Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,010 members, 7,806,938 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. (31195 Views)

Breaking News: The Female Trekker Of GEJ To Join Her Partner Tommorow[see PICS] / State Of Railway During Buhari's Time - / The 7 Characteristics Of An Eagle And Why They Are Lessons For Good Leadership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Jen33(m): 11:30pm On Mar 23, 2011

Is it just me or is there something about this picture that makes you say, ''Yes, this country has a future. This country can actually work.''smiley
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by proudly9ja(m): 11:37pm On Mar 23, 2011
while I'm happy the railway is working again, I want to quickly remind us all that these same trains worked in 2007 just before OBJ handed over to Yaradua. Infact I remember OBJ taking a ride from Abeokuta to Lagos. So nothing new.

What is however annoying is that Yaradua/GEJ govt cancelled the contract awarded to the Chinese to provide modern fast trains on standard guage for the Nigerian Railway. That project was supposed to take 3 years. If they had not cancelled it, by now, at least one part of it should be working. By cancelling that project, Nigeria lost over 3million dollars non refundable deposit we made towards the project.

So should I be congratulating anyone for this 'feat'? My answer is NO
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by omanzo02: 11:39pm On Mar 23, 2011
Those shouting for new version of locomotive, is this what u are asking for, where is the power to run it?

Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by proudly9ja(m): 11:41pm On Mar 23, 2011
This was Obasanjo attending the groundbreaking ceremony for the Light Rail Mass Transit Project which should have been constructed by CCECC.

Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 11:41pm On Mar 23, 2011
omanzo02:

Those shouting for new version of locomotive, is this what u are asking for, where is the power to run it?

Can I say that is a silly statement/question . . . .I hope you know that. undecided
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Jen33(m): 11:45pm On Mar 23, 2011
^^He asked a great question. The power requirements for residences and industries need to be sorted out before devoting to high speed rail, especially when there are alternatives.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 11:46pm On Mar 23, 2011
proudly9ja:

This was Obasanjo attending the groundbreaking ceremony for the Light Rail Mass Transit Project which should have been constructed by CCECC.

That picture makes one weep!!! embarassed
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by DisGuy: 11:48pm On Mar 23, 2011
Jen33:

Is it just me or is there something about this picture that makes you say, ''Yes, this country has a future. This country can actually work.''smiley

Well you are basically saying what has been said a thousand times- NIGERIA HAS POTENTIAL

yes it can work, yes it has potential but it's not being made to work with sick clueless incompetent presidents like Jonathan
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by DisGuy: 11:50pm On Mar 23, 2011
proudly9ja:

that was the Abuja light rail not the Lagos-Kano
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 11:56pm On Mar 23, 2011
Dis Guy:

that was the Abuja light rail not the Lagos-Kano

Abuja light rail is under construction.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by omanzo02: 11:57pm On Mar 23, 2011
Jen33:

^^He asked a great question. The power requirements for residences and industries need to be sorted out before devoting to high speed rail, especially when there are alternatives.
Bravo dude,

U perfectly decoded the reasons behind my question.

Older version of locomotives are still are still a common sight in Europe and America, some people here are just asking for too much and they are so clueless in what they ask for.

A journey of a thousand miles begines with a step, so old or new locomotive, its all about pulling the carrriage and its passengers.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Eziachi: 11:58pm On Mar 23, 2011
Enugu_Ukwu:

I remember when we were young - it was so easy travelling from Lagos to Kano on these trains. How many of the people here ever got on any of them?

Nigerians are so negative, no wonder nothing good comes to them. Imagine someone is already bad mouthing it. We rode in it back in the days and we are still living.

So. big deal. if u no like am, no enter am. No be by force.

Stop this your bitterness thaat we should all join to beat drum for politiicans for doing a job they were well paid to do with your own money.

one lesson in democracy is never praise your elected leaders, no matter what they achieved because that is their job and were well paid to do those jobs, so why parise them when they were only doing their jobs?

That is why when you heard a NIGERIAN politician talking about his activities in government, you will think he was talking about his personal business, they cannot separate their own acount with that of the public and move around like royals.

