Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,878 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (64707 Views)

What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy / Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by babiifaace: 11:10am On May 10, 2012
Sorry for the late reply,i have answered you.Cheers

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by ikakahu(m): 10:30am On May 11, 2012
people should stop telling lies in order to get customers/clients.I totally agree with kunle A.It was all about about this 48 hrs(2 days) period of car delivery that made me venture into such a deal.After 1 wk and 2 days,I ve not yet got my delivery although the biz was not done with the poster but with another dealer who also promised that I will get the car under 48 hrs.My anger here is even if its going to take a month,tell your customer the truth.The most annoying part is that all the gist the guy told me about buying a car in cotonou were all false ranging from prizes to duration of delivery.When you get there,it ll be another story again.From stories to stories.You may even find out that you ve spent more what you would have bought the car in lagos although my main concern was to choose from varieties and not cost cos of my high taste(not by my making) BUT I MUST SAY THE TRUTH THAT I EVEN BOUGHT THE CAR MORE EXPENSIVE THAN I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT IN LAGOS.I ve vowed never to venture into such a deal again as next time I ve it in my to get another car,I will simply walk into car shop here in naija .Its only good for those that want to smuggle their cars to nigeria but if you want to pay full duty,my brother,my sister,buy it here in naija or even look for a reliable friend or relation that will buy it for you in U.S.
lest I forget,They told me that cotonou people don t work their cars,that they sell it as it comes but that's a clear lie which I confirmed by my self.They have workshops where they work accident cars and some of these workshops are even within the auto sales yard.I tell you,it was a bitter experience and a case of misinformation and I believe that most people must have experienced this as well.Even when I told two of my friends about this,they equally told me that they had such an ugly experience too,that if i had told them that I was going to cotonou to buy the car,that they would have discouraged me.I don t have time because of my busy schedule but I promised my self that I am going to put a write up as regards this.PLS IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAD A DECENT DEAL IN COTONOU,COME AND SHARE IT HERE BUT IF YOU THAT YOU HAD AN UGLY ONE,ALSO EDUCATE OTHERS SO THAT THEY DON T MAKE MISTAKES.

One more important advice,never change a huge sum of amount when going.You can change like 20K so that when you ve have seen by yourself and confirmed that all they told you were lies,you can kindly come back to naija and chang your money to naira and you won t loose so much money.I was cajoled into changing over a million naira and when I saw the truth,I notice that changing the money back would result to more losses and what if being robbed on the way?So that was a serious challenge to me too as I had no option than to buy there.

I am not here to ridicule any body's bussiness but just the sincere truth and experience is what am sharing with you because if you are not well informed,you will be deformed and you know what that means.ALWAYS BE TRUTHFUL!!!

15 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by master2(m): 11:26am On May 11, 2012
ikakahu: people should stop telling lies in order to get customers/clients.I totally agree with kunle A.It was all about about this 48 hrs(2 days) period of car delivery that made me venture into such a deal.After 1 wk and 2 days,I ve not yet got my delivery although the biz was not done with the poster but with another dealer who also promised that I will get the car under 48 hrs.My anger here is even if its going to take a month,tell your customer the truth.The most annoying part is that all the gist the guy told me about buying a car in cotonou were all false ranging from prizes to duration of delivery.When you get there,it ll be another story again.From stories to stories.You may even find out that you ve spent more what you would have bought the car in lagos although my main concern was to choose from varieties and not cost cos of my high taste(not by my making) BUT I MUST SAY THE TRUTH THAT I EVEN BOUGHT THE CAR MORE EXPENSIVE THAN I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT IN LAGOS.I ve vowed never to venture into such a deal again as next time I ve it in my to get another car,I will simply walk into car shop here in naija .Its only good for those that want to smuggle their cars to nigeria but if you want to pay full duty,my brother,my sister,buy it here in naija or even look for a reliable friend or relation that will buy it for you in U.S.
lest I forget,They told me that cotonou people don t work their cars,that they sell it as it comes but that's a clear lie which I confirmed by my self.They have workshops where they work accident cars and some of these workshops are even within the auto sales yard.I tell you,it was a bitter experience and a case of misinformation and I believe that most people must have experienced this as well.Even when I told two of my friends about this,they equally told me that they had such an ugly experience too,that if i had told them that I was going to cotonou to buy the car,that they would have discouraged me.I don t have time because of my busy schedule but I promised my self that I am going to put a write up as regards this.PLS IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAD A DECENT DEAL IN COTONOU,COME AND SHARE IT HERE BUT IF YOU THAT YOU HAD AN UGLY ONE,ALSO EDUCATE OTHERS SO THAT THEY DON T MAKE MISTAKES.

