Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,204 members, 7,807,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (3174 Views)

Difference Btwn Bringing Up A Child In Nigeria And In Abroad. / 4 Kids But Her 3rd Child Is Not For Her Husband... / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Nobody: 10:43pm On Mar 12, 2011
Hi house.

Kindly share how-to, clue or experience on raising a multilingial children.

Thanx
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Outstrip(f): 12:24am On Mar 13, 2011
Interesting topic. My son counts in russian, swahili, spainish and french. For some weird reason he likes the idea of knowing different languages and he is only 3. I have taken note but I really don't even know where to start with it. If maybe I should make him focus on one or just let him have fun with it the way he is now
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Nobody: 1:44am On Mar 13, 2011
lol outstrip. Let him go with the flow,just make him go slow and easy. Enroll him in classes and when you think he can't cope then you can cut it down to 2 or 1. I think he can cope if he is not rushed into it but taught slow and steady. Abeg no kill the boy dream ooooo,lol
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Busybody2(f): 1:54am On Mar 13, 2011
Jon.Bee:

Hi house.

Kindly share how-to, clue or experience on raising a multilingial children.

Thanx

I know someone this affected, when he was a lil kid, he spoke German/Dutch and all its variation as spoken in Germany, Austria, Holland, Switzeland, etc, he was also fluent in French, Spanish, and 3 African languages at once, whilst he thrived at home and everyone could understand what he was saying, it became an issue for him at School as he was trying to speak all the languages at once and getting muddled up and his Teachers could not understand him and it started affecting his performance.
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Nobody: 2:43am On Mar 13, 2011
Lol BB it depends on the kid you know.

Any child of mine that is interested is only allowed to know 3 and like I once stated it's all about going slow and easy,starting with simple lines, e.t.c
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Busybody2(f): 2:49am On Mar 13, 2011
jennykadry:

Lol BB it depends on the kid you know.

[s]Ehn hen, always thought he was extraordinarily dense, now this confirms it grin Na Mr BB i dey talk oh embarassed grin grin grin [/s] Jenny why are you disrespeckin my man na, watch yourself oh grin angry angry angry
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Nobody: 2:59am On Mar 13, 2011
Lol Oloshi grin grin grin ,BTW Is MR BB bi-racial?
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Busybody2(f): 3:08am On Mar 13, 2011
^^^

Nor bribe me, I am still telling him angry

Is that the word they use now tongue Yeah he is half n half cheesy
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Nobody: 3:15am On Mar 13, 2011
^^ No worries mate. Just wanna know cos I am planning on having my way with him cool

Now I know why BB wants to have kids every year. Who wouldn't wanna have "bi-racial" as kids and who wouldn't wanna sleep with a sexy looking biracial. embarassed

If na someone like me the thing go sweet me so tey I no go know when I go dey born every 6 months embarassed

Emmm BB I got gifts from aussie for you and your wondeful pikin.Please send me your contact details (Address) I need to send em to you.

P.S if na biracial with "ARAB" or INDIAN'' blood, please I no want. Thank you , danke, ose, dalu angry angry
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Busybody2(f): 3:34am On Mar 13, 2011
jennykadry:

^^ No worries mate. Just wanna know cos I am planning on having my way with him cool

Now I know why BB wants to have kids every year. Who wouldn't wanna have "bi-racial" as kids and who wouldn't wanna sleep with a sexy looking biracial. embarassed

If na someone like me the thing go sweet me so tey I no go know when I go dey born every 6 months embarassed

Emmm BB I got gifts from aussie for you and your wondeful pikin.Please send me your contact details (Address) I need to send em to you.

P.S if na biracial with "ARAB" or INDIAN'' blood, please I no want. Thank you , danke, ose, dalu angry angry

Ah that reminds me, you need to give me Mr Kadry's shoe size, I've already got yours, i saw some nice his n hers rubber slippers at Yaba Tejuosho market that would make the loveliest gifts for you and him grin

How you wan take born every 6 months, e don tay wey you don kolo grin cheesy

Jenny nor corrupt me joo, I am still a new chassis fagin so dunno whacchutalkin about, i am even too shy to type the S word that you use yekini for cheesy Na UK blood dey hin body jare, Arab ke lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Outstrip(f): 4:17am On Mar 13, 2011
rotflmao. Jenny and bb una head no dey house o
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by ifyalways(f): 6:30am On Mar 13, 2011
@OP,how old is the child?
Are u and/or ur hubby bi-racial and communicate with the boy in ur different lingos?do u stay in a country with a different(from either of u) lingua franca?
If the answers to above questions are positives,i wud say u have nothing to worry abt(if those are the lingos the boy speaks).There is no fear of "losing it" as he has people to converse with efficiently in those languages.The key to learning and retaining a language is "usage"

If however,he is just learning (outside the above scenarios) chances are that some of the languages wud die off from his head or he wud go the way of "speaking in strange tongues" as BB pointed out.

I was once on same boat,before i open my mouth,friends wud remind me the language. . .French only please,lol.I got sane by maintaining english and let the others die,(I had no one to constantly converse with in those languages)
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Acidosis(m): 7:14am On Mar 13, 2011
@Jenny, who is that man in your profile? Your man? wink grin
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 13, 2011
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:51pm On Mar 13, 2011
chaircover:

Do you know I never really thought about it embarassed

My daughter attends catholic school so naturally a lot of Italian is spoken in the playground. She wanted to fit in so asked us to send her to Italian lessons which she attends. They learn Spanish in school anyway and is taught in English. She also understands a fair amount of Yoruba.

