Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,860 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate (12649 Views)

'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo / Why Buhari Rejected Wali As Acting INEC Chairman - PM News / Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Look-Alike (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Seun(m): 11:12am On Mar 30, 2011
There are two troubling things I learned about Buhari/Bakare from the following story, told by Bakare:
Former President Obasanjo had told Mallam Nasir el-Rufai to convince Buhari to substitute Bakare with Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and that if that was done, both he and Babangida would mobilize support for the Buhari campaign.

El-Rufai got across to Bakare to sell the idea. Bakare bought the idea provided it would make Buhari win, insisting that it was his opportunity to escape from public office which he was never too anxious to get involved in the first place.

In turn, Bakare and El-Rufai met Buhari to sell the idea to him. Bakare spoke first. The choice of Okonjo-Iweala, he said, would be a masterstroke because as a woman, it would attract female votes. Since Buhari was one that signed a decree on gender affirmative action nearly three decades ago, this was a golden chance to give it a practical play. Next, Okonjo-Iweala is an economist, a former finance minister—that gives the campaign a strong economic rooting. As a former external affairs minister and now the managing director of World Bank, she has strong international clout. As Delta Igbo, that solves the Igbo question of not being well represented in the current political dispensation. Finally, if the choice would earn the campaign more support and help Buhari to win, that was the main objective, as far as he was concerned. El-Rufai also delivered Obasanjo’s message as passionately as he could and Buhari listened patiently.

“If you have changed your mind about running with me, then tell me,” Buhari finally spoke. “You are the only one that can make me drop you from the campaign if you have changed your mind.”

Turning to El-Rufai, Bakare narrated, Buhari said, “Give my regards to OBJ.”
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-633717.0.html
http://www.facebook.com/notes/cee-won/casting-demons-out-of-bakare-by-dimgba-igwe-of-daily-sun/200852143269405

My two areas of concern are:

1)  Buhari was presented with a running mate who was better in every way: an experienced economist, former finance minister who convinced western countries to forgive Nigeria's debt, former world bank VP, and not corrupt.  As an Igbo woman, she would appeal to southerners and progressives, and with Obasanjo's support, they could win the South-West.  But Buhari preferred a pastor of a small church as running mate, even though the pastor wasn't complaining.  Is this good judgment? Or was the man just put off by the idea of running with an[i] Igbo woman[/i]? 

2)  Bakare was indirectly given the option of resigning to make way for a better vice-presidential candidate, and he didn't take it.  He agreed that Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was a better candidate, but he wouldn't step down unless asked to.  Why was that?  It's troubling.

I do not believe this article is fake.  If you read the full article, it's actually a pro-BB piece.  It was written by Dimgba Igwe Of Daily Sun, and originally published on this page, but it's been overwritten (bad website).  If this story is fake, then it means either (1) The journalist lied (but why should he? he's pro-Bakare and so is the article)  (2) Pastor Bakare mis-spoke.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Odunnu: 11:47am On Mar 30, 2011
I'm sure Iweala wouldnt want to team up with a despicable dictator like that
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by ak47mann(m): 11:53am On Mar 30, 2011
no vision buhari i think he belives in northern votes more than anything else,he no send southerners!!!!!!!
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 11:53am On Mar 30, 2011
I think this Buhari has strong head. He does not want to compromise. Always wanting to have his way. This presidency would have being easier if he had picked Ngozi Iweala as his vice and teamed up with ACN and other parties. I just hope his strong head will not be his greatest undoing.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 11:54am On Mar 30, 2011
ak47mann:

no vision buhari i think he belives in northern votes more than anything else,he no send southerners!!!!!!!

He can't win the presidency that way.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Lagosboy: 11:58am On Mar 30, 2011
Seun:

There are two troubling things I learned about Buhari/Bakare from the following story, told by Bakare:https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-633717.0.html
http://www.facebook.com/notes/cee-won/casting-demons-out-of-bakare-by-dimgba-igwe-of-daily-sun/200852143269405

1)  Buhari was presented with a running mate who was better in every way: an experienced economist, former finance minister who convinced western countries to forgive Nigeria's debt, former world bank VP, and not corrupt.  As an Igbo woman, she would appeal to southerners and progressives, and with Obasanjo's support, they could win the South-West.  But Buhari preferred a pastor of a small church as running mate, even though the pastor wasn't complaining.  Is this good judgment? Or was the man just put off by the idea of running with an[i] Igbo woman[/i]?  