One more important advice,never change a huge sum of amount when going.You can change like 20K so that when you ve have seen by yourself and confirmed that all they told you were lies,you can kindly come back to naija and chang your money to naira and you won t loose so much money.I was cajoled into changing over a million naira and when I saw the truth,I notice that changing the money back would result to more losses and what if being robbed on the way?So that was a serious challenge to me too as I had no option than to buy there.

I am not here to ridicule any body's bussiness but just the sincere truth and experience is what am sharing with you because if you are not well informed,you will be deformed and you know what that means.ALWAYS BE TRUTHFUL!!!
God bless u. Exactly what u said was my experience @ cotonu. Infact the agent is yet to return my N30k despite all the expense incurred.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by balogunsam(m): 11:56am On May 11, 2012
babiifaace: Sorry for the late reply,i have answered you.Cheers

i have not seen the reply bro. Did you reply via d same email address i mailed you through?
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by jbak: 1:51pm On May 11, 2012
Please can we have any of the clearing agents give the typical cost for clearing a car in Lagos in comparison with the cost of clearing from cotonou.

For example, I was informed by a Lagos Port based agent that cost of clearing a 97-98 Camry in Lagos is 200-220k (depending on the terminal)

Can any of the agents who clears at cotonou give a quote for clearing same car (97-98 Camry) at cotonou via the proper channel.

Hopefully, that would give a clear picture for the average person to decide.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Austino2955: 5:54pm On May 11, 2012
@IKAKAHU i support just what u narrated , i had thesame sad story of low price in cotonue and delivery under 24 hours all are lies, i even advice the moderators to ban these cheats who advertise car deal of cotonue stock they are reap off and as good as nothing . Even when i bought my car in cotonue these dealer/agents will not tell u what fees u are to pay not untill you have payed for the car they will start rolling out one fee or the other which will make mess of the cheapness of car in cotonue with the excuses of ohhh! I forgot to tell u about this fee or that fee. Worst still, these agents will remove some components from ur car which u will not notice until u get home . Like my, the wiper engin, fuel guage, padded chrome, water pump and the exhust fuel saver were all remove and replaced with fake once and some even non was replaced at the period of one month my car stayed with them. @ the 24 hour i was told the car will be deliver, the car stayed one month before it was delievered with the stories of their is problem between police, custom and the crossers/agents, for that reason the federal government place ban on car coming and going to cotonue, they will tell u to bring more money to settle so that u can get ur car. At the end my brother what i spent became more than the price i was given the same car in nigeria, this rise when u pay for the car, pay duty to the BENE government, pay duy to Nigeria government, pay the crosser/agent, u can see it is betterr u buy in nigeria. Infact, i regrated it. If u want to fall one form of victim or the other go to cotonue and buy car but if u donnot want buy in naija soil. My story is out of experience. To be forewarn is to be forearmed.

