Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,608 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Words That Sabotage Your Cv! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Words That Sabotage Your Cv! (8074 Views)

10 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers / Guaranteed Ways To Sabotage Your Careeer Goals / Politics At Work, Has Anybody Attempted To Sabotage Your Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Words That Sabotage Your Cv! by Mustay(m): 7:01am On Aug 14, 2012
koastar:
On the issue the poster raised about including personal information like date of birth, I have heard some HR saying it has to be included even when it is not requested. The HR person further said a CV without date of birth is assumed that the applicant is above a considerable age and he's trying to hide it. All these cause confusion and I think if there is no universal standard, applicants should study the organization he/she is applying to and comform to their standard.

dazzy4real: @poster I was surprised when I read the part of age not being compulsory when I thought 'twas no. 1

Different flakes for different folks I guess but I don't think there can be universal standards, maybe 'generally accepted resume principles'; we need to realise that each organisation has its peculiar needs from applicants so try to tailor your resume to the REQUIREMENTS they advertised.-

Some people have suggested having multiple CVs which is quite reasonable so that the CV you send to an employer completely matches (most of) what the employer wants from you.

As for age, I know a school of thought that doesn't deem it compulsory. Sometimes, the age could be estimated when your education profile is seen but if the age requirement is stated, just put your DOB there for (except you're the 'special one') HR may not bother calling to confirm. Ditto, marital status (the job could require someone who travels alot).
Re: Words That Sabotage Your Cv! by Mustay(m): 7:22am On Aug 14, 2012
koastar:
On the issue the poster raised about including personal information like date of birth, I have heard some HR saying it has to be included even when it is not requested. The HR person further said a CV without date of birth is assumed that the applicant is above a considerable age and he's trying to hide it. All these cause confusion and I think if there is no universal standard, applicants should study the organization he/she is applying to and comform to their standard.

dazzy4real: @poster I was surprised when I read the part of age not being compulsory when I thought 'twas no. 1

Different flakes for different folks I guess but I don't think there can be universal standards, maybe 'generally accepted resume principles'; we need to realise that each organisation has its peculiar needs from applicants so try to tailor your resume to the REQUIREMENTS they advertised.-

Some people have suggested having multiple CVs which is quite reasonable so that the CV you send to an employer completely matches (most of) what the employer wants from you.

As for age, I know a school of thought that doesn't deem it compulsory. Sometimes, the age could be estimated when your education profile is seen but if the age requirement is stated, just put your DOB there for (except you're the 'special one') HR may not bother calling to confirm. Ditto, marital status (the job could require someone who travels alot).
Re: Words That Sabotage Your Cv! by employer22: 8:10am On Aug 14, 2012
Employees needed for a start up investment firm in lagos. Salary N50,000. Application is free. This is NOT a recruitment firm. Send your resume/CV to demnota@yahoo.com. Thank you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate okays Halilu Shaba As DG, NASRDA / Teachers Recruitment Exercise : Akwa Ibom Recalls Sacked 5000 Teachers / How To Pay For ACCA Exams Cheaper Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.