Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,779 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! (7821 Views)

Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? / GEJ Trains are Far Better & Classy than London's First Capital Connect trains / The Trains Are Back Look: At People Enjoying Nigerian Trains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by PapaBrowne(m): 9:19pm On Mar 23, 2011
The trains are back

By Ifedayo Adabayo
March 23, 2011 05:59PM
print  email   

Efforts to revive the Nigerian railways network got off this morning after a free train service for the public chugged off at the Iddo rail station, Lagos at 9.35am. The trip, earlier scheduled to span between Lagos and Ilorin, Kwara State, will now terminate in Ibadan, Oyo State, due to technical glitches on a part of the rail track. The train has eight coaches.

After 15 minutes stop over to pick security and some staff of the corporation at Alagomeji rail station, the train, moving at a slow speed reached Mushin around 10am. Though many people trooped out to confirm the news of the service, tens of passengers and six journalists finally made the trip. The VIP section, where journalists are placed, is a 98-passenger fully air conditioned coach, with fans, television and other conveniences provided. Passengers however berate the change of direction from Ilorin to Ibadan and urge the railway corporation to work more on its timing.

Some more passengers joined at the Agbado station, and the train now has about 20 passengers on board. The track is noisy, and makes conversation hard.

11:00am: The train is now at the Opo Suru station in Ijoko. The tracks here are newly fixed and it has not been passed in years, except for construction purposes. About 50 passengers joined the service at Ijoko station.

12:00pm: Passengers expressed views that the speed of the train makes the journey better than road one. Farmers and villagers along the route come near the track to wave at passing train.

12.30pm: Spokesman of the Nigerian Railways Corporation, David Ndanusa said the last time a commercial train service ran on the track was years ago.

Train now at Abese station: Buildings at the station are all locked up and the place is desolate. Train has, for some minutes been passing through several kilometers-long sugar plantation.
Now passing by Ewekoro Cement factory. We sight several trailers packed within its premises to transport cement, something the train could now do more efficiently.

12:48pm: Three hours into the journey, train leaves Itori station for Abeokuta. There had been stops at every station along the way.

13:00pm: Train stops at the popular Wasinmi railway station. Excited townspeople trooped to the station to catch sight of the train

13:50pm: Train now at the Aro railway station, Abeokuta. There is a functional Nigerian Railways Corporation residential quarters here, with many staff of the corporation still living there

15:30pm: The train, Sultan of Sokoto, is now at Ilugun; halfway between Abeokuta and Ibadan, its destination. Many more passengers came on borad along the way. Poor telecommunications service between the Abeokuta station and Ilugun.

17:00pm: Train now at Omi Adio, a village in Ibadan. People were visibly surprised to see the train. Huge numbers trooped to the station to wave it along.

17:15pm: As the train rolls into Ibadan, crowds of people ran alongside the track shouting ‘welcome back train'.

17:39 pm: Seven hours and 24 minutes after it left Lagos, the train arrives at the Ibadan railway station

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5685052-146/the_trains_are_back__.csp

Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by PapaBrowne(m): 9:26pm On Mar 23, 2011
This is great news!! I think Jonathan is doing a lot of work but isn't publicizing his efforts properly.

Recently, there was some construction going on somewhere on the outskirts of Warri and it looked different from a normal road construction. So I hard to ask what project it was. I was told it is the railway station for the Warri- Ajaokuta line that would connect Warri to Abuja. I was shocked because I hadn't read of any such thing in the papers, so I wondered why the Jonathan government isn't using the press effectively to communicate to the people the projects it is engaging in!!
Fashola hasn't started building the Light Rail project but all Lagosians know about it!! Jonathan has been working on the railways but nobody heard about it.

All in all this is great news!! We need more of this!!
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by jensinmi(m): 12:00am On Mar 24, 2011
7hours and 24 minutes from Lagos to Ibadan. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is real progress. grin grin grin grin

I guess people will be lining up to do the trip. Instead of taking a N400 bus to their destination. grin grin grin grin
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by kodewrita(m): 7:38am On Mar 24, 2011
Nice work jonathan, trot out the old locomotives in time for the elections.

Speed Locos, 7hrs for a 3hr journey.

Real speedy and real progress.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by rasputinn(m): 8:32am On Mar 24, 2011
Way to go,GEJ
Partv of the reason Nigerians will vote massively for you during the presidential polls next month wink wink
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by PapaBrowne(m): 9:56am On Mar 24, 2011
jensinmi:

7hours and 24 minutes from Lagos to Ibadan. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is real progress. grin grin grin grin

I guess people will be lining up to do the trip. Instead of taking a N400 bus to their destination. grin grin grin grin

This is an inaugural display train. It stopped at every train station and had a fanfare, thats the reason for the time lag!