2 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by jbak: 1:26pm On May 16, 2012
No Custom agent reponding?
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by ikakahu(m): 9:00am On May 18, 2012
where are those cotonou-nigeria car dealers in NL.If what we have said is a lie,they should come out and counter it.Money made from LIE and DECEIT can only be used to patronize love peddler,settle police case,pay hospital bills(regularly),drinking to stupor and other unnecessary things.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by sholatech(m): 10:22am On May 18, 2012
I always hear of issues with Cotonou deals, but I think its not as badly painted. The same way that you have people condemning importing cars from USA due to people sent money abroad and couldn't perform.
I have dealt with a Nairaland dealer..Femmy2010 late last year for my wife's car. Car was sound-engine and transmission and delivered within days with the customs papers.
Only thing not in the car was Oxygen Sensor/what someone here called exhaust fuel saver. I also imported two months ago for a friend Honda EOD from USA via Iaai and same car condition-excellent engine, transmission but heated sensors to be replaced.
So it might not be good to generalise. Some cars might be far cheaper because of non-payment of customs duty, for those that want that option. However, I do not generalise by saying all DEALERS, whether cotonou or friends in USA/auction dealers are FAKE
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Austino2955: 10:56am On May 18, 2012
@sholatech are u holding brief for those cheat IKAKAHu has requested that hundreds of them in NL should prove the allegation which an experience person had aledged on them, hence keeping quiet means acceptant of the alegation and the courses that follow their dubious business attitude abd that is why such people die miserable.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 14, 2012
phoneworks: A friend told me his car dellar demanded N250,000 to pay for this duty in december after buying a toyota 2001 siena, But getting at custom one other day they impounded him and took 40k claiming duty was not fully paid. How do we verify if duty is fully paid,

Most cars duty is 20% of the cost of the car then you will add both the agents fee and some little expenses he will have to make on certain offices inorder to get a quick release of the car. So if you are told your car duty was not completed what u will be asked to do is go back for re-evaluation and the addition will be paid. So if they collected money on the road for you that's not govt money ok.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2012
kelly27: @femmy2010, i would be glad to get a reply to my 2nd question.

I learnt custom duty costs abt 200k though depending on d car. Does it include both nigeria n cotonou custom duties?

I need clarification pls. thanks

When you are buying a car in cotonou you pay both the duty and the cost of the car at once its the car seller that collects the duty from you so its included in your car cost and their duty is the same for all cars,then if you are bringing it into nigeria you will be REQUIRED to pay nigeria customs duty also
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by century106: 3:12am On Dec 08, 2012
ikakahu: people should stop telling lies in order to get customers/clients.I totally agree with kunle A.It was all about about this 48 hrs(2 days) period of car delivery that made me venture into such a deal.After 1 wk and 2 days,I ve not yet got my delivery although the biz was not done with the poster but with another dealer who also promised that I will get the car under 48 hrs.My anger here is even if its going to take a month,tell your customer the truth.The most annoying part is that all the gist the guy told me about buying a car in cotonou were all false ranging from prizes to duration of delivery.When you get there,it ll be another story again.From stories to stories.You may even find out that you ve spent more what you would have bought the car in lagos although my main concern was to choose from varieties and not cost cos of my high taste(not by my making) BUT I MUST SAY THE TRUTH THAT I EVEN BOUGHT THE CAR MORE EXPENSIVE THAN I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT IN LAGOS.I ve vowed never to venture into such a deal again as next time I ve it in my to get another car,I will simply walk into car shop here in naija .Its only good for those that want to smuggle their cars to nigeria but if you want to pay full duty,my brother,my sister,buy it here in naija or even look for a reliable friend or relation that will buy it for you in U.S.

