Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. (31198 Views)

Breaking News: The Female Trekker Of GEJ To Join Her Partner Tommorow[see PICS] / State Of Railway During Buhari's Time - / The 7 Characteristics Of An Eagle And Why They Are Lessons For Good Leadership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 24, 2011
Good development

Is it passengers only though?

Might be beneficial for cheaper transport of agricultural produce from other parts of the country

My last word is Maintenance!! embarassed
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by nnaemmy(m): 7:47pm On Mar 24, 2011
[color=#990000]Nice one, but i pray this shouldn't be just for campaign! tongue tongue tongue[/color]
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by RichieTayo1(m): 8:12pm On Mar 24, 2011
kalokalo:

Why can't the Government allow private entrepreneurs to buy trains and run on the existing tracks. Its similar to how we have private transporters like Chisco, ABC, Ekene Dili Chukwu running buses on public roads. Or how private airlines like Arik, Dana, Air Nigeria are running using public airports.

Why does the NRC have to be a monopoly . We all know how inept and corrupt monopolies like Nigeria Airways and Nitel used to be until they were forced to face competition from private firms.  Now Railway Corporation is offering us decades old and slow locomotives because there is no alternative to them. angry angry

The industry should be liberalized to let private investors bring world class service to Nigerians that we will pay for!!. I suspect that would be the death knell to the mismanaged NRC like it did for Nitel and Nigeria Airways.

Now, that's a fresh breath in this thread, and I think I agree with U. In retrospective analysis however, who associates with failure? No serious law maker would want to waste precious time trying to amend d laws by which d hitherto moribound NRC was operating. But given d attention drawn to it by GEJ to get votes, if d trains continue to run after elections, just IF, then there would be need to amend d laws. Afterall, d constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has continued to undergo amendments.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by lekside44(m): 8:35pm On Mar 24, 2011
all these developement / issues are coming up on pages of thenewspaper, but go to railway technical dept in lagos, nothing is happen there
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by BB4Naija: 8:57pm On Mar 24, 2011
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 9:17pm On Mar 24, 2011
lekside44:

all these developement / issues are coming up on pages of thenewspaper, but go to railway technical dept in lagos, nothing is happen there

loL - REALLY?
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 9:51pm On Mar 24, 2011
lekside44:

It is the old rail system and I believe the same schedule we have had for over 20 nows. I remember I used to have to take the train from Lagos on my way to Kwara for school back then.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by DisGuy: 4:37am On Mar 25, 2011
in perspective

Manchester to London = 263Kilometres = c.2hrs 30 minutes
Ilorin- Lagos= c.260 Kilometers = 10hours+

anyone know what the price will be eventually?
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 4:44am On Mar 25, 2011
We didn't get an upgrade -- we just got the old machines(most of them no longer working since we could not maintain them well) replaced with newer old machines(old as in same push at the old). So, the travel time now is probably no different from the old engines.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by ektbear: 7:16am On Mar 25, 2011
Dis Guy:

in perspective

Manchester to London = 263Kilometres = c.2hrs 30 minutes
Ilorin- Lagos= c.260 Kilometers = 10hours+

anyone know what the price will be eventually?

Lol. Such an epic fail, Nigeria is undecided
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by chatterly: 7:24am On Mar 25, 2011
Kai,
See my people rejoicing over rehabilitating single guage railway networks built by the colonialists over 100 years ago.the new trains cannot even compare remotely with the UK high speed trains built in the early 80's which are still in use now and  have a top speed of about 125 mph and are diesel powered.a malaysian friend of mine was telling me that he considers the uk to be a 3rd world country compared to his country technology wise,this was because they were able to leapfrog a lot of the development stages and go for cutting edge technologies,meanwhile we are here recycling the same old technology that took my father from osogbo to lagos in 1955 and feeling cool with ourselves.I weep sad sad sad sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by texazzpete(m): 7:24am On Mar 25, 2011
As someone said on Twitter: "Lagos to Ibadan 7.5 hours via train after spending N114 billion and people are praising the PDP? Nigeria is in trouble".

These people should come clean and confess that their Pastor told them to vote GEJ since he has 'divine mandate' instead of coming here to insult our intelligence by claiming the man is doing wonders.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by seguno2: 8:40am On Mar 25, 2011
texazzpete:

As someone said on Twitter: "Lagos to Ibadan 7.5 hours via train after spending N114 billion and people are praising the PDP? Nigeria is in trouble".

These people should come clean and confess that their Pastor told them to vote GEJ since he has 'divine mandate' instead of coming here to insult our intelligence by claiming the man is doing wonders.

