Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix Season (official Thread) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix Season (official Thread) (1236 Views)

Blessing Okagbare Wins Long Jump Event At Diamond Grand Prix / FORMULA ONE (F1 2013) Official Thread For 2013 Season / Formula 1 Grand Hotel - 2011 Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix Season (official Thread) by SSaemoenl(m): 9:48am On Mar 27, 2011
2011 FORMULA 1 QANTAS AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX

Hello Folks, Today is the starting season for the 2011 FORMULA1 grand prix season, The season will be interested for the lovers of the car racing as the officials FIA had made this years season astonishing by introducing systems that will make the season safety and fun through.

One one of the amazing technologies is the introduction of Movable Rear Wing.  It's introduction is a effort to assist overtaking during the course of a race.  Known as the Drag Reduction System (DRS), has been put forward by the teams as a means of improving the racing in 2011.

Drivers have the ability in certain situation to move the rear wing when close enough to a car in front.  However in a race they can not access the system other than at strictly controlled times.

Via the on track electronic timing system at designated points on the circuit, when the trailing car is within one second of the car ahead the system will be armed and the driver will have access to the system.  He will not however be able to use the system until another designated point of the track around 600 metres before the next corner.  The last point is subject to ongoing adjustment as the system is bedded in.  There will be markings on the circuit to indicate the points where the timing assessment is made and where the driver may use the system to assist spectators and TV viewers.

The FIA has also been quick to point out the system does not guarantee overtaking, merely that the driver will have a additional tool at his disposal to assist with passing.  In the end the driver will still have to execute the move on track.

Also as the system is controlled electronically there is no chance of the system being used to interfere with the race via race control to determine the result of the race.  In event of any issues with the system there is a override built in to allow its use if instructed by Race Control.

The FIA has estimated that a driver using the system will gain a sped advantage of around 10-12 km/h over the car in front.

Below is a Question and Answer on the new Drag Reduction System with Charlie Whiting FIA Formula One Race Director.

Q The big news for the coming season is the moveable rear wing rule. If we have correctly understood, the system works in this way : There is an actuator to move the flap of the rear wing, this actuator is driven by each F1 driver and it is under the authority of race control. How is race control regulating this procedure?

A There is an actuator in each wing which is under the control of the driver at all times, however, it can only be used when the on‐board electronics (FIA ECU) notify the driver that he is authorised to use it.

Proximity to the car in front will be detected before the straight on which the wing may be activated, if the car behind is less than one second behind (as judged by the installed timing loops in the track) the driver will be told that his system is “armed”, however, he may only use it when he reaches the designated point on the following straight. This point is likely to be 600 metres before the braking point for the following corner, this may however be adjusted according data gathered during testing and practice.

Q What was the thinking behind the introduction of this new regulation?

This was a proposal the teams made to the FIA with the sole purpose of improving overtaking potential, whilst not making it easy. The FIA is always willing to listen to suggestions for improving the spectacle and we have sought a solution which both pleases the teams and the spectators.

Q Are you not worried this might confuse the spectators?

There is no reason to suppose spectators will be confused. Operation of the wing as described above is simple, there will be marks (lines) on the track to show the area where proximity is being detected and a line across the track at the point where the drivers whose system is armed may deploy it. Furthermore, the television broadcasters will be sent a signal each time a system is armed and this will be displayed to the viewers.

Q Are you not sensitive to the comments that race control will determine the outcome of the race?

As explained above race control has no influence over the outcome of a race, cars will simply have to get within one second of the one in front, the system will be
armed automatically and the driver can use it at the pre‐determined point, there is no question of race control being able to intervene.

Q How will you stop drivers tail‐ending the leader to then ‘jump’ on the final straight?

If a car is able to get within one second of the leader entering the last corner of the last lap it is unlikely that he would be able to pass him before the finish line. If a car can get within one second of any other car, the driver will have the opportunity open to him, irrespective of their relative race positions.

It should be remembered though that the distance over which the Drag Reduction System (DRS) may be used is going to be tuned with the intention of assisting the following driver, not guaranteeing him an overtaking manoeuvre.

