Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks (12402 Views)

Haiti Joins African Union / African Union Should Withdraw From Somalia- From A Somali / African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by hbrednic: 10:43pm On Mar 20, 2011
Who listens to African Union,most them that've been in power 4 donkey yrs will soon get the Gaddafi treatment.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by sweet9ja: 10:58pm On Mar 20, 2011
Forget AU, who are they anyway?
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by sweet9ja: 11:01pm On Mar 20, 2011
Forget AU, who are they anyway?
Gadaffi has overstayed, he and his fellow clowns should go and leave the Libyan people in peace.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by Blazing99: 11:18pm On Mar 20, 2011
justwise:

Are you joking or what? Who are the rebels? I take your whole post as a bad joke anyway.

No I'm not joking. Please change ur Id, ur statements dont reflect the poster.

darkman200:

I wonder if some people like you actually understand what is going on. You probably didn't realize that the so called rebels were peaceful protesters that were being unnecessarily gunned down by Qaddafi's gun totting thugs, and as it is in all human natures, the instinct to survive and fight back kicked in and we are here we are today, Qaddafi is the terrorist and the so called rebels are the real Libyans, the opposition is made up of intellectuals and well respected members of the Libyan society compared to this lunatic and egomaniac Colonel and his sons.

Survivalists carry guns to fight the government when diplomacy is on the table. I agree Ghadaffi's forces were wrong to gun down the protesters. But this is not the only country where dat happened. Have u heard of what happened in Bahrain, where 2000 troops from Saudi arabia were imported to deal with protesters with many dead till date. U think if Bahrainians carry guns against their king and do the same that happened in East Libya, they won't be suppressed by killings? But there are better ways of solving situations rather than going on with violence and renouncing ur country's government. Diplomacy is on the table, that's what im advocating for. Violence never yields good.

On the opposition, please remember Libya is a Nation of about 7 million people. The population of the East where the revolt is going on are less than 2 million. So you wanna tell me those who are not fighting Ghadaffi are dumb?
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by ideylaff: 11:18pm On Mar 20, 2011
Residents in the city of Benghaz were hours away from being
assaulted by Gaddafi's troop. If not for the intervention of the Allies forces
God knows what would have happened.
Imagine Gaddafi telling his own citizens that he will have no mercy.
And the AU sat there doing nothing,
Now they want to feel important.
I am tired of African leaders,

Abii oooo, Person don rule for over 40 years, wetin remain, as far as I know , i think Gadaffi is disturbed upstairs,

if you don't want the foreigners  to intervene/have any dealings with them, why keep all you stolen money in their country as well, he cant have his cake and eat it at the same time

All his kids houses are in London and all and yet den wan dey do yanga 4 them, you need to see the list, you will laff @ how foolish African Leaders are,

Not backing Military action but in this case, its worth it,

4 AU to be talking Dollars must have changed hands, (small change, ) oooo, shameless bunch, they have always bn Gadaffis dogs anyway,

As much as the Western World are guilty for providing him arms and all over the years, still does not justify tyranny and forceful rule over your people

see wetin we dey do awa selves for Jos, is the western world responsible for that

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208434/Gaddafi-son-buys-10m-Hampstead-mansion.html
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by justwise(m): 11:23pm On Mar 20, 2011
Blazing99:

No I'm not joking. Please change your Id, your statements dont reflect the poster.

So the diplomas who resigned are also rebels? Doctors and soldiers who joined the ant-Ghadaffi fighters are rebels? When will pple like u stop watching Ghadaffi controlled TV?
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by justwise(m): 11:26pm On Mar 20, 2011
Blazing99:

No I'm not joking. Please change your Id, your statements dont reflect the poster.

Survivalists carry guns to fight the government when diplomacy is on the table. I agree Ghadaffi's forces were wrong to gun down the protesters. But this is not the only country where dat happened. Have u heard of what happened in Bahrain, where 2000 troops from Saudi arabia were imported to deal with protesters with many dead till date. U think if Bahrainians carry guns against their king and do the same that happened in East Libya, they won't be suppressed by killings? But there are better ways of solving situations rather than going on with violence and renouncing your country's government. Diplomacy is on the table, that's what im advocating for. Violence never yields good.