2)  Bakare was indirectly given the option of resigning to make way for a better vice-presidential candidate, and he didn't take it.  He agreed that Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was a better candidate, but he wouldn't step down unless asked to.  Why was that?  Its troubling.

Buhari is not a feeble minded person, Buhari is not silly, Buhari knew about Iweala before he chose Bakare. How can you tell a our future president to change his mind at the last minute, whioch makes him an indecisive leader, a leader who doesnt have the ability to make the right choice.

OBJ would have never supported a Buhari presidency and it was a dummy OBJ sold to Buhari and I extremely elated Buhari did not fall for it. This is a principled man who is not an opportunist. You see everyday i continue to admire this man called Buhari, he will not bend to become president.

What does IBB stand to gain from a Buhari presidency, How many votes can OBJ deliver to Buhari. OBJ lost his ward in front of his house in Ite Eko in Abeokuta and the result was cancelled and never announced. Tell me how many votes IBB can delievr when he could not even convince his northern leaders to make him a consus candidate.

Can Iweala not participate in governance without being a VP, can she not be a minister? Why did OBJ not make her GEJs VP if he loved her so much , yeye man

Buhari is our man , May God bless his efforts and become our president in 2011.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Odunnu: 12:01pm On Mar 30, 2011
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by matiltomd(f): 12:02pm On Mar 30, 2011
If this story is anything to go by,Buhari is a religious extremist; Islam at that (with due respect to all Muslims please);he will NEVER have a woman as his running mate. Though the offer looks good,Okonjo-Iweala is 'sellable' any day but Buhari won't buy the idea one bit. But i owe him my vote any day anytime.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by blinx4real(m): 12:03pm On Mar 30, 2011
So you all don't see anything wrong in OBJ and IBB attempting to scheme their way into a position of influence in Buhari's govt? these same people who keep pushing GEJ to make stupid mistakes, yet you hammer Buhari for standing by his word?
Do you know what integrity means at all?
DO you know that it implies you standing by your decisions even in the face of an easier but definitely compromising way out.

This is the reason why Nigeria continues to fail, because we are more in love with politics than service, we love the rhetorics but can't stand by what we say

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by JimmyBoy1: 12:04pm On Mar 30, 2011
Obviously  the BB heat is getting too hot for these PDP rogues, but why are are they fighting dirty, they repeated classes 3 times yet they are unable to pass.

This post is a total falsehood and the aim is to paint Buhari as anti South- East, for the avoidance of doubt the issue of Ngozi iweala came up in ACN camp and not CPC. Dont forget this same woman was forced out of PDP government, now they are turning round to recommend her to another party.

Rubbish,
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by MaiSuya(m): 12:05pm On Mar 30, 2011
even if, for the benefit of doubt, we assume Buhari might have wanted Okonjo-Iwaeli as a running mate, OBJ and worse still IBB insisting that doing so will be the only way to ensure their support smacks of blackmail. Events have shown over and over again that those two man cannot and should not be trusted.

Buhari did the right thing, IMO.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 12:06pm On Mar 30, 2011
Jimmy Boy:

Obviously  the BB heat is getting too hot for these PDP rogues, but why are are they fighting dirty, they repeated classes 3 times yet they are unable to pass.

This post is a total falsehood and the aim is to paint Buhari as anti South- East, for the avoidance of doubt the issue of Ngozi iweala came up in ACN camp and not CPC. Dont forget this same woman was forced out of PDP government, now they are turning round to recommend her to another party.

Rubbish,

How's this supposed to paint Buhari anti sout-east. Ngozi is from the south-south not south-east.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by ojesymsym: 12:06pm On Mar 30, 2011
Seun:

There are two troubling things I learned about Buhari/Bakare from the following story, told by Bakare:https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-633717.0.html

1)  Buhari was presented with a running mate who was better in every way: an experienced economist, former finance minister who convinced western countries to forgive Nigeria's debt, former world bank VP, and not corrupt.  As an Igbo woman, she would appeal to southerners and progressives, and with Obasanjo's support, they could win the South-West.  But Buhari preferred a pastor of a small church as running mate, even though the pastor wasn't complaining.  Is this good judgment? Or was the man just put off by the idea of running with an[i] Igbo woman[/i]?  

