Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,371 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Yoruba History - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba History (17424 Views)

Yoruba History Supported By DNA. The Eurasia connection / Ooni Of Ife Warns Against Distortion Of Yoruba History / A War-Room Discussion & Analysis Of Yoruba History. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba History by shawdon(m): 10:33am On Mar 14, 2011
Yoruba History Olusanya

The origin of the Yoruba in Nigeria can not be clearly deciphered. It is believed that their primary ancestor, Oduduwa, came from Egypt. There are many variations and myths to how the Yoruba people came to be, and here is a couple of variations. Oduduwa is the legendary progenitor of the Yoruba. There are two variations of the story of how he achieved this feat. The first is cosmogonic, the second, political. The cosmogonic version also has two variations. According to the first variation of the cosmogonic myth, Orisanla (Obatala) was the arch-divinity who was chosen by Olodumare[1], the supreme deity to create a solid land out of the primordial water that constituted the earth and of populating the land with human beings.

Obatala descended from heaven on a chain, carrying a small snail shell full of earth, palm kernels and a five-toed chicken. He was to empty the content of the snail shell on the water after placing some pieces of iron on it, and then to place the chicken on the earth to spread it over the primordial water. According to the first version of the story, Obatala completed this task to the satisfaction of Olodumare. He was then given the task of making the physical body of human beings after which Olodumare would give them the breath of life. He also completed this task and this is why he has the title of "Obarisa" the king of orisas. The other variant of the cosmogonic myth does not credit Obatala with the completion of the task. While it concedes that Obatala was given the task, it avers that Obatala got drunk even before he got to the earth and he was unable to do the job. Olodumare got worried when he did not return on time, and he had to send Oduduwa to find out what was going on. When Oduduwa found Obatala drunk, he simply took over the task and completed it. Thus, Oduduwa created land. The spot on which he landed from heaven and which he redeemed from water to become land is called Ile-Ife and is now considered the sacred and spiritual home of the Yoruba. Obatala was embarrassed when he woke up and, due to this experience, he made it a taboo for any of his devotees to drink palm wine. Olodumare forgave him and gave him the responsibility of molding the physical bodies of human beings. The making of land is a symbolic reference to the founding of the Yoruba kingdoms, and this is why Oduduwa is credited with that achievement.

According to the second version of the myth, there was a pre-existing civilization at Ile-Ife prior to its invasion by a group led by Oduduwa. This group came from the east, where Oduduwa and his group had been persecuted on the basis of religious differences. They came to Ile-Ife, fought and conquered the pre-existing Igbo (unrelated to the present day Igbo people of Eastern Nigeria) inhabitants led by Oreluere (Obatala). Obviously, there is a connection between the two versions of the story. The political one may be the authentic story of the founding of the Ife kingdom through conquest. However, the myth of creation lends it a legitimacy that is denied by the conquest story; just as it appears that it is lent some credence by the fact that, as a result of the embarrassment it caused their deity, the followers of Obatala are forbidden from taking palm wine.

Indeed the second version of the cosmogonic myth also appears to foreshadow the political variant. The claim that Obatala got drunk and the task of creation had to be performed by Oduduwa already has some political coloration which is now explicit in the political version of the tradition. What is crucial in both variants of the story is the role of Oduduwa as the founder of the Yoruba nation which is why the name cannot be forgotten. Oduduwa is the symbol of the nation, the rallying point for all those who subscribe to the Yoruba identity. The name Yoruba itself, according to historians Smith, Atanda and others, ‘was fixed on us by our northern neighbors and later popularized by colonial publications.’ Before then, the "Anago" to which some Yoruba in the present Benin Republic and others in the new world still use to refer to themselves, was used to refer to most of the people called Yoruba today. A common origin and language, as well as common political and religious cultures made the Yorubas a nation long before any contact with Europeans and the advent of colonialism.

