Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable (12798 Views)

Cost Range Of Building A 4 Bdrm All Ensuite Bungalow On A Swampy Land At Ikorodu / Swampy Land For Sale In Woji,portharcourt For Land Speculators / What Wil Be The Cost Of Building A Concrete Pond In A Swampy Area. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by moneyluv: 9:17am On Mar 23, 2011
I just bought a plot of land in osapa and unfortunately its a swampy land. looking to build a block of six flats and my builder just gave me a quotation of 9 million naira for the foundation and german floor of 5 planks. this i feel is on the high side.

8 t0n of 16mm
10 ton of 12mm
6 ton of 8mm
8 trip of 30 ton gravel
500 bags og cement
800 12x2 wood
800 of another kind of wood

any builder in the house pls comment and i might look in your direction as i feel am been exploited.
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by atasteve: 10:00am On Mar 23, 2011
Building in swampy area is scary shocked
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 23, 2011
my broda pls just sell the land.
dont make the same mistake as me,
my plot has taken over 7million still not upto
german floor,but if u r to proceed in constructing
make sure u r supervising it urself because u'll only end up
fighting with ur relatives as a result of being suspicions of enbemslement as it will cost more than expected.

nuf said.

1 Like

Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by cinzo: 3:34pm On Mar 23, 2011
Like euromillion said sell the land and look for a dry land! Must you build there? It never ceases to amaze me on why people would leave dry land and try to reclaim water!
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by jidody(m): 4:40pm On Mar 23, 2011
Dont mind those asking you to sell and buy another land. You must have bought in that location for a reason and the raft should not scare you out of that. Raft foundation is actually a worthwhile investment. you would feel much better with your house after the raft. Its the major part of the process that is different from building in a very dry land. Actually, if I can afford it, I would not mind doing a raft foundation even when building on dry land. What you need to do is to get quotations from other builders. I just did a raft foundation for a twin duplex at Isheri North using 4 planks and spent roughly 3million. Note that I am not in the country but I have a trusted aide. I was sending the money to my mum and she was disbursing and also creating time to go to the site while keeping a prudent eye on the process. She suggested I buy my wood from Ogun state and it turned out top be cheaper. Since she was also on ground, when the actual casting was taking place, she made sure I was not cheated as per cement usage. I also had phone numbers of the suppliers and the workers so i would call anyone to get whatever information I wanted. All situations are peculiar. here is a rough breakdown of what I used.

Blinding
Clearing ground          10000 1 10000
Workmanship/materials 100000 1 100000
30 tonnes granite         115000 1 115000
Sharp sand 60 tonnes 45000 3 135000
Cement                         1850 90 166500
Supervsion                  30000 1 30000

The length is 40 feet and the numbers in each size is 10mm=133lengths/ton, 12mm=92lengths/ton, 16mm=52lengths/ton

iron work
16mm 3.5 106000 318000
12mm 1.5 106000 159000
10mm 1.5 106000 159000
binding wire 2 3000 6000
workmanship 1 90000

Carpentary
1x12   420 650 273000 (bought this from ogun state)
2x3   250 220 55000
3" nails 2 4500 9000
4" nails 1 4500 4500
binding wire roll 1 3000 3000
Transport 1 30000 30000
Labour 1 100000 100000

Casting
granite 60tons 115k x 2  230k
Sand 60tons 45k x 3 135k
Cement 250bags 2000 500k
Labour 1 140k
Supervision: 40k

1 Like

Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by popsi: 9:50pm On Mar 23, 2011
@Jidody

Please i would need advise from you re Isheri North, I have a plot in the residential scheme, but hv done nothing to it yet. I am just slightly unsure as per what is best.

