Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,807 members, 7,802,580 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

10 Things To Learn From Japan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Things To Learn From Japan (6592 Views)

Things To Know About Yahaya Bello Apc's Replacement / Prof Mohamood Yusuf: Top 10 Things You Need To Know About The New INEC Boss / INEC's New Chairman 'Mahmud Yakubu': 4 Important Things To Know About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things To Learn From Japan by Lagosboy: 9:03am On Mar 29, 2011
10 things to learn from Japan :

[b]1. THE CALM
Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief. Sorrow itself has been elevated.

2. THE DIGNITY
Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a rough word or a crude gesture.

3. THE ABILITY
The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings swayed but didn't fall.

4. THE GRACE
People bought only what they needed for the present, so everybody could get something.

5. THE ORDER
No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on the roads. Just understanding.

6. THE SACRIFICE
Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?

7. THE TENDERNESS
Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared for the weak.

8. THE TRAINING
The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they did just that.

9. THE MEDIA
They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters. Only calm reportage.

10. THE CONSCIENCE
When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the shelves and left quietly.

Strength of one's character is reflected in one's behaviour at the crucial moment.

Character of people is what makes the character of a nation. This is something that we should reflect upon and think about[/b]
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by maclatunji: 10:50am On Mar 29, 2011
So how does this affect you and I over a thousand miles away in Nigeria?
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by mbatuku1: 11:07am On Mar 29, 2011
The nigerian psyche had been damaged over time by poverty.

It's hard to see this kind of attitude in an impoverished 3rd world country where people lack the basic necessities of life.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by bigfat05: 1:29pm On Mar 29, 2011
pastor lagos preach on preacher
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by babaowo: 1:31pm On Mar 29, 2011
Japan is quite different even from usa talkless of Nigeria so the different is clear man. Starting from leaders .
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by kunlekunle: 1:32pm On Mar 29, 2011
this reminds me of when i was working with London underground. we had an acronym  I.S.I.T
this means that everyone must be informed, shown instructed and trained.
when there is an incident you know what to do.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Bensonite: 1:46pm On Mar 29, 2011
Good tips for younger generation of Nigerians as for the old-no way. I still believe Nigerians possess 50% of the attributes listed especially in an emergency situation. With good leaders that can bring back discipline and parents doing there proper training the next generations of Nigerians can be better.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by EzeUche(m): 1:48pm On Mar 29, 2011
But Japan has unity culturally, linguistically and historically.

Where is Nigeria's unity? Not in culture, not in language and not in our many histories.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by lafile(m): 1:49pm On Mar 29, 2011
Every Nigerian admires the beauty, orderliness, discipline and decency you find abroad. When someone tells us what it takes, our response is " how it take concern us for naija".
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Beaf: 1:54pm On Mar 29, 2011
Some Nigerians are always quick to point to successes in foreign countries, yet the very same people will be first in the queue to bash any fellow Nigerian with vision and ability.
This is another Empty thread that lists goals as usual, but makes no suggestion about how to get there. Its all about being loudmouthed.

If you really wish to help Nigeria, start by helping the local talent down your street and getting others to do the same. I don't want to see these lame-brained topics dotting the whole place. They only show up our national inferiority complex.

If you believe you can do it, you will and you won't have to point at the Japanese like they are from Mars.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 29, 2011
I must say I'm shocked to see such from people who are not into Christianity religiousness
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by hackney(m): 2:04pm On Mar 29, 2011
lafile:

Every Nigerian admires the beauty, orderliness, discipline and decency you find abroad. When someone tells us what it takes, our response is " how it take concern us for naija".
EXACTLY! !
That's why you get comments that indicate we are fundamentally different like:

maclatunji:

The disparity is laughable.
It's rooted in basic biology.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by ektbear: 2:06pm On Mar 29, 2011
blink182:

I must say I'm shocked to see such from people who are not into Christianity religiousness

There are people from all religions/cultures who have admirable qualities.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by comechop(m): 2:07pm On Mar 29, 2011
this entire thread is laughable
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 29, 2011
ekt_bear:

There are people from all religions/cultures who have admirable qualities.
but reading that of Japan really puts me in shock, I've heard of their discipline but didn't know even a state of quagmire they could be so composed and maintain status quo
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by room702(m): 2:11pm On Mar 29, 2011
Lagosboy:

10 things to learn from Japan :

[b]1. THE CALM
Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief. Sorrow itself has been elevated.