Upon the death of Oduduwa, there was the dispersal of his children from Ife to found other kingdoms. These original founders of the Yoruba nation included Olowu of Owu (son of Oduduwa's daughter), Alaketu of Ketu (son of a princess), Oba of Benin, Orangun of Ila, Onisabe of Sabe, Olupopo of Popo, and Oranyan of Oyo. Each of them made a mark in the subsequent urbanization and consolidation of Yoruba confederacy of kingdoms, with each kingdom tracing its origin to Ile-Ife. After the dispersal, the aborigines, the Igbo, became difficult, and constituted a serious threat to the survival of Ife. Thought to be survivors of the old occupants of the land before the arrival of Oduduwa, these people now turned themselves into marauders.

The Igbos would come to town in costumes made of raffia with terrible and fearsome appearances, and the Ife people would flee. Then the Igbo would burn down houses and loot the markets. Then came Moremi on the scene—like Deborah of the Old Testament. When no man could dare the Igbos, Moremi asked the Esinminrin river for help and promised to give offerings if she could save her people. The orisa told her to allow herself to be captured and to understudy the Igbo people. She did, and discovered that these were not spirits; only people with raffia for dress. She escaped, and taught her people the trick. The next time that Igbo people came, they were roundly defeated. Moremi then had to go back to Esinminrin to thank the gods. Every offering she offered was refused. On divination, she was told she had to give Oluorogbo, her only son. She did. The lesson of Moremi is the lesson of patriotism and selflessness. The reward may not be reaped in one's life time. Moremi passed on and became a member of the Yoruba pantheon. The Edi festival celebrates the defeat of the Igbo and the sacrifice of Oluorogbo till today.

Oranmiyan was the last of the Oduduwa offsprings. But he was the most adventurous and the founder of Oyo Kingdom. On some accounts, he was the

third ruler of Ife as successor to Oduduwa. But he later decided to avenge the expulsion of his father from the East, and so, he led an expedition. After many years on the road, and as a result of disagreement between him and his people, he could not go further. Feeling too ashamed to go back, he appealed to the King of Nupe for a land to found his kingdom. He was obliged, and that land became the nucleus of Old Oyo Kingdom. Oranmiyan, taking the title of Alafin, succeeded in raising a very strong military and effectively expanded his kingdom. His successors, including Sango, the mythical god of thunder, Aganju and Oluasho were also as strong. Peace and tranquility prevailed during the reign of Abiodun, though it also experienced the decline of the army. Aole Arogangan was Abiodun’s successor and it was during his reign that trouble started for the kingdom. He was forced to commit suicide; but before his death he was said to have pronounced a curse on all Yoruba, that they will not unite and that they will be taken captives.Afonja was the Kakanfo, the generalisimo of the army, in the northern Yoruba town of Ilorin, during the reign of Awole and his successor.

Afonja refused to recognize the new king, and invited the Fulani who were then leading a jihad to the south, to assist him against the king. They did, but he did not survive himself, because the Fulani, after helping him defeat the Alafin also turned against him. They fired numerous arrows at him and his dead body was stood erect on those arrows as they stuck into his body. The treachery of Afonja marked the beginning of the end of the Oyo empire and with it the decline of the Yoruba nation. Civil war erupted among the various Yoruba kingdoms: Oyo, Ijesa, Ekiti, Ijaiye, Abeokuta and Ibadan. As this was going on, Dahomey on the west and the Borgu on the north were also posing trouble for the Yoruba kingdoms until the intervention of the British and the imposition of colonial rule. Those who argue that there was no consciousness of a common Yoruba identity until the 19th century may be referring to these civil war episodes in the life of the nation. But they forget that these people, in spite of the civil war, share a sense of common origin and common language. And it is to be noted that the so-called peace that was imposed by the British could not have lasted had there not been a sense of consciousness of coming from a common origin.

Now, Since the ancient history of Yoruba is covered, more modern history should take prevalence. There have been many events that have taken place in the 20th century. Between 1914 and 1922, Nigeria was presided over by a Governor-General. In 1922, as part of the constitution of the time, the British introduced the principle of direct election into the Legislative council. In 1951, a new constitution elevated the provinces to regional status. The National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) had control of the Eastern Region government, the Northern Peoples Congress (NPC) had control of the Northern Region, and the Action Group (AG) had control of the Western Region. By 1957, the Eastern and Western Regions attained self-governing status. In 1959, the Northern Region attained self-governing status.

