Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,725 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

Glo Mobile WAP Users - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Glo Mobile WAP Users (13864 Views)

What Is Wrong With Glo Mobile Internet? / List Of WAP Sites You Know / Globacom (Glo Mobile) Nigeria Email Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 11:46am On Apr 12, 2005
Hey Guys! Am a new wap user with Glo, maybe the more experienced users could share their experience here, for example, wap and mms configuration problems, GPRS availability, Glo current wap and mms promotions, freebies, downloads and stuffs.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 12:03pm On Apr 12, 2005
Glo is currently running free MMS promotions till September 31.

My New Discoveries:

1. I can send and recieve free mms, from my phone, or my online glomms album as far as my credit is not 0, and I my validity is still on.

2. The MMS can be a wallpaper, ringtone or picture.

I earlier had problems with sending MMS, until I checked the MMS server, via message options, found out it was configured with default settings that came with the phone, changed it to Glo settings, and immediately I was able to send. smiley
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 11:49am On Apr 15, 2005
I visited this site on glowap today, with address http://nairaland.com, (no www on wap), I was able to get to this thread and read clearly all the posts, but there was no option to reply or login, i think Admin has some job to to do in that area, Seun i commend you though for being able move mobile nigeria forum, at least it can now be viewed on wap, who knows maybe in future, we might have contributions fron wap surfers abroad, well done.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 2:26pm On Apr 15, 2005
Kudos seun! This post was made from my phone, login and reply enabled with http://nairaland.com/?wap2 .
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by mamba(m): 11:28pm On Apr 16, 2005
Cool! I guess I'll try this too.

I guess Nairaland will promote Globacom in a way. I won't be surprised if they add it to their WAP homepage very soon.

Good job Seun, so you're the 'big kahuna' of this site. Cool!
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by AYA: 12:44pm On Apr 17, 2005
Glo GPRS has been down at my residence for about 2 weeks now. I am very tired of calling them to complain.

Looks like it does not matter whether I call or not, so I will 'siddon look'. :-(
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 11:10am On Apr 19, 2005
I hadly experience unavailability of GPRS, except a few times at home (Festac) when Glo network is down,

@AYA, Is GPRS always available where there is network?
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Seun(m): 12:09pm On Apr 19, 2005
I think the answer is 'No'. I miss AYA a lot.

1 Like

Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by AYA: 12:17pm On Apr 19, 2005
Angelgirl:
@AYA, Is GPRS always available where there is network?
No; GPRS is not always available where there is network coverage. For example, the last 2 weeks GPRS has been off at my end, I have been making and receiving calls and doing SMS as always without any problems.

If there is no network there can be no GPRS. But the network may be available and GPRS be down. This is because GPRS is a "layer" running over the regular GSM network.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Seun(m): 12:29pm On Apr 19, 2005
AYA:
... GPRS is a "layer" running over the regular GSM network.
I'm learning this for the first time, AYA. So how come GPRS data transfer is faster than GSM? How can a layer running over GSM have more capabilities and, in particular, speed?

1 Like

Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Seun(m): 4:01pm On Apr 20, 2005
I guess I have to answer myself!

From the Wikipedia:
"Packet-switched data under GPRS is achieved by allocating unused cell bandwidth to transmit data. As dedicated voice (or data) channels are setup by phones, the bandwidth available for packet switched data shrinks. A consequence of this is that packet switched data has a poor bit rate in busy cells. The theoretical limit for packet switched data is approx. 170 kbit/s. A realistic bit rate is 30-70 kbit/s.

And for more about 'EDGE' that AYA has been talking about on Mobile Nigeria:
"A change to the radio part of GPRS called EDGE allows higher bit rates of between 20 and 200 kbit/s. The maximum data rates are achieved only by allocation of more than one time slot in the TDMA frame. Also, the higher the data rate, the lower the error correction capability. Generally, the connection speed drops logarithmically with distance from the base station. This is not an issue in heavily populated areas with high cell density, but may become an issue in sparsely populated/rural areas."

So GPRS is not actually faster than GSM. But it uses the available bandwidth more efficiently by dividing data into 'packets' and using all the bandwidth available to it as a given time.

B-)
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 4:32pm On Apr 20, 2005
Well done Seun! From a lay mans point of view, am i right if i conlude from the statement above that GPRS does not run on 'real time' like the internet and this is the reason why charges are calculated by amount of data sent and recieved?
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Seun(m): 5:31pm On Apr 20, 2005
Actually, the Internet does not run on real-time either! It also also uses packets. That is why sometimes it's difficult to get decent Voice over IP performance on the Internet.

A GSM phone (or wired telephone) has to allocate a dedicated data channel for each call. Or else the voice quality would be as poor as VoIP on our crowded VSAT networks!
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by AYA: 4:07pm On Apr 21, 2005
Seun has given a good overview of GPRS and EDGE.

