Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,666 members, 7,770,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:00 PM

When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? (8992 Views)

What Right Does A Pastor Have Disgracing Someone Openly During Service? / When Does Your Church Services Start And When Do You Arrive? / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by iluvnet(m): 11:00pm On Mar 23, 2011
Hi,

What is the difference between respecting and worshiping a man of God? When do we draw the line? This question emanates from the way every man of God in Nigeria these days want to be adored or treated. When do we Christians know that we are worshiping them instead of just respecting them?

Please share your views with us.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by KunleOshob(m): 7:06am On Mar 24, 2011
CEC plc members/Oyakhilome worshippers should please address the issues raised above, thanx.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by iluvnet(m): 8:52am On Mar 24, 2011
Hi Kunle,

can we please have your own view while we wait for others.

The thing is really disturbing these days! Some men of God even want you to respect and fear them than your parents! Is this Christianity?

Please people lets discuss these matter in a civil way in a bid to help our erring men of God get back to leadership by serving.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by SeanT21(f): 8:55am On Mar 24, 2011
Some man of God think they are God.

Some people tend to worship their pastor too much. They forget that he's just a human being.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by iluvnet(m): 9:08am On Mar 24, 2011
thanks sean,

but what is the difference between respecting a man of God and worshiping a man of God. I just want to know when I cross the line from respecting him or her to worshiping him or her. Are there examples? Please specify.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by SeanT21(f): 9:24am On Mar 24, 2011
Okay, lets see.

For example,

-If you believe your pastor is perfect. I have met so many people who believe that their pastor is above criticism. He can do nothing wrong. They forget that he's a human, he's a mere man or a woman. He make mistakes.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by wetu: 10:18am On Mar 24, 2011
The signs are:
When you imitate his accent, hairstyle, dress code and so on,
When you call him "Pastor" instead of "Pastor X" even when talking to people not from your church.
When everything you say starts with "Pastor says".
When you refuse to acknowldge what the Bible says because "Pastor says"
When you have to ask Pastor everything
When only Pastor can pray for you and Pastor has to pray for you for everything

We can mention all those things but at the end of the day, idolatry is a matter of the heart and the sad thing is that those caught up in this sin are often oblivious to the truth because of the rebellious spirit that comes with idolatry.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Mowire: 10:52am On Mar 24, 2011
@wetu you're right on it there. And many pastors are incapable of handling the authority bestowed on them.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by iluvnet(m): 4:08pm On Mar 24, 2011
wetu:

The signs are:
When you call him "Pastor" instead of "Pastor X" even when talking to people not from your church.

We can mention all those things but at the end of the day, idolatry is a matter of the heart and the sad thing is that those caught up in this sin are often oblivious to the truth because of the rebellious spirit that comes with idolatry.

I agree with you totally on the above. from the above, it can be asserted that some men of God would even want to do your thinking for you. That is why they prefer being called daddy or father in the Lord. But honestly, don't you all think that we the members are as guilty as these men of God? It seems we too like idolize them on he pretext that since we don't see God, they are the replicas of God but forgetting what wetu said above that they are not above mistakes.

Thanks everyone, will like more response please.

P.S. I think these men of God need prayers ooo. Also, I just pray that God will give us the grace to make heaven as some men of God can't be looked upon as examples.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by KunleOshob(m): 4:48pm On Mar 24, 2011
@iluvnet
My contribution would be 1 peter 5:1-5 this scripture details how the relationship btw the leadership of the church and the congregation should be. I would have posted the whole scripture but I am posting from my phone at the moment. Anybody who as access to an online bible should feel free to post the scripture for the benefit of all.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by petres007(m): 6:00pm On Mar 24, 2011
KunleOshob:

@iluvnet
My contribution would be 1 peter 5:1-5 this scripture details how the relationship btw the leadership of the church and the congregation should be. I would have posted the whole scripture but I am posting from my phone at the moment. Anybody who as access to an online bible should feel free to post the scripture for the benefit of all.

1 The elders which [are] among you I exhort, who [am their] fellow-elder and witness of the sufferings of the Christ, who also [am] partaker of the glory about to be revealed:

2 shepherd the flock of God which [is] among you, exercising oversight, not by necessity, but willingly; not for base gain, but readily;

3 not as lording it over your possessions, but being models for the flock.

4 And when the chief shepherd is manifested ye shall receive the unfading crown of glory.

5 Likewise [ye] younger, be subject to [the] elder, and all of you bind on humility towards one another; for God sets himself against [the] proud, but to [the] humble gives grace.

1 Peter 5:1-5
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Enigma(m): 6:08pm On Mar 24, 2011
Take the word "minister" used by many as a symbol status and by some here as connoting some special privileges.

Contrast with the intended meaning of "servant" or at least "server" and also compare/contrast with the passage referred to above.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Image123(m): 6:49pm On Mar 24, 2011
KunleOshob:

@iluvnet
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Kunle, you should post more often from your phone. Sincerely, that's impressive.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Enigma(m): 7:02pm On Mar 24, 2011
Meanwhile in that passage notice how the Apostle Peter spoke of the elders among the people without focusing on some head honcho "pastor".
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by petres007(m): 8:55pm On Mar 24, 2011
Enigma:

Meanwhile in that passage notice how the Apostle Peter spoke of the elders among the people without focusing on some head honcho "pastor".