Thanks for sharing your experience... Tonight marks my fourth sleepless night since I was cajoled into buying a car from Cotonou. I went to Cotonou last week but to my dismay I found out that things are not the same, but I did bought the car all the same because I saw an amazing clean ride there, I was also made to pay some extra money for custom clearing and was told to keep some amount down to pay the driver that will bring the car to Lagos... When I got back to Lagos and went straight to different auto shops to price same car and I discovered the difference in price is just N25,000 to N35,000, if my problems ended there, the small price difference would have been a consolation. My sleepless night started on Monday when the agent called asking me to keep his payment for accompanying me to Cotonou, this new development didn't shake me as it just cancel the price difference between buying it in Nigeria and in Cotonou. I inquired from the agent when I will get the car I already paid for, he said I should keep the money for the driver ready by the next day (Tuesday). On the next day (Tuesday), he called saying that because he hadn't paid the driver in advance that the driver didn't bring the car and that I need to send the money so that he can give it to the driver and that the car will be in Nigeria the next day (Wednesday). With all speed I went to deposit the money into his account, Wednesday came and pffffd, I called, was told the driver hasn't got a booking yet (what booking), oh be patient, I told myself... Thursday came and pffffffd, I called, was told the driver just got booking but had to bring other cars, that he will bring mine on Friday, this meant another sleepless night, my head had informed my mind... oh be patient, one last day to go, I reassured myself... Friday (yesterday) came, I called and was told the car will come in today Saturday... Hehehehe I for don jeje buy my car for Lagos here, register and drive! During the last call, I asked the agent to explain why the delay after I was made to pay for clearance, it was handed down to me that the almost 600,000 CFA I paid for clearing was only for Cotonou side and that my Car is passing through bush and that there is a little hiccups between drivers and the customs, that I should be patient until the fuss between them reduce. And he (the agent) also told me to keep some money down to get some custom duty documents when the car comes... As you can tell from when this post is made, am keeping vigil now not because I have insomnia or observing it for religion sake, NO O na car wey I buy for Cotonou wey if I put my expenses together don pass the price wey some Lagos dealers dey sell the car for here, now I spent higher amount, haven't seen the car after one week! Learn from me

5 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by mich2012: 12:04pm On Dec 08, 2012
century106: Thanks for sharing your experience... Tonight marks my fourth sleepless night since I was cajoled into buying a car from Cotonou. I went to Cotonou last week but to my dismay I found out that things are not the same, but I did bought the car all the same because I saw an amazing clean ride there, I was also made to pay some extra money for custom clearing and was told to keep some amount down to pay the driver that will bring the car to Lagos... When I got back to Lagos and went straight to different auto shops to price same car and I discovered the difference in price is just N25,000 to N35,000, if my problems ended there, the small price difference would have been a consolation. My sleepless night started on Monday when the agent called asking me to keep his payment for accompanying me to Cotonou, this new development didn't shake me as it just cancel the price difference between buying it in Nigeria and in Cotonou. I inquired from the agent when I will get the car I already paid for, he said I should keep the money for the driver ready by the next day (Tuesday). On the next day (Tuesday), he called saying that because he hadn't paid the driver in advance that the driver didn't bring the car and that I need to send the money so that he can give it to the driver and that the car will be in Nigeria the next day (Wednesday). With all speed I went to deposit the money into his account, Wednesday came and pffffd, I called, was told the driver hasn't got a booking yet (what booking), oh be patient, I told myself... Thursday came and pffffffd, I called, was told the driver just got booking but had to bring other cars, that he will bring mine on Friday, this meant another sleepless night, my head had informed my mind... oh be patient, one last day to go, I reassured myself... Friday (yesterday) came, I called and was told the car will come in today Saturday... Hehehehe I for don jeje buy my car for Lagos here, register and drive! During the last call, I asked the agent to explain why the delay after I was made to pay for clearance, it was handed down to me that the almost 600,000 CFA I paid for clearing was only for Cotonou side and that my Car is passing through bush and that there is a little hiccups between drivers and the customs, that I should be patient until the fuss between them reduce. And he (the agent) also told me to keep some money down to get some custom duty documents when the car comes... As you can tell from when this post is made, am keeping vigil now not because I have insomnia or observing it for religion sake, NO O na car wey I buy for Cotonou wey if I put my expenses together don pass the price wey some Lagos dealers dey sell the car for here, now I spent higher amount, haven't seen the car after one week! Learn from me

Wow! Sorry bro. Thank God I didn't venture in this Cotonou thing. I hope you do get your car at least. All these guys are liars.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by century106: 8:40pm On Dec 09, 2012
mich2012:

Wow! Sorry bro. Thank God I didn't venture in this Cotonou thing. I hope you do get your car at least. All these guys are liars.

