Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1208534 members, 1560907 topics. Date: Wednesday, 23 July 2014 at 09:03 AM

Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans - Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics / Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans (5021 Views)

North Africans/berbers Are/were They "Black"? / Our White Bosses Call Us 'black Monkeys' / How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by RSA(m): 12:01pm On Mar 31, 2011
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by MandingoII(m): 5:16pm On Mar 31, 2011
he's a heretic but he does have some miss placed valid points

the BIGGEST ONE is to believe that he can PRAY his way into right living and righteousness.

There will always be FORCES that will BLOCK and these forces is what keeping africa et al. poor.

destroy these forces and the world thrives.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by Bishopking: 11:05pm On Mar 31, 2011
what is England's flag and three lions doing on his Altar?
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by cap28: 9:55pm On Apr 01, 2011
this man is beyond help and knows nothing about african history, he also knows nothing about the way his white master has been the architect of the destruction of the african continent, i pity anyone who takes him seriously. funnily enough most of the people agreeing with him sound like white people.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by ektbear: 1:10am On Apr 02, 2011
Ibadan and Kano were built by the white man? undecided

Who told him that we didn't build any structures in Africa?

Abeg, get the F out, self hating n*gger
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by ADM1(m): 6:02am On Apr 02, 2011
This so-called "pastor" is another one of the fake Christians who proclaim to be of God, but spew hatred and ignorance at the same time. Listening to this, he's obviously silly. He's anti-black, even though he's black, he's anti-Muslim, he's ignorant, and he's a bigot. And yes, cap28, 99% of the people that support his silly Bottom are conservative white people. He's a self-hating, white Bottom kissing, black person. I feel sorry him because of his hate, his self-hate,and his ignorance and stupidity.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by Thirst4Lif: 9:43am On Apr 02, 2011
Regardless of how you feel about the Pastor personally, and most of the comments seem to be personal attacks,

there was a lot of truth in what he had to say. Especially when he spoke of Nigeria being an oil producing country,

yet poverty and disease infested. Why is that? It has to be attributed to greed on the part of the so-called leadership

of Nigeria! Nigeria's leaders couldn't care less about the People of Nigeria! And they've shown it year after year.

And I'm sure will continue to do so. What are you going to do?
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by cap28: 10:47am On Apr 02, 2011
^^^^

thats true but nigeria's problems are not just about corruption- they are also about companies like shell who actively work with our leaders to murder and repress anyone who challenge their exploitation of our resources, its also about how america and britain make nigeria take on billions of dollars in imf loans and force the nigerian govt to spend its oil revenue on paying off imf loan interest rather than spend it on education and health care and building of infrastructure for its citizenry. i dont know whether this pastor is a paid US agent intent on spreading hatred and misinformation or whehter he is just an ignorant fool who actually doesnt know nor understand the whole story.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by RSA(m): 10:20am On Apr 04, 2011
I am deeply hurt by what he said about Mandela,Mandela might not be a christians but the old man is a man of faith.He's a budhist and beliefs in love and peace.
I also cant belief that this 'pastor' justify the apaartheid in South Africa,that regime was evil and unGodly,millions of black people died.Even the rate of Aids in South Africa could have been caused by the regime biological war division.

And if he think South Africa was better off during the white supremist regime then why is the current goverment trying build roads,clinics,hospital,water resources,electricity,schools and other issential services to 90% of the people in the country?Why is this black black goverment starting from scrach?

I bet this Idiott of a pastor has never set a foot in South Africa since apaartheid days or has never set a foot in SA at all.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by hackney(m): 1:00pm On Apr 06, 2011
he didnt justify apatheid at all; he actually said he is against it.

