Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,528 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV (15985 Views)

Bomb Scare In Awka, Anambra State According To STV / #NEVER AGAIN, As Nigerians Cheer GEJ On Facebook After Soldiers Visit / Anambra State Governorship Election Debate On STV on Oct 25th, 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by baduks(m): 6:17pm On Mar 17, 2011
President Goodluck Jonathan and his running mate think so little of Nigerians that they have so far fled any venue where the presidential candidates have been invited to hold a debate. But when young Nigerians invited all the candidates to a debate tagged “What About Us?” to be anchored by acclaimed novelist, Chimamanda Adichie, many of them were certain that Mr. Jonathan would not say no to them.

They obviously didn’t know the man.

Instead of facing Adichie, Mr. Jonathan arranged his own one-man “debate,” inviting Nigeria’s hip-hop star, D'banj (whose real name is Dapo Daniel Oyebanjo) to ask him questions in a low-grade, soft session.

On March 17, 2011, D’banj took off his so-called Kokomaster hat and replaced it with that of the voice of the Nigerian youth as he took it upon himself to ask President Jonathan questions "concerning the youth."

We would not have bothered if Jonathan was being prepped for a reality show on D'banj's Koko mansion, but this was a session with a man asking Nigerian voters, including young ones, to entrust him with the highest political office in their country.

Having decided to duck from a debate organized by numerous Nigerian youth groups, Mr. Jonathan nevertheless wanted to show off that he's got the backing of the Nigerian youth. He chose a well-known popular entertainer as collaborator in a patently deceptive game.

Jonathan got it wrong!

Jonathan must have figured that the interview occurred at an opportune moment. It was his attempt to divert attention from the calls for real debates on an independent platform. Yet, in giving D’banj the job of asking him questions, Mr. Jonathan sought to give the impression that he’s in touch with the youth—and has great regard for them. But by choosing a rich stage performer who is obviously out of touch with the realities of the average Nigerian youth, President Jonathan showed himself up as a clueless leader who is out of tune with the vast majority of Nigerian youth and their top issues in the upcoming elections.

D'banj was an embarrassment. He spent much of the interview nodding blankly at Goodluck Jonathan's uninformed answers. The social media universe was merciless. It twittered insults at D’banj and his sponsor, Jonathan. On facebook, more barbs were flung at the two men. Many of D’Banj’s fans pointed to their newfound disrespect for the artist who is now seen as a man with a purchase price.

Many critics were disgusted that D’banj, who’s on Jonathan’s payroll, would dare appoint himself to represent the Nigerian youth.

By granting an interview to the likes of D’banj, Jonathan has ignored the politically aware coalition that formed “What About Us?”—a collection of talented, imaginative, articulate, highly educated and globally acclaimed Nigerian youth.

“Why would this man ignore the youth-led initiative for a real debate and give a comical interview to a hireling like D’banj?” asked a disappointed youth. “Is President Jonathan so scared that he won’t take questions from Chimamanda Adichie?” asked another.

D'Banj’s performance was so bad that he came out looking like a brainless political pawn, too grateful to sit across from a candidate who appears too timid and too unsure of himself to submit to any real debate.

Jonathan and the PDP may be misjudging the youth who are determined to put an end to the era of mediocrity and criminal showmanship that has dragged their nation backward for several decades.

For D’banj it was a regrettable moment, marking his career as an anti-youth crusader.

Adding to D’Banj’s miscalculation is the discovery that the Jonathan campaign is a sponsor of the Koko Concert scheduled to be held on the 25th of March, the same day as the Adichie-anchored youth debate. Many young people have reacted furiously to the news.

While this move might have been packaged by the Jonathan campaign as an ostensible outreach to the youth community, it came off as a huge gaffe, leaving the President looking disconnected from the core concerns of young people—and a man too afraid to speak to the youth without a script.

As for D’banj, the question is whether he’s going to ever regain respect within the Nigerian youth community. One former fan tweeted: "See d cheap propaganda of Dbanj n GEJ. I see y naija youths cant be trusted. Dbanj na west."

The entertainer’s huge public relations misstep might not matter to him, though; he’s making trips to the bank to lodge his lucre!

But one thing is certain, Nigerian youths don’t seem in any mood to be manipulated by politicians who hold them and their issues in contempt—or by their hirelings, whatever seductive songs they may sing!
http://www.saharareporters.com/article/goodluck-d%E2%80%99banj
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by TruthHeals: 6:54pm On Mar 17, 2011
If true, GEJ must have received the questions in advance. GEJ is so clueless about the issues bedviling this country.
Wonder how he got the PhD sef.
BB all the way.
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 17, 2011
And what d f*ck does dbanj knw abt wats going on d mind of an average nigerian youth? I hp its a huge joke, like d gje likes to be a part of any unserious engagements but decline to be a part of brainstorming productive engagements.
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Kobojunkie: 7:07pm On Mar 17, 2011
He is likely to get some good votes out of this, no matter how stupid it turns out, if at all. We all know there are Nigerian youths out there who would do anything DBanj tells em to do. grin
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by popoyeh(m): 7:42pm On Mar 17, 2011
baduks:

Just got an SMS from GEJ 2011 (bulk sms) that DBanj will be interviewing GEJ @ 8pm tonight to speak the mind of youths!!!!

I saw it on FB as well and to me it makes no sense.

D'Banj na my man anytime, anyday and l no get beaf for am at all, but na wetin dem put for hin mouth he go talk, dem wan begin dey call 'albino' whiteman for us abi, abi dem think say Naijarians no get sense?