We should praise them for the rail system the British established 70 years ago but they ran it aground for many years because they do not care. A Country like Gabon are going high speed train by 2018 and here you are beating drums for 1970s technology that cost billions of dollars.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 11:59pm On Mar 23, 2011
excuse me.

How do we bring development to Nigeria if people begrudge it when government spends money?

I dont get it. These things we see abroad and we like to be in Nigeria costs a lot of money - but when government spends money - they call government a wasteful spendthrift. i dont get it.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 12:00am On Mar 24, 2011
omanzo02:

Bravo dude,

Older version of locomotives are still are still a common sight in Europe and America, some people here are just asking for too much and they are so clueless in what they ask for.

A journey of a thousand miles begines with a step, so old or new locomotive, its all boils down to pulling the carrriage.

I hate to break your celebration here but  um . . . most of the new rail systems come with their own power plants. They are not all hooked to the main grid, even in places like china, and I am almost certain that is the case with where you got the picture you have there from. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed They do not need to be tied to the same Grid people are dependent on. Also, the Administration probably expected that after spending all $16 billion, it would probably get somewhere with supplies by now. Sad case!

But no, rail electricity does not have to depend on local grid supply -- we have enough resources of have dedicated power plants to the rail system and so we do not have to sit back, MOROSE, waiting first to satisfy people, before we venture into IMPROVING on the LIVES.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 12:01am On Mar 24, 2011
Eziachi:

Stop this your bitterness thaat we should all join to beat drum for politiicans for doing a job they were well paid to do with your own money.

one lesson in democracy is never praise your elected leaders, no matter what they achieved because that is their job and were well paid to do those jobs, so why parise them when they were only doing their jobs?

That is why when you heard a NIGERIAN politician talking about his activities in government, you will think he was talking about his personal business, they cannot separate their own acount with that of the public and move around like royals.

We should praise them for the rail system the British established 70 years ago but they ran it aground for many years because they do not care. A Country like Gabon are going high speed train by 2018 and here you are beating drums for 1970s technology that cost billions of dollars.

What is this dude talking about here? someone explain to me.

Read over your entire rantings and see that not one of it made any sense.

if some set of people ran it under ground, and some people revitalise it, then do what you like, praise those who ran it underground while i chose to praise those who re vitalise it. No be only you get Nigeria.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Jen33(m): 12:05am On Mar 24, 2011
DisGuy said:

Quote from: Jen33 on Yesterday at 11:30:14 PM

Is it just me or is there something about this picture that makes you say, ''Yes, this country has a future. This country can actually work.''? 

Well you are basically saying what has been said a thousand times- NIGERIA HAS POTENTIAL

yes it can work, yes it has potential but it's not being made to work with sick clueless incompetent presidents like Jonathan

That's not what the picture says.  wink
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Eziachi: 12:08am On Mar 24, 2011
omanzo02:

Bravo dude,

A journey of a thousand miles begines with a step, so old or new locomotive, its all boils down to pulling the carrriage.

When they purchase their fleet of presidential jets, do you think they buy fom the old Soviet planes or the latest from the like of boeing can provide.
All the bullet proof SUVs we are seeing in this campaign how old are they?

Bt it only When it comes to public amenities, Rome wan't built in a day is not always far from their mouth because they knew that gullible Nigerians will dance like baboons and will go home happy and then tomorrow the whole thing packed up.
You can still see governors in Nigeria listing borehole digged as their achievement with public money in this 21st century and there will be fanfare as the president may even be there to cut the tape.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Eziachi: 12:15am On Mar 24, 2011
Enugu_Ukwu:

What is this dude talking about here? someone explain to me.

Read over your entire rantings and see that not one of it made any sense.

if some set of people ran it under ground, and some people revitalise it, then do what you like, praise those who ran it underground while i chose to praise those who re vitalise it. No be only you get Nigeria.
The same set of people that ran the railways underground are the same people that are now revitalising them with your money and you are praising them.
All the so called democrats today were the yester years ministers, commissioner etc under the military. Call a successful coup tomorrow, they will equally jump ship and join the military. It show how little you knew Nigeria, recycling of the same mistake for over 5o years now.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 12:17am On Mar 24, 2011
^^

ok. we don hear.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Jen33(m): 12:17am On Mar 24, 2011
Meanwhile, the Rivers intrastate monorail is reaching advanced stages of construction.

