Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,337 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Mysql.com Vulnerable To Blind Sql Injection Vulnerability - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Mysql.com Vulnerable To Blind Sql Injection Vulnerability (1817 Views)

Over A Million Web Sites Affected In Mass Sql Injection Attack / Facebook Vulnerable To Html Injection / Quick Sql Injection Vulnerability Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mysql.com Vulnerable To Blind Sql Injection Vulnerability by Slyr0x: 11:21pm On Mar 27, 2011
Allow me to point out a little bit of irony in this headline , a website for one of the more popular open-source database alternatives gets completely compromised using blind SQL Injection. Ouch.

Someone going by the moniker "Jack haxor" posted this to the Full Disclosure mailing list just a little while ago , giving a nice explanation of what's happened and more importantly where the vulnerable target page is (customers/view/index.html) so others can go and play for themselves.

MySQL has (as of this writing) not issued a statement yet , which probably means they're scrambling to close up and clean up the mess , whatever that mess may be. Did the attacker get into anything more than just the databases behind the website? Maybe we'll know, maybe we won't -but this is at very least very unsettling for the open-source database organization. Hopefully they have clean, check-summed backups, right?

Oh, and if you're interested in seeing the handywork that resulted from this compromise , check out this pastebin.com link , I swear I had nothing to do with that rabbit/hat graphic.

Some take-aways from this one ,

1. Never re-use passwords across too many websites of different security levels
2. Use complex pass-phrases as much as possible so they're harder to crack
3. Back up, then check-sum your backups and keep them off offline in case you need a restore point
4. Hiding the SQL error from an attacker will still get you compromised (blind SQL injection)
5. Check your code , attackers don't sleep, and won't spare you just because you're an open-source, charitable project
6. It can happen to anyone, anywhere at any time

link ---> www3.hp.com/t5/Following-the-White-Rabbit-A/MySQL-WebSite-Hacked-by-Ironically-Blind-SQL-Injection/ba-p/25359">http://h30501.www3.hp.com/t5/Following-the-White-Rabbit-A/MySQL-WebSite-Hacked-by-Ironically-Blind-SQL-Injection/ba-p/25359
Re: Mysql.com Vulnerable To Blind Sql Injection Vulnerability by Slyr0x: 11:26pm On Mar 27, 2011
Re: Mysql.com Vulnerable To Blind Sql Injection Vulnerability by ogzille(m): 8:53am On Mar 28, 2011
nawa o!!!
Re: Mysql.com Vulnerable To Blind Sql Injection Vulnerability by WebMonk(m): 10:33am On Mar 28, 2011
I guess there are no exceptions
Re: Mysql.com Vulnerable To Blind Sql Injection Vulnerability by Slyr0x: 8:53pm On Mar 28, 2011
ogzille:

nawa o!!!

Na cRious wa. .

WebMonk:

I guess there are no exceptions

No exceptions o0. . .Check http://www.zone-h.org/archive/special=1
Re: Mysql.com Vulnerable To Blind Sql Injection Vulnerability by Nobody: 12:48am On Mar 31, 2011
this is serious.

obviously these guys dont have "give up" in their books
i get at least 2 attacks daily on one of my age long projects, not a popular website

What happens if it's popular?

(1) (Reply)

How I Built A Super Blog With Little Capital | A Blogger's Testimony / Health Article Writer Needed / How To Create An Online Web Builder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.