Take my advice, never do it the Cotonou way... Take your time visit several car dealers in Nigeria, improve your bargaining skills and you will get your dream car and at a reasonable cost here in Nigeria, stress-free except if you want to enjoy what I have had to suffer... My car finally came in, thank God for that but I tell you, it wasn't easy and I foresee more spending as I do not intend to drive a car without all complete valid documents which means my overall amount for this car will greatly pass the amount I would have spent if I had bought the car here in Nigeria with Lagos cleared customs paper... It's been an experience though!
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by samir101ng(m): 2:07am On Dec 10, 2012
Wow !!! Plenty of sad stories here from Cotonou. However, if I may contribute a little to this thread, it seems some people didn't do their homework well and they trusted the wrong people. Finding honest & straight forward car agents to cotonou is a losing battle nowadays. Most are cheats, crooks and generally shady guys out to dupe people of their hard earned money. Yes, buying a car in cotonou has its advantages compared to Lagos. Whether they are major enough to convince you is up to the buyer. A major failing however that Nigerians are known for is avoiding payments of custom duty. Whether your importing from the USA or buying in Cotonou you must pay duty. Whether you choose to pay or looking for a cheaper alternative will determine the cost you will incur.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Ndata(m): 10:53am On Dec 15, 2012
@ babiifaace
HI all,i have been observing this trend for a long time and couldn't say anything becos i didn't know about the subject matter. Both i just came back from cotonou on friday. I went there bought a car and paid all custom duties and everything took 5days plus the public holiday on Tuesday.I must tell u, if u want a good car that u are sure of and ur budget is small, go to cotonou urself. The car i bought,these People called agents or dealers in NairaLand will tell u 1.3mill to get it to Lagos and so on,but i bought, paid all custom duties,hotel,feeding and transport for far less than 1million.So i final conclusion is cotonou cars are cheaper and better,i drove down to Abuja without even adding water to the car,no problem what so every.
But i must say something i observed, our Nigerian guys,go there to buy accidented cars,damaged cars and repair them in cotonou before bring them to Nigeria without paying the required Nigerian custom duty. They buy cars that there speedometer has gone over 200,000 km and reduce them. So i suggest u go urself, pay,clear and followup.

If i may ask,doing the clearing yourself with the customs don't you think you might have been cheated? I am sure using an agent will have been a better option as they will know the actual amount to be paid to the customs.I don't trust those naija customs at seme border.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Pkautos: 3:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
I think its all about who you entrust your cash with in cotonou 2 yrs a friend of mine bought a mazda 626 automatic inclusive of registration @ 530 from cotonou and twas delivered 72hrs.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by abdulkadir(m): 1:17pm On Dec 20, 2012
in my location things are not this difficult. the prices of cars with genuine custom papers are usually different. all you need do is ask does d car have "duty" or not and hardly will d dealer lie to you.
if you are getting from benin directly ("order" it is called) thru a dealer he charges you for his services. dat deosnt rule out completely dat he make additional gain but be sure d car will be smuggled in. depending on wat you offer or d greed of d dealer ur car will drive on d raod all thru to ur house in abt 10 days.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by osehill(m): 12:59am On Dec 30, 2012
Hello Fellas,
am planning on importing cars from Canada to to Nigeria, was wondering if its better to ship to Nigeria or Benin Republic, can anyone help me please?
ose
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by aboabdallah: 6:06pm On Feb 01, 2013
I am Cotonou car dealer, I have over 200 cars in Cotonou
if anybody need help here on Nairaland, or in Cotonou
I can happely help.

