Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria (2890 Views)

22-yr-old Surrenders To Police After Killing Cousin Over Girlfriend / Terwase Akwaza, Benue Militant Leader Surrenders 84 Rifles To Government / Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by Kilode1: 3:23am On Mar 20, 2011
Neighbors Relieved At Fugitive Day Care Owner's Surrender

By Stephen Dean

POSTED: Saturday, March 19, 2011

HOUSTON -- People who live near the day care where four children died expressed relief over the surrender of fugitive day care owner Jessica Tata, Local 2 Investigates reported Saturday.

Relatives of the 22-year-old day care owner told U.S. Marshals that she surrendered to a U.S. Embassy in Nigeria, a fact that her mother confirmed for Local 2 Investigates.

The family stopped answering calls or knocks at their door around Noon at their home near Katy.

News of the surrender caused visible sighs of relief for those closest to the case.

"Thank God," said a woman who lives next door to the daycare. She declined to give her name.
"I was really hoping she would turn herself in and do the right thing," she said. "I'm glad to hear that. That's so awesome," said the neighbor, who added that it should provide closure to the victims' families and the daycare's neighbors.

Another neighbor who helped to console Tata as the fire was burning and children were dying said, "That's nice to know she turned herself in. I'm glad she's in custody, I think everybody is."

She also declined to provide her name since she is expected to be called to testify at Tata's trial. She said Tata, on the day of the fire, was terribly sad and shaken up and she "made it worse by leaving."

An expert on extradition treaties with Nigeria, University of Houston Law School Professor Jordan Paust said Tata will have to waive all of her rights to extradition under Nigerian law in order to return to Houston quickly.

"You don't arrest her, but will she consent to coming back? And she may not know about rights that she might have under Nigerian law, and I don't know if it's our duty to tell her her rights under Nigerian law," said Paust, who added that US Embassy officials are only required to inform her of international laws.

He said Tata cannot be arrested in Nigeria unless that government agrees, so he expected embassy officials to try to urge her to waive her extradition rights in order to send her back to Houston quickly.

Federal officials told Local 2 Investigates they were hoping to have Tata returned to Houston by Tuesday.

Professor Paust suggested that any lawyer involved in her criminal defense in Houston may challenge the manner in which her rights to formal extradition proceedings were avoided.

Even if she signs a full waiver of extradition, Paust said that could be challenged if she surrendered to the US to avoid a lynch mob in Nigeria.

The Harris County District Attorney's office declined comment, saying prosecutors have not yet been formally notified that she is in custody or returning to Houston. Houston Fire Department leaders provided no immediate comment.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/27251235/detail.html
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:32am On Mar 20, 2011
I am glad she decided to do the right thing.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by Kilode1: 3:34am On Mar 20, 2011
Ministers, Jackson Lee urge Tata to return
By PAIGE HEWITT
Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
March 13, 2011, 8:09PM

Chronicle

The Rev. Felix Awotula joins Pastor Yemi Ayodele, second from left, and Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee at a news conference Sunday to plead for fugitive Jessica Rene Tata to turn herself in.

A congresswoman and Nigerian ministers pleaded Sunday for 22-year-old Jessica Rene Tata to return to Houston to face charges in the fire that killed four toddlers at her west Houston day care last month.

"Bring your loved one home," U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee said at a news conference Sunday, directing her comments at Tata's family, who did not attend the event.

Nigerian authorities are cooperating in the search and the U.S. Marshals Service has investigators on the ground in Nigeria, she said. Finding Tata will be challenging as Nigeria is a large country with virtually endless places to hide, she added.

Unless Tata, a U.S. citizen with family in Nigeria, voluntarily returns, authorities would be forced to seek extradition in the courts, a process that could take years, delaying closure for the young victims' families, Jackson Lee said.

The congresswoman thanked Tata's family here in Houston for donating money to help the victims' families, but urged them to do more by appealing to the 22-year-old, now among the most wanted American fugitives.