I will add that edge requires a hardware upgrade of the regular GSM infrastructure. EDGE is actually GPRS running over a more advanced network. That is why EDGE is also referred to as EGPRS (Enhanced GPRS).

Did I pass?
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Mario(m): 1:36pm On May 02, 2005
From Infotech Gurus like you guys, I think you passed, but I have never experienced GPRS faliure in my end (V/I & Ikoyi). Its beautiful using it here because you ask for the network and it anwers you immidiately, thanks to Glo.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by mufasa(m): 5:26pm On May 14, 2005
you guys are moving some high tech stuff here, i conclude that infotech is harder than medicine!
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 12:32pm On May 23, 2005
Can someone please tell me was happening to GPRS with Glo since i recharged today, i have not seen a single flash of the service, i thought the GPRS problem is over.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by legry(m): 12:39pm On May 23, 2005
Angel I think it would depend on what area you are at at the moment, and as far as i now the GPRS problem is over
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 12:54pm On May 23, 2005
Am in Victoria Island.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by legry(m): 2:34pm On May 23, 2005
Then you should have no problem, what handset are you using and are the setttings on your handset correct? If they are correct then you have no issue but if they have been tampered with then............ anyways write your phone model type and ill give you a new pair of settings to put in it
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 4:07pm On May 23, 2005
Thanks legry, GPRS came back after i switched my phone off and on twice.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by debugger(m): 11:27am On Jun 14, 2005
Plz i'v been tryin to connect my glo for gprs, i got all settin, i hv sent alot of sms to glo recommended line but till date am still not connect.
I wish to knw if the gprs connection is location dependat ofcoz a friend stayin with me is able to use he's for browsin but mine is not goin thro.
My set is segam myX-7.

plz i need any glo staff to help me out.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 1:08pm On Jun 14, 2005
Debugger, you have to call Glo Customer Care Line (121). Tell them you have completed you configurations and you need them to provision your SIM for WAP and MMS. You will recieve password for your Glo online MMS album as soon as they provision you, or better still take you phone to any Gloworld center near you.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by debugger(m): 4:49pm On Jun 14, 2005
Angelgirl: i see u hv alot to say. i was in globacom office today. the guy who's name is John Ayim (johnny) did wht he can and ask me to load my account which i hv done and wait for an sms from glo.

but who know hw many decade for the sms to come.

am hopeful anyway. chau
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 5:05pm On Jun 14, 2005
i advice you to be patient, i was once desperate to get mms and wap on my glo line too, so desperate that the day the notification came i didnt know, so since you have been to their office, in the next 2 days if you dont recieve password for your online glo mms album, call 121, but if you do, then switch off you phone and on again, you will start browsing wap immediately.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by debugger(m): 5:05pm On Jun 19, 2005
Angelgirl:

I advice you to be patient, I was once desperate to get mms and wap on my glo line too, so desperate that the day the notification came I didnt know, so since you have been to their office, in the next 2 days if you don't recieve password for your online glo mms album, call 121, but if you do, then switch off you phone and on again, you will start browsing wap immediately.

Angelgirl, it has been more than 2days, infact this is makin it a week plus now,
am desperate so patient does not count for me now.
if u knw anytin u can do plz do for me,
my glo number is 0805 261 1597, if u can ask they to provision this line for mms and wap i will be grateful.
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 2:18pm On Aug 10, 2005
Hi guys, i want to see if this will work, connect to nairaland with glo wap and see if you can download this ringtone. Nigeria Jagajaga

Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Seun(m): 7:46pm On Aug 10, 2005
Hmm ... this won't work unless we have a dedicated section for ringtones.  Nairaland WAP doesn't yet have support for downloading of attachments.  For the Nigeria Jaga Jaga Ringtone, try this link:

[center]i.nairaland.com/img/nigeria-jaga-jaga.mid[/center]
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Angelgirl(f): 11:08am On Aug 11, 2005
Thanks a lot Seun, it worked!
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by hotangel2(f): 11:56pm On Aug 11, 2005
How do i send the tone to my phone?
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by Seun(m): 5:11am On Aug 14, 2005
Type i.nairaland.com/img/nigeria-jaga-jaga.mid into your phone (instead of, say, wap.nairaland.com)
Re: Glo Mobile WAP Users by hotangel2(f): 5:19am On Aug 14, 2005
<snip>It's only singing the song. How do I set it to my ringer?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Turned Off Read Receipt On Whatsapp To View A Status Yet This Happened / Prices For Tecno P7, D7, H7, M7 & R7 / MTNSpecial - How To Activate Free 10GB Data Bonus On MTN (Screenshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.