Q How will this activation/action affect the speed of the car? It is true that the speed benefit will be around 6/7 km/h or more?

From the simulation work done so far the difference between a car with and without the DRS is likely to be in the region of 10‐12km/h at the end of the straight.

Q Have you factored in the issue of reliability? After all electronic systems do sometimes go wrong?

We have written the software to allow a driver to override the system if, for example, the proximity detection failed for any reason. This would only be permitted if the team had been given a specific instruction to do so from the race director. Heavy penalties would be imposed for unauthorised use.

Q Will the rear adjustable rear wing be used in practice or during qualifying?

The adjustable rear wing may be used freely in practice and qualifying, in any place on any lap. It will therefore not be used as an overtaking device during these sessions but more of a means to gain lap time, however, it will mean that the car is geared correctly for the race. If its use was prohibited or restricted in qualifying teams would have little incentive to gear the car purely for the race at the expense of qualifying performance.

Q When do you expect that the final choice will be made in setting this new system up?

Having gathered the information we need in the final test this will happen during the coming days and the teams informed accordingly.

Q Will the FIA allocate a test session to evaluate this new system?

This has been discussed but no decision has been taken. We will discuss the possibility of using part of a free practice session in Melbourne with the teams on the day before first practice.

Q How does the moveable rear wing affect KERS?

The DRS will not affect KERS in any way, the latter may be used by all drivers at any time, the following driver of course may use both, they are however independent systems.

Q How do you think these new rules will affect the handling of the car, and in particular how will the tyres be affected, bearing in mind that Pirelli are on their first season anyway?

We think it will have little or no effect on tyres as downforce should be at normal levels when the tyres are being loaded laterally. This however is something that can only be accurately assessed after more extensive running with the system.

What other rule changes are outlined for 2011?
‐    Ban on “double diffusers”.
‐    Ban on F‐Ducts (driver operated rear wing stall systems).
‐    More stringent load/deflection tests on the front wing and the front of the floor.
‐    One additional wheel tether on each wheel. ‐    Anti‐intrusion panels attached to the monocoque around the driver’s legs.
‐    One additional load test on every chassis at a point beneath the driver’s seating position.
-    Gearboxes will have to last five races instead of four previously.
-    Introduction of a 107% minimum qualifying time.

So you are welcome. Here is the result of the Australian Grand Prix below

Re: 2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix Season (official Thread) by babyboy3(m): 4:35pm On Mar 27, 2011
Yeah Bernie killed off F1 single handed
Re: 2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix Season (official Thread) by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 28, 2011
@baby boy
Hw? I think he is doin a great job.
Nice thread. I hope d op updattes it
Re: 2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix Season (official Thread) by babyboy3(m): 4:06pm On Mar 29, 2011
The moment he said they cant refill killed off racing its harder to overtake with a car thats filled to the brink with petrol

The Pirelli tires is a car crash waiting to happen, by the time we get to circuits thats hard on tyres like Canada, you would cars pitting after 5 laps.

the stupid moveable wings, its like begging to overtake?

in the next 2 years a formula one car would be running on a 1.6 ltr engine, cars would struggle to make 200mph even with the KER

I do enjoy it, but the racing is dire! Hungarionring, Valencia, Singapore whats the point, practically no overtaking Thank God for SPA, Monza and Suzuka
Re: 2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix Season (official Thread) by SSaemoenl(m): 10:45am On Apr 03, 2011
Malaysia preview quotes - Red Bull, Mercedes, Virgin & more 01 Apr 2011

With an overtaking-friendly track, combining long, high-speed straights with technical twisty sections, there’s more than enough for the drivers to get stuck into over the course of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend. But this year there’s an additional curveball to contend with thanks to the new Pirelli tyres, which are as-yet untested in the kind of sizzling temperatures we tend to see in Kuala Lumpur. Key team personnel and, of course, the drivers discuss their chances of success at the challenging Sepang International Circuit…

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull
2010 Qualifying - 3rd, 2010 Race - 1st
“Malaysia is the first real track we go to, as Australia is a semi-street circuit. It’s hot and rains every day, but the question is when and how much? It will be a tricky one. Circuit-wise you’ve got everything in there: Turn 14 requires you to brake the car while you’re still turning into the corner, which makes it quite challenging. Looking to China, we have good memories from there two years ago. We struggled to repeat it last year, but we will go back there and try again. I like the track and I’ve got some good points there in the past. Generally the overseas races are special, as you go there a few days earlier than usual, so you get to see different things. I enjoy that and am looking forward to it.”