On October 1 1960, Nigeria obtained it's independence. At this time, Northern and Southern Cameroon were given the option of staying as part of Nigeria or leaving Nigeria. Southern Cameroon decided to leave Nigeria, but Northern Cameroon stayed. Also, on October 7, 1960, Nigeria was admitted to the United Nations as the 99th member. One of the earliest and most signification contributions to the UN was to furnish troops for the peacekeeping opearting in Zaire in the the early 1960s. Later on, the main thrust of Nigeria's activism on the world stage was to eradicate apartheid and racism from Africa. In 1963, Nigeria became a republic. By 1964, the Nigerian army units had formed the backbone of the UN force.

In January of 1966, a group of army officers, consisting mostly of the Ibo peoples, and led by General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi, overthrew the central and regional governments, killed the prime minister, took control of the government, and got rid of the federal system of government to replace it with a central government with many Igbos as advisors. This caused a lot of riots and a lot of Igbos were killed in the process. In July of the same year, a group of northern army officers revolted against the government (it seems this started a long history of military coups), killed General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi, and appointed the army chief of staff, General Yakubu Gowon as the head of the new military government.

In 1967, Gowon moved to split the existing 4 regions of Nigeria into 12 states. However, the military governor of the Eastern Region (Colonel Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu) refused to accept the division of the Eastern Region, and declared the Eastern Region an independent republic called Biafra. This led to a civil war between Biafra and the remainder of Nigeria. The war started in June 1967, and continued until Biafra surrendered on January 15, 1970 after over 1 million people had died. During the early 1970s a lot of time was spend reconstructing the areas that were formerly part of Biafra. Around this time, the petroleum industry was booming, and the economy was recovering from the effects of the civil war, though there were still problems with inflation, high unemployment, decline in the price of peanuts and cocoa, and a drought.

In 1971, Nigeria joined the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). However, the prolonged drought in 1973 led to the death of thousands of livestock, the suffering of farms, and the fishing industry. This, in combination with the oil boom, made a lot of people move into away from the farms, and more towards the cities. Though the oil boom in the early 1970s brought a lot of revenue to Nigeria, this seemed to stay mostly in government. In 1976, Nigeria was further broken down into 19 states, and plans to move the capital to Abuja were in the works. In 1987, 2 more states were created. In 1991, 9 more states were created, leading to 30 states at the time. Also in 1991, Abuja was formed as a new (more central) section of the country, and the capital of Nigeria was officially moved from Lagos to Abuja. The government took portions of then Niger, Kogi, and Plateau states to form the new federal capital territory of Abuja.

Though Biafra was the most deadly and violent of the wars in Nigeria, there have continued to be disputes in Nigeria due to land, ethnic differences, religious differences. For example, in 1992 there were major clashes in the north between Christians and Muslims, and over 3000 people were killed in the clashes. Also, there was a possibility of Nigeria going to war with Cameroon in 1993.

The history of Yoruba is very interesting. Olodumare, the Supreme Being of the Yoruba culture, is equivalent to the Christian God. The story of how the chicken spread the sand across the Earth is similar how God created the Earth in the Christian Bible. They are very similar but the political view is much more believable and accepted. As a student and firm believer of religion (Christianity), I am very interested in the similarities of the two religions. I would also love to learn more about the history and other similarities between the Yoruba and Christianity beliefs.

http://www.uga.edu/aflang/YORUBA/ODUDUWA.htm
Re: Yoruba History by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:26pm On Mar 19, 2011
Re: Yoruba History by holuwaabukunmee(f): 1:26pm On Mar 29, 2015
Wonderful,nyc write up
Am proud 2 be a yoruba lady
Re: Yoruba History by absoluteSuccess: 4:38pm On Mar 29, 2015
The ancient Yoruba descended from ancient Hebrew. That's why you have similarities in Yoruba and ancient Hebrew culture. I am surprise to learn that Obatala also came with flying chain. It used to be 'Oduduwa stunt'.
Re: Yoruba History by macof(m): 1:45pm On Mar 30, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
The ancient Yoruba descended from ancient Hebrew. That's why you have similarities in Yoruba and ancient Hebrew culture. I am surprise to learn that Obatala also came with flying chain. It used to be 'Oduduwa stunt'.