Here’s an exclusive preview of what the Monorail coaches will look like on the inside

The plush blue carpeting, velvety red seats, and large wide windows will not only provide you with an extraordinary view of the city of Port Harcourt, but will also insure that your daily commute takes place in a clean and comfort-filled environment.

The Rivers Monorail….it will change the way you travel.

http://www.riversmonorail.com/2010/12/exclusive-sneak-preview-at-the-interior-of-the-port-harcourt-monorail/

Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by omanzo02: 12:20am On Mar 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I hate to break your celebration here but um . . . most of the new rail systems come with their own power plants. They are not all hooked to the main grid, even in places like china, and I am almost certain that is the case with where you got the picture you have there from. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed They do not need to be tied to the same Grid people are dependent on. Also, the Administration probably expected that after spending all $16 billion, it would probably get somewhere with supplies by now. Sad case!

But no, rail electricity does not have to depend on local grid supply -- we have enough resources of have dedicated power plants to the rail system and so we do not have to sit back, MOROSE, waiting first to satisfy people, before we venture into IMPROVING on the LIVES.

That did'nt break my celebration at all, try again. grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Eziachi: 12:25am On Mar 24, 2011
Enugu_Ukwu:

^^

ok. we don hear.
I really do hope that you are not from the great town of Enugu Ukwu.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 12:26am On Mar 24, 2011
Eziachi

We don hear.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 12:27am On Mar 24, 2011
Jen3

More of that. Some people just develop heart failure when they see anything good coming from Nigeria.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rivers-Monorail/114785075236793
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by omanzo02: 12:29am On Mar 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Can I say that is a silly statement/question . . . .I hope you know that. undecided

Its a free world, yap what u like.

U are here castigating Nigeria's locomotive as old version, look at what u have at where u claimed u are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYK2ROrFazU
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Jen33(m): 12:33am On Mar 24, 2011
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 12:33am On Mar 24, 2011
omanzo02:

That did'nt break my celebration at all, try again.  grin grin grin

Just saying that the question is a silly one considering what we know of how rail works today and how it does not necessarily need to wait for the 150 million to get electricity first.
Eziachi:

[size=14pt]The same set of people that ran the railways underground are the same people that are now revitalising them with your money and you are praising them. [/size]
All the so called democrats today were the yester years ministers, commissioner etc under the military. Call a successful coup tomorrow, they will equally jump ship and join the military. It show how little you knew Nigeria, recycling of the same mistake for over 5o years now.

No mind them . . .
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 12:36am On Mar 24, 2011
if you want to cry that they are revitalising the rail system, cry - na you sabi

Let others who want to rejoice do the rejoicing.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 12:39am On Mar 24, 2011
omanzo02:

Its a free world, yap what u like.

U are here castigating Nigeria's locomotive as old version, look at what u have at where u claimed u are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYK2ROrFazU

Now you want to compare the Nigerian locomotives with trains purchased in the 1970's AGAIN??  na wa ooo!! undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided Now I don't even know what you are event getting at, assuming you are desperately trying to make some point.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Jen33(m): 12:41am On Mar 24, 2011
Enugu Ukwu, why waste your breath? Best ignore those folks before u give yourself unnecessary blood pressure. Personally I can't wait to get on one of those trains.  grin A whole new way to enjoy Naija. grin
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 12:48am On Mar 24, 2011
when i get back to Nigeria next week. I will personally get on the train, take pictures and post here. Up Naija.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Justcash(m): 12:55am On Mar 24, 2011
Beautiful development. Even if the trains are crawling like snails at the moment, and being pounded by noise, it can only get better and not worse. GEJ has done a good job by making the trains work. He should do more.
However, what I perceive more is that this is a political masterstroke. Rivers state, Enugu state and Abuja are all developing light rail transport systems, and they are all governed by PDP politicians. Lagos is doing same under an ACN leadership. We pray and hope that this is a sign that PDP is gradually changing for good. May God Help us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obama’s Remarks Before Meeting With Jonathan / What Is The State Of Origin Of Professor Osinbajo, Osinbajo, Oshibajo, Osibanjo / Wike's Key PDP Allies Decamp To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.