Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,403 members, 7,781,161 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:05 AM

Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate (11859 Views)

Buhari Boycotts Presidential Debate / Gusau Did Not Attend Katsina College With Buhari – Fani-Kayode / Breaking News;jonathan Did Not Complete His Ph.d Course- Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 11:50pm On Mar 18, 2011
NIGERIANS CANT BE FOOLED BY ATTEMPT TO USURP THE RIGHT OF BROADCATING ORGANISATION OF NIGERIA[BON]OVER PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE.

I don't know what is wrong with Nigerians,all this noise about presidential debate and Jonathan is simply opposition, antics to divert our reasoning from the reality.
Ever since debate is is being organized in Nigeria,it the right of BON in conjuction with local broadcasting stations.
If we take United kingdom into consideration,its the BBC that host the presidential debate while other broadcasting organisation hook up to broadcast the debate.
Also,in the United State of America it is the ABC with WMUR-TV that host the presidential debate with other broadcasting station joining the broadcast.

Why will that of Nigeria suddenly change?
How come we have allowed ourselves to be deceived by these mischievous politicians trying to re-write history to suit their selfish interest.
When did NN24 come to the airwaves of this nation to be qualified to host a presidential debate?
If Jonathan and Sambo had attended,it would have been a let down on the nation.
I salute their courage despite all the name calling by these disgruntled element to conscript them to attending,they hold on,thereby upholding the national image.
We shall stand behind BON and its affiliate stations in conjuction with known TV stations such as Channels TV,AIT and a host of others to host a credible presidential debate not a phony one.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OF THIS DECEIT.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

I just got this from a comment posted on facebook, can we analyze the excuse given by this Nigerian?. In my opinion i very much think that they are genuine and legitimate with all other added factors.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by blacksta(m): 12:07am On Mar 19, 2011
Lame, Lame, Lame Excuses

What has the age of a station got to do with hosting a presidential debate. With the abysmal records of PDP who want to stand for debate when there is absolute nothing worthy to defend in debate after 12 years of misrule.  Tell one thing worthy that i could be proud to defend as pdp president.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 12:12am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

I just got this from a comment posted on facebook, can we analyze the excuse given by this Nigerian?. In my opinion i very much think that they are genuine and legitimate with all other added factors.

Analysis: That Nigerian is reetarded!
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:13am On Mar 19, 2011
@Poster, that is STUPID!! shocked shocked shocked What sort of excuse is that
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by timbuktwo: 12:14am On Mar 19, 2011
[size=30pt]you can only defend PDP if you are one of two things:

1) personally benefiting from some connection with the PDP

or

2) just plain plum dum.b

which one are you?[/size]
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by sesman(m): 12:16am On Mar 19, 2011
I mean if a president can't keep a simple promise by attending a presidential debate, how are we supposed to believe the promises made during his election campaign,  

absolutely pathetic
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:19am On Mar 19, 2011
Exactly, he said he would attend and didn't show last minute. Now people are cooking up ridiculous excuses for this?? Gosh!!

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13401163
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 12:22am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Exactly, he said he would attend and didn't show last minute. Now people are cooking up ridiculous excuses for this?? Gosh!!

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13401163

He said he will attend the debate organized by BON only.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:22am On Mar 19, 2011
NO, he said he will attend the NN24 Debate . . . they even waited a bit for him.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/finally-jonathan-agrees-television-debate
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by MaiSuya(m): 12:25am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

He said he will attend the debate organized by BON only.

How come we have allowed ourselves to be deceived by these mischievous politicians posters trying to re-write history to suit their selfish interest?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 12:28am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

NO, he said he will attend the NN24 Debate . . . they even waited a bit for him.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/finally-jonathan-agrees-television-debate

No maam that was old news because two days ago they came out with a clear cut explanation concerning their stand on debates.

Jonathan Will Not Attend NN24 Debate – Presidency

http://allafrica.com/stories/201103160641.html
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Nobody: 12:32am On Mar 19, 2011
timbuktwo said:

you can only defend PDP if you are one of two things:

1) personally benefiting from some connection with the PDP

or

2) just plain plum dum.b

which one are you?