I'll be glad if you can state 10 of such similar culture, such that exists only between Yoruba and Hebrews
also you would tell us why Yoruba had to come from Hebrews and not Hebrews coming from Yoruba

There's nothing like flying chain or oduduwa stunt. Was that meant as a joke?...most of this creation story u find on the internet are majorly twisted due to ignorance...try speaking with a competent Babalawo for genuine bits from Ogunda Meji's account of creation he is willing to let out

1 Like

Re: Yoruba History by absoluteSuccess: 2:08pm On Mar 30, 2015
macof:

I'll be glad if you can state 10 of such similar culture, such that exists only between Yoruba and Hebrews
also you would tell us why Yoruba had to come from Hebrews and not Hebrews coming from Yoruba

There's nothing like flying chain or oduduwa stunt. Was that meant as a joke?...most of this creation story u find on the internet are majorly twisted due to ignorance...try speaking with a competent Babalawo for genuine bits from Ogunda Meji's account of creation he is willing to let out
Never mind, I have just stated my believes and findings. You can't have early facts in their pristin forms, just comparative studies where facts connects. I wouldn't mind if you can share the Ogunda-meji account with timeline. I believe that 'Oduduwa chain descent' is not true too.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba History by macof(m): 8:24pm On Mar 30, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Never mind, I have just stated my believes and findings. You can't have early facts in their pristin forms, just comparative studies where facts connects. I wouldn't mind if you can share the Ogunda-meji account with timeline. I believe that 'Oduduwa chain descent' is not true too.
Surely you can tell us these "findings" that make you believe Yoruba are descended from faraway Hebrews not even any African people.
I don't know the Ogunda account...I only know bits from here and there because no Babalawo would just sit down and begin to teach you odu.
Oduduwa chain descent is very true in Yoruba...this is however a symbolism not an historical event. Some say he came via a boat, others say from the boat, he used the chain as an anchor. we can settle for the 3rd
Note that this isn't related to oduduwa the king, but one of the oldest Irunmole known to our ancestors
Re: Yoruba History by Redoil: 5:24am On Apr 01, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
typical of you. Do you understand the meaning of constructive analysing and critisizm? You just want us to swallow everything hook line and sinker? And please stop ridiculling Yoruba people and culture. It is well
Re: Yoruba History by macof(m): 2:55pm On Apr 01, 2015
I wonder what the term for these people are called
Those that try all means to connect their history with those of their masters
It's so disgusting

1 Like

Re: Yoruba History by absoluteSuccess: 5:40pm On Apr 01, 2015
Redoil:
typical of you. Do you understand the meaning of constructive analysing and critisizm? You just want us to swallow everything hook line and sinker? And please stop ridiculling Yoruba people and culture. It is well

hm, I have ridiculed Yoruba people and culture in my post, isn't it?

You were not alive when nigerman was on rampage few days ago.

You fail to preach this epistle to him, now you want to preach to me?

take your 'Orubebemaniac' away from me, please.

Mind your business.
Re: Yoruba History by absoluteSuccess: 5:47pm On Apr 01, 2015
macof:
I wonder what the term for these people are called
Those that try all means to connect their history with those of their masters
It's so disgusting

You can coin a name for them, I think it's business as usual with you, I have added more years and wont come to your level.

macof:

Surely you can tell us these "findings" that make you believe Yoruba are descended from faraway Hebrews not even any African people.
I don't know the Ogunda account...I only know bits from here and there because no Babalawo would just sit down and begin to teach you odu.
Oduduwa chain descent is very true in Yoruba...this is however a symbolism not an historical event. Some say he came via a boat, others say from the boat, he used the chain as an anchor. we can settle for the 3rd
Note that this isn't related to oduduwa the king, but one of the oldest Irunmole known to our ancestors

I would have answer you with the resources at my disposal, if not for the protocol change with nairaland login, I couldn't remember my email for this monicker, so I just suspend until the login was restored.