Asides, even if it takes a full day from Lagos to Ibadan, the simple fact that there is progress should be commended. If you had any idea how this could affect cargo logistics and reduce the cost of goods, you would be amazed.

Below is an article of yet another Rail project that the FG (Warri- Ajaokuta which would eventually be extended to Abuja) is constructing which would be completed this year. It is a modern standard gauge rail line.

Warri-Ajaokuta train services to commence
Monday, 25 October 2010 04:29 Sunday Williams

Train passenger services are to commence along the Warri-Ajaokuta railway route by next year, Transport Minister Alhaji Yusuf Suleiman has said.
Speaking at Julius Berger quarry in Ajaokuta after an inspection visit to the Itakpe-Ajaokuta-Warri railway projects, the minister who took a train ride from Warri to Ajaokuta said he was impressed with the ongoing rehabilitation of the routes.

“I will say that the train ride was smooth. At a point when we left Warri before we got to Agbor, I could sense a speed of about 120 km/hour and we have not yet finished the rehabilitation work and that is good. I believe that this is good for this country,” he said.

Yusuf directed the contractors to construct train stations along the route in order to facilitate the commencement of the passenger service.

He said: “I have asked my Director, Rail Services to call a technical services review meeting to see how we can now fashion a new timetable for the passenger stations.”

The construction of the Itakpe-Ajaokuta first standard gauge railway in Nigeria commenced in 1987 under the then Federal Ministry of Mines, Power and Steel which was completed and commissioned in 1991.

However, the extension of the rail line from Warri to Ajaokuta started in 1996 but was suspended due to paucity of funds which led to its collapse in 2007.

But the Federal Government revived the project last by awarding N36 billion contracts to Julius Berger plc for the completion of the remaining 22 kilometers and the rehabilitation of 254 kilometres.

Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Pharoh: 10:18am On Mar 24, 2011
Goodluck is a silent achiever but people are not going to see that but we just want to hear propaganda and whatever the opposition is sprouting out of their mouth.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by otokx(m): 10:30am On Mar 24, 2011
The Warri - Ajaokuta line is the newest of the lot and was never used so its no big deal. The reason for construction was to move finished goods from Ajaokuta to the ports at Warri for onward movement to the buyers in Europe and US. It was also meant to move semi processed raw materials from DSC aladja to the steel complex at Ajaokuta and back. DSC is producing at some capacity but Ajaokuta never took off the ground. If government can ensure that both Ajaokuta and DSC can be producing at 80% then that route can be more effective but if they want to convert it for passengers only that will be another thing.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Bawss1(m): 10:52am On Mar 24, 2011
Pharoh:

Goodluck is a silent achiever but people are not going to see that but we just want to hear propaganda and whatever the opposition is sprouting out of their mouth.

Hasn't it been already stated that this project was initiated by the late Yaradua? Now team GEJ arrives to steal the glory. How convenient.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by PapaBrowne(m): 11:02am On Mar 24, 2011
Bawss1:

Hasn't it been already stated that this project was initiated by the late Yaradua? Now team GEJ arrives to steal the glory. How convenient.
There are many projects that have been initiated by others but never left the drawing board. It is the one who executes the project that gets the gredit. Jonathan could as well have dumped the project in the dustbin.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Pharoh: 11:04am On Mar 24, 2011
Bawss1:

Why don't we praise the person who built original tracks before yar adua came in?. We should also praise jakande for the work fashola wants to do with the mono rail project in lagos. OBJ is credited with the gsm revolution in nigeria but why are we not praising IBB for doing the initial ground work. This is not about commissioning a project but he made it to come into fruition. Yar adua also built on the work of OBJ so why are we not praising him as well?. Please give commendation to who deserves it. Fashola is receiving praises in lagos state but some of those works were built on tinubu's initial effort as well.

Unilag will take full credit for producing a first class graduate but why are we not praising the efforts placed on that candidate initially at the primary and secondary school level?.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by adaphik(f): 11:29am On Mar 24, 2011
Encouraging. Improve
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by kodewrita(m): 2:40pm On Mar 24, 2011
Pharoh:

Why don't we praise the person who built original tracks before yar adua came in?. We should also praise jakande for the work fashola wants to do with the mono rail project in lagos. OBJ is credited with the gsm revolution in nigeria but why are we not praising IBB for doing the initial ground work. This is not about commissioning a project but he made it to come into fruition. Yar adua also built on the work of OBJ so why are we not praising him as well?. Please give commendation to who deserves it. Fashola is receiving praises in lagos state but some of those works were built on tinubu's initial effort as well.