"Bring her home to these faith leaders," she said. "They will be with you through the process. They have been praying for the victims, but they also have been

praying for you and Jessica. Everyone needs closure. "

Ministers pledged to provide support to Tata and her family if she returns to Houston.

"How long can she live like this? There can be no closure for Jessica as long as she is on the run," said Tina Edebor, a minister.

From another Nigerian minister, Laba Odiri: "She (Tata) cannot undo what has been done. We all must move forward."

Authorities allege Tata left something cooking on the stove and went to a Target store, leaving seven preschoolers alone at her in-home day care, Jackie's Child Care.

Neighbors saw Tata pull into her driveway and open the front door. Smoke billowed out and Tata screamed for help.
Four of the children died; three others were injured.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7470791.html

I'm proud of the Nigerian Community in that city for showing empathy while handling a difficult situation, another example of how decent Nigerians can be in an atmosphere of justice, fairness and equity.

MODs can move this to the crime section it they wish. . . My bad
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by ekubear1: 3:38am On Mar 20, 2011
Interesting. I wonder what caused her to change her mind (stay in hiding vs. surrender).
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by Kilode1: 3:44am On Mar 20, 2011
^^ If she can get a good lawyer, considering her age, crime record, and good testimonies from the community and some of the victim's families ( I read one of the parents calling the incident a sad mistake) she can get a reduced sentence, serve a few years and come out to live a full good life.

She is still young at 22, She did the right thing, it's not easy to live like a fugitive James Ibori all your life. . . especially when you are a poor nobody.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 3:59am On Mar 20, 2011
Kilode?!:

^^ If she can get a good lawyer, considering her age, crime record, and good testimonies from the community and some of the victim's families ( I read one of the parents calling the incident a sad mistake) she can get a reduced sentence, serve a few years and come out to live a full good life.

She is still young at 22, She did the right thing, it's not easy to live like a fugitive James Ibori all your life. . . especially when you are a poor nobody.

Are you on crack?

Do you live in America?

Her life is over. Simple!
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 4:01am On Mar 20, 2011
If I were in her shoes, no surrender!
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by ekubear1: 4:20am On Mar 20, 2011
Her life is over.

Upon leaving jail, she will be unemployable. No employability, or minimum wage job employability in America = sh1tty life.

Best choice would have been to stay in Nigeria, create a new identity and start a new life there.

Also, it doesn't look as if she is a poor nobody? I thought she is connected to some wealthy folk in Port Harcourt area.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 4:24am On Mar 20, 2011
Exactly!

She knew that already, dunno why she surrendered.

She must have been prevailed upon by people like Kilode? who do not have a good understanding of what she is facing. I'd rather die in Nigeria than surrender. Worst case scenario, she wont be able to come back in.

Bad call on her part
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by ekubear1: 4:30am On Mar 20, 2011
By the time she is gets out of jail, she'll be in her 30s.

What life is there in America for a 30+ year old convict with no college education who is hated like this:

Believed to be in Nigeria, Tata, who lied about her juvenile record on her registration application and then pocketed a few thousand in subsidies, has caused a rift between the Houston arson investigators and the DA's Office, and has the citizenry screaming for blood.
Nowhere is this clearer than on two Facebook pages, "Jessica Tata should be burned alive," and "Against Jessica Tata." If you're unsure about which one to join, but you wholeheartedly believe that Tata's "uterus and ovaries should be removed and destroyed first," then you'll want the former. The latter's mission is "to find, arrest and make Jessica face the wrath of the Law." (That page also "likes" Victoria's Secret and the Astros).
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/03/daycare_fire_facebook.php

If it were me, I'd have stayed in naija.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by Kilode1: 4:45am On Mar 20, 2011
Fstanger and eku_bear calm down, I did not smoke Igbo. .

She can't run for ever, the girl is as Nigerian as Britney Spears, if all I've read about her is true. . .

