God and I want to seize this opportunity to thank the elders and to also thank Baba for the opportunity of the meeting.” When asked if he begged the former president for forgiveness, the governor said “Let me say this, to you, I am a true Yoruba son, and in Yorubaland it doesn’t matter who is right or who is wrong. It is the younger that will beg the older person, so I have begged Baba and I will continue to beg him.” Mr Daniel, who also admitted that Mr Olurin is the authentic governorship candidate of the ruling PDP in the state added, “Of course, Olurin is the governorship candidate of PDP. I don’t have any doubt in my mind that we can work things out.

Re-uniting the party

“What we have started to do today is a manifestation of better things to come. As you have always been aware, it is true that a large number of our supporters feel disenchanted and I think even if we have to sit down and begin to find a lasting solution, that is what we have started today,” Mr Daniel stated.

“I have no doubt in my mind that we will talk to ourselves. PDP still remains a very strong and united party. And you know that there was never a time that I left. The people who left felt very aggrieved. And we are starting the process of reconciliation.” In his own reaction, Mr Obasanjo said he has forgiven Mr Daniel, adding “Well you know one thing, if you are a true Christian your prayer would be our father who hath in Heaven, and you will end up with forgive us our trespasses and those who trespass against us whether knowingly or unknowingly.” “Of course as long as I pray to God to forgive me my sins, I forgive people who sin against me, particularly those who ask for forgiveness. Then I ask God to deliver me from evil and deliver those who sin against me.” Similarly, arrowhead of the peace meeting, Mr Babalola, spoke with journalists and said, “We are happy to say we have settled the rift in PDP and it has been properly resolved today, and Governor Daniel will be at the airport tomorrow as PDP Governor with PDP members to receive His Excellency the President. We are happy that all problems are amicably resolved.” It is believed that the sudden turnaround on the part of the governor must have been fast-tracked by the planned visit of President, Goodluck Jonathan, to the state tomorrow, March 12, 2011 in continuation of his presidential campaign tour across the country.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5682737-146/story.csp

Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by yommyuk: 11:54pm On Mar 11, 2011
Kudos to OBJ cool
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Abagworo(m): 12:51am On Mar 12, 2011
Baba!Baba!Baba! You too much! Who wan try Baba?
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by AljUche: 1:22am On Mar 12, 2011
up OBJ grin grin grin grin grin

very powerful man indeed
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by IbroYaya: 1:32am On Mar 12, 2011
Baba Iyabo, u too much!!
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by EkoIle1: 1:37am On Mar 12, 2011
What a bunch of retards. And what's God got to do with their silly nonsense?
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Kilode1: 1:50am On Mar 12, 2011
~Reposting~

Daniel, who addressed journalists after a closed door meeting which lasted about two and a half hours, said that during the meeting he begged former President Obasanjo for forgiveness. He said: ‘[b]’We must give thanks to God. What has happened here today is a manifestation of the work of God.  [/b] I want to seize this opportunity to thank all the elders and also thank Baba for the opportunity of this meeting.

The "God" of the Nigerian politician is a very strange character indeed. . . SMH

Asked whether he begged Obasanjo during the closed door meeting, Daniel said: ‘’Let me say this to you, I am a true Yoruba son. In Yoruba land, it does not matter who is right or who is wrong, it is the young person that will beg the older person. So, I have begged Baba (Obasanjo) and I will continue to beg him”.

Wrong! That is a one-sided self-serving interpretation of culture undecided

Agba ti ko fo moni nikun ki i fo moni lori ~If an elder cannot feed you, he may not command you either~

Agba ti ko yani legbaa Ikoko, bo ba dase sile a ki i lo ~An elder who does not secretly lend one pennies, if he embarks on building, one does not show up to help~

Agba to bu ewe l'ewe Mbu   ~Elders earn respect only if they show respect ~

Agba to mo itiju ki i f'ole sere  ~An elder who is wary of disgrace will not play at stealing~  (that's for Elder Bode George cheesy )

Omode gbon agba gbon la fi da Ile Ife.  ~It takes the wisdom of both The Elder and the Youth to build a city~

There is no blanket permission for an elder to misbehave and still expect honor, deference, respect and reverence in Yoruba culture. Enough of the lies from these usurpers!

1 Like

Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by jumobi1(m): 2:06am On Mar 12, 2011
OBJ is the biggest boss that i've seen thus far
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by oncolor: 2:15am On Mar 12, 2011
Kilode?!:

~Reposting~

The "God" of the Nigerian politician is a very strange character indeed. . . SMH

Agba ti ko fo moni nikun ki i fo moni lori ~If an elder cannot feed you, he may not command you either~

Agba ti ko yani legbaa Ikoko, bo ba dase sile a ki i lo ~An elder who does not secretly lend one pennies, if he embarks on building, one does not show up to help~

Agba to mo itiju ki i f'ole sere  ~An elder who is wary of disgrace will not play at stealing~  (that's for Elder Bode George cheesy )

Omode gbon agba gbon la fi da Ile Ife.  ~It takes the wisdom of both The Elder and the Youth to build a city~

There is no blanket permission for an elder to misbehave and still expect honor, deference, respect and reverence in Yoruba culture. Enough of the lies from these usurpers!

