Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? (2045 Views)

Un Security Council Votes For No Fly Zone And Establishment Of Safe Zones In Lib / Breaking News: A No Fly- Zone Has Been Passed On Libya By Un / Libya No Fly Zone Cannot Be Us-led Says Clinton (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 3:05pm On Mar 20, 2011
Breaking News - Arab League now backs Gaddafi?

Arab League criticises Western strikes on Libya (AFP)

20 March 2011, 5:55 PMCAIRO - Arab League on Sunday criticised Western military strikes on Libya, a week after urging the United Nations to slap a no-fly zone on the oil-rich North African state.

“What has happened in Libya differs from the goal of imposing a no-fly zone and what we want is the protection of civilians and not bombing other civilians,” Arab League secretary general Amr Mussa told reporters.

On March 12, the Arab League urged the United Nations to impose a no-fly zone on Libya and said Moamer Kadhafi’s regime had “lost legitimacy” as it sought to snuff out a rebellion designed to oust him from power.

In the West’s biggest intervention in the Arab world since the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq, US warships and a British submarine fired more than 120 Tomahawk cruise missiles into Libya on Saturday, the US military said.

French warplanes also carried out strikes.

The UN Security Council passed Resolution 1973 on Thursday authorising military action to prevent Kadhafi’s forces from attacking civilians.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 3:06pm On Mar 20, 2011
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Autolord: 3:09pm On Mar 20, 2011
Na lie.Post the source/link.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by jaybee3(m): 3:10pm On Mar 20, 2011
bunch of retards always humping on their Superior's backs
Didn't they know of the ulterior motives before supporting it?
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by ekubear1: 3:13pm On Mar 20, 2011
Arab league are flipflopping b1tches.

What the hell did you think a no fly zone meant?!
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 3:15pm On Mar 20, 2011
Will the US/UN listen to their enemies 'Allies' and cease operations?
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by KnowAll(m): 3:18pm On Mar 20, 2011
I think they got scared when only the US sent in about 70 or is it 100 Tomahawk  missiles. That looks like an over-kill. In Yoruba they say " kini mo ji, kilo ju" which literally means " wetin I steal wetin u throw on me.(throw here means a tyre round someone's neck for stealing the most mundane and infinite thing.)
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Autolord: 3:22pm On Mar 20, 2011
Please this is a [size=30pt]GREAT LIE[/size]
Post the link
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 3:28pm On Mar 20, 2011
The link has already been posted 'Doubting Thomas'
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by biachwest: 3:37pm On Mar 20, 2011
no fly zone was presented by the arab organisation to the united nations and was aproved by every member country.
so therefore the milatary operation is legit.

what the arab league secretary meant was that the opretion must be selective.that is to say that civilian casualties must be avoided.

and this come up because gadafe is saying and ofcurse lying that there was civilian casualties,but this is his way.he lied.
turkey,uae,saudi arabia,quatar has announced sending figther jets today to join the international organisation on the operation.

the only body that has pronounced seize fire is the african union.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 3:42pm On Mar 20, 2011
I further understand that their main complaint is that civilians are being bombarded by rockets and missiles.

110 missiles in one night is not being very selective.

Many have died or are injured.

The Arab league seems to be trying to minimise the amount of blood on their hands.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Bastage: 3:47pm On Mar 20, 2011
Sun of god:

110 missiles in one night is not being very selective.

110 missiles is very selective.
Those 110 were Cruise Missiles. The most precise, selective weapon that there is. And let's make no mistake - if the West wanted to be non-selective, it could turn Libya into an even bigger desert by releasing a barrage of weapons that would utterly destroy the Gaddafi regime in minutes.

Arab League complaining is nothing new. They forget that they were the ones originally calling for the No-Fly zone. Now that it's in place, they will blame the West. It's the usual Arab tactic - start the trouble and blame someone else.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by damas11111(m): 3:49pm On Mar 20, 2011
^^^^^^^^ @biachwest

What a ridiculous thing to say! There are more than 60 civilian casualities already. Do you have access to news channels like CNN, Al-Jazeera or BBC? It is all over there, go and check.

