Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:53 AM

Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? (4216 Views)

Earn Money Online, Free Dating Site, Free Social Networking Site, / Best Nigerian Social Networking Sites / Nigerian Social Networking Sites (legwork Vs Naijapals.com Vs Onlinenigeria.com) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? by evergie(m): 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2007
I want to go for IT course but i dont either to go for networking or software engr. please help me in making a good choice as a pro.
Re: Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? by SmartK1(m): 4:50pm On Sep 11, 2007
What do you mean by 'better'? In terms of ease of learning, income generation, job availability, durability, etc or what. Please let us know.
Re: Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? by Tokorie: 8:51pm On Sep 12, 2007
My BEST advice to you is to go for the one you have "REAL" passion for. It is one thing to make money in IT but if you really want to select a career in IT, you are best choosing an area you really have a zeal for, that way you actually are better able to handle all the continued work you would need to do to keep up. There are so many IT folks out there who got in cause it was the "IN THING" a while back and when the bubble burst, they found themselves thrown out cause they could not keep up with the changes that were needed to remain competitive in the sector.

Pick up a book or two on NETWORKING and even on PROGRAMMING and kind of spend sometime getting into each and then you can better decide which area better suites you. To be honest, which ever you decide is the one you have greater passion for is the one that I would say is BETTER for you. I mean it is possible to make a lot of money in coding but if you are not passionate about coding , you will not make it. Same with Networking.

Tokorie,

.NET Web/Software Engineer
Re: Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? by evergie(m): 8:16am On Sep 13, 2007
@ tokorie

Thanks for your advice. can i get your mail ID? evergie@hotmail.com
Re: Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? by brume2020: 2:51pm On Oct 23, 2007
Evergie,

As alluded to by the earlier poster only YOU can tell which is better for you. Both are very exciting and it is in fact possible and very profitable to intertwine both i.e. develop networking software which requires knowledge of both software engineering and network architecture.

IMHO you need to have a bit of an appreciation for what each entails and try to see if you have required qualities that endear you to nuture and develop a sustained level of interest in your choice(in summary a passion for your choice). Both require the following (basic) among other qualities:-

- innovation
- creativity
- vrey strong commitment to continuous learning/education due to the rapid change/evolution in the underlying technology.
- determination and perseverance
- inborn logical problem solving ability

Prior to taking a decision, it may be in your best interests to discuss with several current practising Network Engineers and Software engineers to garner relevant information about their opinions/experience in practise. e.g.

How does their actual experience (i.e challenges faced and opportunites afforded) align with the dreams and aspirations they had at the start of their careers.? etc.

One other thing, if you have already limited your career choices to either of the 2 and are inwardly convinced that you will definitely proceed with one of them, it may be possible to defer your branch-off/specialization decision by at least one year. i.e. go for Computer science in your first year(same courses are taken in 1st year), take that time to get more of an appreciation (from senior students, lecturers etc) for both and then select your specialization in the 2nd year. Some schools operate in that manner. You need to find out from the schools you are considering if this is possible.

all the best,

Brume
Re: Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? by kpomkwem(m): 8:30pm On Oct 23, 2007
I think you should go for networking. Software changes all the time (so do their requirements), so you might be real good at developing a particular software today, but tomorrow your skills go become extinct. I mastered Visual Basic 6 years ago, but no one uses them these days, since everyone's going .NET crazy.
Networking involves communication amongst computers (and other devices). That concept never changes - the way they communicate may change, but the concept remains the same. It's easier to master and catch up to changes in network technology than to catch up to constantly changing software development standards.

But if you still want to do software engineering, then you should check out web application development (building software that runs on the web), since they are more popular because of being platform independent (runs on any web browser on any operating system).

This is my own opinion o, just to clarify. Just something to think about in deciding which way to go.

Hope this helps.
Re: Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? by topeteadr(m): 10:58pm On Oct 23, 2007
Both are good.
Re: Software Engneering And Networking Engrneering Which Is Better? by Ivvie: 8:48am On Feb 15, 2008
|

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Romance Section Hottest Female Awards! ( Vote To Decide ) / Free Activation And Free Product Key For Window7 Professinal 32bit / Who Knows About Standard Atlantic Resources?? Do You Have Interview As Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.