The fact remains that in the last one year Jonathan has allowed people to do their work without any overbearing influence and it is slowly producing results.
The N114 billion you quoted was not spent in the last one year. Rather much has been spent over several years without any result to show for it until Jonathan came around. The reality is that Jonathan is a good leader and manager of people and is the BEST (or least bad) of all the four serious contenders to enable our democratic institutions grow.
Btw, what are Buhari's achievement during his reign as the supreme dictator of Nigeria for almost two years apart from locking up southerners while putting his northern brothers under house arrest. Maybe you have a list to share.

[size=16pt]Africa does not need (bullies & brutes) strong men, it needs strong institutions - Barack Obama[/size]
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by seguno2: 9:10am On Mar 25, 2011
Richie Tayo:

Now, that's a fresh breath in this thread, and I think I agree with U. In retrospective analysis however, who associates with failure? No serious law maker would want to waste precious time trying to amend d laws by which d hitherto moribound NRC was operating. But given d attention drawn to it by GEJ to get votes, if d trains continue to run after elections, just IF, then there would be need to amend d laws. Afterall, d constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has continued to undergo amendments.

That is the benefit of a deepening democratic culture that Goodluck Jonathan has promoted since providence brought him to leadership through constitutional means.

- The 1999 constitution was successfully amended.
- The electoral law also amended.
- Minimum wage increased.
- Court judgements followed even when not in favour of his PDP.

It only remains for us to watch out for credible candidates to vote into the national and state assemblies to make better laws and checkmate the excesses of the president and governors while bringing our needs to their attention.
Yemisi Ransome Kuti is such a candidate and I am sure there will be others like her in YOUR ward/constituency.
Find them and mobilise support for them.
We should not allow a lawless, opinionanted ex-dictator reverse these gains.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by homerac7: 9:20am On Mar 25, 2011
I see d scenario ds way, we had/hav choices on advancement; slow and costly reactivation of dead archaic colonial age infrasctructures wt hope of additional investments towards upgrading them in future versus laying fresh foundation for highly efficient, effective, safer, better evolved, modern and futuristic top class infrastructure in a leap-frog to a modern society. Guess our wisdom settled for d former (dts y a lot of us r gleeful abt it afterall).

Our is a society of downtrodden sence of self value, dts y we hav low expectations from d establishment. Otherwise, dos relics of gone-bye years shouldnt be wht d govt is offering. It only makes sense when they hav been owned from long ago and maintained (as long as they r maintainable). Not when dey r new "acquisitions". Other nations are mordernizing infrastructures, here we are rebuilding from d steam age, shame i say.

Our unfortunate infrasturucture collapse has d advantage of technological jump-starting by building modern ones directly as we scrap off d dead ones. But we cant see it. We go back to spend on d old system first then start thinking of re-scrapping dem again for modernization. By then our "modernization" will only leave us wt another set of old technologies, there the vicious cycle goes again, at least,by d logic of current actions.

Shame i say, shame.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by eghost247(m): 10:50am On Mar 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lol. Such an epic fail, Nigeria is undecided
lol funny anyway gradually we will get there lol
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by naijangel7(f): 10:50am On Mar 25, 2011
Shut up and return to the celebrity/fashion section where you belong. Failing which, at least get on the damn train first on a regular journey as opposed to a maiden/trial voyage, before jumping to your dull-brained, mascara pasted face conclusions.

@Jen33, only a unicellular-brained i.m.b.e.c.i.l.e like you would reply to a comment that is not directed at you that way. umblella mugu like u. Step outside the shores of Naija and see what 21st century trains look like. "mascara-pasted". After u go say u dey hear English cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 5:32pm On Mar 25, 2011
naijangel7:

@Jen33, only a unicellular-brained i.m.b.e.c.i.l.e like you would reply to a comment that is not directed at you that way. umblella mugu like u. Step outside the shores of Naija and see what 21st century trains look like. "mascara-pasted". After u go say u dey hear English cheesy cheesy grin

I live in the UK and I see diesel powered locomotives on the rail tracks. what is the issue here? They still use diesel powered locomotives in the 21st century.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 5:35pm On Mar 25, 2011
7.5hrs Lagos to Ibadan - everyone knows why this is so. Dont use that to bad mouth what has been done. it was a "voyage" ride. Stop at every train station to make a show.