I totally believe what he said about blacks.
How long has it been since life began? yet the black man still cant make anything despite all the ideas everywhere

None of the white made things would exist if whites did not exist.
not even bicycles.
electricity? are you crazy? ?
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by cap28: 2:06pm On Apr 06, 2011
^^^^

hackney stop buying into all this self loathing that is being inplanted into your mind by people like this pastor, if blacks were as useless as this old fool is trying to make out we would not have survived the atrocities of slavery, colonialism and now neo colonialism, we had our own civilisations that were developing at their own pace before they were terminated by slavery.  This man has never had anythign good to say about anyone with black skin because he is mentally ill and suffers from chronic self hatred.  I stopped listening to his garbage the day i heard
him insult Obama's wife michelle and his late mother.  There is nothing to be gained by listening to these types of people as they are mentally damaged and are beyond help.  I honestly beleive that he may be an agent of the US govt - possibly a useful i.dio.t or agent provocateur being used to stir up hatred and conflict amongst blacks the world over,.

If this old fool had researched african history he would know about our ancient kingdoms, advanced social systems and exquisite sculputures and artefacts, many of which are on display in museums all around the world, if we were so barbaric and useless what are our works of art doing on display in their museums?

Last year the british museum put on an exhibition displaying artefacts from  ife which attracted visitors from all over the world:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/kingdom_of_ife.aspx
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by MandingoII(m): 2:26pm On Apr 06, 2011
he didnt justify apatheid at all; he actually said he is against it.

I totally believe what he said about blacks.
How long has it been since life began? yet the black man still cant make anything despite all the ideas everywhere

None of the white made things would exist if whites did not exist.
not even bicycles.
electricity? are you crazy? ?

Stop believeing in foolish premesis. White muth/fuckers stole everything with the Gun/Nukes/and deception.

they stealing your OIL as i type. you might want to ask yourself with oil at over $100 Dollars a Barrell why isnt your nation being developed? It is not all the corrupt nigerians, it is Corrupt white folks calling the shots.

then again, your brain may be too stunted to see it.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by hackney(m): 3:52pm On Apr 06, 2011
MandingoII:

Stop believeing in foolish premesis. White muth/fuckers stole everything with the Gun/Nukes/and deception.

they stealing your OIL as i type. you might want to ask yourself with oil at over $100 Dollars a Barrell why isnt your nation being developed? It is not all the corrupt nigerians, it is Corrupt white folks calling the shots.

then again, your brain may be too stunted to see it.

Dont be silly. the white man is not the reason why you cant have a good government.
they steal your oil because you didntt know what the f.uxc.k it was till they showed up.
Do you even need oil if you cant make anything that runs on it? ?

Next thing you will be blaming whites for blacks being corrupt.

If you can do things for yourself will you need the whites to do it for you?

The reason why they are stealing your oil as you type is because u  f.uxc.king dont know how to do anything by yourself despite
good examples you can copy everywhere.

You think its a coincidence that blacks are at the bottom of the human ladder even when they exist in communities in the U.S , U.K and other 1st world countries?
You think its a coincidence that black leaders want to rule for ever all over the african countries?

Another entity that never lets go of their territory at the cost of colony members dying is monkeys

i will stand up and say that the entire africa having no first world country is a testament that we are different from whites.
There can be no better experiment : Enough time has elapsed still the result is persistent. The continent is DARK

No world war side effects or natural disasters; stable soil, the best weather in the world but still the place is crap.

Zimbabwe has been the food basket of africa for a long time untill recently; now we all know why: just a handfull of whites)

AFRICA SHOULD BE RENAMED ; THE MONKEY CONTINENT
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by MandingoII(m): 4:12pm On Apr 06, 2011
^^^^

dude your thinking is like this

If you are Black, You are filled with self hate/ low self esteem and DEVOID of self respect,  cry

that bottle you see.  Is white folks feeding you THEIR VISION of the world that you GULP up.

you are child in the brain. and DO NOT know the Ways of YOUR WORLD or THE world.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by hackney(m): 4:21pm On Apr 06, 2011
Why is he the one in the position of feeding you the bottle? why isnt it the other way round?

why were you enslaved by the whites and not the other way round?
Go and stand next to a monkey and observe the similarities compared to all other races and then
match it with the state of the various continents. you may notice a trend.
Monkeys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17m8OnHC7dQ
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by saiyaman: 4:28pm On Apr 06, 2011
hackney:

Why is he the one feeding you the bottle? why isnt it the other way round?

why were you enslaved by the whites and not the other way round?
Go and stand next to a monkey and observe the similarities compared to all other races and then
match it with the state of the various continents. you may notice a trend.
Monkeys

You have a problem instead of finding a solution to a problem you complain, you are no better than the ones you insult (as per your definition)

A monkey is even better than you because even monkeys don't harbor the self hate you have for yourself.