Mark Webber, Red Bull
2010 Qualifying - 1st, 2010 Race - 2nd
“Malaysia is a sensational circuit. It always provides an interesting race, especially with the weather. It’s a great challenge for the driver too in terms of temperature and we’ll need to see how the tyres go there. We got a lot of information from the first race and we expect our car to be good in Malaysia - I want to get some champagne and up on to the steps. China will be similar to Australia, as it’s pretty cold when we go there. I think it will be an interesting race with the rear wing due to the long straights.”

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP
2010 Qualifying - 8th, 2010 Race - DNF
"We consider Malaysia as one of our home Grands Prix, so it obviously gives us a big boost to go there and have the support of Petronas and the Malaysian people. The track itself is great as it gives you a wide variety of possibilities during every lap. You can take multiple lines through some of the corners, which is something you can do hardly anywhere else. I have always liked driving there, and I look forward to doing it again.

"There is absolutely no doubt we want to do better than in the opening race, which was a disappointment for all of us. We clearly see that as a challenge and it is much too early to write us off. Everybody in the team remains positive and is in a fighting mood. So I expect a better weekend for us to come; a weekend we can build on."

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes GP
2010 Qualifying - 2nd, 2010 Race - 3rd
"To be honest, Sepang is my favourite circuit on the Formula One calendar. It's fast and challenging with a nice layout and a real variation of corners which make it an exciting track to drive. Last year I qualified second and achieved the team's first podium of the season. I have a good feeling coming back here this year and hope to achieve a good result at the home race of our title partner Petronas.

"We had a tough weekend in Australia but the team has worked hard and we are confident that the car will be running reliably in Malaysia. Melbourne is a unique circuit and we know that we will have a much better understanding of our level of performance after the next races. I think we can surprise people next Sunday. We know that the car is fast from the last test in Barcelona, so now we have to work on proving that potential."

Ross Brawn, Mercedes GP team principal
"As the home race of our title partner, Petronas, the Malaysian Grand Prix is a very important and prestigious race for our team. The whole team enjoys our annual visit to both Kuala Lumpur and the Sepang International Circuit, and the unparalleled hospitality of our friends from Petronas and the Malaysian fans.

"We endured a difficult weekend at the first race of the season, despite having reasonable expectations after completing a successful testing programme in Barcelona. We suffered a number of problems which resulted in a far from optimum car for qualifying and the race, and then were unlucky to suffer a disappointing double retirement for Michael and Nico.

"Our priority since Melbourne has been to regroup back at our factories in Brackley and Brixworth, to review the weekend in detail, and to establish the best way to achieve the full potential of the car from Malaysia onwards. How we respond to the disappointment of Melbourne, and the challenges we faced, will be a true measure of our team."

Norbert Haug, Vice-President, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport
"The Sepang circuit presents many challenges. It has a wide variety of corners with varying radii which demand good aerodynamic stability and efficiency from a Formula One car. There are four major braking events during the lap, and extreme climatic conditions are the norm in Sepang, with high temperatures and humidity - which create a high likelihood of rain in the late afternoon during both qualifying and the race.

"The Malaysian Grand Prix is one of our home races, with our title partner Petronas headquartered in Kuala Lumpur, and Nico scored the first podium for our team last year at this circuit with a third-place finish.

"Since the first race in Australia, we have worked hard in Brackley and Brixworth to analyse the reasons behind, and to solve, the reliability and performance problems which hampered our first race weekend of the season. Our target is to be in better shape in Malaysia."