2. THE DIGNITY
Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a rough word or a crude gesture.

3. THE ABILITY
The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings swayed but didn't fall.

4. THE GRACE
People bought only what they needed for the present, so everybody could get something.

5. THE ORDER
No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on the roads. Just understanding.

6. THE SACRIFICE
Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?

7. THE TENDERNESS
Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared for the weak.

8. THE TRAINING
The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they did just that.

9. THE MEDIA
They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters. Only calm reportage.

10. THE CONSCIENCE
When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the shelves and left quietly.

Strength of one's character is reflected in one's behaviour at the crucial moment.

Character of people is what makes the character of a nation. This is something that we should reflect upon and think about[/b]

How  did you know all these things

it was on the news that they didn't allow foreign media into certain places
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Vavavoom(m): 2:12pm On Mar 29, 2011
@poster your list consists of goals attainable from a value-based system that rewards hardwork.

How as 9jarians do we get back values that enforce hardwork when big brother ain't watching, how?

There was a time people queued in lines at bus stations hospitals, parks, had good sense of hygiene on the road[sub]no dumping while travelling[/how come we seek a retrace now, how? Where did it all start to go wrong? It is not impossible to do a Japan, it only requires critical self examination, each one of us-leader and lead. Change won't come from outside but from within.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by blacksta(m): 2:12pm On Mar 29, 2011
Nigeria a country ruled by monkeys /greed - take all from the can /Sit on the can.  The leadership selection process in Nigeria is highly flawed hence the confusion - until you fix that process - the head remains rotten.  If the head is misbehaving the body remains confused.

Only God knows how to fix Nigeria -  With Nigerians still clamouring for PDP ( 12 years of misrule  -- i believe is enough clear evidence) - I dont know or how else to fix Nigeria
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 29, 2011
EzeUche:

But Japan has unity culturally, linguistically and historically.

Where is Nigeria's unity? Not in culture, not in language and not in our many histories.

Nigeria has never existed as a nation or nation-state so the unity that existed among the different ethnic groups is a result of compromise and cooperation for the emergence of a culturally homogenous nigeria state.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by mbatuku1: 2:19pm On Mar 29, 2011
blink182:

Buddhuism is very strict and principled(not saying that christianity doesn't teach morality) when it comes to conduct.

I personally admired how moral conduct was highlighted when I learnt about the religion, my only problem was with its doctrines.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by EzeUche(m): 2:24pm On Mar 29, 2011
^^^

Our old religions were just as strict and principles, before we embraced these foreign religions.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:25pm On Mar 29, 2011
I really don't get nairalanders these days  undecided All the OP is saying is that Japan demonstrates a rare virtue of Nationhood that Nigerians should aspire to demonstrate when things are tough. There are 16 major ethnic groups in Japan with different religions from Islam, Hindu, Shinto, Buddhism, Brazilian Hoodoo etc. The one time when Ethnic and Religious diversity usually blinds people to their Conscience and Humanity (Crisis Situations). They chose to look beyond their differences and work as one.

It is a sorry sight to read how posters come here to discount that virtue of Nationhood and start saying R.tarded lines like
How  did you know all these things It was on the news that they didn't allow foreign media into certain places
It was all over the news everyday and the world watched.

maclatunji:

Even If the disaster happened in Nigeria like the Recent Flood Caused by the Dam or the Ikeja Bomb Incidents or Killings in Jos, Do you see the hand of common Nigerians working to ease the pain or even Churches helping out. When it comes to Haiti or even Japan, Nigeria will jump on her feet and start to Donate Millions of Dollars it refuses to use on its own people when they suffer similar crisis. guy it affects us right here. it shows you what levels of Humanity Nigerians have fallen to and how much work we need to do to get there.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nobody: 2:27pm On Mar 29, 2011
room702:

How  did you know all these things

it was on the news that they didn't allow foreign media into certain places
Certain places not the whole of Japan. Why have come out here to criticize even without reading properly?

blacksta:

Nigeria a country ruled by monkeys /greed - take all from the can /Sit on the can.  The leadership selection process in Nigeria is highly flawed hence the confusion - until you fix that process - the head remains rotten.  If the head is misbehaving the body remains confused.