On the opposition, please remember Libya is a Nation of about 7 million people. The population of the East where the revolt is going on are less than 2 million. So you wanna tell me those who are not fighting Ghadaffi are dumb?
You are really a strange man, so pple should keep quiet as they are been killed by their govt? Do you really have a heart?
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by Remii(m): 11:26pm On Mar 20, 2011
I think enforcing "no Fly Zone" should mean ensure "nothing flies", why are all the war planes in the world heading towards Libya , flying over the country freely and dropping bombs over so called targets, killing innocent souls. One would think that they would shoot down Gadaffi plane if they tried to break the "no fly rule". Arab leaders have been deceived again with "Oyinbo".
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by justwise(m): 11:32pm On Mar 20, 2011
Remii:

I think enforcing "no Fly Zone" should mean ensure "nothing flies", why are all the war planes in the world heading towards Libya , flying over the country freely and dropping bombs over so called targets, killing innocent souls. One would think that they would shoot down Gadaffi plane if they tried to break the "no fly rule". Arab leaders have been deceived again with "Oyinbo".
No-Fly-Zone also mean protecting the planes from been shot at by Ghadaffi's ant-aircraft, no-fly-zone can't work with Ghadaffi's defence capabilities still active. The Arab league called for No-fly-Zone b4 the UN stepped in.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by hbrednic: 11:37pm On Mar 20, 2011
Remii:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by justwise(m): 11:41pm On Mar 20, 2011
Remii:

grin grin grin grin i did not see that!!! This made my DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by jchuckc(m): 1:23am On Mar 21, 2011
I guess they shld let their jets be shot down by Ghadafi's surface to air missiles, doesnt make sense to me. Wonder how people will come to this forum and support a psychotic egotistical despot, that refers to his people as rats. As for the AU leaders, they're bankrolled by the despot and as such their stand doesnt come as a surprise, those guys wld sell their mothers for oil money. SMH.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by eddyjams(f): 2:30am On Mar 21, 2011
Or What?
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by Nobody: 2:41am On Mar 21, 2011
kodewrita said:

So you mean rising oil prices benefit the West? Western countries already harvest the bulk of libyan oil. Its actually more profitable to leave ghadaffi there than to handover to a more patriotic government elected by Libyan voters.

In an attempt to justify rabid hatred of the West, people support all manner of things. You dont mind having a dictator kill his people as long as he makes the right noises about imperialism and resisting the invaders

No, YOU don't get it. ''The West'' is not some homogeneous entity. You have elements in the western elite led by the international banking cartel and western military/industrial complex who sponsor the main political parties and hence, control western politicians. These cartels are the ones that benefit from high oil prices in the west. So it's a scam being played even on the western masses.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by OBEHIOYE(m): 4:44am On Mar 21, 2011
didn't you all see what he was doing to his "own" people? What has oil or white, black, colonisation got to do with it.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by loco2no(m): 7:12am On Mar 21, 2011
I love my Country no B small. I LOVE NIGERIA. I always make time to read people's comments, not going to judge anyone in particular but some where pretty dumb. That is democracy, people are free to write whatever they want but the big difference b/w us and developed countries is simply ACTIONS SPEAKS LOUDER VOICE. IF we can act on 30% of our voices, this country will b a Great Nation.
250 tribes and languages living as 1 nation no b small thing o.Since we have not managed to kill ourselves this far, to me we are the best nation on planet earth grin
LONG LIVE NIGERIA! LONG LIVE MY COUNTRY!! E GO BETTER!!!
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by eghost247(m): 7:15am On Mar 21, 2011
loco2no:

I love my Country no B small. I LOVE NIGERIA. I always make time to read people's comments, not going to judge anyone in particular but some where pretty dumb. That is democracy, people are free to write whatever they want but the big difference b/w us and developed countries is simply ACTIONS SPEAKS LOUDER VOICE. IF we can act on 30% of our voices, this country will b a Great Nation.
250 tribes and languages living as 1 nation no b small thing o.Since we have not managed to kill ourselves this far, to me we are the best nation on planet earth grin
LONG LIVE NIGERIA! LONG LIVE MY COUNTRY!! E GO BETTER!!!
Long Live NIGERIA
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by ncpat(m): 8:18am On Mar 21, 2011
this is my opinion in libya crisis, let say the fact here, some of the people are of the opinion that gaddafi should step down from power after a long time in,yes good and fine, they should have demonstrated that by marching on the street and not by carrying weapon fighting against the government of the day making them to be called rebels, now we all know that rebel is a bad name so why is the western supporting rebel now, every body knows their interest is the libyan oil so united nation expect rebels with weapon who chase government security and was killing them in order to chase gaddafi out so gaddafi should fold his hands and watch them, no, if there is nobody behind this why did`nt they behave like their egyptian and tunisian neighbour . now africa expecially nigeria the giant of africa, which african nation is better than libya in terms of good living and income, since the crisis began, i have not seen any one complain of poverty or unemployment, all the people i have been seeing were all living fine, i heard that every libyan citizens collect salary, well someone should tell me if i`m going wrong, they only complain that they don`t have freedom of speech to critised gaddafi, we all know that all over the world u can not talk against government of the day, you have job, live in a good house drive nice car,good water and steady power supply and that is not enough, you want to change government that will say no more payment of salary to you if you are not working. here in my country you will work for ten years and you cannot afford to buy a car not to talk of building your own house, what i`m happy for gaddafi for is that nobody have accused him of corruption so libyan take my advice and let the sleeping dog to lie
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by justwise(m): 8:36am On Mar 21, 2011
ncpat:

this is my opinion in libya crisis, let say the fact here, some of the people are of the opinion that gaddafi should step down from power after a long time in,yes good and fine, they should have demonstrated that by marching on the street and not by carrying weapon fighting against the government of the day making them to be called rebels, now we all know that rebel is a bad name so why is the western supporting rebel now, every body knows their interest is the libyan oil so united nation expect rebels with weapon who chase government security and was killing them in order to chase gaddafi out so gaddafi should fold his hands and watch them, no, if there is nobody behind this why did`nt they behave like their egyptian and tunisian neighbour . now africa expecially nigeria the giant of africa, which african nation is better than libya in terms of good living and income, since the crisis began, i have not seen any one complain of poverty or unemployment, all the people i have been seeing were all living fine, i heard that every libyan citizens collect salary, well someone should tell me if i`m going wrong, they only complain that they don`t have freedom of speech to critised gaddafi, we all know that all over the world u can not talk against government of the day, you have job, live in a good house drive nice car,good water and steady power supply and that is not enough, you want to change government that will say no more payment of salary to you if you are not working. here in my country you will work for ten years and you cannot afford to buy a car not to talk of building your own house, what i`m happy for gaddafi for is that nobody have accused him of corruption so libyan take my advice and let the sleeping dog to lie
ncpat how old are you?
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by eghost247(m): 8:38am On Mar 21, 2011
justwise:

ncpat how old are you?
lol at justwise what do u mean by that now lol
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by justwise(m): 8:56am On Mar 21, 2011
eghost247:

lol at justwise what do u mean by that now lol

I don't think he is old enough to think for himself.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by OJOnuh: 9:16am On Mar 21, 2011
@justwise sorry bo! no laugh oh! Just got to know that i have to open the pages. I posted a reply and when i joined the room i couldn't see the reply making me to post same over and over again.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by eghost247(m): 9:17am On Mar 21, 2011
O.J Onuh:

@justwise sorry bo! no laugh oh! Just got to know that i have to open the pages. I posted a reply and when i joined the room i couldn't see the reply making me to post same over and over again.
could u exlpain yourself over again
finding it diffcult to figure what your talking about
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by DeeJay20: 9:50am On Mar 21, 2011
Chyz*:

The AU has been very vocal in the Ivory Coast issue.I'm surprised you are even insinuating that they did/are doing nothing. The tragedy of what is going on in Ivory Coast is due to the interference of the EU and UN in the elections. I am shocked at your statement. You are Igbo as am I. You should be aware that the same thing the the "international community" a.k.a. western powers are doing in Ivory Coast and Libya is the same thing they did to us during the civil war which caused millions of us to die. You should be ashamed of yourself. Were the "rebels" helped then by the west? Please open your eyes.

CO-SIGN, they is the pure truth of the matter,
A NO-FLY Zone means that if Libya planes take of, then they should be
grounded by force, but what are they doing. they are bombing
Libya Air Bases!!! Is this the thing to do?