Please i would appreciate it if you could share your thoughts with me. here is my email address Lewisoke@yahoo.com, please do email me so i could share ur thoughts.

thanks
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by Aventures(m): 10:45pm On Mar 23, 2011
Virtually Osapa london is either sand filled or swampy area but is a good location to build in ajah Lekki axis as the rate ofreturn is very high. well i have worked in one of the existing and functional medium rise office complex at Osapa (Name witheld) and i know that the road level is quite high therefore most projects there requires a well elevated foundation. It may be quite difficult to judge the qoutation of your builder unless a normal bill of quantity is prepared by a seperate professional with integrity. though i have a feel that the 9m seems a bit high but i wish not to conclude so yet.
This kind of service i have rendered for nothing less than three Nairalanders and we were able to save a lot.
You can either give me a call on 08023142108 or mail me on abidoyventures@gmail for further info.

Engr. Niyi
(Structural Engineer/builder, project management and cost consultant)
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by Aventures(m): 11:01pm On Mar 23, 2011
@Jidody,
sir, from engineering point of view and my experience in raft foundation ( at least i have done 4 in the last 7 months). Blinding does not necessarily require granite and if need be, on no circumstances you will use 30 tons. also in ur break down it shows that you have only casted once and in raft fdn you will va to cast twice, moreover there was no filling sand in your break down. this suggest to me that ur raft fdn is still at grd bam level, the grd floor slab is yet to be done. I f i am right you may have to still spend like 2m to get it completed.

@popsy,
for somebody to have done a raft fdn around where you have a land does not mean urs may require a raft fdn. It is advisable to get professional to help you look into it and give their best of judgment.

1 Like

Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by jidody(m): 2:36am On Mar 24, 2011
@ Adventures

You are right, I have not casted the german floor yet. Of course that would be after I have done the filling, hardcore and additional iron work. I intend to take my time in doing the filling. As it is, my projection is to do the German floor in the next raining season. That would give me enough time to do the filling, for the filling to settle very well and for me to recoup enough cash for the next level.

@popsi

I will send you a mail.
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by Aventures(m): 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2011
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by Nobody: 9:24am On Apr 03, 2011
[b]
moneyluv:

I just bought a plot of land in osapa and unfortunately its a swampy land. looking to build a block of six flats and my builder just gave me a quotation of 9 million naira for the foundation and german floor of 5 planks. this i feel is on the high side.

8 t0n of 16mm
10 ton of 12mm
6 ton of 8mm
8 trip of 30 ton gravel
500 bags og cement
800 12x2 wood
800 of another kind of wood

You didnt do something right here: you didnt tell us exactly what you want to build. If its skyscrapper or just a 5 or 6 bedroom duplex.
But if it is a 6 bedroom duplex, I would say your builder wants to build an extra home from this job. Haba!
But seriously, if he buys all this, he wont be spending up to 4 mil at most. And 500 bags of cememt? His he building a bridge?

But candidly, building on swampy can drive you nuts, especially if you are not a builder, and have no initial idea of its cost-implications.
I will compare this with a job I just handled at a part of Omiwole, Ogun State, The area was a former canal, and the filling alone cost about #400,000, partly because we had to use hardcore after using laterite for the sub-base. And we had to erect and bridge for us to access the land. We used x2 of everything from materials to labor. The below is a little cost estimation for the six bedroom:

Bridge Creation:
---------------------------------------------------
Materials:
Woods (Hard Wood):   
1x12:                             40 pcs *#900  = #36,000
2x3                                 25 pcs *#900 = #22,500
4 inch nails:                   1 bag   *#6000=#6,000
3 inch nails:                   1 bag   *#5000=#5000
Total:  Plus Labor = #100,000

Base Creation & Raft Foundation (2 ft sub-base/ 4ft raft) :
Excavation and clearing of site for ground base (Please note: It will be mechnanical clearing if you have bamboo and plenty trees but manual if its just bushes)
Digging of 2 ft for firm base. Building of 1ft wooden base framework. Filling with concrete alone. Then pegging and raft foundation outline plus carpentry, rebar (iron-bending), as well renting of roller and getting labor for foundation.