There are many Africans leaving the West and returning home to fix the state of their countries, what are you doing? Did you open up a clinic for the sick, a business for the unemployed, or did you help set a voter registration drive for an election?

But you sit here insulting people because you are too pathetic and feeble to make something of yourself and your community!

Please walk and exit stage left, Africa has no use for the whinners, the uncle toms, or the self haters to fix her problems from North to South and East to West.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by cap28: 4:36pm On Apr 06, 2011
listen up monkey hackney - answer this question if your monky brain will allow you  -WHAT ARE OUR SCULPUTURES DOING IN THE BRITISH MUSEUM IF WE ARE INCAPABLE OF ANYTHING USEFUL WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY DISPLAYING OUR WORKS OF ART IN THEIR MUSEUMS - WHY IS SPANISH BANK SANTANDER EVEN BOTHERING TO SPONSOR SUCH AN EXHIBITION

Monkey can you also explain to me how Haiti was capable of defeating NOT ONE NOT TWO BUT THREE IMPERIAL ARMIES - BRITAIN, SPAIN AND FRANCE IN ORDER TO EMANCIPATE ITSELF FROM SLAVERY.

You fu.ckkng self hating, piece of trash, just because you pick up a mirror and all you see is the face of a weak failure doesnt mean we are all like you, get it thru your empty skull that we are at war with these people, when you are at war with a people you employ all kinds of dirty tricks to undermine them, but like the weak ball less piece of sh;it that you are your weak mind has succumbed to the drip drip effect of white supremacy, take your weak ar.se somewhere else because you are a disgrace not only to the bla,ck race but to the human race. fuc,king loser.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by isalegan2: 5:06pm On Apr 06, 2011
cap28:

this man is beyond help and knows nothing about african history, he also knows nothing about the way his white master has been the architect of the destruction of the african continent, i pity anyone who takes him seriously. . .

cap28:

thats true but nigeria's problems are not just about corruption- they are also about companies like shell who actively work . . .

cap28:

hackney stop buying into all this self loathing that is being inplanted into your mind by people like this pastor, if blacks were as useless as this old fool is trying to make out we would not have survived the atrocities of slavery, colonialism and now neo colonialism, we had our own civilisations that were developing at their own pace before they were terminated by slavery. . . 

cap28:

listen up. . .

It's an uphill struggle, brother. sad I see you have the stamina.  More power to you.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by MandingoII(m): 12:18am On Apr 07, 2011
on second thought.

If hackney is black, what he's doing is voicing what he FEELS about himself out loud. In otherr words he is projecting

He hates to be viewed as this. And because of it, HE BLAMES his people for what he perceives as underming him and stunting HIS growth.

This is not uncommon

usually people that suffer from this ailment DONT KNOW his true history.

(again, you can look at White supremacy for deluding you about YOU)
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by pleep(m): 2:46am On Apr 07, 2011
MandingoII:

^^^^

dude your thinking is like this

If you are Black, You are filled with self hate/ low self esteem and DEVOID of self respect,  cry

that bottle you see.  Is white folks feeding you THEIR VISION of the world that you GULP up.

you are child in the brain. and DO NOT know the Ways of YOUR WORLD or THE world.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! this is the funniest post ive seen in a long time. The best part is it makes sense!
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by pleep(m): 3:10am On Apr 07, 2011
hackney:

Why is he the one in the position of feeding you the bottle? why isnt it the other way round?

Geography. i know you are st. upid but try to understand this. Africa is extreamly isolated and had many geographic impediements in the throughout history. ill name a few.

Ancient wheat could not grow south of N. Africa.  This is why the nubians civilization was never as large or powerful as the Eygptians. also why the eygptians were unable to replicate their achievments when they were pushed out of eygpt by arabs. This is also why the Whites stayed in South africa- European crops can grow their easily.