Timo Glock, Virgin
2010 Qualifying - 16th, 2010 Race - DNF
“I feel like I have got back on track very quickly with the fitness side of things and I am spending the time between Australia and Malaysia making sure I am fully acclimatised and ready for the challenge. Malaysia is one of the hardest races on the Formula One calendar and one for which fitness is very important. The heat and humidity are really punishing and so this is where the physical training really pays off. I feel like I have got back on track very quickly with the fitness side of things and I am spending the time between Australia and Malaysia making sure I am fully acclimatised and ready for the challenge. I have lots of good memories from Malaysia - I finished on the podium in 2009 after chasing the leader, Jenson Button, before the race got red-flagged due to the big rainstorm. The Sepang track has a lot of character and it’s very physical, with Turn 14 being one of the toughest corners of all. It’s a race I will enjoy so we will try to make the best of our current package and aim to get both cars to the finish.”

Jerome D’Ambrosio, Virgin
2010 Qualifying - n/a, 2010 Race - n/a
“I really learned a lot in Melbourne and I was very happy with the weekend as a starting point. I really enjoyed the whole experience of my debut Grand Prix. I learned a lot in Melbourne and I was very happy with the weekend as a starting point, so I’m looking forward to more of the same in Kuala Lumpur. I do know this track - the Sepang International Circuit - as I competed here in GP2 Asia. It’s a really interesting circuit layout and the challenge of racing in these tough conditions gives you a lot of satisfaction because it’s the best way of finding out just how fit you are. I think our focus will be on trying to do a better job in qualifying and getting both cars home again. Small but important steps for us until we get to Europe.”

John Booth, Virgin team principal
“Our focus for now is on gathering as much data as possible to plough back into the development cycle to ensure we can go on to make those bigger steps through the season. This round of long-haul races means there are few developments we can bring to the car until the next significant upgrade for Turkey. Our focus for now is on gathering as much data as possible to plough back into the development cycle to ensure we can go on to make those bigger steps through the season. This time last year we were struggling with reliability issues that were preventing us from finishing races. This year we’ve demonstrated that we are on top of that and that is a much better starting point to build upon. We know what we have to do, so whilst that work is taking place behind the scenes, the best job we can do is to keep bringing cars home and focusing on smaller incremental steps. After the cool temperatures in Australia, we now move on to Kuala Lumpur where the fierce heat and humidity are a major challenge for cars and drivers up and down the grid. The Monsoon-type downpours that we see - and which we have stopped races in the past - also represent a good opportunity as they displace the usual order and turn things into a bit more of a lottery - good for us and good for the fans. The Sepang International Circuit has two very long straights, an elevation change and fast corners which make the racing good fun for the drivers. Of course nobody has run the Pirelli tyres in the kind of temperatures we are likely to experience in Sepang. In Melbourne we did not have the degradation levels we had been expecting after the tests in Spain, and it may well be that there will be another surprise in store in Malaysia. Timo is an old hand here but it will be Jerome’s first time at Sepang, and not only will he have the circuit to learn - which he has been doing on the simulator - he will also have his first experience of driving a full Grand Prix distance in the Malaysian heat and humidity.”

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren
2010 Qualifying - 20th, 2010 Race - 6th
“Sepang is a circuit I really love. It’s big, fast and wide with some really demanding high-speed corners where you can find a lot of time if you’re really able to get the car working to its full extent. After the pace we showed in Melbourne, I think we can have another good race in Malaysia. Albert Park is a great track, but a circuit like Sepang is where the differences between the cars will start to become clearer. I’m really looking forward to using KERS Hybrid and the DRS too - the rapid change of direction you experience when the car is really in the groove is phenomenal around here, and I think both systems will make the cars look sensational, especially in qualifying. The team have looked into the floor failure we experienced in Melbourne: it seems like the bond between the bib and the chassis was damaged so the damage looked quite bad by the end of the race. It was good to see that the car could withstand that sort of punishment, but, even so, I’m looking to give it an easier ride in Malaysia next week!”

