Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65808 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 11:17pm On Feb 13, 2013
bigfrancis21: ANOTHER INTERESTING DISCOVERY.
Another Jamaican Igbo.

Oku Onuora
(Oku Nagba Ozala Onuora)
Born Orlando Wong
March 1952
Kingston, Jamaica
Occupation Writer
Nationality Jamaican
Genres Poetry, drama
Oku Nagba Ozala Onuora (born [size=28pt]Orlando Wong[/size],
March 1952), known as the "father of Jamaican
dub poetry" is a Jamaican dub poet and performer.
Biography
Orlando Wong was born in Kingston, Jamaica, in
1952.[1] He grew up in the slums of Eastern
Kingston's Franklin Town and received an informal
education from a Rasta named Negus.[1] His
rebellious nature initially led him to engage in
demonstrations against police violence and
painting slogans on walls.[2] When a project to
provide a ghetto school and community centre to
benefit the area's youths hit financial difficulties,
Wong began engaging in guerrilla activities, based
in the hills around Kingston, these including
armed robberies.[1]
Onuora married Adugo (née Phyllis Ranglin) in
1978, in preparation for which he had a name
change, the name being chosen by his bride-to-be
(who did not want to be identified as Mrs. Wong)
[size=28pt]with the help of an Afrikan Professor Umona. Their
names were chosen from the Igbo language from
the southeastern region of Nigeria.[/size] "Oku" means
Fire / Light which burns oppression, while
"Onuora" means voice of the people. His full name,
Oku Nagba Ozala Onuora, translates as everlasting
fire or light which burns oppression.[6] Together
with Adugo, Onuora founded the "Prugresiv Aartis
Muvmant".[1]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oku_Onuora

LMAO.

i'm going to change my name to Hawa Muhammed and then hope someone claims I am Sudanese.
Ode. grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:20pm On Feb 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

LMAO.

i'm going to change my name to Hawa Muhammed and then hope someone claims I am Sudanese.
Ode. grin

exactly!

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 11:27pm On Feb 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Blair's male ancestor comes from the Igbo. His paternal DNA testing was traced to Igboland. Maternal DNA testing traced to central africa (cameroon maybe??).
Now, tell me which is more important, paternal or maternal ancestry?? tongue tongue tongue tongue

you still don't understand genetics. but you claimed to have studied it though? grin
this is too sad.

what the results means is that there are people living in present day cameroon and eastern nigeria who share ancestry with him. it doesn't mean he is ONLY Igbo/Cameroonian lmao. AFRICAN ANCESTRY (the organization) said themselves that there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to trace the ancestors of blacks in the west in total. We are the creation of hundreds of Africans from all over the western and south eastern african shores. the fact that you continue to post excerpt which slay your own "points" is too sad to laugh at.

but i do anyway out of amazement! grin

and you talk about maternal vs paternal, we on the west for the most part do not share african ideologies when it comes to this topic. We believe (just as nature does) that a person is 50/50 of both of their parents. We inherit from out mothers and fathers evenly. Therefore blair is just as what ever his mother is, as his father...naturally mixed. tongue

you are seriously deluded if you think a people who have been outside of africa as early as the 1500s is collectively only one thing and can only be traced directly back to one tribe. you my friend lack common sense. Must be...either that or you are trolling.

I hope the last one is the case.

3 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 11:29pm On Feb 13, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

exactly!

grin grin

it's ridiculous pagan!
i don't know what else to say!!

he'd never get it!

that man was born with the last name WONG FFS! grin
He's clearly of blasian ancestry but somehow he's igbo! grin

na real wa!!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:33pm On Feb 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

grin grin

it's ridiculous pagan!
i don't know what else to say!!

he'd never get it!

that man was born with the last name WONG FFS! grin
He's clearly of blasian ancestry but somehow he's igbo! grin

na real wa!!

wahala i don tyr o wi all this wannabes. i respect you in this matter for supporting the truth. The Gods bless.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 10:44am On Feb 14, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

you still don't understand genetics. but you claimed to have studied it though? grin
this is too sad.