Most African civilizations relied on Sorghum and millet (now used for birdseed)

African Rivers have cateracts and water falls preventing water travel and trade. The Congo river is almost useless for travel because of waterfalls and cateracts. same with the southern Nile.

There was a scarcity of usuable stone for building in many parts of africa. There is alot of stone in Nubia and Ethiopia and eygpt i suggest you look at some of the beutiful things they have built.

Africa has by far the the lowest iron deposits of any continent.

Tropical climate causes monuments/ weapons and historical artifacts to decompose very quickly. its hard to find an african sword made before 1800 because of that. Not to mention the walls of The Benin empire.

There are ABSOLUTLY no domesticatable large animals native to africa- Horse/ cattle/ pigs all came from other areas.

tsete are fatal to large animals and live around the equator in africa. this prevented Horses and cows ( for plows and food) and caused sub-equitorial africa to be much more backwards than west or  east africa.

And many many many more. theres a book about this called "guns germs and steel" by the famous anthropoligist jared diamond.

despite all these factors belive it or not several black civilizations flourished like Mali/ Abyssinia and ghana. Us Africans have nothing to be ashamed of.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by Eltonluigi(m): 10:06am On Apr 07, 2011
Are we blamin' Whites for our under-develop state?
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by pleep(m): 10:36pm On Apr 07, 2011
Eltonluigi:

Are we blamin' Whites for our under-develop state?

No, i dont know were you heard that from. But you can Blame yourself if you want, think you are inferior, think black people are silly who cares anymore.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by hackney(m): 11:43pm On Apr 07, 2011
None of you has made any sense.
Go back to africa and see how people that have come back to help improve the s.h.it hole have
been laughed at and frustrated.

You blockheaded less-evolved monkeys keep living in denial while no african country can effectively choose a leader.

Books have been written on how to do everything yet an entire continent (of monkeys) cant get anything right.

let the monkey leaders carry on looting enough money to fund countries while some i.dio.ts are here displaying
delusions of importance.
Time after time the same level of idiocy occurs at the highest level of govt; even the looters are chased from country to country and they shamelessly hold unto the loot and try to beat the system in the glaring sight of the entire world.

If you are sat down and asked why you are proud ,what will be your answer?
you'd probably raise your voice,fight and then monkey off.

A continent that had people before most other continents should have a head start;no?
Like that pastor said, africa could not build a f.uxcking boat. lmao
Monkeys
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by saiyaman: 12:23am On Apr 08, 2011
hackney:

None of you has made any sense.
Go back to africa and see how people that have come back to help improve the s.h.it hole have
been laughed at and frustrated.

You blockheaded less-evolved monkeys keep living in denial while no african country can effectively choose a leader.

Books have been written on how to do everything yet an entire continent (of monkeys) cant get anything right.

let the monkey leaders carry on looting enough money to fund countries while some i.dio.ts are here displaying
delusions of importance.
Time after time the same level of idiocy occurs at the highest level of govt; even the looters are chased from country to country and they shamelessly hold unto the loot and try to beat the system in the glaring sight of the entire world.

If you are sat down and asked why you are proud ,what will be your answer?
you'd probably raise your voice,fight and then monkey off.

A continent that had people before most other continents should have a head start;no?
Monkeys

Neither have you grin
They've been laughed at, are you hanging out with the right people? I look at Bella Naija and see many Nigerians abroad comming back home and making it big, creating a name for themselves in Medicine to Fashion.
But if you surround yourself with rejects, you shouldn't expect much.

And what does one do about it? They protest. They fight for their right to vote for good leadership (like what was seen even when the election was posponed, people waiting hours to cast their ballot)

You are really behaving like quite the monkey yourself, so far you have raved and ranted and even foamed at the mouth like the common Chimp does when he becomes frustrated at his own failures grin

A cannoe is a type of boat dummy grin
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by pleep(m): 12:57am On Apr 08, 2011
African Man building a fishing sailboat in the same way his ancestors did hundreds of years ago.
http://polishingpeanuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Will-Boase-African-Boat-Builder.jpg

There are also many first hand accounts of malian ships from the 1400's

The ships from mali were " full size" so to speak, with sails and decks. Around the size of columbus's ship the Pinta, which i have had the pleasure to see, which measures i would guess around 50 feet?
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by RSA(m): 2:11pm On Apr 08, 2011
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:45pm On Apr 08, 2011
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:03pm On Apr 08, 2011
hackney:

Monkeys

Really?