Oh do shut up. For your information, MANY Nigerians DO support PDP for all sorts of reasons, not least because MANY Nigerians have seen their living standards and incomes RISE under the PDP govt. From lecturers to doctors, nurses, and bankers et al. Many Nigerians have actually done WELL under this govt. I know it's hard for you to accept that, but it's the cold hard TRUTH. Now bugger off.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:32am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

No maam that was old news because two days ago they came out with a clear cut explanation concerning their stand on debates.

This was after accepting the NN24.

He said, "The Presidency has not accepted any of the invitations to debate which have come so far from a plethora of groups and associations because we believe that this multiplicity of competing platforms detracts from the seriousness, gravity and unified national focus that should normally be associated with presidential debates.

"The Presidency is also aware that there is a traditional platform for staging presidential debates in Nigeria under the recognised auspices of the BON and that arrangements are underway for a presidential debate on this platform before this year's election."

But there is NO SUCH THING as a traditional Platform for staging presidential debates in Nigeria. That statement is just as silly as claiming there is a PARTICULAR WAY Presidential interviews ought to be conducted. So, I particularly thought this a farce, and looked forward instead to the President coming out to correct that nonsense.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by timbuktwo: 12:33am On Mar 19, 2011
^^^

unbelievable. on the day the country realised that of CinC is a lily-livered fairy, you are still trying to defend him. it's people like you that keep this country in the dark.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 12:33am On Mar 19, 2011
Someone should ask the mooron that gave such lame excuse on FB if ABC is owned by the US govt. Or if Skynews or ITV decided to hold a Presidential debate, the PM will not turn up.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Newscaster: 12:35am On Mar 19, 2011
NN24 is seen only on cable in Nigeria - it doesnt have a national coverage - you have to be on DSTV to get it. How many people have DSTV in Nigeria?

Come on. Use your brain cells.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Nobody: 12:37am On Mar 19, 2011
Sagamite said:

Someone should ask the mooron that gave such lame excuse on FB if ABC is owned by the US govt. Or if Skynews or ITV decided to hold a Presidential debate, the PM will not turn up.

The PM won't just ''turn up'' because it's Sky or ITV. An awful lot of protocol and dealing would go into any decision made by the UK PM to attend a TV debate.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:39am On Mar 19, 2011
Newscaster:

NN24 is seen only on cable in Nigeria - it doesnt have a national coverage - you have to be on DSTV to get it. How many people have DSTV in Nigeria?

Come on. Use your brain cells.
Facebook is seen only ONLINE in Nigeria--- that has not stopped the president from using that as his MAJOR channel for reaching the Nigerian people.

I don't get the many excuses . . . really!
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 12:39am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

This was after accepting the NN24.

Which was their final position so i wonder why NN24 was then waiting for the president after this declaration.

Kobojunkie:

But there is NO SUCH THING as a traditional Platform for staging presidential debates in Nigeria. That statement is just as silly as claiming there is a PARTICULAR WAY Presidential interviews ought to be conducted. So, I particular thought this a farce

There actually has been a traditional platform and the new stations are just trying to steal the show, the link below explains the traditional platform and goodluck also came out with an official reply for skipping this debate as well.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-626791.0.html
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by sesman(m): 12:40am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

That's fair enough, if he had already previously stated that he will not attend NN24's debate then perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by timbuktwo: 12:41am On Mar 19, 2011
ROSSIKE:

timbuktwo said:

Oh do shut up. For your information, MANY Nigerians DO support PDP for all sorts of reasons, not least because MANY Nigerians have seen their living standards RISE under the PDP govt. Many Nigerians have actually done WELL under this govt. I know it's hard for you to accept that, but it's the cold hard TRUTH. Now bugger off.

aha. another PDP apologist. let me guess, your daddy is a commissioner for one of the Governors, si? i'm right, aren't i??
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Newscaster: 12:41am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Facebook is seen only ONLINE in Nigeria--- that has not stopped the president from using that as his MAJOR channel for reaching the Nigerian people.