Only God knows how to fix Nigeria -  With Nigerians still clamouring for PDP ( 12 years of misrule  -- i believe is enough clear evidence) - I dont know or how else to fix Nigeria  

There are so many people that can fix nigeria very fast but are not interested in the politics involved
mbatuku1:

Buddhuism is very strict and principled(not saying that christianity doesn't teach morality) when it comes to conduct.

I personally admired how moral conduct was highlighted when I  learnt about the religion, my only problem was with its doctrines.
Yes, one messed up religion but its amazing what it has produced. Not double faced christians that at he slightest opportunity they vacilate. Imagine Papa Ayo Oritsejafor endorsing Goodluck, I was like is this guy high or on designer weed. God will not come down from heaven. If we dont wake up and get things done properly nothing will change.
EzeUche:

^^^

Our old religions were just as strict and principles, before we embraced these foreign religions.
I totally agree with you, imagine public office holders being sworn in by traditional priests. Its a pity where we've reached.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by fxtopedia(m): 2:32pm On Mar 29, 2011
lesson in deed! LEL
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by remoranger(m): 2:34pm On Mar 29, 2011
@maclatunji. na wa for you
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by remoranger(m): 2:36pm On Mar 29, 2011
@maclatunji. na wa for you
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by ideylaff: 2:36pm On Mar 29, 2011
Some Nigerians are always quick to point to successes in foreign countries, yet the very same people will be first in the queue to bash any fellow Nigerian with vision and ability.
This is another Empty thread that lists goals as usual, but makes no suggestion about how to get there. Its all about being loudmouthed.

If you really wish to help Nigeria, start by helping the local talent down your street and getting others to do the same. I don't want to see these lame-brained topics dotting the whole place. They only show up our national inferiority complex.

If you believe you can do it, you will and you won't have to point at the Japanese like they are from Mars.

@ Beaf, just like GEJ is doing for us now, eeehn,, abi no be so, grin
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Pweety4me(f): 2:37pm On Mar 29, 2011
Yey! my home-land! cheesy wink
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Beaf: 2:43pm On Mar 29, 2011
ideylaff:

@ Beaf, just like GEJ is doing for us now, eeehn,, abi no be so, grin

Of course! cool
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by room702(m): 2:47pm On Mar 29, 2011
blink182:

Certain places not the whole of Japan. Why have come out here to criticize even without reading properly?

i read the whole thing. you can not tell me the whole country was like that list because the camera was ban from some places  and i believe it was to avoid embarassement.
the threadstarter made it look like all Nigerians are like animals. God forbid, if disaster strikes in Nigeria there are places where that list can be derived.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by diddysnow: 2:50pm On Mar 29, 2011
we are nigerians and africans we are as well so the difference is clear
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by ideylaff: 2:51pm On Mar 29, 2011

@ maclatunji its such a shame that rather than pick some positives out of these actions all you can do is turn a blind eye to it all

okay if you choose to do so, I hope you do not have any Made in Japan products in your house and all your gadgets are made in Nigeria cos you sound like the most patriotic/never want to travel stay at home alone kinds citizen.

What a crying shame,

even the computer wey u dey use sef, no be made in 9ija, and u come dey do holier than thou 4 NL, ish,

abi u think the servers hosting NL forum are made in 9ija,

No need to do swagga like we are doing until we start to act the swagga,

Country wey no fit build car, in 2011 na so so so so so import this import that, even common salt we dey buy bulk of from india,

Fly 50 Cent/Pdiddy in pay him big money, pay home grown rubbish money,

yet you will be the 1st to jump on here about some 9ija artist collabo with some foreign artist, and call it progress

If want to do Pick and Choose, take off those foreign made shoes u have on and wear that Leather skin raw. in its native form

so many points and u could not find one to use in you everyday being sad.  

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

$15bn Lagos-calabar Rail-line Underway / How The North Tricked Middle Belt To Fight Igbo / Edwin Clark Prevented Igbo Presidency & Caused Escalation Of Boko Haram Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.