And you do not see this as a man who is not ready to do just about anything in order to win.
You do not see this as a man who is not desperate to get that position even at the cost of sacrificing someone he had already chosen.
It does not occur to you that Iweala may actually be more useful in other capacities besides being draged into the mulky waters of politics as VP.

And since wen did IBB's opinion begin to matter to any sane Nigerian. I wud have tot that a lot of Nigerians wud gradly go to hell than share heaven with IBB.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Gbawe: 12:06pm On Mar 30, 2011
Another important thing to note about this article , if it is factual,  is that OBJ may no longer be comfortable with backing GEJ since he now wants to work for a Northern candidate still in the race. This thinking would be supported by how OBJ led Duke and Odili on in 2006 only for him to then capitulate to the North with the choice of Yar Adua. This expose from Bakare may also explain how OBJ declared publicly recently that zoning is alive and well when , to get Jonathan this far, he had said the Presidency was not zoned in the past. The treachery and self-servitude of the man is legendary. Personally , I think Jonathan has accepted a poisoned chalice.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by blinx4real(m): 12:07pm On Mar 30, 2011
seal777:

@seun,
You re just been deceitful and dishonest here : i never replied to your post bt that of a seperate thread to which u made a comment only for you to copy your comment and mine leaving the body of the whole interview to make mischief.

This is a serious act of irresposibily and a tip of wat u guys do with public post in the name of moderating.
I second your motion, The NL moderators have always been biased and never stop showing it. This is the height of irresponsible journalism and what brings disrespect to this noble profession.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by buchio7(m): 12:07pm On Mar 30, 2011
[color=#990000][/color]i respect him more for this act. He shows he is a man in control of his campaign and stands by his decision.

you critics dont find it strange dat a pdp chieftain who is 'believed' to hav installed d incumbent wld want to so graciously give buhari an easy way to aso rock?

Pls u guys shd wake up frm dis coma u r in (nt sleep again). Una no knw obj pass buhari. D man knws dat such 'trojan horse' gifts come wit evil intent.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by habayommy: 12:08pm On Mar 30, 2011
ak47mann:

true yan joo, wink
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 30, 2011
Former President Obasanjo had told Mallam Nasir el-Rufai to convince Buhari to substitute Bakare with Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and that if that was done, both he and Babangida would mobilize support for the Buhari campaign.

OP's got a lot to learn about naija politics. Reflect more about the past relationship of the bolded persons.

Buhari trusting or listening to the likes of Babangida (the man who took over from him via a coup) or Obj ( his numero uno enemy for the last 8 yrs or so) would have been his greatest folly. Finally, i hope you have not forgotten that Okonjo resigned from Obj administration for reasons we are yet to know, unless u believe the spin given to us then.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 30, 2011
Very ridiculous story and thread. Have you not considered the fact that it is ILLOGICAL FOR OBJ (a full fledged PDP man renowned for his deception and trickery) to recommend a VP candidate to Buhari who belongs to an opposition party? ? ? ? ? ? That alone  renders any further argument here futile and needless.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Beaf: 12:12pm On Mar 30, 2011
blinx4real:

So you all don't see anything wrong in OBJ and IBB attempting to scheme their way into a position of influence in Buhari's govt? these same people who keep pushing GEJ to make silly mistakes, yet you hammer Buhari for standing by his word?
Do you know what integrity means at all?
DO you know that it implies you standing by your decisions even in the face of an easier but definitely compromising way out.

This is the reason why Nigeria continues to fail, because we are more in love with politics than service, we love the rhetorics but can't stand by what we say

IBB and Atiku are already in Buhari's camp, it is all over the news.
Its the same old rotten smell.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by elcij(m): 12:13pm On Mar 30, 2011
You are all assuming Okonjo-Iweala asked for or would have accepted to be a running mate to Buhari or anyone else. This issue is not as relevant as you would initially believe.

She's a decent, well educated person and the sad thing is that most of those kinds of people avoid elected political office in Nigeria (which is what Pat Utomi is trying to change).

