Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? (16045 Views)

The Cry Of A Heartbroken Nigerian Husband In Houston whose wife cheated / How Much Should A Potential Nigerian Husband Earn? / I Want To Divorce My Husband. Can I Get Married Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by spoilt(f): 5:02am On Jul 06, 2007
davidylan:

the marriage is effectively over, ngozi this, ngozi that. Madam pack your load and go!

she mentions the ngozis in every other post. its baffling. i wonder how many times the poor guy has heard it.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by nguage(m): 5:52am On Jul 06, 2007
why did u marry him in the first place. JUNGLE FEVER?
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by NiteAngel(m): 5:56am On Jul 06, 2007
Unfortunately, my dictionary doesn't have this phrase 'irreconcilable differences'. If you haven't exhausted all possible options, I'd suggest you seek for solution instead of seperation. I'd be willing to help in that vein.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by bodsibobo(m): 8:11am On Jul 06, 2007
Leilah

The only thing I want to ask you is are you banking on alimony payout as part of the deal?
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Echidime(m): 9:42am On Jul 06, 2007
Make sure you don't divorce him while your still living in Nigeria alse your a dead woman. I wonder why you want to divorce him in the first place, are you not enjoying his Dick again? Give us details of what the problem is, but if you really must divorce him I hope your have your passport with you to fly out back to your country immediately,cos he will after you if you marry another Nigeria guy
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by angel101(f): 11:42am On Jul 06, 2007
@poster
u need to get over ur insecurities. jeez! and make up ur mind. whats the story? cos from what i can see so far, u change it as u go along. if ur husband were my brother, i'll advise him to run before u run him mad!!! shocked
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by kambo(m): 2:26pm On Jul 06, 2007
u IMAGINE he'll one day divorce u.
u want to SPEND THE REST OF UR LIFE with him,
'NGOZI' is an imagined name etc.

u fear about A DREADFUL FUTURE that has not yet become reality,
u fear and ur attack ur fear by DIVORCING the man u ADMITTEDLY want to spend the rest of ur life with!!!
WHY NOT ATTACK THE FEAR INSTEAD of painting this forum with ur paranoia.

[ it seems u whites have it in for generating fickle reason to split up a marraige]
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by beneli(m): 3:25pm On Jul 06, 2007
@Poster.

From your posts, especially the last two, it is clear that:
1. You love your husband very much, or, atleast, like him enough to want the relationship to work.

2. You are a very insecure person.

3. Your husband is not, with all due respects, a very decent person.

The difficulties you are experiencing is not specific to inter-racial marriages, and has nothing to do with you being Caucasian and him African.

I live in the UK.
Here the divorce rate in the African and Caribbean communities is at an all time high because a lot of the men on one hand want to hold on to their ante-deluvian notions that woman should do all the house chores, yet refuse to step up to the responsibility of bankrolling the financial needs of the family.

Ofcourse that's not the only reason as in some cases the women are solely to blame, but you know what i'm trying to say.

If you have to share the financial things 50:50 then you have to sit down and discuss about sharing other responsibilities in the home as well. Otherwise things WILL go sour.

I am married to somebody who is not Nigerian, and though we can afford for her to stay at home and manage the kids, there are times when i come home to meet her exhausted and i do go to the kitchen and get my own food.
And yes, i do cook for the whole family some times   grin,  and even do the dishes  cry, and NO i am not a woman wrapper  cool.

My wife would tell you that i am as masculine and self-assertive as can be and i can see that my 3 year old son, whom i'm bringing up to be a REAL man, is begining to recognise the respect i and love i have for his mother through my actions.

You see, i want him to grow up knowing that the relationship between a man and a woman is one of mutual respect, and that a man doesn't have to lord it over a woman, in a show of physical strength, for her to submit to his authority.

So, it's not in our culture to be inconsiderate and backward  embarassed.

The point about your insecurity, though, is something you have to deal with.
Because as long as you are insecure in the relationship and you are willing to stomach a lot of the rubbish that is thrown your way, then the status quo will remain.

I hate it when some men throw up the "tradition card"  angry.