I don't get the many excuses  . . . really!

LOL. U compare the number of people on Facebook to the number of DSTV subscribers.

Come back home.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 12:43am On Mar 19, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Sagamite said:

The PM won't just ''turn up'' because it's Sky or ITV. An awful lot of protocol and dealing would go into any decision made by the UK PM to attend a TV debate.

And what amount of protocol did he need to attend a debate he knew about for over 2 months?

How come the protocol did not prevent him for finding time to be interviewed by Dbanj at short notice?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by timbuktwo: 12:44am On Mar 19, 2011
what's this nonsense about there being a "tradition" of holding presidential debates on a particular platform how many bloomin presidential debates have there been in this country and yet people are talking about tradition!!  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:45am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

There actually has been a traditional platform and the new stations are just trying to steal the show, the link below explains the traditional platform and goodluck also came out with an official reply for skipping this debate as well.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-626791.0.html

No, we do not have a traditional platform . . . BON has simply been involved in organizing some past debates. that does not now make them the one and only group that can. I can't believe you are even swallowing this up. NO one Organization out there HAS THE SOLE RIGHTS on presidential debates. That is against what these debates really represent.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by blacksta(m): 12:45am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I don't get the many excuses  . . . really!

GBAM  - sTop wasting your time with these people .    they cant reason. I have heard excuses but this latest one is the greatest of all.

Anyway foul yansh will be exposed after election day.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Nobody: 12:46am On Mar 19, 2011
And what amount of protocol did he need to attend a debate he knew about for over 2 months?

The issue is not the time frame. The issue is protocol. Under what authority are NN24 hosting a presidential debate? These things can be easily rigged to favour one side or the other, so not just anyone can call a presidential debate because they run a tv station.

How come the protocol did not prevent him for finding time to be interviewed by Dbanj at short notice?

An interview is not a presidential debate.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:47am On Mar 19, 2011
Newscaster:

LOL. U compare the number of people on Facebook to the number of DSTV subscribers.

Come back home.

The above are not from my mind but from yours. I suggest you re-read to understand the response better.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by timbuktwo: 12:51am On Mar 19, 2011
regardless of what you two guys are saying on here the whole world is agog with gej's no show. just twitter goodluck jonathan or go to his facebook face and you'll see what REAL nigerians are thinking. grin grin grin grin

some people on here are so out of touch with reality.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:52am On Mar 19, 2011
. . . NO one group has SOLE RIGHTS to PRESIDENTIAL Debates . . . that is UNHEARD OF.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Newscaster: 12:53am On Mar 19, 2011
timbuk two:

regardless of what you two guys are saying on here the whole world is agog with gej's no show. just twitter goodluck jonathan or go to his facebook face and you'll see what REAL nigerians are thinking.  grin grin grin grin

some people on here are so out of touch with reality.

thats their opinion - just like others have the right to make theirs. Dont u know?

There are 21 Presidential candidates. Not 4. What will u say about others?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 12:54am On Mar 19, 2011
ROSSIKE:

The issue is not the time frame. The issue is protocol. Under what authority are NN24 hosting a presidential debate? These things can be easily rigged to favour one side or the other, so not just anyone can call a presidential debate because they run a tv station.

Rigged? How?

So the national broadcaster of an African nation is irriggable (if that is a word)?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

So NTA cannot rig in his favour considering he is in charge of appointing their bosses?

So what is his excuse?

"I prefer a station where I am the one that can rig?"  grin grin grin grin grin grin

What authority does a TV station need to host a presidential debate?

Which of the two stations is more likely to be riggable? The one where one of the candidates is Lord over their Lords (IN AFRICA) or the private one that it can be conjectured that it is likely susceptible to rigging?

ROSSIKE:

An interview is not a presidential debate.

So he had time?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mimiko, Nwanyanwu, Others In Anambra For Ubah’s Campaign Kick-off Thursday / 70% Nigerians Want Saraki To Resign Over Corruption Trial - Poll (Stats) / 2019: APC, PDP Face Cash Crunch For Campaigns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.