Hmm,  you noticed too, eh??  wink

The early church ran a system with multiple mature Christians serving as elders or overseers.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by iluvnet(m): 12:07am On Mar 25, 2011
petres_007:

1 The elders which [are] among you I exhort, who [am their] fellow-elder and witness of the sufferings of the Christ, who also [am] partaker of the glory about to be revealed:

2 shepherd the flock of God which [is] among you, exercising oversight, not by necessity, but willingly; not for base gain, but readily;

3 not as lording it over your possessions, but being models for the flock.

4 And when the chief shepherd is manifested ye shall receive the unfading crown of glory.

5 Likewise [ye] younger, be subject to [the] elder, and all of you bind on humility towards one another; for God sets himself against [the] proud, but to [the] humble gives grace.

1 Peter 5:1-5

Thanks everyone for your input. I am really blessed by all your answers, especially the verses above,, "not lording it over," hmmn, that speaks volume and how I wish that many pastors will read that again and again and know that their position is not meant to victimize, lord it over or dominate the sheep under them. the fact that you are the pastor does not make you a spiritual superman above all the others.

once again, thanks everyone for your replies. God bless you all. My prayer i that God will give us the grace to make heaven in Jesus name.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by stagger: 11:52am On Mar 25, 2011
wetu:

The signs are:

Spot on!
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Pharoh: 12:06pm On Mar 25, 2011
Thank you guys for this thread and contributions.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Sweetnecta: 12:08pm On Mar 25, 2011
When he was a man amongst you, approved by God Who sent him.

Yet if you make him partner with God. such action is blind faith and it is idolatry.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Busols757: 12:13pm On Mar 25, 2011
when they start to believe that they gat to drive better cars or live in bigger mansions that their members.
Flash expensive jewerlies and so fort
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by rasputinn(m): 12:18pm On Mar 25, 2011
Hmmmm,very thought-provoking indeed
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by omo9ja1(m): 12:26pm On Mar 25, 2011
men of God are call to serve, so must respect them but worship the God of man.

I a newly appoint pastor walk in to a church unnoticed by the usher, they even fail to acknowledge someone new coming in until it was announce during the service that we have our new pastor here then 10's of the usher ran up to him help him carry his bible this was thesame people that saw him walking in but just ignore his present so so of us make some blunder the way and manner we may some of our pastors to feel.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by DeeJay20: 12:29pm On Mar 25, 2011
Oh yes i like this thread, it needs to be addressed.
There is too much "Man worship" in Nigerian churches,

But the truth be told is that, most of these Pastors
do not trully desire for there members to grow spiritually
in order for them to be responsible for them-selfs,
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by DeeJay20: 12:33pm On Mar 25, 2011
wetu:

The signs are:

hmmm oh yesss true true!!!, most christians are spiritually
lazy, so the Pastors are having a ball which too much adoration and
worship!!!
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Limaoscar: 12:35pm On Mar 25, 2011
When you the OP starts worshipping him.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by ALADE4J2: 1:02pm On Mar 25, 2011
I don't think there is anything wrong in calling your pastor "daddy" or :our father in the Lord". I do agree that there is really a very thin line between respecting and worship men of God. After all, God says in the Bible that we should believe in His prophets so that we will prosper.
Not all the so called men of God are real, but they few ones out there deserves our respect (not worship: God says my glory shall no man share). You shall no them by their fruit. PLEASE CAN I GET A WITNESS IN THE HOUSE CONCERNING PASTOR E.A. ADEBOYE AND BISHOP DAVID OYEDEPO
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by vocalist(f): 1:16pm On Mar 25, 2011
Even when the Bible says we should give honour to whom honour is due is not to the extend of WORSHIPPING THEM, DAT IS WHY I CAN NEVER LEAVE ASSEMBLIES OF GOD NIGERIA, THE MEN OF GOD ARE SO HUMBLY because THEY BELIEVE IN THE PRINCIPLE DAT SAY BE SERVANT, NOT TO BRAG, SOME OF THEM BEFORE U CAN EVEN SEE U WILL HAVE TO FILL MILLIONS OF FORMS BEFORE SEEING THEM, I MEAN IS A BIG PROBLEM CHALLENGING CHRISTENDOM

THANKS ALOT POSTER
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by lastpage: 1:26pm On Mar 25, 2011
The problem has to do with we Christians that practice "emergency Christianity" such that "Pastor" does all the work and research while we just "pay for the services" rendered! grin
If we all read our Bible regularly (instead of that Sunday-Sunday medicine grin ), maybe we will not be taken for a ride, this long?

This quote from "Sweetnecta", also caught my attention:
When he was a man amongst you (Christ), approved by God Who sent him.