I think that it's just an excuse for laziness  angry.
Men who continue to live as if they are still in their villages are not truly representative of  the contemporary Nigerian man.

Times are changing and real men are changing with the times.
Any man who refuses to change should go to his village and look for an Mgbeke, a servant-wife, who will worship him and bear all his children,

That's my take on the topic  cool.

1 Like

Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by ebos(m): 3:58pm On Jul 06, 2007
@leilah,
All these attacks does not mean Nigerians hate, but we are to tell you the state of our minds, that is, we have to frown any negative move that will give satan an opportunity to operate in your home. You are not the Satan I mean here. You are really loved by Nigerians, no matter the way our reponses are to your post. In fact, I have come to love you more, because of the way you followed our responses. You didn't get annoyed despite all the attacks. You must be such a mature lady and responsible. So, why do you want to divorce your nice husband upon possessing all these qualities I have identified in you - patiently accepting all responses as expression of our individual opinions. Leilah, I repeat, Nigerians love you.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by PHBABE(f): 4:08pm On Jul 06, 2007
Ofcourse that's not the only reason as in some cases the women are solely to blame, but you know what i'm trying to say.

If you have to share the financial things 50:50 then you have to sit down and discuss about sharing other responsibilities in the home as well. Otherwise things WILL go sour.

I am married to somebody who is not Nigerian, and though we can afford for her to stay at home and manage the kids, there are times when i come home to meet her exhausted and i do go to the kitchen and get my own food.
And yes, i do cook for the whole family some times   ,  and even do the dishes  , and NO i am not a woman wrapper  .

My wife would tell you that i am as masculine and self-assertive as can be and i can see that my 3 year old son, whom i'm bringing up to be a REAL man, is begining to recognise the respect i and love i have for his mother through my actions.

You see, i want him to grow up knowing that the relationship between a man and a woman is one of mutual respect, and that a man doesn't have to lord it over a woman, in a show of physical strength, for her to submit to his authority.

So, it's not in our culture to be inconsiderate and backward  .

The point about your insecurity, though, is something you have to deal with.
Because as long as you are insecure in the relationship and you are willing to stomach a lot of the rubbish that is thrown your way, then the status quo will remain.

I hate it when some men throw up the "tradition card"  .

I think that it's just an excuse for laziness  .
Men who continue to live as if they are still in their villages are not truly representative of  the contemporary Nigerian man.

Times are changing and real men are changing with the times.
Any man who refuses to change should go to his village and look for an Mgbeke, a servant-wife, who will worship him and bear all his children,

That's my take on the

Thanks a lot beneli.

Dont be deceived into marrying a man that feels like its ur job to take care of the kids, go to work, cook clean etc

How fair is that, tell me how fair. I will neva marry a man like that at all. thats not love at all.

As
i said b4, i am not one to live in a dirty home, if its dirty i will clean, if there is no food i will cook (i love cooking) but sometimes, A GOOD MAN WOULD ATLEAST IF NOT ANYTHING HELP WIT THE CLEANING. IF HE CANT COOK, THATS UNDERSTANDABLE BUT HE CAN HELP WITH THE COOKING IF I ASK 4 HIS HELP, HE CAN CUT ONIONS, BLEND TOMATOES, PREP THE INGREDIENTS 4 ME. HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THAT, THATS IF I ASK HIM TO! IF HE REFUSES TO, I WILL NOT NAG, BUT, I CAN GUARANTEE THAT WE WOULD HAVE A NICE DISCUSSION ABOUT HOW IT MAKES ME FEEL!!!!!!

THATS WAT LOVE IS ALL ABOUT. SHARING AND COMPROMISE.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by ne4real(f): 5:37pm On Jul 06, 2007
@ poster

i think u just feel inferior of urself and suspicious of ur husband

if u have anything in mind bothering u against him, other than a broken marriage, why dont u iron it out with him since u claim to love him and he loves u 2

afterall, some marriages have worse problems and they make it work at the end of the day

think about it

dont make decisions u will suffer at the end of the day

"to get husband no be rice and beans"
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Leilah(f): 6:38pm On Jul 06, 2007
@echidime. I have no taste for sex I can actually live without it. I understand why you think all white women are leg opening dick craving sluts, no echideme we are not ALL like that.