1:

http://kennethgarrett.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Nubian-Pharaohs/G0000zfJA49PwJoY/I0000Y9NTS0w.xmE/P0000F0AYdFLNvYI

2 :

3:

http://kennethgarrett.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Nubian-Pharaohs/G0000zfJA49PwJoY/I0000eFrLPwfZhKg/P0000F0AYdFLNvYI

4:

http://www.artsjournal.com/culturegrrl/2011/02/one-armed_tut_hawass_issues_de.html

5: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nubia_%28Mesolithic%29_/_Nile_boat

"A very important question arises about hull construction. Only two options are known to be available: a hull formed from a large log (tree trunk) or built up as with a papyrus reed boat. True planked hull construction cannot be documented earlier than the 1st Dynasty with the discoveries at Tarkhan of planked hull boards that were re-used as coffin and roof timbers [6]  However the architectural features of the Khartoum Mesolithic boat were refined and executed, they received broad acceptance among Egyptian ship builders and were widely utilized in nautical architecture during the next periods of Egyptian history. The limited opportunities provided by the Papyrus reed raft had been transcended.[7]  Mankind's ability to utilize the resource opportunities provided by the broad Upper Nile basin, and the large Nile delta of Upper Egypt had taken a quantum leap forward with this 'new' boat design as depicted on the Khartoum Mesolithic pebble."

6: http://antiquity.ac.uk/ProjGall/usai/index.html

"In particular the image of a steering gear fixed to a vertical pole inserted in the stern upper hull can be found in boat rock engravings from the Abka region in Sudanese Nubia; and from Akkad which is south of the third Cataract on the left bank of the Nile in the Northern Dongola Reach. The blade strongly resembled those of the boat of El Khab. This kind of composite helm was still in use on Egyptian ships built during the New Kingdom. The dome-like cabin on the upper hull is also a well known feature on boat representations dating to the Gerzean and Predynastic periods in Egypt and Nubia."

^^^^^

Educate yourself man. Nubian boat making was quite ancient and influential.

Also,

7:

"These drawings show the carved decoration on two stone vessels found in rich graves at Qustul, in northern Nubia, dating to about 3400-3200 BCE. These vessels, carved of Nubian stone, show kings sitting in boats and wearing the "White Crown". This crown was once associated only with Egyptian kings. Because these vessels came from Nubia, some archaeologists think these kings may not be Egyptian but very early Nubian rulers. Also shown in these carvings are: a palace front, bound prisoners (suggesting that these scenes commemorate a victory), and a lion in a boat (perhaps symbolizing the king)."

http://www.dignubia.org/maps/timeline/bce-3400.htm

8:

In particular, note that:

Boats of Egypt Before the Old Kingdom

Stephen Vinson
Thesis: August 1987
Chair: Bass
Nautical Archaeology Program

The origin and early development of planked boats in Pre- and Early Dynastic Egypt is explored through an examination of representational art, the Predynastic environment, the development of tools and woodworking and direct archaeological evidence for early boats, including boat burials and surviving fragments. The use and range of early boats are examined through the archaeological evidence for trade within and beyond the Nile Valley. It is argued that the development of nautical technology in the Nile valley was independent of external influences such as "Mesopotamian invaders," and that boatwrights of the Early Dynastic period used essentially the same techniques as their Old Kingdom counterparts. It is concluded that the Graeco-Roman practice of building ships with mortise-and-tenon joints was derived from techniques perfected in prehistoric Egypt.