Yet if you make him partner with God. such action is blind faith and it is idolatry
Bolded parts refers:
Without running the risk of "derailing this thread", l would like us to ponder on the relationship between God and Christ Jesus.
I have witnessed where Pastors (and even in my own church!) say Jesus is God.
I have heard the 'benediction' or 3 = 1 where the "father (God) = Son (Jesus) = Holy Spirit (Power of God).

But l have read it over and over again, where the Bible says Jesus is the son of God. I have read where Jesus himself called God his father (when he just rose up and said he should not be touched coz he has to report to his "father" who sent him)

But it still amazes me when l hear "Christ God"?
Mind you, it is not their (father and son) "Unity of purpose" that is under question here, it is their presumed EQUALITY!

BTW: Thank you very much "Kunle Oshoba". I have always paid attention to your contributions when issues of religion are discussed and l am tempted to say "Which Church do you attend or are you a Pastor yourself? If so, how lucky your "sheep' are! You're someone l will like to share Bible discussions with, going forward.

@omo9ja1
I a newly appoint pastor walk in to a church unnoticed by the usher, they even fail to acknowledge someone new coming in until it was announce during the service that we have our new pastor here then 10's of the usher ran up to him help him carry his bible this was the same people that saw him walking in but just ignore his presence
In my own church, "The Coalition" is made up of a group of five people (including Pastor and his wife!) and their seat is different from all the other seats in the church, so you cant miss them when you enter! wink lipsrsealed
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by fesse(f): 1:31pm On Mar 25, 2011
@ poster,

When you believe that it is only your pastor's prayer that works
When you surrenders all your daily, monthly, yearly earnings to your "daddy"
When you fail to see the chanlenges and your responsibilities instead sleep everyday in the church
When you have to ask and seek all atention from your "pastor"
Etc.

CEC,  shocked :oDUNAMIS, WINNERS CHAPEL, JESUS MINISTRY, and many of them have turn theirselves to idols.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 25, 2011
[i]PLEASE CAN I GET A WITNESS IN THE HOUSE CONCERNING PASTOR E.A. ADEBOYE AND BISHOP DAVID OYEDEP[/i]O

I am a member of the RCCG, we are not even given the chance to worship the GO, because he even makes it clear when we go to camp that he to is there to seek the face of GOD! so i dont think anyone will worship him when he to tells u there someone we all came to meet.
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by proudly9ja(m): 1:54pm On Mar 25, 2011
To be fair to some Pastors, it is we the members of congregation who turn them to idols. It was same in d Bible. Many worshipped Christ and d disciples. Its a normal human response to people who do things we can't fathom. Some even equate oyibo man.

Truth is, I've heard many pastors preach against it bt how many people can u control wat they say and do outside church? In d end on judgement day, dere will be no excuse of it was my pastor that led me to worship him, to each his own. Do what u think n believe is right
Re: When Does A Man Of God Become An Idol? by Enigma(m): 2:04pm On Mar 25, 2011
petres_007:

Enigma link=topic=630124.msg7979201#msg7979201 date=1300989770:

Hmm,  you noticed too, eh??  wink

The early church ran a system with multiple mature Christians serving as elders or overseers.

In fact in the New Testament the original word, Poimen, is translated as "pastors" (and notice the plural) in the KJV only once i.e. Ephesians 4. In other instances it is translated as "shepherd" (singular) or "shepherds" (plural). In most instances (other than parables) when the word is used in singular form it refers to Jesus Christ Himself e.g. "the Good Shepherd", "one fold one shepherd" and "the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls".

In Ephesians 4 where we find "pastors" it is actually a compound word "pastors and teachers" but this passage which is often misused with wrong interpretations of "five-fold ministry" is still using the various terms in collective form. Moreover, as you have noted, it is clear from the New Testament that Church leadership was usually in the hands of elders/bishops/presbyters (used interchangeably) and some of these elders in the earliest days included the apostles for a start and secondly some of them also were prophets, evangelists and pastors and teachers.

In the Old Testament the KJV uses "pastors" a few (maybe 5?) more times but it is easy to see that it is used primarily as a figure of speech drawn from herdsmanship. Truly it is mostly used as a noun but that noun is also descriptive of the function of the "pastors". Thus the word "pastor" can also be used as a verb such as: "Pastor" my sheep" which also = "Shepherd my sheep" also = which "Take care of my sheep"  

The critical point therefore is that the task of oversight in the Church is given to bishops/elders/presbyters (all three used interchangeably in the Bible) who are all basically jointly/together to pastor/shepherd/take care of God's people i.e. members of the Church.

Nowadays you have some megalomaniacs, some of them self-appointed and/or "spiritual vagabonds", calling themselves "Pastor this", "Pastor that" or "Pastor the other" --- unfortunately we also indulge them by also calling them that, I suppose unavoidably sometimes for politeness' sake.

Next time a person calls himself "Pastor X",  maybe we should ask him if he will also answer to "Shepherd X" or indeed "Take care of X".  smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Flaws Definition Of God Exposes In Atheism / As Christians, How Should We Relate With Unbelievers? / Why Aren’t Christians Better Off Than Non-christians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.