I like GEJ as a person and l admire a lot of things about him, am not a fan of his party and their policies though, but this latest one is not it. D'banj is not the right person to interview GEJ on behalf of Nigerian youths because he is an 'entertainer' (according to him in one of his tracks and at the end of the track he shouted 'pay me my amoney'; money for entertaining) and the 'interview session' will turn into an entertaiment session'.

Out of all the youths in our tertiary institutions, non is worthy to interview the Presidio or of all the students in the federation, non is worthy? What baffles me the most is that how come GEJ found it hard to accept to participate in a Presidential Debate but would be willing to give us this entertainment interview.

Kokomaster, l no blame you at all O, na your money you dey chop because l know say dem no go gree you ask your own questions, but abeg no forget to scream 'PAY ME MY MONEY!!!' once you are done with their farcical interview.
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by monkeyleg: 8:29pm On Mar 17, 2011
Silly stunt, let him be grilled by a proper interviewer not some local pop star
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by friedrice1: 8:45pm On Mar 17, 2011
Did anyone just hear GEJ explanation of Job Security?
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by dasa: 8:46pm On Mar 17, 2011
Haha, i am watching it now. dbanj has the dumbest gestures.
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Solomon227(m): 8:55pm On Mar 17, 2011
Just when u are thinking my man has started being reasonable, he will just throw u off-balance with another market dance.

We are approaching a critical point in our democratic history, and many former fans have turned their backs against you on allegations of : incompetency, docility, cluelessness and most-importantly corruption. So d next thing is to stage a comedy show with Dbanj? I understand, after-all Ugandan President also released a rap track to attract young voters but GEJ's image has gone from good to bad to worst and he should start addressing the weaknesses and deliberate deficiencies many Nigerians have accused his Govt of.  

Anyways, change is coming to Nigeria [size=24pt]Vote BB 2011[/size] for the future of our children
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Seun(m): 9:02pm On Mar 17, 2011
Is it still on?
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by phantom(m): 9:03pm On Mar 17, 2011
LWKMD, gej's explanation of the heart valves got me rollin on the floor,
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by bomb1(m): 9:13pm On Mar 17, 2011
Very soon,snoop doggie dog and or girls of the playboy mansion would interview Obama

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by macIB(m): 10:11pm On Mar 17, 2011
first the wife and now the husband

what a bunch!
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by MrInfo1(m): 11:02pm On Mar 17, 2011
Dbanjing (verb): The Act Of Noding ur head dogmatically and stupidly. E.g I was just dbanjing for my project supervisor today
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Kilode1: 11:20pm On Mar 17, 2011
Buhari and Bakare better get P-Square to "interview" them before a National Stadium audience and broadcast it live. 

Like Kobojunkie explained, thousands of impressionable young Nigerians will vote GEJ because of this "interview" BB shine ya eyes.
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by leonaidas(m): 11:23pm On Mar 17, 2011
Something very strange happened to my T.v when d programme was on, d audio and colour simply went off only to resume immediately after d "interview" i guess even inanimate objects are revolting.
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by wesley80(m): 11:35pm On Mar 17, 2011
^^^ Thats what happens when u buy electronics from under d bridge.
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Seun(m): 11:38pm On Mar 17, 2011
Any spicy quotes?
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by leonaidas(m): 11:44pm On Mar 17, 2011
wesley80:

Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by semid4lyfe(m): 12:02am On Mar 18, 2011
What a master stroke from team GEJ. . . . grin grin
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by BABE3: 12:08am On Mar 18, 2011
wesley80:

lmao, like, that had me rolling on my bed, lol
@OP, well, thats a nice campaign move! smiley
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by honeric01(m): 12:18am On Mar 18, 2011
Lol, can Fatai rolling dollars interview him too or maybe Akin and pawpaw? undecided
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by BABE3: 12:20am On Mar 18, 2011
honeric01:

Lol, can Fatai rolling dollars interview him too or maybe Akin and pawpaw? undecided

lmao, When last did I hear that ("okeresi number wa man"wink name!
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Nobody: 12:22am On Mar 18, 2011
*in yoruba accent* It has come to this ehn. Ile ti baje.

Why Dbanj, if I may ask? Why not 2face?
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by rebranded(m): 12:24am On Mar 18, 2011
What of tejubaby face that has been begging that Presidential candidates should come on his Joe

Jonathan better be ready for the debate tomorrow, not all this comic show he is doing
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 18, 2011
www.nairaland.com/attachments/408430_ACN_jpg963627e18d44c4c8f006bfa4ddeb48c3

any doubt that this cartoon was referencing gej?

sad. it shows the mans blather about education etal is just hypocritical pandering to th gallery

he can't even be bothered t engage in a real interview

wonder how much d banj pocketed for this

shouldn't be sprised

some two years ago i saw an ad in which dbanj and don jazzy were campaigning for andy uba
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by honeric01(m): 11:28am On Mar 18, 2011
^^^

Funny abi?
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by ifyalways(f): 12:02pm On Mar 18, 2011
Mu he he
That cartoon is darn funny . . . .Free madness.lol
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 18, 2011
[size=15pt]We all know dbanj is part of GEJ's campaign organization.[/size]
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by blacksta(m): 12:14pm On Mar 18, 2011
mediocracy - This is what the office of president has been reduced too
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by Oliyass(m): 12:33pm On Mar 18, 2011
I have just one thing to say "OLEKU!!!" , complete the lyrics ibeg.
Re: Dbanj Interviews GEJ On STV by r231(m): 12:33pm On Mar 18, 2011
blacksta:

mediocracy - This is what the office of president has been reduced too

abi o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Nasir El-Rufai Visits Destitutes' Home In Kaduna / Nigeria Imports 70 Million Generators / Shittu, Dokpesi, Others Step Down As APDA National Executives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.