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/Theses/abstracts/vinson.html

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/Theses/pdf-files/Vinson-MA1987.pdf

^^^^

So the earliest evidence of boats in that area (around the Nile) has been found in Nubia, it influenced Egyptian  boat building, and there is reason to believe certain aspects of Egyptian boat building influenced that of the Greeks.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:33pm On Apr 08, 2011
9:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_military_systems_%281800%E2%80%931900%29

"In the Niger Delta, the bigger Itsekiri war canoes mounted multiple cannon and swivels, and carried 40 rowers and 100 warriors, with slaves doing most of the rowing duties. Slaves were also tasked with providing food for the canoe men.[8] Commerce sometimes operated closely with war-making. Itsekiri traders operated their own fleets of fighting vessels, and the British navy was often unable to stop these fast-moving warrior-merchants as they flitted between the streams, lagoons and waterways of the Delta. On several occasions they fended off British warships by blockading narrow creeks and waterways, and in disputes with the colonial regime or European merchants, shut down trade on the Benin river for several months.[9] Pirates also made use of fast canoes to plague commerce and local citizenry alike. War-canoe ports were often fortified with extensive stockades, and multiple trench lines, behind which teams of gunmen and other fighters were marshalled for defense.[10]"

[8] ^ P. C. Lloyd, "The Itsekiri in the Nineteenth Century; An Outline Social History," The Journal of African History, Vol. 4, No. 2 (1963), pp. 207-231
[9] ^ Lloyd, op. cit
[10] ^ Robert Smith, The Canoe in West African History, The Journal of African History, Vol. 11, No. 4 (1970), pp. 515-533.; Lloyd, op. cit

10:

"Iboe war canoe"

R and J. Lander, Journal of an Expedition to Explore the Course and Termination of the Niger, (London 1832). pp. 283-214"

"Ibo war canoe from Nigeria, circa 1830s, demonstrates a blend of indigenous and imported technology. Construction is of a single log. Steering is provided by two oars-men in bow and stern. Muskets stand ready on the fighting platform in the center, and captured enemy flags and trophies fly overhead. Swivel guns and small cannon were sometimes installed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_military_systems_%281800%E2%80%931900%29

" 'Fo'castles' had also been noted by Pacheco on the
(presumably sea-going) canoes of the Ivory Coast,20 and the feature occurs
in the canoes seen in the Niger Delta by the Landers; one of the drawings
in the latter's account of their journey in I830 shows an 'Iboe canoe' with
about twenty-two men engaged in paddling, two standing in the bows
and stern with long poles as steersmen, and a platform amidships on
which three warriors are standing and a number of muskets are stacked.21"

- Robert Smith, The Canoe in West African History, The Journal of African History, Vol. 11, No. 4 (1970), pp. 515-533

(note 'fo'casles' above is an old spelling of forecastles (the upper deck of a ship))

11:

A Duala war canoe, Cameroon, 1884. Scan from Middlemen of the Cameroons Rivers: The Duala and Their Hinterland, c. 1600–c. 1960 by Ralph A. Austen and Jonathan Derrick. Originally from an illustration in Die Gartenlaube: Illustriertes Familienblatt, vol. XXXII, no. 37. Based on an original photograph.
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by PhysicsHD: 10:56pm On Apr 08, 2011
I posted three more things, but the spambot attacked me.

12:

Note that the Nubian style boat became the standard style of Egyptian boat:

"An ancient model of an Egyptian boat (2052-1778 BCE) looks like this one at the North Carolina Museum of Art. "

http://www.telecomtally.com/blog/2005/03/ship_remains_from_the_time_of.html

^^^^

This link also has an interesting discussion of the fabled Land of Punt.

Another link on Egyptian ships: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Ancient_Egyptian_boat_building

More images:

http://www.google.com/images?q=egyptian+boat&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=857
Re: Listen To This Us Black Pastor About Africans by PhysicsHD: 11:04pm On Apr 08, 2011