I will spell out what I'm saying again: It does not appear that she asked to be Buhari's running mate, or that she would have accepted (for whatever reasons) to be his running mate if offered the post. Her name was simply suggested.

And lets be frank, how many Nigerians (especially women) will really vote for another woman as a potential president now that it's clearer that VP's really are replacements after Jonathan,
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by twinstaiye(m): 12:13pm On Mar 30, 2011
Makes me not to want to believe the story sef. We were not told in the story however, whether Dr Iweala had been informed and readily accepts the offer, cos I dont see her taking up such an offer from an ex-dictator. To me, and in my view, the story get K-leg, make the K a big one for that matter.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by PeeDaVinci: 12:13pm On Mar 30, 2011
will you take the a very very delicious meal (eweala) given to you(buhari)  by your enemy (obj) ?
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by efisher(m): 12:14pm On Mar 30, 2011
He may also be a sexist! You never know.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 30, 2011
PeeDaVinci:

will you take the a very very delicious meal (eweala) given to you(buhari)  by your enemy (obj) ?

Best analogy ever! Weldone dude  wink
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Beaf: 12:16pm On Mar 30, 2011
naijababe:

OP's got a lot to learn about naija politics. Reflect more about the past relationship of the bolded persons.

Buhari trusting or listening to the likes of Babangida (the man who took over from him via a coup) or Obj ( his numero uno enemy for the last 8 yrs or so) would have been his greatest folly. Finally, i hope you have not forgotten that Okonjo resigned from Obj administration for reasons we are yet to know, unless u believe the spin given to us then.

Murtalla, Buhari, IBB, Obj and Abacha were the best of friends. All men served in Obj's and Murtalla's govts; IBB served in Buhari's govt, IBB raised Abacha in his palce and Buhari served in Abacha's govt; Buhari also served in Obj's govt.
That is the ugly group of men that led Nigeria into her present tragedy.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by elcij(m): 12:16pm On Mar 30, 2011
blinx4real:

I second your motion,  The NL moderators have always been biased and never stop showing it. This is the height of irresponsible journalism and what brings disrespect to this noble profession.

Nairaland is not a newspaper, a web forum is not journalism and Seun is perfectly within his rights to be as biased as you and I are about what we believe in,
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 30, 2011
[size=38pt]Buhari choose Pastor Bakare because he is a Christian pastor. [/size]
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by ideylaff: 12:20pm On Mar 30, 2011
[color=#000099If not for the chicanery of PDP/OBJ and IBB

What is their business in another party.

CPC is not the same as PDP as the last time I checked

If anyone did that within PDP, OBJ will be the 1st one to come out and expose the person for inter party activity/meddling,

If that is really true. OBJ and IBB should cover their faces in shame

I can understand having an input in another party but not at the Presidents/Vice President Level, naaaa

Can Buhari come to PDP and tell OBJ that he nominates/suggests Retired Col Umar as GEJ's VP,

Bunch of jokers, no shame at all, 

OBJ that does not listen to anyone now wants someone to listen to him, LOL

Is this not the same Iweala that OBJ disgraced by faxing over her appointment as Extremal Affairs Minister to the Embassy in London because she was in London (OBJ's excuse), OBJ could not even phone her to tell her in person.

Even her father confirmed this. [/color]
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by MaiSuya(m): 12:21pm On Mar 30, 2011
pro01:

Very ridiculous story and thread. Have you not considered the fact that it is ILLOGICAL FOR OBJ (a full fledged PDP man renowned for his deception and trickery) to recommend a VP candidate to Buhari who belongs to an opposition party? ? ? ? ? ? That alone  renders any further argument here futile and needless.

Thank YOU SIR!

I have to wonder, why go through El-Rufai in the first place? OBJ suddenly becoming timid? of course not. Not the OBJ that we know. The whole idea reeks of subterfuge, and Buhari, thankfully, saw through it.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 30, 2011
Has anybody on this thread consider the fact that Buhari might feel intimidated in the presence of Iweka and he may not always have his way if he chose her. grin
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 12:24pm On Mar 30, 2011
Possibly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

President Buhari Congratulates President Xi Jinping On Re-election / NPA Commissions Simulation Facility In Lagos, Saves $1m Yearly / Joint Statement By The Armed Forces & The Police On The 2019 Elections.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.