Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,495 members, 7,770,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:49 AM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65529 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:17am On Jan 20, 2013
Lol bigfrancis grin ,Cameroonian in general just don't care about BA grin but trying to say there were no ports recorded is quite shocked shocked. Well now you know you were wrong
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:
And who ever said igbo slaves were sent to costa rica? Did I ever mention that? Moreover, i'm yet to see where it was quoted that costa rica received igbo slaves.
Also, how sure are we that this your claim is true? Maybe its just a false claim made up to back up your bias.
an entire village in costa rica ,don't ask me how I know.I never said you mention that, m not the kind of person to make fake claim, I know for sure that Honduran and Costa Rican have been lied to b From Naija/Igbos origin to find out after they are from Cameroon ethnicity.
You can always make your own research.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 12:29am On Jan 20, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: As you can see in this video several ports existed in actual Cameroon, wink. You guys and m actually talking about Nigerians in general should stop thinking Africa turn around you others kingdom and empire existed.
Hahaha! That hasnt proven anything. There may be cameroonian ports, yes, but were they also major slave ports? If yes, why weren't they recorded as part of the slave ports for the bight of biafra region? Slave accounts are precise on the actual tribes that were shipped from this region, not all. The ijaw also live along the niger delta but they sold very little of their slaves, if at all they did. Instead they acted as merchants in selling away the ibo slaves, just as the efik people of calabar did. That the ijaw are part of bight of biafra doesn't also mean they were sold off too. Cameroonian slaves may have been recorded under another region, but for the biafra region, its only a speculation. Back up your opinion with evidence showing bight of biafra slave sales showing the huge presence of cameroonian slaves. Give your opinion enough back up, not just hearsays.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 12:33am On Jan 20, 2013
[CAMEROONPRIDE]
My dear, I'm on the Costa-rica page on encarta now and it states, I quote, 'majority of the people of costa rica are of europen, largely spanish, ancestry. Whites and mixed spanish/native american ancestry (mestizos) account for 96%! of the population; the small black community is largely of jamaican origin...'
Now, tell me, how does this make CR a major receiving end of slaves? You're the first person to insinuate this. The 4% black population are jamaican immigrants and the country is predominantly white! What the heck are talking about?!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Hahaha! That hasnt proven anything. There may be cameroonian ports, yes, but were they also major slave ports? If yes, why weren't they recorded as part of the slave ports for the bight of biafra region? Slave accounts are precise on the actual tribes that were shipped from this region, not all. The ijaw also live along the niger delta but they sold very little of their slaves, if at all they did. Instead they acted as merchants in selling away the ibo slaves, just as the efik people of calabar did. That the ijaw are part of bight of biafra doesn't also mean they were sold off too. Cameroonian slaves may have been recorded under another region, but for the biafra region, its only a speculation. Back up your opinion with evidence showing bight of biafra slave sales showing the huge presence of cameroonian slaves. Give your opinion enough back up, not just hearsays.
m actually on my phone, I will come with more informations later, anyway I doubt you watched the video.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:40am On Jan 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Good for cameroon. At least they have people to lay claims to. However, the main topic is on the AAs and Jamaicans.
this story was just to show how Igbo are known to claim people in the world even when the same people say no. This is no only about BA and carribean even in modern Nigeria you guys have such issues claiming people are from you ,it must be an Igbo mindset.
On a serious note Jamaican, BA are from Cameroon too, there is nothing honorific in this at least I don't find anything. People know my views about this, but like I said I don't like when people twist history to fit their political/ hidden agenda
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:43am On Jan 20, 2013
Oh I don't deny their Igbo origin tho Igbo is another modern creation. Anyway claiming that majority of them(+70%) is beyond false.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:48am On Jan 20, 2013
bigfrancis21: [CAMEROONPRIDE]
My dear, I'm on the Costa-rica page on encarta now and it states, I quote, 'majority of the people of costa rica are of europen, largely spanish, ancestry. Whites and mixed spanish/native american ancestry (mestizos) account for 96%! of the population; the small black community is largely of jamaican origin...'
Now, tell me, how does this make CR a major receiving end of slaves? You're the first person to insinuate this. The 4% black population are jamaican immigrants and the country is predominantly white! What the heck are talking about?!
are you kidding me? You probably don't know what is Costa rica and their population composition, anyway it was just an example of the Igbo claim the thread is not about Costa Rica.
On a more serious note Encarta is not really q valuable source if you open the one about Dominica republica you will b surprised.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 12:48am On Jan 20, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: this story was just to show how Igbo are known to claim people in the world even when the same people say no. This is no only about BA and carribean even in modern Nigeria you guys have such issues claiming people are from you ,it must be an Igbo mindset.
On a serious note Jamaican, BA are from Cameroon too, there is nothing honorific in this at least I don't find anything. People know my views about this, but like I said I don't like when people twist history to fit their political/ hidden agenda
Good for cameroon! However, cameroon is rarely mentioned in history as a major slave soure. Mainly Nigeria and Ghana (west africa). Moreover most dna testing results of the caribbean diaspora points to Nigeria and Ghana mostly. The truth cant be hidden. And the dna test don't lie either.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 1:01am On Jan 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Good for cameroon! However, cameroon is rarely mentioned in history as a major slave soure. Mainly Nigeria and Ghana (west africa). Moreover most dna testing results of the caribbean diaspora points to Nigeria and Ghana mostly. The truth cant be hidden. And the dna test don't lie either.
could u please explain what you mean by:Major source(how many "slaves""need to b taken from a place for you to consider the place as a major source.
If you read your history from a west African point of view of course you will come across Ghana and Nigeria, Cameroon is classified as a Central African country tho we are a west-central African country. And I think we are just a west African country.
Again with the most how many exactly? Did you make a count?
You should look at other people work not only English speaker/Anglophone that's why I think your views are biased and you are quite limited ,I bet you can't list any french or German authors, I don't blame you tho before making a claim you must know others views and analysis. Actual Cameroon has been controlled by the Portuguese,Germans,English,French some parts to b exact so if someone want to know the history of some Cameroonian ethnicity he shouldn't neglect the writings of each country
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 1:05am On Jan 20, 2013
I have every reason to believe you only made up this false 'costa rica-igbo claim' ish just to fire on your false bias. I've asked you for evidence, you couldn't bring up any. I delved into history myself and discovered your claim is false. I deal in facts, not hearsays. Anything I post, I back up with evidence.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 1:11am On Jan 20, 2013
bigfrancis21: I have every reason to believe you only made up this false 'costa rica-igbo claim' ish just to fire on your false bias. I've asked you for evidence, you couldn't bring up any. I delved into history myself and discovered your claim is false. I deal in facts, not hearsays. Anything I post, I back up with evidence.
the way you want, but why only costa rica?.anyway you are free to make your own research, any sane debaters know Encarta and Wikipedia are not worthy. If Costa Rica storyvreally pain you I'm sorry. Okay?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 1:16am On Jan 20, 2013
The next contender come up please! A sensible one!!!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 1:18am On Jan 20, 2013
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 1:51am On Jan 20, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: could u please explain what you mean by:Major source(how many "slaves""need to b taken from a place for you to consider the place as a major source.
If you read your history from a west African point of view of course you will come across Ghana and Nigeria, Cameroon is classified as a Central African country tho we are a west-central African country. And I think we are just a west African country.
Again with the most how many exactly? Did you make a count?
You should look at other people work not only English speaker/Anglophone that's why I think your views are biased and you are quite limited ,I bet you can't list any french or German authors, I don't blame you tho before making a claim you must know others views and analysis. Actual Cameroon has been controlled by the Portuguese,Germans,English,French some parts to b exact so if someone want to know the history of some Cameroonian ethnicity he shouldn't neglect the writings of each country