what the results means is that there are people living in present day cameroon and eastern nigeria who share ancestry with him. it doesn't mean he is ONLY Igbo/Cameroonian lmao. AFRICAN ANCESTRY (the organization) said themselves that there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to trace the ancestors of blacks in the west in total. We are the creation of hundreds of Africans from all over the western and south eastern african shores. the fact that you continue to post excerpt which slay your own "points" is too sad to laugh at.

but i do anyway out of amazement! grin

and you talk about maternal vs paternal, we on the west for the most part do not share african ideologies when it comes to this topic. We believe (just as nature does) that a person is 50/50 of both of their parents. We inherit from out mothers and fathers evenly. Therefore blair is just as what ever his mother is, as his father...naturally mixed. tongue

you are seriously deluded if you think a people who have been outside of africa as early as the 1500s is collectively only one thing and can only be traced directly back to one tribe. you my friend lack common sense. Must be...either that or you are trolling.

I hope the last one is the case.

grin grin. Aha! The r£tarded kails is back again! grin grin
Please show me where I said in any of my posts that the AAs are only Igbo? I guess you'll never come up with that! grin.
Go back and read the topic again, kails dummy, tongue what does it say? 'African Americans and their Igbo roots'. This thread discusses the Igbo ancestry of the AAs. in other words only those AAs with partial/full Igbo ancestries are posted and discussed here. Is that hard to comprehend, dummy? tongue grin
Definitely, the AAs are a mix. I don't need a dummy to tell me that. Other threads could be started on the 'Akan ancestry of the AAs' or 'Kongo Ancestry of the AAs'. Your deluded point has always been the 'AAs-all-mixed' ish, yea but then you claimed its impossible for AAs to trace back to some of their ancestries until I brought DNA testing evidence forward that proved you dead wrong. Dummy, get this into your head, The Y chromosome of a person is only traced to one male ancestor/person who is from one tribe and the mtDNA to only one female ancestor who is from one tribe'. These two ancestries are the most important. However, other ancestries could exist and they all play a role in the mixing theory. In Africa today where you have prevalent inter-tribal marriages, for example, an akan man with an akan father (Akan Y DNA) and Ewe mother. The mother is Ewe by affiliation to her paternal side while her mother may come from another tribe, say Fon. Now the man's mtDNA, being passed down from the mothers only, goes back thus, mother>grandmother>great-grandmother>great great grandmother etc down to the first female ancestor etc that may come from Fon tribe. Now you see how the maternal tracing goes? This same man may have a paternal grandmother who is Yoruba. But this yoruba ancestry doesn't play a role in the Y DNA heritage(father-to-son inheritance) or the mtDNA heritage of the man since the man must have gotten his mtDNA from his Ewe/Fon mother and not from his father, who has the Yoruba mtDNA he got from his Yoruba mother but however being a man, will not pass it down. The genes of other ancestries, apart from the Y and mtDNA, only shows up in the remaining 44 autosomal chromosomes, the remaining two being the XX/XY chromosomes for maleness/femaleness. These 44 chromosomes determines the physical characteristics of an individual and it is what accounts for a man with Igbo/Ibibio sides who looks instead like his Ijaw maternal grandmother. I've mentioned this before. Nature has made it fairly easy for one to trace his ancestry, the two important of these being the paternal and maternal. If the AAs had decided to stick to their tribal affiliations over the years despite the mixing, just as it is in Africa, the ancestral confusion going on with the AAs wouldn't have been in place and there wouldn't have been any need to waste money on DNA testing. Stop acting like the AA/Caribbean mixing is too unique to those folks. The same mixing has been occurring in africa, africa that has thousands of more tribes than the selected few that were sent to the caribbean/Americas, yet we still know and maintain our ethnicities. We aren't confused! grin grin
Now having made my point clear, Blair is indubitably paternally and maternally Igbo/Cameroonian. He may have other possible ancestries which may be acknowledged but not deemed so much important. cool cool

MsDarkSkin:

AFRICAN ANCESTRY (the organization) said themselves that there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to trace the ancestors of blacks in the west in total.
Let me break that bolded statement of yours down as I can see its the only piece of evidence you're hanging on to to support your deluded belief. grin grin. The English is too much for you. That ain't jamaican patois. tongue Aww! I understand. Poor thing! tongue grin

