Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,905 members, 7,799,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Visa Struggle : The Desperation To Travel Out Of Nigeria - Is It Really Worth It - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visa Struggle : The Desperation To Travel Out Of Nigeria - Is It Really Worth It (1719 Views)

Why Does Everybody In Nigeria Want To Travel Out? / Which African Passport Is Best To Travel Out From Thailand? / The Desperation To Travel Out Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visa Struggle : The Desperation To Travel Out Of Nigeria - Is It Really Worth It by iz2much: 3:23am On Mar 13, 2011
The desperation on the part of many Nigerians to travel out of the country is believed to have reached an alarming level in recent times.

And indeed Vanguard Metro’s visit to some embassies in Lagos revealed scenes of absurdity involving many Nigerians, both young and old, desperate to flee their country at the slightest opportunity.

At all the embassies visited there was almost always a crowd of visa seekers jostling and fighting desperately under the sun or rain to be attended to. To them, the visa they seek is as important as the Holy Grail, which explains why they are prepared to sacrifice anything, including their dignity, comfort and personal safety in their quest for it.

This development only goes to confirm that all the campaigns and other efforts by government and its relevant agencies to discourage Nigerians from travelling out of the country on flimsy grounds have so far come to nought.

What Vanguard Metro saw in one of the African embassies located at Sinari Daranijo Street, Victoria Island was astonishing and unbelievable. It was a Thursday and it was raining heavily when Vanguard Metro got there at about 5.45am. Yet the number of visa seekers was over 300 and the applicants had been divided into two queues with the first one being for first time travellers, work and study permit applicants while the other queue was for corporate clients, frequent travellers, transit and medical visa.

“How did these people get here this early?” queried a fellow who was a first time visitor to the place. Another fellow who identified himself as Tope had responded thus: “For anybody to be among the first 20 on these lines, the person must have been on the queue by 4.00am”.

This was a shocking revelation which was confirmed by another visa seeker by name Ajayi. According to him: “I have been trying my luck for the past one week, only to be getting here by 6.00 am and meeting many people. I then requested for a friend to bring me down here in his car yesterday and we slept in the car to make our being on the line by 4.10 am this morning possible”.

Also easily noticeable were the ubiquitous touts as they went about rendering one service or the other and collecting money from desperate applicants. The Police were not left out as officers and men from the Maroko and Bar Beach Police Stations used the opportunity to make brisk business for themselves as they were seen arresting and searching people and ‘penalising’ those “with questions to answer”.

Re: Visa Struggle : The Desperation To Travel Out Of Nigeria - Is It Really Worth It by Nobody: 4:08am On Mar 13, 2011
more like population transfer.

the travelling isnt even so much the problem as is the permanency.

westerners are also heavy travellers but they tend to not disregard the travelling conditions on their visas.

anyway!!! all that may soon change if the pendulum swings the other way and there's a need to flood africa once more.

@ topic

of course i'm not saying nigeria is not hard, or that whoever wants to, should not travel.
Re: Visa Struggle : The Desperation To Travel Out Of Nigeria - Is It Really Worth It by thetelz(m): 4:08am On Mar 13, 2011
Hahaha nigerians will never change,wetin i dey find by 4am for embassy? I even heard some people attempted walking to UK and got stranded in Mali.lmao
Re: Visa Struggle : The Desperation To Travel Out Of Nigeria - Is It Really Worth It by Nobody: 11:03am On Mar 13, 2011
Different strokes for different folks.
Re: Visa Struggle : The Desperation To Travel Out Of Nigeria - Is It Really Worth It by AjanleKoko: 4:41pm On Mar 14, 2011
Do the math, everyone.
150+ million people squeezed into a relatively small land mass living under severe political, economic, and social conditions?
Voting with the feet is what happens. You think Indians, Chinese, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, and all those nations with similar conditions to Nigeria don't also run to anywhere? Survival = base human instinct.

(1) (Reply)

Life In America And The Culture shock / Complete Directions From Lagos Nigeria To Lome Togo / Please How Good Is Medview Airline?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.