But thank God for that little hitch, I would have been sharing vital insight...thinking you want to have a discourse. Can a leopard change the colour of its skin? I don't think so.

Hold grim to your belief-system, its none of my probs, if mine is such to you, glory be to whatever you believe.

Its your old friend, Ladionline.
This is my SEO monicker here.
Re: Yoruba History by Redoil: 6:25pm On Apr 01, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

hm, I have ridiculed Yoruba people and culture in my post, isn't it?

You were not alive when nigerman was on rampage few days ago.

You fail to preach this epistle to him, now you want to preach to me?

take your 'Orubebemaniac' away from me, please.

Mind your business.
typical of you and ur people as usual.
How market for ur area
Re: Yoruba History by absoluteSuccess: 6:58pm On Apr 01, 2015
Redoil:
typical of you and ur people as usual.
How market for ur area

what brought you here in the first instance, pretender?

Redoil:

I can see your love for the Yoruba coming through the veil. You have achieve your aim, derail the thread to find more happiness.

Market is booming, its good to be good and honest, I was with a family at Ajah yesterday, via VGC they got to me through the internet. they were interested in my business and were directed to me through the woman I just put through. What do you do? smiley

Wharever you do, honesty pays.
Re: Yoruba History by Redoil: 7:05pm On Apr 01, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

what brought you here in the first instance, pretender?

I can see your love for the Yoruba coming through the veil. You have achieve your aim, derail the thread to find more happiness.

Market is booming, its good to be good and honest, I was with a family at Ajah yesterday, via VGC they got to me through the internet. they were interested in my business and were directed to me through the woman I just put through. What do you do? smiley

Wharever you do, honesty pays.
i sell redoil in drums
Re: Yoruba History by absoluteSuccess: 7:55pm On Apr 01, 2015
Redoil:
i sell redoil in drums

I feel nostalgic, this was my family business too, back in time.

Dad inherited hectares of land and the site was filled with palms.

I hate the harvest season, you will work and work, like jackie.

Grandma was the sole processor of the farm produce.

I love when the produce is processed to redoil,

you have money to buy just anything.

My part is to fetch firewood. cheesy

I love watching the firewood burn fiercely.

that's during Holidays anyway.

when we were kids.
Re: Yoruba History by macof(m): 8:37pm On Apr 01, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

You can coin a name for them, I think it's business as usual with you, I have added more years and wont come to your level.

I would have answer you with the resources at my disposal, if not for the protocol change with nairaland login, I couldn't remember my email for this monicker, so I just suspend until the login was restored.

But thank God for that little hitch, I would have been sharing vital insight...thinking you want to have a discourse. Can a leopard change the colour of its skin? I don't think so.

Hold grim to your belief-system, its none of my probs, if mine is such to you, glory be to whatever you believe.

Its your old friend, Ladionline.
This is my SEO monicker here.

I thought you were going to tell us the "findings"
Re: Yoruba History by absoluteSuccess: 8:16am On Apr 03, 2015
macof:

I thought you were going to tell us the "findings"
What become of the last "findings" that I shared on the 'Origin of the name Yoruba?' Was it not insults? How about 'Olokun' thread at the end? Please check. There is what the Yoruba call 'oloore', meaning 'people with good intent'. And then we have 'afibisoloore', that is, 'people who demoralises the well-meaning'. I'm not stupid, I have come of age and discovered that the best way to waste your precious time and deplete your innate intelligence is to come around often and engage resolute strangers in any inconclusive argument that offer you absolute nada. grin Thats highway to loosing what you believe. Must strangers control you, my son? (I'm thinking loud). You said it, no babalawo will sit someone down and teach them the abstracts of Ogunda, true. But my family house is 'Ago Babalawo'. Can the blind lead the blind? I am a man with sight.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba History by macof(m): 10:46am On Apr 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
What become of the last "findings" that I shared on the 'Origin of the name Yoruba?' Was it not insults? How about 'Olokun' thread at the end? Please check. There is what the Yoruba call 'oloore', meaning 'people with good intent'. And then we have 'afibisoloore', that is, 'people who demoralises the well-meaning'. I'm not stupid, I have come of age and discovered that the best way to waste your precious time and deplete your innate intelligence is to come around often and engage resolute strangers in any inconclusive argument that offer you absolute nada. grin Thats highway to loosing what you believe. Must strangers control you, my son? (I'm thinking loud). You said it, no babalawo will sit someone down and teach them the abstracts of Ogunda, true. But my family house is 'Ago Babalawo'. Can the blind lead the blind? I am a man with sight.

So it's ur family house that told u Yorubas are descended from Hebrews? They didn't tell u about any other African people..it's faraway Jews who have nothing in common with Yoruba? U think they do?
If so let's see linguistic, cultural, traditional, or historical connection
Re: Yoruba History by absoluteSuccess: 10:50am On Apr 03, 2015
macof:

So it's ur family house that told u Yorubas are descended from Hebrews? They didn't tell u about any other African people..it's faraway Jews who have nothing in common with Yoruba? U think they do?
If so let's see linguistic, cultural, traditional, or historical connection
OK. Af'ogbon~ologbon s'ogbon won ite boro. Ijapa l'ojo t'oun ti gbon-gbon ho, l'orun o ti w'oun mo. The place is too 'far away' to you: It shows that you are the measure of how 'far' or how near the ancestors can go. Have you lived across the phases of time to know the ambitions that drove men in ancient time? What is the yardstick for your conclusion? Do u have restrictions on Sea? My ancestors were maritime people (Awori, Tori-nu: water travellers). Like Colombus, they were ambitious and they came in search of 'Ile Ibudo'. Aren't you in touch with Prof. Wande Abimbola anymore? Study his Ifa precept, on the entry that says "adifa fun Oba Ado, Ejigbara ileke, nijo ti'nlo ree bawon mule Ibudo."
Re: Yoruba History by macof(m): 4:36pm On Apr 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
OK. Af'ogbon~ologbon s'ogbon won ite boro. Ijapa l'ojo t'oun ti gbon-gbon ho, l'orun o ti w'oun mo. The place is too 'far away' to you: It shows that you are the measure of how 'far' or how near the ancestors can go. Have you lived across the phases of time to know the ambitions that drove men in ancient time? What is the yardstick for your conclusion? Do u have restrictions on Sea? My ancestors were maritime people (Awori, Tori-nu: water travellers). Like Colombus, they were ambitious and they came in search of 'Ile Ibudo'. Aren't you in touch with Prof. Wande Abimbola anymore? Study his Ifa precept, on the entry that says "adifa fun Oba Ado, Ejigbara ileke, nijo ti'nlo ree bawon mule Ibudo."

But really this is simple. You said you have "findings" surely they are not dreams or faith talk but facts that can be relayed and presented as proof for a Hebrew-Yoruba connection
Re: Yoruba History by absoluteSuccess: 5:48pm On Apr 03, 2015
macof:

But really this is simple. You said you have "findings" surely they are not dreams or faith talk but facts that can be relayed and presented as proof for a Hebrew-Yoruba connection
grin This reminds me of the trip to my hometown 11 years ago. I ended in front of the historic Oduduwa temple, Ilaje. No elder was in sight, so I made to ask a young boy few questions, lo, the boy snubbed me to my utter angst. It was so painful and I decided to do my own research. The little boy has nothing to offer perhaps, but the attitude he put up made him powerful. He never want to tell his 'family story' to a stranger.

(1) (Reply)

5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression / The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. / Full List Of Past Olubadans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.