Read my lips: genetically speaking, it isn't possible to trace all other possible ancestries (maybe 10 of 'em) in just the 44 autosomal chromosomes of an individual. There is the natural occurrence of overshadowing of some recessive tribal genes by other dominant tribal genes making it difficult to successfully trace some ancestries. However, despite this occassional occurrence the paternal and maternal ancestries are untampered with and easily traceable. Aha! grin grin
I see your dumb post got 2 likes. Let me guess who liked them, mr bantu and mr blank brains. Other two losers like ms. dummy. Who else? grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:06am On Feb 14, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

LMAO.

Ode. grin

For your information dumdum, what the site failed to recognize is that he may as well have partial Igbo ancestry. grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:17am On Feb 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

wahala i don tyr o wi all this wannabes. i respect you in this matter for supporting the truth. The Gods bless.

PAGAN 9JA:

I dont have any points left! angry
grin grin grin
You've definitely gone pathetically blank on this subject. You can't stand up to your fellow man neither can you bring up an intelligent point yet you hide behind a dumb female akata liking her every dumb post. grin grin 'Man' indeed.
PAGAN 9JA:

brother Cameroon, i dont school akatas. they are a lost case. i only guide tribals.

Aha! The same akata supporter! grin grin grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:49pm On Feb 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

grin grin grin
You've definitely gone pathetically blank on this subject. You can't stand up to your fellow man neither can you bring up an intelligent point yet you hide behind a dumb female akata liking her every dumb post. grin grin 'Man' indeed.

Aha! The same akata supporter! grin grin grin grin

francis, i HAVE TOLD YOU BEFORE NOT TO MISQUOTE ME! I NEVER SAID I DONT HAVE ANY POINTS LEFT! angry angry angry angry

infact it is YOU who said this:

bigfrancis21:
I lie on public forums because my face resembles a baboons backside

and it seems you have not yet gotten to know me. I dislike somethins about akatas, but at the end of the day, i shall always STAND FOR THE TRUTH! even if the truth is coming from an akata, an oyinbo or a tribal. angry

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by GoldenLady1: 2:45pm On Feb 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:
If the AAs had decided to stick to their tribal affiliations over the years despite the mixing, just as it is in Africa, the ancestral confusion going on with the AAs wouldn't have been in place and there wouldn't have been any need to waste money on DNA testing.

You really think AA ancestors had a choice?

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:17pm On Feb 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

francis, i HAVE TOLD YOU BEFORE NOT TO MISQUOTE ME! I NEVER SAID I DONT HAVE ANY POINTS LEFT! angry angry angry angry

infact it is YOU who said this:

and it seems you have not yet gotten to know me. I dislike somethins about akatas, but at the end of the day, i shall always STAND FOR THE TRUTH! even if the truth is coming from an akata, an oyinbo or a tribal. angry
@bolded: grin grin. Bring the truth forward then. So far you've not brought any forward, only to like every dumb post of ms. dummy that sounds pleasing to your ears. grin grin
As for the points issue, you sure ain't got nothing left! grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:26pm On Feb 14, 2013
Golden Lady:

You really think AA ancestors had a choice?

If they wanted to they would have. But I guess circumstance and providence weren't on their side. Over time they realized they had to drop tribal affiliations and unite and see themselves as one large black family in order to successfully overcome the white opposition and oppression. Had they been divided, any unitary force whatsoever against the white masters would have been considerably weakened since each division will be fighting for its own interest and liberation.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 7:30pm On Feb 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

*takes a bow* cool
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

If they wanted to they would have. But I guess circumstance and providence weren't on their side. Over time they realized they had to drop tribal affiliations and unite and see themselves as one large black family in order to successfully overcome the white opposition and oppression. Had they been divided, any unitary force whatsoever against the white masters would have been considerably weakened since each division will be fighting for its own interest and liberation.

yea.