"Two possible lines of explanation suggest themselves for this distinction
between seafarers and the rest. The first is geographical. On the Gold
Coast, firm beaches, backed by relatively open and dry country, afforded
easy access from the land to the sea, while the small promontories which
jut out south-westwards from Axim nearly to Accra gave shelter from
the prevailing wind and current to the beaches in their eastern lee.14
East of the Volta, moreover, lagoon systems roughly parallel to the coast,
and networks of rivers offered alternative and less hazardous water
communication and fishing. A second explanation may be sought in the
early history and traditional origins of the different peoples. The Yoruba,
for example, who have few references to the sea in their myth and legend,
seem in origin to have been an inland people who settled near the coast
only within the last four or five hundred years; though they made much
use of canoes on their lagoons and rivers, it is unlikely that in precolonial
times they ever ventured through the Atlantic surf on to the open sea.15
The West African canoes, each 'carved' and 'dug out' from the trunk
of a tree, [b]varied considerably in size, from small fishing canoes carrying
a crew of from one upwards, to canoes over 8o ft. in length and with a
complement of one hundred men or even more. The largest canoes were
built for the relatively calm waters of the lagoons and great rivers.
Fernandes, writing about I506, speaks of 'huge canoes carrying I20
warriors' on the Sierra Leone river, while Hawkins saw boats on the
Sherbro which were some 24 ft. long, carved and painted, and could
carry some sixty people in calm water.'6 Pacheco writes of large canoes
in the same area which carried up to fifty men and were used for war
and other purposes. But he was especially impressed by the canoes on
the Rio Real (the Bonny and New Calabar rivers in the eastern delta of
the Niger): 'The bigger canoes here, made from a single trunk, are the
largest in the Ethiopias of Guinea; some of them are large enough to
hold eighty men '.7 According to Dapper, these canoes of the Rio Real
had their own cooking hearths, and special arrangements for the storage
of the crew's sleeping mats."' Barbot adds that they were much larger
than the canoes on the Gold Coast, 'some being 70 ft. in length, and
7 or 8 ft. broad; very sharp pointed at each end, fitted with benches
athwart for the conveniency of the rowers, who sit as near the sides of
the canoes as is possible'. Some had 'a sort of quarter-deck, made of
strong reeds'.19 'Fo'castles' had also been noted by Pacheco on the
(presumably sea-going) canoes of the Ivory Coast,20 and the feature occurs
in the canoes seen in the Niger Delta by the Landers; one of the drawings
in the latter's account of their journey in I830 shows an 'Iboe canoe' with
about twenty-two men engaged in paddling, two standing in the bows
and stern with long poles as steersmen, and a platform amidships on
which three warriors are standing and a number of muskets are stacked.21
The war canoes with which Kosoko, the exiled Oba of Lagos, attacked
across the lagoon towards his former capital in I853, were apparently
of two types, some being 8o ft. in length and carrying 'upwards of a
hundred men', while others carried thirty to forty men each.22 [/b]On the
Upper Niger, where there were few large trees, tree trunks were occasionally
joined by cords end-to-end (rather than as a catamaran).23

The usual method of propulsion for the canoes was by paddles and, in
shallow lagoon and river-water, by punting. Barbot refers to the use of
sails by the natives of Axim and Winneba, and implies their use also off
the Senegal coast.24 The sails on these sea-going canoes were presumably
of cloth, perhaps copied from the Portuguese, and their rig probably
afforded a limited capacity for sailing into the wind. The canoes seen by
members of the I84I Niger expedition at Fernando Po, however, were
fitted with sails of grass fibre attached to masts of light cane.25 The Yoruba
on their lagoons, according to G. J. A. Ojo, used 'woven fresh palm
branches held upright and turned as the occasion demanded', but John
Whitford noted that the trade canoes plying between Badagry and Lagos
in i865 were fitted with square sails 'of strong cotton cloth, woven in the
interior, blue, white or striped '.26 On the Upper Niger, sails were apparently
unknown and the wind was by no means a friend to sailors.
Nevertheless, transport could be quite rapid, though Es-Sadi's claim to
have navigated 300 miles in 5 days on the Niger (presumably with the
current) is perhaps exaggerated.27"

(0) (1) (2) (Reply)

Let Yorubas And Igbos Unite To Form Southern Nigeria! / Checks And Balances In Nigeria / 67% Of Igbos Are Poor Compared To 59.1% Of Yorubas - Johnnie Carson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.