This is going to cause the North Africans/Arabs to have a change
of mind about this whole issue. Because like Pakistan they could be next!!!
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by justwise(m): 9:53am On Mar 21, 2011
O.J Onuh:

No prob.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by Dreamchaser1(f): 9:55am On Mar 21, 2011
I have been watching CNN all day and I haven't heard the name Africa mentioned when they are talking about Libya. The only name I hear is Arab. So IMO Libya is not considered an African country by this ppl so what is the AU's point? Well I still believe that the US and co are have wounds that have refused to heal, hence the attack on libya. They should go to Bahrain (home of a us military base) and Ivory coast (which has no oil), until then I dey laugh in arabic! Mean while, we can't afford to ve another Iraq iin this continent.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by DeeJay20: 10:02am On Mar 21, 2011
Builder:

It is absolutely crazy for anyone to think the west are in libya to fight for democrazy or the rights of libyans,  the west in their corrupt wisedom are in libya for the obvious which is oil, in as much as i despise Ghadafi and his sons the west actions are reminiscense of iraq. Afterall, its it the west arming the rebels of libya with weapons of all sorts to sort out Gadafi, and when they fail to succeed David Cameron decided to join patnership with france et al at the UN to bomb God knows what.

Noam Chomsky said so himself in a recent BBC interview, In the quest for oil and power, the US and its allies will pull out the stops to prevent any really functioning democrazy from developing in the arab world

Its good to see the the rebels in Libya happy, i just hope their happiness last, before the NATO bombs starts crushing them, and God knows what will happen when the bombs eventualy stops,  the weapons supplied to the rebels by the west and suicide bombing then take over,   why the world is sooo forgetful about the happenings in iraq baffles me a great deal. Like a great mind once said, we live in a beautiful world but ugly souls press the button.

And with regards to the AU, i rest my case

PS. To understand more on what happened in iraq and libya, this film says it all     www.zeitgeistaddendum.com

THANK YOU BUILDER, EVERY POLITCAL DECISION HAS ECONOMIC
BENEFIT WRITTEN BEHIND IT,
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by DeeJay20: 10:08am On Mar 21, 2011
justwise:

Is America  invading  Libya now? America refused to get involved untill the UN sactioned it. Is not America that started shelling innocent Libyans, its not America that used African mercenaries to slaughter his own pple. I ask again: What has the AU done when all these were going on?

JUstwise, Justwise, of all people i would expect you to have a calmer head,
this situation that has developed it not good for Libya, Africa or
the wider world as a whole.

It started out as protest and then the protesters were given weapons by whom

More People are dying now because of these so-called No-fly zone air-strikes which
is just a blank cheque to bomb any part of Libya as the EU/NATO/USA desire.

Let us all be sober and mature in our comments here as our
back-yard is being bombed and could well set an *uncalled fore Precedent*
in Africa,
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by DeeJay20: 10:14am On Mar 21, 2011
solajacobs:

i wonder what the african union were doing when gadafi was killing his people,

The Bharanian Military are shooting/killing their own people to put down the
protest, and what is the EU/USA doing about that? Go on youtube and see
people being slaughtered by the Bharanian  Military, Stop
having selective myopia and see the wider picture.
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by DeeJay20: 10:19am On Mar 21, 2011
deji.ariyo:

Tell me one single country America has invaded and brought change in favour of the citizens of the said Nation??

Brother dont bother waiting for a reply as all the "Air-heads" on this
forum can not give you a single country that has benefited from an Invasion or
Air strike by USA.

In Politics their is no Permanent Friends but Permanent Interest! All the Arab
Nations are aware of this and the Bombing of Libya is just another reminder to them
that things have not changed since Iraq, Afghanistan etc,
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by justwise(m): 10:21am On Mar 21, 2011
DeeJay20:

JUstwise, Justwise, of all people i would expect you to have a calmer head,
this situation that has developed it not good for Libya, Africa or
the wider world as a whole.

It started out as protest and then the protesters were given weapons by whomMore People are dying now because of these so-called No-fly zone air-strikes whichis just a blank cheque to bomb any part of Libya as the EU/NATO/USA desire.
Let us all be sober and mature in our comments here as our
back-yard is being bombed and could well set an *uncalled fore Precedent*
in Africa,
Who started shooting the protesters? How many pple died BEFORE the UN came in? So u think its cool for innocent pple to die cos they wanted a change of govt?
Re: African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks by justwise(m): 10:22am On Mar 21, 2011
DeeJay20:

The Bharanian Military are shooting/killing their own people to put down the
protest, and what is the EU/USA doing about that? Go on youtube and see
people being slaughtered by the Bharanian Military, Stop
having selective myopia and see the wider picture.

So what do u want the EU/USA to do?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

George Alexander Louis Is The Name Of The Royal Baby / Top 15 Countries With The Highest Population In The World. / Very Graphic: Woman Suspected Of Being An Informant Butchered LIVE ON CAMERA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.