That is very true and Africa needs to wake up and follow suit.

this is where myself and pagan 9ja disagree (though i respect his opinion - i would even more if he'd get out of europe grin grin) but it's fact at the end of the day. see, blacks in the west who do make the trips to africa and yearn for repatriation (physically and/or mentally) see that africa right is STILL being robbed left and right.

there are people who only want to take from africa since they know 'she' happens to be the richest continent on the planet...and yet some africans are too blinded by tribal prejudices and nationalism that they do not see the danger.

Not only are the Arabs and Europeans robbing Africa, but now the Asians have Africa in their sights. They are the future of the world at the present moment, with the fastest growing economies and if Africans don't wake up, Asia will continue to rise but at the African's expense.

You can call me a "blind pan-africanist" or whatever floats your boat but in time, when it's too late you'll all see what we've been saying for the longest time.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 7:42pm On Feb 14, 2013
lmao@ the igbo-centric ode oshi TRYING to convince me.
I don tire for your matter sir.

this is extremely embarrassing....on your part.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 7:48pm On Feb 14, 2013
MsDarkSkin: lmao@ the igbo-centric ode oshi TRYING to convince me.
I don tire for your matter sir.

this is extremely embarrassing....on your part.

grin grin. I wasn't trying to convince you, dumdum. I was only exposing the truth RAW to you without mercy. grin grin.
Geez! I see the akata is speaking pidgin. Who taught her that?? tongue tongue
PAGAN 9JA:

You dont have any points left! angry
Remember that quote from your supposed supporter? That is exactly what describes you best now. grin grin tongue.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 8:03pm On Feb 14, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

yea.

this is where myself and pagan 9ja disagree (though i respect his opinion - i would even more if he'd get out of europe grin grin) but it's fact at the end of the day. see, blacks in the west who do make the trips to africa and yearn for repatriation (physically and/or mentally) see that africa right is STILL being robbed left and right.

there are people who only want to take from africa since they know 'she' happens to be the richest continent on the planet...and yet some africans are too blinded by tribal prejudices and nationalism that they do not see the danger.

Not only are the Arabs and Europeans robbing Africa, but now the Asians have Africa in their sights. They are the future of the world at the present moment, with the fastest growing economies and if Africans don't wake up, Asia will continue to rise but at the African's expense.

You can call me a "blind pan-africanist" or whatever floats your boat but in time, when it's too late you'll all see what we've been saying for the longest time.

@First bolded: Eewo! Did ms. dummy just agree with me? shocked shocked
@Pagan 9ja...your madam has switched sides o.grin She don't wanna be in the loser's club no more. grin grin
@Second bolded: Kails dummy, please take it easy on your blank-headed supporter nau!...you just over-exposed his black a*s. shocked shocked
Remember he's the only one that will rush to like all your dumb posts despite all the bollocks you type in them. grin grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:06pm On Feb 14, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

yea.

on our points of disagreement:

1) AFRICA WAS , IS AND WILL FOREVER BE TRIBAL. OUR CULTURE, RELIGIONS, LIFESTYLE, IDENTITY AND OUR LIVES DEPEND ON OUR TRIBES.

2) ASIANS ARE AS TRIBALISTIC AND ETHNIC ORIENTED AS AFRICANS. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BEING, ASIANS DO NOT TAKE SH!T FROM FOREIGNERS AND FOLLOW THEIR OWN IDEALS AND BELIEFS (RELIGIONS). AFRICANS DO NOT AND THIS IS SCREWING UP THE AFRICA PICTURE.

3) ^THIS IS WHERE I COME IN.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 9:28pm On Feb 14, 2013
^^^
I forsee a great war brewing between madam dummy and her empty-brain supporter. grin grin grin

*Takes the back stage, sits down quietly and watches on with interest while sipping on some Chamdor wine* grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:35pm On Feb 14, 2013
bigfrancis21: ^^^
I forsee a great war brewing between madam dummy and her empty-brain supporter. grin grin grin

*Takes the back stage, sits down quietly and watches on with interest while sipping on some Chamdor wine* grin grin

bigfrancis21:
I lie on public forums because my face resembles a baboons backside