Come on. Speak objectively. Like the title said- it is back for good. If you dont like it, too bad. Throw yourself in front of it when ever you see it coming.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by naijangel7(f): 5:39pm On Mar 25, 2011
Enugu_Ukwu:

I live in the UK and I see diesel powered locomotives on the rail tracks. what is the issue here? They still use diesel powered locomotives in the 21st century.

Certainly not for the kind of public transportation indicated on this thread. I am not even disputing that point with u. But these "new" trains broke down shortly into the first trip! It took  the train 7 and a half hours to get from Lagos to Ibadan! Haba. Please post a pic of the locomotive trains you mean and a record of their performance here. Let's see if it's the same "diesel powered locomotive trains" we are talking about. These are obviously artefacts being put on Nigerian rails here and we're laughing along with our mockers.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 5:41pm On Mar 25, 2011
^

I hear you.

You can say all you want. I hear you. All you can hook upon is the 7.5 hours time when everyone is aware of the fact that the train stopped at every station to make a show. Disparage Nigeria as much as you want, the truth remains the truth. Locomotives are used all over the world, if you dont know, try and find out. Diesel powered locomotives are diesel powered locomotives everywhere, there is no separate definition of it for Nigeria.

http://www.railway-technical.com/diesel.shtml
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by naijangel7(f): 5:54pm On Mar 25, 2011
Enugu_Ukwu:

^

I hear you.

You can say all you want. I hear you. All you can hook upon is the 7.5 hours time when everyone is aware of the fact that the train stopped at every station to make a show. Disparage Nigeria as much as you want, the truth remains the truth. Locomotives are used all over the world, if you dont know, try and find out. Diesel powered locomotives are diesel powered locomotives everywhere, there is no separate definition of it for Nigeria.

please go back and read my 4 posts on this thread and point out where i said locomotive trains aren't used anywhere in the world. please do me that favour. Maybe u need to read and get my point before u post your replies. And the only reason i used that tone to Jen33 was because he insulted me 1st. I use locomotive trains as well as electric-powered ones every week where i live, i never argued that fact. There are locomotive trains and there are locomotive trains, my brother. You may or may not be shocked by the time u hear the amount of money squandered on this project.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by naijangel7(f): 5:56pm On Mar 25, 2011
And by the way, when did i disparage Nigeria? We don't even realise how rich we are as a nation or what we deserve as a people. speaking the truth is now disparaging.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by chatterly: 6:05pm On Mar 25, 2011
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/19880827-KingsCross-HST-43079.jpg
For pple who check the link,the intercity 225s were built in the early 80s and have a top speed of 148 mph they are totally diesel powered and are the backbone of the UK train network ,GE has gone to dig up some legacy equipment for us for our dead tracks the same way the chinese did in the mid 90s during the abacha regime.I still dont get why we must always settle for the worst?

Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Mar 25, 2011
chatterly:

[b]For pple who check the link,the intercity 225s were built in the early 80s and have a top speed of 148 mph they are totally diesel powered and are the backbone of the UK train network ,GE has gone to dig up some legacy equipment for us for our dead tracks the same way the chinese did in the mid 90s during the abacha regime.[/b]I still dont get why we must always settle for the worst?
You forgot to mention the price tag --- approximately $1 billion dollars. grin
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by naijangel7(f): 7:00pm On Mar 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You forgot to mention the price tag   --- approximately $1 billion dollars.  grin

I weep for Naija. Just wait and see what our weather and our population size are going to do to these hand-me-downs in the next few years. If they last that long, that is.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 8:44pm On Mar 25, 2011
we have consistently said it. Whoever doesnt like Nigeria is free to jump into the sea. LOL

Dont come here and speak english. Jump into the sea.

Agressive minority should not force their views and tastes on everyone !
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by yme1(f): 10:39pm On Mar 25, 2011
Oh my goodness!!! for real?

wow am so proud of my country kiss kiss kiss
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by GAR3TH(m): 11:00pm On Mar 25, 2011
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 11:04pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^^

Each one carries a different name.
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by GAR3TH(m): 11:09pm On Mar 25, 2011
^ ^ ^I just read a couple of articles. . . each train was named after different ruling leaders (i presume). . .post above edited
Re: Breaking News - The Nigerian Railway Is Back For Good. by EnuguUkwu: 11:16pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^^
Good man.

I will be here with more pictures when i hit Naija next week.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The State Of Origin Of Professor Osinbajo, Osinbajo, Oshibajo, Osibanjo / Video Of Muhammadu Buhari First Speech After His Declaration As President Elect / Thugs Attack & Beat Up Channels TV Cameraman Covering Osun Workers Clash (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.