A Voodoo priest  and her lover burnt their apartment while performing rituals with some lighted candles in New York a few weeks ago and an old lady neighbor died in the inferno, last time I read the story, The New York police Department stated they can't charge them with anything because it's an accident.

Yes, This girl was negligent and she lives in Texas, so I know it will be a bit difficult for her, but there is nothing community goodwill, great criminal defense, plenty good witnesses and a sympathetic jury cannot do in America.

She did not sell drugs, neither did she set out to murder the kids.

The only problem she might have will be the lady DA who felt embarrassed after she ran, and she was criticized for being slow to build a case, and that might work in her favor actually.

Yes, She made a mistake by bolting to Naija, she was young, scared, confused and encouraged by older family memebers to run. she can get  way with a few years, she surrendered to the US embassy all by herself folks.

Keep following the story folks, Justice in America is not black and white. a good defense lawyer can convince God to open the gates of heaven for Lucifer.

--I think this girl needs to hire me ASAP-- cool
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 4:48am On Mar 20, 2011
Kilode?!:

Fstanger and eku_bear calm down, I did not smoke Igbo. .

She can't run for ever, the girl is as Nigerian as Britney Spears, if all I've read about her is true. . .

A Voodoo priest  and her lover burnt their apartment while performing rituals with some lighted candles in New York a few weeks ago and an old lady neighbor died in the inferno, last time I read the story, The New York police Department stated they can't charge them with anything because it's an accident.

Yes, This girl was negligent and she lives in Texas, so I know it will be a bit difficult for her, but there is nothing community goodwill, great criminal defense, plenty good witnesses and a sympathetic jury cannot do in America.

She did not sell drugs, neither did she set out to murder the kids.

The only problem she might have will be the lady DA who felt embarrassed after she ran, and she was criticized for being slow to build a case, and that might work in her favor actually.
--Tata needs to hire me--
Yes, She made a mistake by bolting to Naija, she was young, scared, confused and encouraged by older family memebers to run. she can get  way with a few years, she surrendered to the US embassy all by herself folks.
Keep following the story folks, Justice in America is not black and white. a good defense lawyer can convince God to open the gates of heaven for Lucifer.
--I think this girl needs to hire me ASAP-- cool

Sorry, I dont think you know what you are talking about.!
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by ekubear1: 4:50am On Mar 20, 2011
Maybe you are right.

Probably they hired a lawyer and he gave her similar advice.

lol @ the Britney Spears reference grin grin grin
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by Kilode1: 4:51am On Mar 20, 2011
fstranger3:

Sorry, I dont think you know what you are talking about.!

^^ OK make we dey watch am. . .
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 5:01am On Mar 20, 2011
Her life is over, due to the fact that she ran.

Public opinion is against her, and remember that she will be "judged by a jury of her peers."
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 5:05am On Mar 20, 2011
EzeUche_:

Her life is over, due to the fact that she ran.

Public opinion is against her, and remember that she will be "j[b]udged by a jury of her peers."[/b]

Jury of her peers my arse

Jury thats going to be made up of predominantly white people in Texas. . . and you call that "jury of her peers"

You have to be kidding me! Not even carson could help her in this situation!

Even Abdulmuttalab that did not kill anyone is bound to spend the rest of his life in jail, let alone someone that killed 4 people.

Kilode? is very funny, I tell ya
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by Kilode1: 5:13am On Mar 20, 2011
^^ LOL

Don't be too sure though, Houston has a very vibrant, influential Nigerian community, a defense lawyer with a choice to pick jurors will know that too.

Fstranger, If na you "Ife boy" and you decided to come back, I will definitely question your sanity wink

That girl is like eku_bear, too yankee to survive in Nigeria tongue
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by ekubear1: 5:16am On Mar 20, 2011
Kilode?!:

Me? I am infinitely adaptable. Plop me in the middle of Afghanistan and I'll survive and prosper. . . not to talk of Nigeria  grin grin
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 5:18am On Mar 20, 2011
Kilode?!:

^^ LOL

Don't be too sure though, Houston has a very vibrant, influential Nigerian community, a defense lawyer with a choice to pick jurors will know that too.