I want to erase the bad rep that all the nigerian scam agents are giving us

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by lumideezle(m): 7:18pm On Feb 02, 2013
I have read all the sad stories if cotounu cars but my brother bought his car from coutonu and his experience was fantastic. My advice is this, if you want to buy a car there just go by your self do not use agents. Its like buying a shirt from the market do you need an agent for that do your research properly and go and buy your thing your self
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by aboabdallah: 7:31pm On Feb 02, 2013
lumideezle: I have read all the sad stories if cotounu cars but my brother bought his car from coutonu and his experience was fantastic. My advice is this, if you want to buy a car there just go by your self do not use agents. Its like buying a shirt from the market do you need an agent for that do your research properly and go and buy your thing your self
THANK YOU. This is what Iam trying to learn people Cotonou is good , but the agents are the problem . They Come to Cotonou and make problems only . Real scammers
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by viperman: 7:34pm On Feb 03, 2013
Why buy a car from cotonou and wait for days in anxiety for something you can just buy in lagos here from us at an EVEN CHEAPER RATE??
Join the smart customer line! Buy your cars from:

www.viperautos.com
www.facebook.com/ViperAutos
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by chinebu(m): 7:25am On Apr 16, 2013
Hi everyone,

Please can someone educate me about custom impounded cars. I have been seeing advert recently and the prices are so tempting.

Are they real and if so what are the risks.

I will appreciate your good hearted advise.

Emmanul
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by tsharp(m): 8:39am On Apr 16, 2013
I also had a damaging experience with this cotonou thing. As I speak, the car I bought is roasting under the sun in my compound because the the gear brainbox was stolen after purchase and the dealer drove it down like that, and evaporated into thin air before I made the discovery. And this, after the car came 2 weeks later than the advertised 48 hours.

I have explained everything on the guy's thread and won't want to repeat myself here. I just want to reiterate what others have said, which is that the truth is very hard to come by with these cotonou merchants. Is it better to buy in Lagos? I don't know. Should one go by one's self and shine their eyes throughout the process? Perhaps. But one thing is for sure - be ready for some kind of inconvenience with this thing.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2013
miqos02: i called a custom officer to tell me what i need to do if i bring in a vehicle from cotonou. he said i should not try it that its very risky. pls whats ur experience

Actually my dad was born in Rep of benin which makes me a native and i sell cars in Lagos,can can check some of posts, i even have one trending right now under the heading,cheaper cars available in cotonou.

i will want to start with this question,under which command does the officer you spoke with serve cos if he knows his job,he will tell u in lagos state,there are various commands like the port command,seme command and idiroko command and he will also tell you that with the new mordernization project, all customs command have been integrated into a central database with the HQ in Abuja,which means you can now pay your duties at any point of entry,either seme or idiroko and drive off with ur car without hassles.

i have discovered most of the rumors we hear about cotonou cars were started by dealers in Lagos who for selfish reasons don't want buyers to go into cotonou for cars,do you want to tell me there are no accidented cars coming in through Lagos ports,go to testing ground in alausa and ask for galaxy,for just 2,500 naira he'll change a car's mileage,is he in cotonou changing mileage of cars,many of these sharp practices where started by customers who come into cotonou and because the cant spare cash for duty,tell the agents to fly it and when it is impounded,they will not tell the truth,they will rather tell the whole world that it was the agent's fault.

All you need to do when you need a car from cotonou is that you follow reliable and trustworthy agents and you must be physically present during the process of buying the car and payment of duty and if possible have a mechanic with you,most Nigerians will tell you they have cars in cotonou,it is a lie,only whites and Arabs are allowed to sell in the parks while the Benin citizens are agents.

if an agent cant assure you he can get your car for you with original custom duty certificates,he is a scammer

for more details please go to this topic "cheaper cars available in cotonou" and see evidences or CALL/ CONTACT GBENGA (AKOGUN) ON 08062948193,08085434102,+22967440978(MTN BENIN) OR BB-29CB1653
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 4:15pm On Apr 16, 2013
viperman: Why buy a car from cotonou and wait for days in anxiety for something you can just buy in lagos here from us at an EVEN CHEAPER RATE??
Join the smart customer line! Buy your cars from:

www.viperautos.com
www.facebook.com/ViperAutos

papa scapin,this Akogun,ur fellow dealer,please let people also buy from us to o,no chop d money alone.
you have always known me to be a reputable car dealer and to fellow niaralanders,Viper auto is a name to reckon with when it comes to cars in lagos state and nigeria.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by abdulkadir(m): 7:32pm On Apr 16, 2013
chinebu: Hi everyone,

Please can someone educate me about custom impounded cars. I have been seeing advert recently and the prices are so tempting.