Thank you very much for those wise quotes. We take too much rubbish from our leaders all in the name of elder, that is why it is difficult to curb all the atrocities committed on the Nigerian state by so called elders and elder statesmen
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by fstranger3(m): 2:20am On Mar 12, 2011
Kilode?!:

~Reposting~

I think OGD was right. No matter who was in the wrong, It is OGD who was bound from the start to seek OBJ's forgiveness. Whether the age is counted in years of political leadersip or years on earth, it is true that age alone does not make a leader. Though, we can certainly deduce that while age doesn’t guarantee wisdom, without age (years on earth) wisdom can’t be fully attained. This is why in Yoruba culture,money or years of political leadership can never outweigh years on earth, so it would be absurd to see someone as old as OBJ to dobale to/beg someone of OGD's caliber and timbre, regardless of who wronged whom.

Also of note though, is that years on earth and eldership does not guarantee character (or wisdom for that matter). The Odu Ogbe Iwori says:

Ishekushe l’ewe le she
Iwa ihukuhu ni ti agbalagba

Bad conduct is what is attributed to youth
Bad character is what is attributed to elders

And no one apologizes for bad character. You only apologize for bad conduct.

So yes, OGD's interpretation was spot on. On this, I think you are on your own.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:09am On Mar 12, 2011
OBJ is the most powerful politician in AFRICA!
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Nobody: 3:24am On Mar 12, 2011
Kilode?!:

~Reposting~

Exactly!!

I am tired of elders who do not respect themselves demanding respect. . . . mtchewww!
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Kilode1: 3:49am On Mar 12, 2011
fstranger3:

I think OGD was right. No matter who was in the wrong, It is OGD who was bound from the start to seek OBJ's forgiveness. Whether the age is counted in years of political leadersip or years on earth, it is true that age alone does not make a leader. Though, we can certainly deduce that while age doesn’t guarantee wisdom, without age (years on earth) wisdom can’t be fully attained. This is why in Yoruba culture,money or years of political leadership can never outweigh years on earth, so it would be absurd to see someone as old as OBJ to dobale to/beg someone of OGD's caliber and timbre, regardless of who wronged whom.

Also of note though, is that years on earth and eldership does not guarantee character (or wisdom for that matter). The Odu Ogbe Iwori says:

Ishekushe l’ewe le she
Iwa ihukuhu ni ti agbalagba

Bad conduct is what is attributed to youth
Bad character is what is attributed to elders

And no one apologizes for bad character. You only apologize for bad conduct.

So yes, OGD's interpretation was spot on. On this, I think you are on your own.

While you are right about the importance of age and the possible wisdom it confers, It is wrong to ascribe all wisdom to age or excuse bad behavior because of age. I'm glad you pointed that out at the end.

I couldn't care less about the issue they are fighting over, but I do care about the misuse of culture and the constant attempt at using Yoruba culture as a cover-up for misrule and misbehavior.

I'm standing in unison with the wise ancestors who wrote those proverbs by simply affirming that; old age does not give you the right to act with impunity and continue to expect respect.

It is Asilo Asa ati Ede (misuse of culture and language ) for OGD to tell us this;

I am a true Yoruba son. In Yoruba land, it does not matter who is right or who is wrong, it is the young person that will beg the older person

It matters who is right or wrong, age or political status does not give you the monopoly on right and wrong. You are not obligated to respect or beg an older person just because they are older.

I appreciate the message in the Odu you quoted, but it still does not support OGD's statement, We can agree to disagree on that

Àgbàlagbà kì í ṣe lágbalàgba. ~An elder should not behave in an unbecoming manner~  cool

BTW, an elder does not have to dobale (prostrate) to show he is sorry, as our elders will say;

Pele l'ako, o l'abo ~there are several ways to say you are sorry~ ona kan ko w'oja ~there are several routes to the market~
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by egift(m): 4:05am On Mar 12, 2011
I weep for Nigeria cry cry cry
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by larry2020: 4:06am On Mar 12, 2011
hmm, The fear of kirikiri is the begining of reconciliation,
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by yommyuk: 6:10am On Mar 12, 2011
Daniel should have known better.

“Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance.” cool
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by ekubear1: 6:17am On Mar 12, 2011
Damn. I didn't see this particular outcome.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by rasputinn(m): 6:22am On Mar 12, 2011
This is one very rare occasion when OGD has listened to the voice of reason and been reasonable.OBJ,you dey kampke
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by egift(m): 6:34am On Mar 12, 2011
rasputinn:

This is one very rare occasion when OGD has listened to the voice of reason and been reasonable.OBJ,you dey kampke