It will be an act of idiocy for anyone to believe that the West means well for Africa or any country that fails to kowtow to their desires. What is going on in Libya right now is double-standard at best. A case of "give a dog a bad name in order to hang it". Why have they not sent their tanks and warships to Bahrain, Yemen, Cote-d'voire ? Likely because there is no oil to die for in Yemen and Ivory coast and the Emir in Bahrain has being playing his games according to their dictates.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 3:52pm On Mar 20, 2011
What a ridiculous thing to say! There are more than 60 civilian casualities already. Do you have access to news channels like CNN, Al-Jazeera or BBC? It is all over there, go and check.

It will be an act of idiocy for anyone to believe that the West means well for Africa or any country that fails to kowtow to their desires. What is going on in Libya right now is double-standard at best. A case of "give a dog a bad name in order to hang it". Why have they not sent their tanks and warships to Bahrain, Yemen, Cote-d'voire ? Likely because there is no oil to die for in Yemen and Ivory coast and the Emir in Bahrain has being playing his games according to their dictates.

Correct
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Bastage: 3:52pm On Mar 20, 2011
damas11111:

^^^^^^^^ @biachwest

I do. And those News Channels are saying that is what the Libyan state TV is saying. But as the same TV channel was saying a couple of days ago that Gaddafi wasn't killing people and that a ceasefire was in place, when it wasn't, I wouldn't give it a second's thought.

Also, France was in Cote d'Ivoire a few years ago. Remember?
As for Yemen, the UK was there a while back.

Read history and learn.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by damas11111(m): 3:59pm On Mar 20, 2011
More ridiculous.
You claim to have access to the channels, yet you didnt listen to medical workers confirming the deaths as a result of the bombing!

Why have the western powers not attempt to remove Gbagbo. Nothing more than mediating and rethorics.

What about Bahrain? How many deaths so far? Even police going to beat up medical workers at the hospitals.

You come across as being naive.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Autolord: 4:10pm On Mar 20, 2011
I dont think the Arab League supports Gadaffi,
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by lakeside4love(m): 4:11pm On Mar 20, 2011
I ve been watching CNN and BBC all nite n most of d day, n d reporters right inside Benghazi n Tripoli said they r yet to see any civilian casualties as a result of d US tomahawks.D missiles were directed to specifics libyan military base.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 4:14pm On Mar 20, 2011
I ve been watching CNN and BBC all nite n most of d day, n d reporters right inside Benghazi n Tripoli said they r yet to see any civilian casualties as a result of d US tomahawks.D missiles were directed to specifics libyan military base

Enough said -  smiley
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by damas11111(m): 4:20pm On Mar 20, 2011
^^^ May be you need to check Al-Jazeera. It's even on the footnotes.

And when does a "no-fly zone" equate to bombing of "targets". I would think it means if Gadhafi defies the rules then his jets will be brought down.
Someone should pls explain.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by homerac7: 4:38pm On Mar 20, 2011
Y all d whinning? How can u expect d use of such calibre of ordinance and wont sustain collateral damage? U can only try frm ur side to MINIMIZE and cant eradicate it. Not even mentioning d mad man Ghadaffi building human shields around himself. Its unfortunate bt its one of d real costs of war.

Some of d posters need to check for d UN mandate as passed to see dt d enforcement requires use of every possible force short of ground occupation. U aint seen nothing yet, wait until later tonight when another barrage of bombardment will take place and d picture bcomes clearer. Most of d equipments r just moving into positions today. Maybe by tomorrrow, Ghadaffi will b lucky to hav his own house standing intact.

My greater suspicion is dt in other to avoid a stalemate, UN might b approached to change d mandate to allow ground troops deployment.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 4:42pm On Mar 20, 2011
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Bastage: 4:48pm On Mar 20, 2011
damas11111:

You claim to have access to the channels, yet you didnt listen to medical workers confirming the deaths as a result of the bombing!