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 10:17pm On Feb 14, 2013
Pagan 9ja:
bigfrancis21:
I lie on public forums because my face resembles
a baboons backside

grin grin A quick look at my profile will reveal that statement was conjured up. grin grin

This is what you said in another thread. I decided to repost it here for everyone to see. grin
PAGAN 9JA:

MsDarkSkin, you're some dumb a*s shitty akata. I thought you were on my side. angry Your posts were always shitty and logically disastrous yet I always rushed to like them. angry
Wait till your madam returns, she'll finish you. tongue tongue grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 10:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

on our points of disagreement:

1) AFRICA WAS , IS AND WILL FOREVER BE TRIBAL. OUR CULTURE, RELIGIONS, LIFESTYLE, IDENTITY AND OUR LIVES DEPEND ON OUR TRIBES.

2) ASIANS ARE AS TRIBALISTIC AND ETHNIC ORIENTED AS AFRICANS. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BEING, ASIANS DO NOT TAKE SH!T FROM FOREIGNERS AND FOLLOW THEIR OWN IDEALS AND BELIEFS (RELIGIONS). AFRICANS DO NOT AND THIS IS SCREWING UP THE AFRICA PICTURE.

3) ^THIS IS WHERE I COME IN.

LOL Good luck with trying to convince them to give a crap about African traditions as they continue rob you blind. grin grin

in the meantime sign up for chinese lessons...you'll need it! grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 10:38pm On Feb 15, 2013
lol @ bigfrancis trying to instigate!! grin

what you fail miserably to realize is that I don't take PAGAN_9JA seriously...AT ALL!
his attempt at hurling insults are as funny as dave chappelle's comedy sketches. grin

the guy is harmless.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:55pm On Feb 15, 2013
MsDarkSkin: lol @ bigfrancis trying to instigate!! grin

what you fail miserably to realize is that I don't take PAGAN_9JA seriously...AT ALL!
his attempt at hurling insults are as funny as dave chappelle's comedy sketches. grin

the guy is harmless.

@First bolded: Gbam!! shocked shocked grin grin
Woman wrapper, you don hear am? grin grin
@Second bolded: I noticed. He sounds funny and clownish grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:55am On Feb 16, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

LOL Good luck with trying to convince them to give a crap about African traditions as they continue rob you blind. grin grin

in the meantime sign up for chinese lessons...you'll need it! grin

you are mistaken. they are not robbing us. oyinbos rob us.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 7:12pm On Feb 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

you are mistaken. they are not robbing us. oyinbos rob us.
You're digressing from the thread's subject! Infact,
PAGAN 9JA:

I dont have any points left! angry
grin grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 9:48pm On Feb 17, 2013
By the way people, 1 study i read online, (I'll try and find it agian, it's been a while) broke down the dna of 365 Black-Americans into african and european parts.. according to genetic distance, the difference between igbo dna and the african parts of the Balck-american's dna was 0.074%, and that was the shortest distance by far of any african group to the Black-Americans. grin

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 10:49pm On Feb 17, 2013
Blyss: By the way people, 1 study i read online, (I'll try and find it agian, it's been a while) broke down the dna of 365 Black-Americans into african and european parts.. according to genetic distance, the difference between igbo dna and the african parts of the Balck-american's dna was 0.074%, and that was the shortest distance by far of any african group to the Black-Americans. grin
Very interesting to hear. I'd love to have the link myself. Please do post it here when you find it. Daalu!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 11:11pm On Feb 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Very interesting to hear. I'd love to have the link myself. Please do post it here when you find it. Daalu!

he wont find it.
he still owes me a video..it's been damn near a month now.

lmao. #DoesNOTExist
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by pirate1: 11:12pm On Feb 17, 2013
msdarksin how are you baby?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:51am On Feb 18, 2013
pirate1: msdarksin how are you baby?

fine thank you. what's with the new username
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by pirate1: 2:54am On Feb 18, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

fine thank you. what's with the new username

this username is as somali as it can get.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Oluwo Of Iwo And Chanel Chin Throw Jabs At Each Other / Kayanmata: What I Observed At Abuja International Tradefair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.