Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,312 members, 7,780,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:18 PM

Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign (6473 Views)

Apc Election Campaign Take Another Dimention (pics) / Ajimobi's Daughters Stun At Dad's Re-election Campaign- Photos / Lagos State Water Corporation Save Taxpayer Money In Lagos-orile Alafin Bustop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by Ibime(m): 4:20pm On Mar 21, 2011
[center]Utomi - Jonathan Spends N100 Million Daily on Campaign[/center]

President Goodluck Jonathan expends N100 million naira of tax payers' money every day to fund his presidential campaign, presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Mega Party (SDMP) Prof. Pat Utomi charged in Abuja yesterday. Utomi, who spoke at a 'Policy Dialogue with Presidential Candidates' organised by Murtala Mohammed Foundation, said civil society organisations in the country have failed in their duty by keeping quiet over the president's spending on his campaign, saying this can never happen in Brazil where a Constitutional Court has banned such spending.

On corruption, Utomi said the trend flourishes because people believe that nobody could prosecute them if they engage in corrupt practices, adding that if elected as the President of Nigeria he will fight corruption. He also expressed his commitment to institutional arrangements in the political arena, saying the country requires two viable and strong political parties. He expressed his displeasure over the inability of reformed progressives to form an alliance in spite of his personal efforts in that direction.

The presidential candidate also described the establishment of new federal universities without repositioning the existing ones as unreasonable. He said much attention is focused on tertiary education with little importance attached to the need to address challenges facing primary education.

He said, "Teacher education is the starting point. How do we create intense teacher education? How do we bring prestige back to teacher education? It is going to be a life mission since the educational system has been completely neglected. We also need to rethink vocational education if we want to make progress."

On security challenges facing the country, Utomi called for the decentralisation of police and the adoption of modern community policing tactics, saying all the crises could have been avoided if early warning signals were considered.

When asked to make a choice of his presidential candidate if he is not contesting, he said, "I told Nuhu Ribadu, if you emerge as a progressive candidate, I will support you. I will support Malam Ibrahim Shekarau. He will make a good President. He is an articulate man but he is not known outside Kano. General Muhammadu Buhari is a symbol of discipline and Nigeria needs discipline. If all these fail, we can survive with Jonathan."

Professor Utomi also declared his readiness to accord women a prime platform that will guarantee their active participation in the Nigerian political process, adding that his government would ensure that 50% of cabinet members are women. Drawing inferences from the female-dominated schooling system in the South-east, Utomi said a time would come when women will preoccupy the positions of governance and authority in the country.

Meanwhile, Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) yesterday said they were not looking elsewhere when President Goodluck Jonathan and his party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) were spending tax payers' money to the tune of N100 million daily as alleged by Prof. Pat Utomi and that they would soon take action to arrest it.

The Alliance for Credible Elections (ACE), the Transition Monitoring Group (TMG) and the Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC) were unanimous in condemning the flagrant abuse and undermining of the rule of law and provision of the Electoral Act by political parties, especially the PDP and politicians alike, with TMG saying that the amount is even an understatement.

General Secretary of ACE Mr. Emma Ezeazu told our correspondent in Abuja that it is right that Prof. Utomi is actively playing the role expected of the opposition, saying however that the CSOs will look into the matter.

"If the president is spending that much on campaign, it will be more difficult for the opposition parties to contest with him. We will look into this matter and be sure of the fact. We will have to be sure so that we will just not be smearing our hands in the mud. If the president is spending that much it is horrible and does not augur well for the coming April polls, democracy and for the well being of Nigeria," Ezeazu said.

TMG chairman and Chairperson-Elect of the newly formed West Africa Election Observers Network (WAEON), Comrade Mashood Erubami, said CSOs are looking elsewhere as the organization was actually preparing to address the nation on the matter and that the delay was due to the organisation's pre-occupation with the party primaries.

"The amount quoted is an understatement when you count in the number of official cars, drivers, consumables, institutional and man-day support from civil servants and direct cash being expended daily. There is also the issue of deferred payment in millions represented by unaccountable contractor supports which will later be re-paid in form of contracts and their attachable inflations.

"You cannot estimate the amount of spending from adverts from public owned media which are not directly charged but hidden under public announcement. TMG will take the matter to the civil society situation room for national based treatment," Erubami said.