I am not looking for flimsy reasons for a divorce I was CONSIDERING it due to our cultural differences in which he will NOT compromise on coupled with the fact that we have a different mentality thats not to say I dont love him I was trying to be practical and I figured should I draw the line now it may have been better than him drawing it in about three or four years time when it would be harder for our child to deal with ( of course together with the horror stories). But know what call me all the names you want. I love this person and I want the best for our family. I had gotten to a stage where I just found it very hard to understand the different mentality and felt like I was not good enough for him. But thanks to the opinions of some which have been genuine practical opinions I will be patient and continue as I normally do. I now feel a lot of it is down to laziness as opposed to culture. I will endure torture to prove it if I have to.

PS white ladies do not look for flimsy reasons to divorce for god sake especially with naija men they usualy fall head over heels with them and some of them put up with terrible S***.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Besteric(m): 8:55pm On Jul 06, 2007
Leilah,, Enough of your Naija men dissings,, as fat as you are no Sane Irish man wld marry you except the drunkards, Now brother decided to help you and help himself too buy cleaning the Mess while getting his Resident permit,,, you shld be grateful to him for hanging on that long,,. Hurraaaayyyy, its now time for Ngozi, Funmi or Adesuwa to take over and did u hear me say,, Forever and for better for worse
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by PurestBoy(m): 11:30pm On Jul 06, 2007
Please I advice you to strongly divorce your husband. I am still single and I will marry you. But na you go dey spend for me sha
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 07, 2007
you are just 26 right?

too young to feel this disenchanted with married

Your husband should learn to buckle up

if you had to adapt to his culture then he has to bend some for yours

if the bills are split 50:50 and you evne buy your own clothes(which you probably wouldn't in nigeria)

Then you need to sit him down, its not nagging and if he says it is then he's just avoiding the topic
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Uche2nna(m): 12:23am On Jul 07, 2007
Leilah:

@echidime. I have no taste for sex I can actually live without it. I understand why you think all white women are leg opening privates craving sluts, no echideme we are not ALL like that.

I am not looking for flimsy reasons for a divorce I was CONSIDERING it due to our cultural differences in which he will NOT compromise on coupled with the fact that we have a different mentality thats not to say I don't love him I was trying to be practical and I figured should I draw the line now it may have been better than him drawing it in about three or four years time when it would be harder for our child to deal with ( of course together with the horror stories). But know what call me all the names you want. I love this person and I want the best for our family. I had gotten to a stage where I just found it very hard to understand the different mentality and felt like I was not good enough for him. But thanks to the opinions of some which have been genuine practical opinions I will be patient and continue as I normally do. I now feel a lot of it is down to laziness as opposed to culture. I will endure torture to prove it if I have to.

I think you have just realized your problem. This has nothing to do with culture. Even in Nigeria, when both parties are working then it is only fair that both parties contribute in the home front.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Seun(m): 12:27am On Jul 07, 2007
Don't have any kids unless your problems are fully worked out. These advisers will not raise the kids for you.
For an inter-cultural relationship to work out, your understanding of each other must be beyond perfect.
If it is not, then quit now. It's not going to get any better when you have kids; it will be much much worse.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Uche2nna(m): 12:32am On Jul 07, 2007
@ Seun Go read her posts and then come back and modify yours. tongue
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by MP007(m): 3:08am On Jul 07, 2007
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by hbrednic: 4:06am On Jul 07, 2007
ngozi, ngozi , ngozi, ngozi this , ngozi that.
2much ogogoro( irish whisky ) no good oooh.
oyibo take am easy with ur naija loverboy.

@seun
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by oluhak: 10:01am On Jul 07, 2007
Quite unfortunate u are in this mess, pls i implore u to reconcile vividly with ur man, scoop for his friends/relatives to intervene for a better attitude from u both. If nothing happens at the end of the day, pls feel free to contact me via abbeyodunayo@yahoo.com for an alternative remedy.