Materials:
Woods (White Wood):       
1x12                                   300 pcs  @#700 per 1   #210,000
2x3                                     300 pcs  @#900 per 1   #270,000
4 inch nails                         5 bags    @#6000          #30,000
3 inch nails                         2 bags    @#5000         #10,000
Binding wires                     10 dozens      @1000 per 1  #10,000   
Membrane nylon                100 yrds   @500 per yrd      #5000

Rebar:
16mm                                10 tonnes      @120,000              #1,200,000
12mm                                5 tonnes        @100,000              #500,000
10mm                                2 tonnes        @#80,000              #160,000

Concrete Work:                                 
Granite                              10 trucks      @#120,000             #1,200,000     
Sharp Sand (10 tonnes)    10 trucks      @#50,000               #500,000
Cement (Dangote Only)    150 bags      @#2500                  #375,000

Labor:                                                                                    #1,000,000
Supervision & Admin:                                                             #500,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total:                                                      #5,970,000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pls: quote does not include laterite (filling) which is always inestimable and always require presence of home owner when done.

this is for 2 units of 6 bedroom duplex in an extremely swampy area, far worse than osapa. this quote might apply if you are building a duplex, its irrelevant if you are aiming for 3 or 4 storey.

You can reach me: Engr. Adeyemi Tunde
www.aasog.com[/b]
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by Felixv: 6:19pm On Apr 03, 2011
@ Aventures and aasog1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi guys,
it seems you guys know your stuff,i just got a quote for a foundation for a 4flats in badore,not a swampy area but i guess not perfectly dry as well
the quote is actually 4M, wondering if i could send it to any of you to evaluate,

thanks
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by Aventures(m): 9:10pm On Apr 03, 2011
@ felixv,
I have worked somewhere beside co-operative villa and i know badore area generally either swampy or relatively fair dry land, have a very low soil bearing capacity, so i presume that the foundation if properly design should either be a raft foundation or an alternative to raft. Base on this, and from experience the bill of 4M seems fairly ok. But if you will like to be double sure, then i will need your drawings and probably a description of the site relatively to the road with this i will come up with a a bill of qty and cost for your fdn.
Engr. Niyi. 08023142108, abidoyventures@gmail.com
@ Aventures
our services includes:
Structural design, Civil & building Construction, project management & cost consultant and property manager
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by pss: 9:29pm On Apr 03, 2011
Based on personally opinion, my decision to build on a waterlogged land will depend on the location. I have send close to 1.5 million to do base work of my fence in a water logged area. Rent in this location goes for 700k per month (3 bedroom) and could increase in the future

1 Like

Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by larimo(m): 9:33pm On Apr 03, 2011
@poster, that cost isnt unreasonable for the project you want to do (speaking from experience). if that cost would affect great your budget, you shld scale it down. budget is always key! dont start sth you cannot finish. swampy terrains are challenging but if you have the foundation welldone, no wahala. you can simply do a 2-unit bungalow. without a doubt, a 'dry terrain' is always better.

@aasog, check your sum. you calculated 597 million! wink
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 04, 2011
@larimo

thanks bros,
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by bigi4u(m): 9:42pm On Feb 12, 2016
pls my brodas, i,m facing a similar challenge but my land seems about average of 4ft deep to what i consider bedrock. for foundation of 2 storey single flat of 4 bedroom, like how much will it cost?
Re: Actual Cost Of Building On A Swampy Land And Is It Adviseable by bigi4u(m): 1:26pm On Feb 18, 2016
pls, I will like to open a new tread on a similar issue here but don't know how, pls, how do i create a new tread here? I don't know why nairaland made it very difficult to create treads, pls heap... OH! i've figured out the trick.

(1) (Reply)

Fire Outbreak At Alekuwodo In Osogbo, Osun State (photos) / Waterproofing Chemicals Available In Nigeria / A House Attached To Union Bank Ojota Is On Fire (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.