Executive Director of CICLAC Malam Auwal Musa Rafsanjani on his part said that the amount quoted by Prof Utomi cannot be far from truth, adding that civil society groups have actually being expressing concern over the non-compliance by political parties, especially PDP with the Electoral Act on party financing and donations.

"We are unfortunately having politicians who are no respecters of law. We are having a government that is legalizing corruption so much that they were celebrating people convicted of corruption; but we are not going to relent in our efforts and roles despite our inability to enforce the provisions of the laws," Rafsanjani said.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201103100207.html
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by Nobody: 4:23pm On Mar 21, 2011
Utomi should go and sit down. This man should just return to Lagos Business School and continue his work in academia there.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by monkeyleg: 4:24pm On Mar 21, 2011
Terrible. this must stop, the nations money is seen as thier personal money. Put hand and spend. This country sef
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by blacksta(m): 4:25pm On Mar 21, 2011
Thieving GEJ  - posterity will judge him  - no wonder reserves are depleting like no man business.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 21, 2011
Did Utomi provide that tiny little unimportant thing called evidence to back his figures?

Or did he just pull the ''100 million'' figure out of his assss?
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by monkeyleg: 4:27pm On Mar 21, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Utomi should go and sit down. This man should just return to Lagos Business School and continue his work in academia there.

another one, who has been raped, yet thinks it is his fault. What has Utomi said that is wrong?
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by EnuguUkwu: 4:28pm On Mar 21, 2011
old news. Monkey.

Even Buhari spends 150m daily on election campaign.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by Nobody: 4:30pm On Mar 21, 2011
Enugu Ukwu is correct. There's still a lot of change left in Buhari's 53 suitcases.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by monkeyleg: 4:40pm On Mar 21, 2011
Why dont you ask Buhari if he does, I am sure he will tell you. Not like someone we all know, who conceals the truth.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by obowunmi(m): 4:41pm On Mar 21, 2011
Nigerians pay taxes ?  shocked grin
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by blacksta(m): 4:43pm On Mar 21, 2011
Enugu_Ukwu:

old news. Monkey.

Even Buhari spends 150m daily on election campaign.

beaf a big dunce - if u like create 1000 handles  - No amount of brain washing will help your cause  . GEJ will still move from one blunder to another.x
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by EnuguUkwu: 4:46pm On Mar 21, 2011
blacksta:

beaf a big dunce - if u like create 1000 handles  - No amount of brain washing will help your cause  . GEJ will move from one blunder to another.x

You are a muppet. Who is Beaf? Your head is rubbish if you think everyone on this forum is Beaf. a cow like you. next time you call me Beaf, i will send the gods after you to turn that stupid head of yours into an empty shell.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by blacksta(m): 4:49pm On Mar 21, 2011
Enugu_Ukwu:

You are a muppet. Who is Beaf? Your head is rubbish if you think everyone on this forum is Beaf.  a cow like you. next time you call me Beaf, i will send the gods after you to turn that silly head of yours into an empty shell.

thanks for confirming that you are beaf -   A bait was left and u definitely ate this one.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by EnuguUkwu: 4:51pm On Mar 21, 2011
^^^

You must be seeing yourself as an achiever.

If i am Beaf. May I not see tomorrow. If I am not Beaf. May your life become empty.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by monkeyleg: 4:53pm On Mar 21, 2011
PDP boys, please select your category before you respond to post, that way we can get a proper assessment on the sort of person we are dealing with

According to Prof. Wole Soyinka "Only four set of people can vote for PDP in 2011 (1) Those who are intellectually blind (2) Those who are blind by ethnicity (3) Those who are blind by corruption, and (4) Those who are suffering from the combination of the above four terminal sickness

For example
My name is Beaf, I belong to the category 4 set of the Prof Soyinka person description, my answer to the following post is, I am sure you get the drift
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 21, 2011
He's an Ijaw man, squandering free money is what they're good at. I even believe he's modest probably by the time he comes back through rigging he'll show his full true colour
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by naso2(m): 5:23pm On Mar 21, 2011
blink182:

He's an Ijaw man, squandering free money is what they're good at. I even believe he's modest probably by the time he comes back through rigging he'll show his full true colour

Will you stick to issues here and stop this childish rant? So what do you say of Yorubas in lagos that live in one room face-me-i-slap-you apartment getting loans to organise OWAMBE?
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 21, 2011
na_so:

Will you stick to issues here and stop this childish rant? So what do you say of Yorubas in lagos that live in one room face-me-i-slap-you apartment getting loans to organise OWAMBE?
lol, that is some crazy shi.t right there grin . Back to the topic, even as I may want to believe Utomi, where did he get his figures from? undecided
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by nvo5(f): 6:12pm On Mar 21, 2011
this is crazy, he is spending this huge
amount because no one has the courage
to question him.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by desholah(m): 6:18pm On Mar 21, 2011
Goddamitt . . .N100m? . . . . .Safe us God!!! cry
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by amefi(m): 6:20pm On Mar 21, 2011
obowunmi:

Nigerians pay taxes ? shocked grin

yes, they do. is it funny?
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by victorazy(m): 6:20pm On Mar 21, 2011
nvo5:

this is crazy, he is spending this huge
amount because no one has the courage
to question him.

Yousef, u be horse that they do control?
This is a blatant lie.
Am not PDP supporter but ppl should stop spreading lies
Is he CBN? or EFCC?
Has he not stole money b4?
Weda GJ used billion or not for campaign, is not goin to affect Nigerian University positively.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by obowunmi(m): 6:21pm On Mar 21, 2011
amefi:

yes, they do. is it funny?

I know many more people who don't pay their taxes. Hence, I doubt the validity of this story.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by amefi(m): 6:22pm On Mar 21, 2011
desholah:

Goddamitt . . .N100m? . . . . .Safe us God!!! cry

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by xreal: 6:26pm On Mar 21, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Did Utomi provide that tiny little unimportant thing called evidence to back his figures?

Or did he just pull the ''100 million'' figure out of his assss?
the answer to the last mathematical/business problem he solved before he left the Business School today was 100 million; this brought about the guessfigure. grin
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by victorazy(m): 6:27pm On Mar 21, 2011
Enugu_Ukwu:

You are a muppet. Who is Beaf? Your head is rubbish if you think everyone on this forum is Beaf. a cow like you. next time you call me Beaf, i will send the gods after you to turn that silly head of yours into an empty shell.

Which of the gods? please send Amadioha cause i like him so much, the god of thunder, my grand father used to warship it.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by amefi(m): 6:29pm On Mar 21, 2011
obowunmi:

I know many more people who don't pay their taxes. Hence, I doubt the validity of this story.

If u work in a company, it is usually subtracted frm your salary every month by your employers jus as it's done in some western countries. But i cant b very sure for the petty traders on the street. However, govt has a way of collecting money frm them thru KAI, agberos, area boys and so on. In actual sense, everybody pays tax to govt or govt controlled agencies either directly or indirectly.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by sleekman(m): 6:30pm On Mar 21, 2011
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 21, 2011
obowunmi:

Nigerians dont pay tax, the word used should be oil money. All the same its still the national treasury that is being looted. Nigeria is making a sh,it load of money at the moment as oil prices are very high and we're producing over 2m barrels per day. 2.5m X $102, do the maths, N100m is actually change
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by 9ijaMan: 6:32pm On Mar 21, 2011
Enugu_Ukwu:

^^^

You must be seeing yourself as an achiever.

If i am Beaf. May I not see tomorrow. If I am not Beaf. May your life become empty.

This is surely the second time I'm reading pretty much the same words of curses from two distinct user names!
BURSTED!!!
Beaf you've been caught once again.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by obowunmi(m): 6:33pm On Mar 21, 2011
blink182:

Nigerians dont pay tax, the word used should be oil money. All the same its still the national treasury that is being looted. Nigeria is making a sh,it load of money at the moment as oil prices are very high and we're producing over 2m barrels per day. 2.5m X $102, do the maths, N100m is actually change

We need better journalists that can attempt to create impactful story vs. sensationalizes B.S. --- I don't too many taxpayers in Nigeria.
Re: Utomi: Jonathan Spends N100m Of Taxpayer Money Daily On Election Campaign by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 21, 2011
obowunmi:

We need better journalists that can attempt to create impactful story vs. sensationalizes B.S. --- I don't too many taxpayers in Nigeria.
Till then, we should make do with what we have and hope we dont get arrested while distributing unconfirmed reports grin aka rumours

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Colonel William Walbe Has Died / Watch The Moment Davido Disregards Vice-president Osinbanjo At Felabration / Bandits Showing Off Nigerian Army Procured DSHK Machine Guns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.