Government "medical workers" on Libyan state TV. I'm only suprised that they don't have overalls with "Baby Milk Factory" written on the back in English.

There are rebel medical workers who are currently claiming that hundreds of civilians, including many women and children have been killed by Gaddafi's forces in the last couple of days.

I'll bet you'd say that they are liars.

SunofGod mocks a poster for using BBC and CNN as references and then uses SKY news to back up his point.
What a filthy hypocrite.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Mar 20, 2011
America should pull back completely from this. It should go no further. The west should leave Libya immediately and demand that the Arab league handle it's business on it's own then.
Bastage:

SunofGod mocks a poster for using BBC and CNN as references and then uses SKY news to back up his point.
What a filthy hypocrite.

NO mind the weed heads . . . lol !!! SKY NEWS/FOX NEWS ?? ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by blacksta(m): 4:56pm On Mar 20, 2011
The Arab league  are biggest hypocrites in this matter.  Every one knew the in-tails of a No fly zone.  First objective of a no fly zone is destruction of Libya air defence system.  To pretend that they dont know is just barmy and so called Libyan casualities have not been confirmed by independent reporters so far the footage showed by Libyan tv does not tally with fact the mentioned bombs are cruise missiles please note nothing within 300 meters will survive a cruise bomb talk less of lying down in a hospital ward chatting to camera man.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 4:57pm On Mar 20, 2011
What a filthy hypocrite.

What point?

I have posted a fact and have provided a link for any doubters.

But not any old link - but one where a political analyst is assessing the situation and breaking it down for 'block heads' like you.

Thanks,
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 5:01pm On Mar 20, 2011
NO mind the weed heads . . . lol !!! SKY NEWS/FOX NEWS ?? ROFLMAO!!!

Always rolling about on the floor laughing your arrsee off.

How do you find time to type messages?

Your uselessness is well known so let me not waste anymore time on you.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Bastage: 5:03pm On Mar 20, 2011
Others have used Western News media and you mock them.

But it's OK for you to do likewise?

Like I said: Filthy hypocrite.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Sunofgod(m): 5:06pm On Mar 20, 2011
Others have used Western News media and you mock them.

But it's OK for you to do likewise?

Like I said: Filthy hypocrite.

Please check your facts.

The initial link I posted to this story was not from a western news source.
The video was posted as it confirms the intial link from a 'western mouth'.

If your looking for a Hypocrite I can point you in the right direction:

Kobojunkie:

Finally!!! I have to say, the UN has sort of been slow on this one.

Agreed, but with this almost immediate rejection from the Arab league and African Union, I think the west should call it a day on this campaign and instead increase it's call for the Arab league to handle it.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Kobojunkie: 5:08pm On Mar 20, 2011
Sun of god:

Please check your facts.

The initial link I posted to this story was not from a western news source.
The video was posted as it confirms the intial link from a 'western mouth'.

@Bastage is right . . . . whether you think my post useless or not, fact is @Bastage is right. You laughed at someone else watching CNN/ BBC but produced Skynews in response. lol
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by otokx(m): 5:09pm On Mar 20, 2011
When bombs fall there must be human casualties and civilian ones for that matter.
Re: Breaking News - Arab League Criticises 'No Fly Zone' - They Now Support Gaddafi? by Kobojunkie: 5:11pm On Mar 20, 2011
otokx:

When bombs fall there must be human casualties and civilian ones for that matter.

Agreed, but with this almost immediate rejection from the Arab league and African Union, I think the west should call it a day on this campaign and instead increase it's call for the Arab league to handle it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Independence Day America! USA Celebrates Its 239th Independence Day! / Life Outside The Whitehouse, Michelle Obama Shares Her Workout Photos. / See How Ghana Are Dealing With The Fulani Madness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.