Praising thuggery and intimidation - Where are the masses in determining who becomes the next governor?
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:05am On Mar 12, 2011
what do you expect - the dude is not a baptised by fire rascal like tinubu
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:52am On Mar 12, 2011
And d conspiracy against d good people of Ogun state continues. Like we are practicing a kind of traditional system of goverment or tramocracy beter still. WHICH WAY NIGERIA? U wake up to hear or read one trash or d other from Nigeria the capital state of backwardness of the world. When will Nigerians be librated from the claws of these evil bunch who only think of themselves and keep maintaning the status quo whl d reasonable poor do weep others clap and attribute stupidity to wisdom and becloud rationality with culture and all attrocities commited are wished away and we pretend as if they nvr happend. We truely deserve d kind of leaders we ve in these country, imagine people are celebrating the reconciliation of these demonic fellows who ve held them captive for long. The more they are at peace with eachother, the more they inflict colabo pains on u guys. I SORRY FOR NIGERIA were every negative dvlpmt is condoned & celebrated.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by abopal: 9:03am On Mar 12, 2011
AFTER DECEIVING THE ENTIRE PDP MACHINERY IN OGUN TO PACK INTO ANOTHER PARTY!!!! O.G.D HAS BEING PLAYING G.O.D BUT NOW TURNED OUT TO BE D.O.G. IT IS FARRRRRRRRRRRRRR BETTER TO BOW BEFORE TINUBU THAN OBASANJO. WHILE TUBUBU IS STRICTLY A BUSINESS POLITICIAN, OBASANJO IS STRICTLY AN UNFORGIVING MILITICIAN.

SIAKA GBOYEGA OR WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS, AN ABIOLA DAUGHTER, FOLLOW SUIT. BOW FOR YOUR FORMER OPPONENTS AS YOUR LEADER HAS DONE.

come to think of it, heard it is cosmetic since G.E.J is coming to Ogun in some hours from now
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by abopal: 9:16am On Mar 12, 2011
byrron:

And d conspiracy against d good people of Ogun state continues. Like we are practicing a kind of traditional system of goverment or tramocracy beter still. WHICH WAY NIGERIA? U wake up to hear or read one trash or d other from Nigeria the capital state of backwardness of the world. When will Nigerians be librated from the claws of these evil bunch who only think of themselves and keep maintaning the status quo whl d reasonable poor do weep others clap and attribute stupidity to wisdom and becloud rationality with culture and all attrocities commited are wished away and we pretend as if they nvr happend. We truely deserve d kind of leaders we ve in these country, imagine people are celebrating the reconciliation of these demonic fellows who ve held them captive for long. The more they are at peace with eachother, the more they inflict colabo pains on u guys. I SORRY FOR NIGERIA were every negative dvlpmt is condoned & celebrated.

GBAMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Basics007: 9:19am On Mar 12, 2011
larry2020:

hmm, The fear of kirikiri is the begining of reconciliation,
this is so true. I wish he hadn't done it though. I need to see the cocky guy in jail.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by abopal: 9:25am On Mar 12, 2011
Ibro Yaya:

Baba Iyabo, u too much!!

Alj Uche:

up OBJ grin grin grin grin grin

very powerful man indeed

yommyuk:

Kudos to OBJ cool

SYCOPHANTS ARE YOU ALL!!! YOUR LIKE WILL NOT SEE GOD UNLESS YOU CHANGE YOUR WAYS. HOW CAN YOU ADORE OBASANJO- ,
I'm biginning to see why it will take Nigeria a long time to develop. If youths not 1, not 2 are praising OBJ simply because the old cargo he is trying to foist on the Ogun people seems to have an upper hand. They forgot how the Olurin man ripped Ekiti of the remainder of what Fayose looted.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by solihu(m): 9:42am On Mar 12, 2011
@ byrron excellent post!
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Epiphany(m): 10:04am On Mar 12, 2011
Daniel is just wasting his time and effort. If OBJ gets a chance to hang him, he will hang him. Obj does not forgive just like that. The man is vindictive.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by rasputinn(m): 12:57pm On Mar 12, 2011
egift:

Praising thuggery and intimidation - Where are the masses in determining who becomes the next governor?

Will you stop being paranoid??what are you even yapping on about??,instead of plunging himself into a journey to political siberia by remaining at loggerheads with OBJ(who incidentally made him governor in the first place),Gbenga Daniel has decided to do the reasonable thing by begging baba OBJ,where is the thuggery in his or baba's action.
I would've overlooked your out of point post and prolly taken it that you missed your thread,but for the fact that you inserted my post,so next time try and understand yourself before you enter the public domain
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by rasputinn(m): 12:59pm On Mar 12, 2011
Kilode?!:

~Reposting~

grin grin grin
So is it the work of the devil then??
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by tomzman: 2:24pm On Mar 12, 2011
whether Daniel begs or not, 1 thing is sure,pdp is gonna loooooooooooooose this time around in Ogun State.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 12, 2011
Whether he begs or not,he must go to jail.what about the corruption,the future of ogun state he mortgaged and the death of dipo dina ?
Re: Gbenga Daniel Begs For Forgiveness & Bows To Obasanjo by juman(m): 4:27pm On Mar 12, 2011
ACN is the answer.

Vote ACN in coming election.

ACN forever.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chadians Among Kano Attackers, Police Say / World Bank Presidency: Who Takes The Day Okonjo Or Kim? / Nigerian Air Force Begin Taking Delivery Of State-of-the-art Mi35m Helicopters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.