She is only 7 and I haven't noticed any confusion in picking the right language for the correct occasion but I suppose at that age she doesn't realize that she is learning and it is all fun to her. How I wish learning was fun during my French Lessons in school angry.**sigh**

you can say again there is no confusion

when i was young we were forced to speak in english in our class and sometimes and school grounds but i never had an problem from switching from english to shona or shona to english

the same with indians & somalis here in UK their kids speak both fluent english and mother tongue etc

there is a lot of confusin within my fellow zimbabwean here in UK you hear them bragging that my child cant speal shona/ndebele the reasn they say it good for him to interact with others yes but that at school what about at home let him/her speak the mother/father language thats your ID
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by dellnet: 9:44pm On Mar 13, 2011
@JON.BEE don't try to teach them English.
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Araboy(m): 7:51am On Mar 14, 2011
Kids in many countries get to know several languages at an early age is not for genetic advantage but rather have been exposed to those languages  while young myself as an exemple am fluent in French English Portuguese Spanish and Arabic I also  speak Fulani Yoruba and Wolof ( spoken in Senegal Gambia and Mauritania) I think parents can help their kids learn languages by keeping most the exercice fun and challenging
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by omo9ja1(m): 12:43pm On Mar 14, 2011
I think its a nice idea if the kid (s) so desire, my GF speaks 5 languages it makes me wonder how she was able to swap, she's enjoying herself at work because she was the only one that can interact with almost every employee lol
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Princek12(m): 1:03pm On Mar 14, 2011
Outstrip:

Interesting topic. My son counts in russian, swahili, spainish and french. For some weird reason he likes the idea of knowing different languages and he is only 3. I have taken note but I really don't even know where to start with it. If maybe I should make him focus on one or just let him have fun with it the way he is now

if you have one, can your son count in your native language? And if not, I pray to God to purge your mind of colonial mentality; and if yes, cheers and good job. I see that Swahili is mentioned, so I am assuming that Swahili is your native language.
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by carnal: 2:50pm On Mar 14, 2011
i will ensure my daughter speaks french,dutch,ibo and english
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 14, 2011
the more the language the child can speak the better
certaiin that child has a bright future
why are you trying to limit the abilities of ur child
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Outstrip(f): 5:14pm On Mar 14, 2011
You guys make me feel like I should go buy all the language software for kids I can find. Since he is showing interest and actually likes the stuff. I always told myself I will nurture whatever sensible thing they come up with. We don't have anyone around speaking these languages. He does it at daycare with the older kids computers and always begs me to play them on youtube too. Na wa oh.
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by Tokotaya: 5:27pm On Mar 14, 2011
ANy child psychologist in the house? Your expert opinion pls. Will a child be confused at some point learning three languages simultaneously/
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by helpdoer: 1:04am On Mar 15, 2011
While I'm not a child psychologist, I've read articles actually encouraging parents to expose kids to as many languages as possible. Their little sponge-like brains can take it and it helps your kids grow confident and with superior language skills than their peers.

You can't go wrong!

See this link on top 10 Benefits of early language exposure for children:
http://www.early-advantage.com/Articles/Topten.aspx
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by SAGoddess: 1:29pm On Mar 15, 2011
Well, my boy is almost four and speaks 3 languages, a fourth one not so great but he understands it, kids don't really get confused with languages, their brains are porous so learning languages is easy for them!
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by shm18: 4:34pm On Mar 15, 2011
I'm new to the forum but kids don't get confused by speaking a variety of languages- in fact it benefits their brain studies show.

I found this article on bilingual kids which may help:
http://www.incultureparent.com/2010/10/multilingual-families-monolingual-children/

There are other articles on this website too of families who have experiences raising bi/tri/4-lingual kids.
http://www.incultureparent.com/2010/11/osmosis-of-language/

http://www.incultureparent.com/2010/12/languages-of-the-mind-and-heart-the-mother-daughter-trilingual-connection/

Hope that helps!
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by chic2pimp(m): 7:51pm On Mar 15, 2011
ZIM DRILL:

there is a lot of confusin within my fellow zimbabwean here in UK you hear them bragging that my child cant speal shona/ndebele the reasn they say it good for him to interact with others yes but that at school what about at home let him/her speak the mother/father language thats your ID
A trait also common amongst Nigerians. You'll often here them say 'My Child Can't Speak Igbo/Yoruba' with pride.

@ POST
A family friend of mine wants all three kids to be fluent in what she calls the "Five Major world's language, English,Spanish,Italian,German and French'(don't ask me how she came to that conclusion. She enroled em' in classes which taught those languages and so far so good they can speak Italian,French and Spanish fluently and not too far behind when it comes to German.

If she had her way, those kids would in no time be learning Portugese too
Re: Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids by N101: 2:24pm On Sep 03, 2011
Learning more than one language isn't difficult for children, it's the adults who get confused  grin

I have a friend who grew up speaking English, Swahili and German (went to a German-speaking school).  She said when they were little, she and her sisters would speak to each other in German when playing, and her English grandparents hated it!

What I've never understood is how Chinese children can speak their parents language, as can Indian and Pakistani children in Europe and North America.  Yet most African children cannot fluently speak their parents language unless their parents send them to lessons.  Why is it so hard for us to teach our children our languages?

(1) (Reply)

A Question Strictly For Married Women / Look What He Found Under His Bed (pic)! / Now my watch is ended

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.