Unilag will take full credit for producing a first class graduate but why are we not praising the efforts placed on that candidate initially at the primary and secondary school level?.
while I am still against GEJ trumpeting this project (because I believe we have gotten nowhere yet as far as rail is concerned), your comment above is really great logic.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On Mar 24, 2011
Bawss1:

[size=14pt]Hasn't it been already stated that this project was initiated by the late Yaradua? Now team GEJ arrives to steal the glory. How convenient.[/size]
  grin grin grin

It is really funny how these very same folks here, when asked why Jonathan has yet to achieve much in his 12 years in Government, on other threads, are quick to say things like  "He has only been president for 10 months" or "He has learnt from his past failures" Or "You don't expect the man to rush into things(even after 12 months o)" lol .

But here these same are, [b]STEALING THE glory from a dead man, [/b]so they can GLORIFY the same man for whom had tons of excuses ready for his lack of achievements. Sad really!!
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Sammy107d(m): 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2011
So JOURNALISTS boarded the trains and they didn't take a freakn million pictures??
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by PapaBrowne(m): 8:01pm On Mar 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

grin grin grin

It is really funny how these very same folks here, when asked why Jonathan has yet to achieve much in his 12 years in Government, on other threads, are quick to say things like  "He has only been president for 10 months" or "He has learnt from his past failures" Or "You don't expect the man to rush into things(even after 12 months o)" lol .

But here these same are, [b]STEALING THE glory from a dead man, [/b]so they can GLORIFY the same man for whom had tons of excuses ready for his lack of achievements. Sad really!!

^^^^
Your IQ is questionable!! You need self development classes!!

Below is what you call logical thinking and intelligent reasoning!!
Pharoh:

Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Nobody: 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2011
One single train is the reason u people are rejoicing?,

wait and see what Buhari can do.

Under Buhari, we can look forward to a whole network of trains in every part of the country.

How is he going to do this?

Buhari is simply going to tame corruption.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by PapaBrowne(m): 8:22pm On Mar 24, 2011
GenBuhari:

One single train is the reason u people are rejoicing?,

wait and see what Buhari can do.

Under Buhari, we can look forward to a whole network of trains in every part of the country.

How is he going to do this?

Buhari is simply going to tame corruption.

What can Buhari do?? You know the man was clueless on the day of the debate right?? If you can show me one road Buhari constructed during his time as Head of State, then I will vote for him. Don't tell me about PTF, becuase it would only further expose his bias as the roads he constructed were restricted to the core North!!
At least we know that Babangida in all his corruption built the third mainland Bridge.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 24, 2011
Buhari was only allowed 1.5 years as head of state

In that time he built many roads

The functioning refineries today were built by Buhari

He reduced inflation by 80%  shocked

Almost stamped out corruption

Crime rates were brought down to very low levels

Buhari built roads and infrastructure all over Nigeria as Head of State and as PTF chairman.

http://www.youtube.com/user/buhari4change#p/u/11/gCZp8DrkSvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ytpv3T5ALQ
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by thehomer: 9:06pm On Mar 24, 2011
Good. I hope they're also working on metropolitan rail services in densely populated cities.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by lolatom: 9:13pm On Mar 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

grin grin grin

It is really funny how these very same folks here, when asked why Jonathan has yet to achieve much in his 12 years in Government, on other threads, are quick to say things like "He has only been president for 10 months" or "He has learnt from his past failures" Or "You don't expect the man to rush into things(even after 12 months o)" lol .

Your fingers are faster than your brain.
Yes! Yaradua laid the foundation and now GEJ has built on it and the rail system is gradually becoming functional and u're here vomitting rubbish. Sometimes I wonder whether you've got tissue paper stuffed up ur brain.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by PapaBrowne(m): 9:40pm On Mar 24, 2011
GenBuhari:

Buhari was only allowed 1.5 years as head of state

In that time he built many roads

The functioning refineries today were built by Buhari

He reduced inflation by 80%  shocked

Almost stamped out corruption

Crime rates were brought down to very low levels

Buhari built roads and infrastructure all over Nigeria as Head of State and as PTF chairman.

Everything you wrote here GenBuhari na lie!! You can do better than this!!

Buhari didn't build any refineries please. The first refinery was bulit in 1965 by shell. Warri refinery was commisioned in 1978. Kaduna Refinery was Commissioned in 1980. The second PH refinery was commissioned by Babangida in 1989. So I don't know where U are getting your info fro. Ministers of Petroluem don't build refineries please!!!