Jenson Button, McLaren
2010 Qualifying - 17th, 2010 Race - 8th
“When I started in Formula One, the Malaysian Grand Prix was one of the newest events on the Grand Prix calendar, but it now feels like an old favourite. I think Sepang’s a circuit that’s definitely improved with age: it’s always been a great track, but it feels like it’s grown into its own skin now, and is all the better for it. This is a track where you need a very efficient car - the corners here are big and will punish any car that lacks downforce. After Melbourne, when I really felt like I had a very solid car beneath me, I’m looking forward to getting out in practice to see how our package can adapt to this circuit. Obviously, one of the main considerations for the drivers is to ensure we’re properly hydrated throughout the race weekend. Until you’ve been to Malaysia, you really can’t appreciate what an oven it is - it’s the toughest race of the year physically, and a place where good base fitness carried over from the winter will stand you in good stead for the race. I won here in 2009 in some of the worst conditions I’ve ever experienced in a racing car - it was like driving through a river at some spots. Whatever the weather throws at us this year, I think we can have another strong weekend.”

Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren team principal
“Sepang is a demanding, high-speed circuit that is likely to showcase the performance of those cars with the best levels of grip and downforce, and which can best manage the tyres at what will be their hottest and toughest test so far. It goes without saying that Malaysia will be hot. It’s not only a severe test of each car’s cooling solutions, and with track temperatures expected to be between 20 and 30 degrees Celsius higher than anything else we’ve seen this year, tyre management will also be crucial. As with every season, we’re pushing hard to bring developments to the car for every race. We don’t think Melbourne showed us the best of our competitors’ pace, so that only makes us more motivated to bring as much performance to the table as possible. On paper, it looks positive: we were pleased that our Melbourne upgrade worked as expected, and the car’s performance around the high-speed elements of Albert Park suggests it will be able to cope around Sepang. Despite this, the reality is that there was a gap to pole position, and we finished second and not first. Our target is to close that gap and get Lewis and Jenson into a position where they can win.”

Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber
2010 Qualifying - 9th, 2010 Race - DNF
“I have good memories of the Sepang circuit since it was there I managed to get into the final qualifying session last year for the first time. After our good performance in Melbourne we are, of course, very motivated for the next race. The guaranteed higher temperatures in Malaysia, though, will make a big difference. I especially expect the tyre degradation to be significantly higher there, so this might result in different race strategies. Another challenge could be if we get a wet race, as this happens quite often in Malaysia. But we are now very confident about our performance after what we did in Melbourne. I hope we can continue like that with our pace. The circuit is nice with a couple of high speed corners, and the layout offers more overtaking opportunities than we had in Albert Park.”

Sergio Perez, Sauber
2010 Qualifying - n/a, 2010 Race - n/a
“Of course I’m very motivated and looking forward to what will be my second Formula One race. I think we have a good car. It is quick enough to aim for points and it was reliable. I hope we can keep this consistency and do more good races. Now after I have my debut Grand Prix weekend behind me I know a lot better what to expect in qualifying and the race, and this gives me even more confidence. I know the Sepang circuit from a GP2 Asia race in 2009. It is physically very demanding and also quite technical. Because the circuit is long it is difficult to get a lap right there.”

James Key, Sauber technical director
“It’s going to be an interesting event in Malaysia after the excitement of the first race. The weather conditions could well play a significant role during the weekend. It may be very hot with another step up in track temperature, and this will be new to everyone and the tyres. Or it could be wet, which would be a completely unfamiliar situation. So we have to see what happens and try to get the best out of whatever we face. Sepang is more of a typical F1 circuit compared to Melbourne with sweeping high speed corners and some long straights that will make it interesting for overtaking. There are also some tight corners like one and two, as well as the hairpin at the end of the lap. They are all quite tricky corners. The car will have some updates with some new bodywork at the rear and some new brake duct developments. We are looking forward to a strong result.”
Re: 2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix Season (official Thread) by lukkie(m): 11:07am On May 28, 2011
Tomorrow's race in Monaco is gonna be pretty exciting. The Monaco race uses closed narrow city streets which even passes through dark tunnels. Whoa! I can't wait. I wish Mark Webber better luck this time around though. His car has been giving him lots of issues.
Re: 2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix Season (official Thread) by semid4lyfe(m): 12:26pm On May 28, 2011

(1)

Watch Live MATCH For Free;free,any League;lets Connect4 Free / What Are Other Africans Saying About The Super Eagles Victory?? / Mourinho-"Arsenal Like To Cry".Cry Cry Babies !!.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.