Fstranger, If na you "Ife boy" and you decided to come back, I will definitely question your sanity wink

How many Nigerians are in Houston Vs. White people?

At most, there is a Nigerian on the jury. Most likely, there wont be any. Even if there is one, she has to vote along with others, else she'd be kicked off the jury. irrespective, this girl is phockeddd. She is not going to get a fair trial and there is no way she is going to have her life back. At the very least, she'd spend 25 yrs in jail.

Very unfortunate.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 5:18am On Mar 20, 2011
That is why I put in quotations "judged by a jury of her peers."

The Texas Court system is known not to be kind of blacks who committed lesser offences.

This young woman could possibly spend life in jail for the mere fact that she ran.

If I were here, I would have two choices. Either stay in Texas and plead for mercy, or fled to Nigeria and "disappear."
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 5:19am On Mar 20, 2011
eku_bear:

Me? I am infinitely adaptable. Plop me in the middle of Afghanistan and I'll survive and prosper. . . n[b]ot to talk of Nigeria[/b]  grin grin

I really doubt that! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 5:20am On Mar 20, 2011
eku_bear:

Me? I am infinitely adaptable. Plop me in the middle of Afghanistan and I'll survive and prosper. . . not to talk of Nigeria  grin grin

Liar! Liar!

The only way you would survive in Nigeria is if you are wealthy. Yankee accent would give you away.  grin

Some of these ajebutter children can't even survive without their parent's support.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by ekubear1: 5:22am On Mar 20, 2011
^-- Two hatin @ss niggas  grin grin grin
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 5:22am On Mar 20, 2011
Well said Eze.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 5:24am On Mar 20, 2011
Tata went shopping for a babalawo and didn't find a good one.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by Kilode1: 5:28am On Mar 20, 2011
@ Mazi Ezeuche, I agree with you my brother, Eku_bear will become food for Area boys and Mopol once he opens his mouth. tongue
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:32am On Mar 20, 2011
obowunmi:

Tata went shopping for a babalawo and didn't find a good one.

No amount of Juju work can take the guilt of what she let happen off her at the age of 22.

She needs to go face the consequence of her action. When she comes out she can easily move to a new state, maybe start a business or something and make for herself a good life. There are thousands of women across america who have been able to move beyond that past and she can too.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 5:35am On Mar 20, 2011
^^^^

Where is she going to get the money to start a new business?

And at what age?

her best option was not to surrender!
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by ekubear1: 5:36am On Mar 20, 2011
Pfft. O ye of little faith.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 5:37am On Mar 20, 2011
Kilode?!:

@ Mazi Ezeuche, I agree with you my brother, Eku_bear will become food for Area boys and Mopol once he opens his mouth. tongue

grin

Abuja should be his destination if he wants to live comfortably.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 5:39am On Mar 20, 2011
EzeUche_:

grin

Abuja should be his destination if he wants to live comfortably.

I hope he knows how to drink dirty kunu and suya made out of 3-day old rat! grin grin grin grin

@EKu_Bear, dont mind them jare, just pay me, I will live in Nigeria for you.
Re: Young Nigerian, Owner Of Burnt Day Care Surrenders In Nigeria by ekubear1: 5:55am On Mar 20, 2011
Truth be told, it is easier to turn a fixed amount of capital into something significant in Nigeria than it is where I live.

Most of the low-hanging fruit is gone here. Nigeria on the other hand, a lot of that fruit is still unplucked.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2 Police Van Burnt, Police Flee As Protest Turned Violent / Train Cuts Man Into Two At Ikeja Railway (graphic Photo) / Jubilation In Obowo As A Notorious Armed Robbery Stripped Unclad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.