Are they real and if so what are the risks.

I will appreciate your good hearted advise.

Emmanul

most people will tell you stay clear, i will most probably gowith them. Impounded cars cars are auctioned so having a price wagon them raise questions. I don't want to believe custom officers are not business minded that they would not have sold those cars to themselves at those "tempting" prices.
good luck
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by aboabdallah: 8:52pm On Apr 16, 2013
saintjoel:

Actually my dad was born in Rep of benin which makes me a native and i sell cars in Lagos,can can check some of posts, i even have one trending right now under the heading,cheaper cars available in cotonou.

i will want to start with this question,under which command does the officer you spoke with serve cos if he knows his job,he will tell u in lagos state,there are various commands like the port command,seme command and idiroko command and he will also tell you that with the new mordernization project, all customs command have been integrated into a central database with the HQ in Abuja,which means you can now pay your duties at any point of entry,either seme or idiroko and drive off with ur car without hassles.

i have discovered most of the rumors we hear about cotonou cars were started by dealers in Lagos who for selfish reasons don't want buyers to go into cotonou for cars,do you want to tell me there are no accidented cars coming in through Lagos ports,go to testing ground in alausa and ask for galaxy,for just 2,500 naira he'll change a car's mileage,is he in cotonou changing mileage of cars,many of these sharp practices where started by customers who come into cotonou and because the cant spare cash for duty,tell the agents to fly it and when it is impounded,they will not tell the truth,they will rather tell the whole world that it was the agent's fault.

All you need to do when you need a car from cotonou is that you follow reliable and trustworthy agents and you must be physically present during the process of buying the car and payment of duty and if possible have a mechanic with you,most Nigerians will tell you they have cars in cotonou,it is a lie,only whites and Arabs are allowed to sell in the parks while the Benin citizens are agents.

if an agent cant assure you he can get your car for you with original custom duty certificates,he is a scammer

for more details please go to this topic "cheaper cars available in cotonou" and see evidences or CALL/ CONTACT GBENGA (AKOGUN) ON 08062948193,08085434102,+22967440978(MTN BENIN) OR BB-29CB1653

FISRT PERSON HERE IN A LONG TIME THAT KNOWS WHAT HE IS SPEAKING ABOUT. I AM ARAB FROM LIBANON I AM OWNER OF ONE PARC.
LIKE HE TOLD HERE 99% OF THE OWNERS HERE ARE ARABS. HERE IS NOT 1 PARC OWNED BY AN NIGERIAN. THE AGENTS FROM NIGERIA ARE THE SCAMMERS NOT COTONOU . MY ADVISE IS TO GO TO COTONOU BY YOURSELF BUY YOUR CAR AND DRIVE HOME ITS TO EASY.
ANY CAR DEALER IN COTONOU CAN HELP YOU WITH ALL THE PAPERWORKS. WHY PAY AN AGENT MONEY FOR NOT DOING ANYTHING? AND ALSO GIVE HIM A CHANCE TO SCAM YOU ? THE PROBLEMS YOU ALL GET IN NIGERIA IS BECUSE OF THE AGENT TAKING YOUR MONEY FOR PAY CUSTOM DUTIES , BUT INSTEAD I SMUGGLE THE CAR INSIDE NIGERIA AND PUT THE MONEY IN HIS POCKET. HOW MANY YEARS WILL IT TAKE BEFORE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS

3 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 9:51pm On Apr 16, 2013
aboabdallah:

FISRT PERSON HERE IN A LONG TIME THAT KNOWS WHAT HE IS SPEAKING ABOUT. I AM ARAB FROM LIBANON I AM OWNER OF ONE PARC.
LIKE HE TOLD HERE 99% OF THE OWNERS HERE ARE ARABS. HERE IS NOT 1 PARC OWNED BY AN NIGERIAN. THE AGENTS FROM NIGERIA ARE THE SCAMMERS NOT COTONOU . MY ADVISE IS TO GO TO COTONOU BY YOURSELF BUY YOUR CAR AND DRIVE HOME ITS TO EASY.
ANY CAR DEALER IN COTONOU CAN HELP YOU WITH ALL THE PAPERWORKS. WHY PAY AN AGENT MONEY FOR NOT DOING ANYTHING? AND ALSO GIVE HIM A CHANCE TO SCAM YOU ? THE PROBLEMS YOU ALL GET IN NIGERIA IS BECUSE OF THE AGENT TAKING YOUR MONEY FOR PAY CUSTOM DUTIES , BUT INSTEAD I SMUGGLE THE CAR INSIDE NIGERIA AND PUT THE MONEY IN HIS POCKET. HOW MANY YEARS WILL IT TAKE BEFORE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS
Many of the people who have listed their greiviances here all made one mistake,you never made a background check before commiting money.
On the issue of workshops in the yards,no one has argued the facts that there are some accident cars in cotonou likewise in lagos too,I can mention places were lagos cleared cars are fixed,go to first gate at agindingbi,testing ground etc,you'll see them there.
Many of you fell for the 48hr scam not knowing buying a car from cotonou may take 3-4 days and I'll tell u why,it's possible you get to the border and the bank you're suppoosed to make payments into has problems with network and if the HQ in abuja doesn't get an alert,ur payment slip won't be printed or you may get to the designated parks and there will be so much cars that customs officials will not be able to access them in a day.
Also on the issue of bushpaths,if you go through a credible agent,you can easily cross check everything he does,like I've told my customers,they've to sign a document prepared by a lawyer to indicate they got their car in a ggod condition and with a duty certificate attached.
On the issue of stolen parts,parks/parcs in cotonou occupy 1,200hectares of land and it's a huge burden on the authorities,that's why when u buy cars,they charge park fees and immediately your car goes under escort to the Nigerian border,now if there is anything missing apart from what u actually saw in cotonou,it's now left for you to ask the agent how it got missing.
It's also advisable to go into the parks with a mechanic.
On the issue of duty,there are no other charges been paid at the border apart from duty fees unlike the ports where you're charged fees like shipping and terminal fees etc,that is why you can pay 180K duty for a car in cotonou and pay 250k for that same car at lagos ports.
Also,you don't need to pay duty to authorities in cotonu because the importer has already paid at the port before bringing the car into the parks,so apart from the parks fees etc,u don't pay duty.
No Nigerian sells cars in cotonou,they can only help to help u get cars,what I do is leave my customers to go into direct negotiations with the importer and also check the prices in lagos against that of cotonou,if it's expensive there,I tell them to buy in lagos.
If a Nigerian tells you he has a car there,it's a stolen vechile,go into the parks and buy ur car,only whites and arabs sell cars,don't just pay in cotonou and leave for your homes with supervising payment of fees or even seeing the custom certificate,it's a lie when they tell you they've to help you drive,you drive off yourself from the Nigerian border once you've obtained ur certificate,it's only in Cotonou you can't drive,cos it's not a lawless country,if you drive without permit and they catch,you've to face the music.
Below are examples of custom duty certificates from cotonou.
The same way a dealer can scam you in lagos is the same way you'll be scammed in cotonou,we have issues where people buy these so called lagos cleared cars and they still develop issues but I hope I've been able to convince you.
I rest my case.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Innoson Releases Luxury IVM G80 And G40 SUV (Photos) / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.