Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others (841 Views)

Okonjo-iweala Directs SURE-P To Terminate Pact With Firm / 8 PDP Govs In Secret Pact With APC - Saturday Sun / Nigeria Signed Pact To Import Refined Oil Under Buhari's Regime (NY Times 1984) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Beaf: 1:25am On Mar 26, 2011
[size=14pt]Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others[/size]
Written by Taiwo Adisa, Abuja Saturday, 26 March 2011

It emerged in Abuja on Friday that President Goodluck Jonathan has so far refrained from signing any pact with Alhaji Adamu Ciroma-led Northern Political Leaders Forum (NPLF) because of certain demands considered as “unrealistic” put forward by the group.

It was learnt that following the visit by President Jonathan to Ciroma’s house in Abuja in February, some leaders of the group had concluded on the need to support the president.

A list of members that would join the Jonathan campaign was actually prepared for ratification by the president.

But sources said that upon the intervention by some pro-zoning agitators, the group changed its tactics and decided to draw up some demands that would be presented to President Jonathan.

A contentious part of the demand is the quest by the NPLF to know who Jonathan would support as his successor in 2015.

The group was also said to have demanded a concrete agreement on whether the president would not contest in 2015.

A source said that the group wanted to know that if Jonathan would not seek reelection in 2015, he should give an insight to his successor.

The team selected by the president to meet with the Ciroma group was said to have found it difficult and impracticable to discuss such demands with the president.

It was, however, gathered that when Jonathan demanded to know the level of progress of the meetings, the team members said it would be better for the president to meet with the group personally.

A source said that some members of the Ciroma team opened the lid on the said impracticable demands last week.

A source close to the decision-making process said: The Ciroma group is asking the president to name his successor in 2015 and that he would guarantee their members some key ministries and parastatals. They said that once Jonathan’s successor is known, they would be able to come out strongly in his support.

“But the president is not God and he cannot possibly say what will happen in 2015 when 2011 poll has not taken place let alone say who will or will not succeed him,” the source said.

The sources further said that the president, apart from being human, is also against the culture of imposition, which the demand portends.

“The president does not own the country. He can only present himself for election and he does not want to sustain this culture of imposition that some NPLF leaders are suggesting. He believes that when the time comes, Nigerians would be made to decide on his successor after the candidates would have presented themselves for election and gone through party primaries,” the source further said.

The delay in a formal endorsement of Jonathan by the NPLF had led to a crack in its ranks last week, following the decision of some of its leaders to join a peace team canvassing for Jonathan among Northern emirs, Imams and political leaders.

The group led by former Head of State, General Abdusalami Abubakar, has Dr. Shettima Mustapha, Alhaji Bamangar Tukur and Alhaji Tanko Yakssai as members.

The consultations, according to sources, would be rounded up this weekend.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/front-page-articles/3708-why-jonathan-rejected-pact-with-ciroma-others.html
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by AljUche: 1:30am On Mar 26, 2011
if true then good one jona

ciroma is a drunk man i tell you

what has he done for us in the north other than "i am your leader" angry

people like buhari will never talk to this ciroma of a person i tell you
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by sbeezy8: 1:32am On Mar 26, 2011
I actually dont think they wanted to know who his successor will be I think they wanted to know if there is still Zoning or not in 2015 which zone north or SE and if GEJ will contest AGAIN.

ciroma wasnt alone he went also with the pro zoning SE'ers - what I read in another article

which kinda makes sense to wonder if ur from the SE or north. HAHAHAHAH
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Nobody: 4:27am On Mar 26, 2011
Good one GEJ!
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Beaf: 9:14am On Mar 26, 2011
Poor Ciroma has been totally blinded by the application of high sense from GEJ's camp. The guy is now clutching desperately at every passing straw. His very own wife is campaigning vigorously for GEJ, while his lieutenants have been locked up. Chei!
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by sochan: 9:39am On Mar 26, 2011
@Beaf,

You no dey tire? I expect you to be relaxing and helping you uncle unwrap his new plane. Do they pay you for saturday work as well?
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Beaf: 9:52am On Mar 26, 2011
sochan:

@Beaf,

You no dey tire? I expect you to be relaxing and helping you uncle unwrap his new plane. Do they pay you for saturday work as well?

See this daft zoning advocate!
Each time you guy's are defeated, you turn personal. Go and die with your beloved Ciroma.
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by gernded(m): 11:32am On Mar 26, 2011
if GEJ perform well after 4 yrs then why do we have to change the government.

all we need is fresh air.
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by juman(m): 12:58pm On Mar 26, 2011
“But the president is not God and he cannot possibly say what will happen in 2015 when 2011 poll has not taken place let alone say who will or will not succeed him,” the source said.