He reduced inflation by 80% I wish you knew economics. Steep reduction in inflation is one sure sign of austerity and a declining economy.

Almost stamped out corruption Nope!! More like he opened the gates for the advent of massive looting by taking over from a democratically elected Government.

Buhari did not build any roads as head of state! Not a single road was built in his time! Not a single infrastructure development was executed in his time as head of state. As PTF  chairman, he took the money from the Niger Delta and used it to build Northern Roads at a time Abacha had just killed Ken Saro Wiwa. Thats exactly why you see the crowds restricted only to the core northern Nigeria!!

Please just name one project Buhari executed in his time as head of state!! All he did that we remember him for is that he bullied Nigerians with his War Against Indiscipline!!
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 24, 2011
^^Sorry mate, they are all true facts plese do your research
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by PapaBrowne(m): 9:52pm On Mar 24, 2011
GenBuhari:

^^Sorry mate, they are all true facts plese do your research

I have done my research Mr! You provide me with ur own proof and I will gladly vote for the General. I was almost getting persuaded to vote Buhari until I watched the NN24 debate!
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by EzeUche2(m): 9:54pm On Mar 24, 2011
People do not wish to give this man or PDP credit. Shame on you all! Ungrateful people. . .

Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Kobojunkie: 10:03pm On Mar 24, 2011
lolatom:

Your fingers are faster than your brain.
Yes! Yaradua laid the foundation and now GEJ has built on it and the rail system is gradually becoming functional and u're here vomitting rubbish. Sometimes I wonder whether you've got tissue paper stuffed up your brain.

see brain fart talking . . . . Oh . . . dumb one, there is no such thing! The locomotives themselves came in last year, I believe during the time Yar adua was still in a coma and the whole country was still wondering which way forward. ROFLMAO!!!

The contracts were awarded to independent entities and eventually completed by these private bodies during the yar adua administration.

May the spirit of the dead punish you for attempting to steal from one of theirs with that nonsense you have there.

ROFLMAO!!
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Kobojunkie: 10:07pm On Mar 24, 2011
Bawss1:

[size=14pt]Hasn't it been already stated that this project was initiated by the late Yaradua? Now team GEJ arrives to steal the glory. How convenient.[/size]
  grin grin grin

Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by KennyG6(m): 10:13pm On Mar 24, 2011
who cares yar adua initiated the project? The fact is neither GEJ nor Yar adua spent 1kobo of their personal money on the scheme, it was all done with Nigerian money, so all this petty tattles about who should take the glory is kind of bland
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Kobojunkie: 10:15pm On Mar 24, 2011
Kenny_G:

who cares yar adua initiated the project? The fact is neither GEJ nor Yar adua spent 1kobo of their personal money on the scheme, it was all done with Nigerian money, so all this petty tattles about who should take the glory is kind of bland

^^^ I suggest you start caring because in a couple of days, a man may successfully use this lie to win himself another four years in Aso Rock, yes, all paid by you! grin grin
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by EzeUche2(m): 10:15pm On Mar 24, 2011
Kenny_G:

Gbam!

And he seen it to completion. People need to start giving him credit.
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by KennyG6(m): 10:18pm On Mar 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ I suggest you start caring because in a couple of days, a man may successfully use this lie to win himself another four years in Aso Rock, yes, all paid by you! grin grin
So what if he tries to arrogate the glory to himself? if people are quick to crucify him for the past sins of pdp, some of which he probably knoew nothing about why shouldnt he follow suit
Re: The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! by Kobojunkie: 10:29pm On Mar 24, 2011
Kenny_G:

So what if he tries to arrogate the glory to himself? if people are quick to crucify him for the past sins of pdp, some of which he probably knoew nothing about why shouldnt he follow suit

But  . . ,   he is mostly crucified for HIS OWN PAST SINS, as well as his present, not that of others, in the PDP.

I mean look at River's State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, and Enugu State Governor, Sullivan Chime, these men are PDP members but  you do not see people crucifying them for past crimes, do you? Matter of fact, these men are praised daily because they have shown themselves different from the usual flock. Jonathan, on the other hand hasn't, so don't you think it make sense for people to crucify him then for his past sins, as well as his present, against them, especially as a member of the PDP flock? Or did you think it was all for what SOMEONE else did?? ROFLMAO!!!

You know what, you deserve it! The next time someone steals your idea and sells it as theres, I hope you be happy for em!

ROFLMAO!!! the way some people take dey think ehn!!! ROFLMAO!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Serving Northern Governor Under Investigation For Strong Links With Bokoharam ! / Jagaba Denies Collecting $620,000 Bribe From Lawan / Governor Udom Emmanuel Consults Labour Over His Political Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.