Olu-hak
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Caradona(f): 7:22pm On Jul 07, 2007
Just tell him you're dating a Suicide Bomber
trust me, no Naija man is willing to die and give up his pepper soup and pounded yam for any woman
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by honeric01(m): 10:49pm On Jul 07, 2007
funny how time flies, if you don't want him anymore, please do the right thing, there are 1001 women out there looking for a nice, caring husband like him, have you ever told him to come assist you in the kitchen before? well as for me and my house, we all can cook cos we are all boys, our mom taught us everything about cooking, if you want a cook as a husband, come back to Naija, you will get alot to shop on,
and if you think you need the proper hubby that would do all these things for you, please from my advice, why not look for a white man to marry? that marriage should last for 1 year and then you will get another one for another year, period, that's how white men take marriage as, contract marriage, bring i bring, bang i bang, discreet marriage, laid back marriage. you need to stick to your old ways in the western world, i think that is the one that suites you,
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by MILITIA(f): 3:59am On Jul 08, 2007
Caradona:

Just tell him you're dating a Suicide Bomber
trust me, no Naija man is willing to die and give up his pepper soup and pounded yam for any woman

grin Shay you know now? That is why most of them look 12 months pregnant! Alameyesiegha belle syndrome!  Laff wan kill me!
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by hbrednic: 6:26am On Jul 08, 2007
abeg who dey mention pepper soup and pounded yam here ?
na my all time favourites grin abeg make una no joke go that side ooooh.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by MILITIA(f): 12:21pm On Jul 08, 2007
Uche2nna:

@ Seun Go read her posts and then come back and modify yours. tongue

MP007:

hbrednic:

ngozi, ngozi , ngozi, ngozi this , ngozi that.
2much ogogoro( irish whisky ) no good oooh.
oyibo take am easy with your naija loverboy.

@seun

Please pardon him. grin The poor man just woke up from sleep. You think it is easy to run Nairaland? tongue
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by nguage(m): 5:38pm On Jul 08, 2007
this overweight irish woman sef. u should be happy a Nigerian man stooped so low to marry your frigid self
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by spoilt(f): 9:23pm On Jul 08, 2007
n-guage:

this overweight irish woman sef. u should be happy a Nigerian man stooped so low to marry your frigid self

you dont need to be so harsh. grin
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Leilah(f): 7:41pm On Jul 09, 2007
Hope everyone is happy now. I am a fat used alcoholic white lady according to besteric and gauge. You really know how to paint a good picture for yourselves.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Leilah(f): 7:48pm On Jul 09, 2007
instead of encouraging me here I am called name like this? do you think many white ladies want to live by a different culture? I am one who is and look what besteric and m guage have said? that has really upset me.
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Leilah(f): 8:02pm On Jul 09, 2007
also what makes you think i am fat?
Re: How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 09, 2007
Leilah:

instead of encouraging me here I am called name like this?

You need to be encouraged to keep your marriage together? The onus lies on you and your husband, whether your marriage succeeds or not has nothing to do with ours. Its up to you both to decide your own futures, if you didnt need any encouragement to get married you certainly dont need one to keep ur marriage.

Appologies for the names.

Leilah:

do you think many white ladies want to live by a different culture?

It is the inherently snobbish attitude as evidenced by statements like this that have gotten everyone's backs against the wall. Do you also think that many Nigerians are dying to live by the white culture? You should be pleased that one is interested, the vast majority of Nigerians i know would prefer to settle with a partner with similar culture. No one is begging the white ladies to live by a different culture, you walked into it with your eyes open so live with it!

Leilah:

I am one who is and look what besteric and m guage have said? that has really upset me.

Sorry if besteric and n-guage have upset you with strong language but do you really think you were doing us a favor by choosing to live with a Nigerian?
Last i checked no one is frankly bothered.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Would You Accept Or Reject A DNA Paternity Test If It Is Offered For Free? / How Can One Overcome Language Barrier In Marriage? / Share Your Funny Childhood Behavior

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.