The sources further said that the president, apart from being human, is also against the culture of imposition, which the demand portends.

“The president does not own the country. He can only present himself for election and he does not want to sustain this culture of imposition that some NPLF leaders are suggesting. He believes that when the time comes, Nigerians would be made to decide on his successor after the candidates would have presented themselves for election and gone through party primaries,” the source further said.

Vote Jonathan/Sambo team
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by egift(m): 3:38pm On Mar 26, 2011
Beaf I just dey pity your life. grin grin grin

You keep insulting Ciroma when your Jonathan is waking up so early in the morning just to meet with him in time. You are here praising Jonathan when he is meeting with most of the finest criminals and curropt politicians Nigeria ever produced.

How many $50,000 is Jonathan giving these men?

In the light of these, those supporting Jonathan should be very ashamed - how long will you mortgage the future of Nigeria, just to stay in power?
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by kasiem(m): 3:56pm On Mar 26, 2011
Just because gej is not a person characterized with loquacity, some dumbos are taking him as an amenable fellow who can be taken for a ride. Atleast, this will go a long way in debunking that impression that gej is not a man of his own. Fresh air has come to transform.
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Mar 26, 2011
Why is this a commendable act from a man who himself sidestepped the Zoning agreement in the PDP Party constitution so he could run for president? I don’t think we really expected him to decide he would not run for a second term come 2015, which seems to be what these groups are trying to get him to agree to. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by omanzo02: 6:15pm On Mar 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Why is this a commendable act from a man who himself sidestepped the Zoning agreement in the PDP Party constitution so he could run for president? I don’t think we really expected him to decide he would not run for a second term come 2015, which seems to be what these groups are trying to get him to agree to. undecided undecided undecided

There is no zoning in Nigeria's constitution, if u feel Buhari is your hope to retain zoning, well, we shall know in few days time.  grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Kobojunkie: 6:23pm On Mar 26, 2011
omanzo02:

There is no zoning in Nigeria's constitution, if u feel Buhari is your hope to retain zoning, well, we shall know in few days time.  grin grin grin grin

Correction #1: I don't believe the CPC party has a zoning agreement designed into their constitution. That would mean the members are not subject to such an agreement since it does not exist

Correction #2: I suggest you READ AGAIN . . . .

Kobojunkie:

Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Pharoh: 6:25pm On Mar 26, 2011
To hell with zoning we need fresh air, let whoever wins the election rule nigeria be it goodluck or buhari.
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Kobojunkie: 6:28pm On Mar 26, 2011
Again, Zoning applies where it applies -- it is still in the PDP constitution and so applies PDP wide.
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Pharoh: 6:30pm On Mar 26, 2011
PDP's constitution cannot be imposed on Nigerians and as a qualified Nigerian i say to hell with zoning and let the best candidate rule the country.
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Kobojunkie: 6:35pm On Mar 26, 2011
^^^ Has anyone ever tried to impose it on Nigeria EVER??  Since when did PDP and their issues become All-Nigeria issue?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Pharoh: 6:42pm On Mar 26, 2011
^^

Yes it has been applied on all Nigeria and that's why the major opposition parties are feeding candidates from the north. That's that reason why there is no major candidate from the southeast but they are going to negotiate 2015. We do not need zoning anymore in Nigeria and death to it, pdp is a Nigerian party and whatever goes in there should be of concern to all Nigerians.
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Kobojunkie: 6:42pm On Mar 26, 2011
^^ When was it ever applied on Nigeria? When was the PDP constitution ever imposed on Nigeria? Please make sure to provide solid rational details!
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Nsiman(m): 8:41pm On Mar 26, 2011
Can they knw how many tin of nunu/milk will be milked from their cow the next day? Gej well done for rejecting that and the south is watching
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by Adelaide2: 8:58pm On Mar 26, 2011
GEJ go on, thrash the party of rascals and the pretender Buhari. All Nigerians, except the goats and sheep who do not know their right from left, are behind you.

ACN ko, Buhari Ni. Kini nje be?
Re: Why Jonathan Rejected Pact With Ciroma, Others by MaiSuya(m): 9:43pm On Mar 26, 2011
We should note that members of a party are bound by the constitution of that party; it is what they swore to uphold upon their [i]voluntary [/i]agreement to vie for office on that party's platform. that is why they are at liberty to look elsewhere if they feel the constitution is at variance with whatever ideals they hold dear.

It's for this reason I take GEJ repudiation, commendable on the surface it may appear to be, with just pinch of suya.

(1) (Reply)

12 Persons Arrested With 1 Million Presidential Election Ballot Papers In Abuja / Fashola: We Need To Review Revenue Formula / My Tears Will Judge Election Riggers, Says Bishop Erifeta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.