Most of the few slaves taken from the area in which is today known as Cameroon, were Igbo. Remember that the lands in which occupy the south-western part of your nation now, were once Igbo lands prior to the Brits and Germans splitting it almost in two with the west part going to the Brits under their Nigerian Colony and the eastern part going to the Germans as part of their Cameroonian colony.

This combined area makes up the entire Bight of Bonny area, were over nearly 90% of the slaves taken from this area were Igbo, and in regard to Cameroon its self; well over 90% of the slaves taken from the lands in which now comprise that nation, came from the western lands in which were at the time part of the Igbo lands prior to them being snatch away and divided up by the Germans and British. cheesy
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:14am On Jan 20, 2013
Joke of the century ,Igbo what? Entertain me oyooo where is Physichd when you need him.fam grin grin grin stop its pathetic, you didn't learn your lessons I must say. Igboland my foot grin[color=#006600][/color]
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by odumchi: 3:36am On Jan 20, 2013
Blyss:

Most of the few slaves taken from the area in which is today known as Cameroon, were Igbo. Remember that the lands in which occupy the south-western part of your nation now, were once Igbo lands prior to the Brits and Germans splitting it almost in two with the west part going to the Brits under their Nigerian Colony and the eastern part going to the Germans as part of their Cameroonian colony.

This combined area makes up the entire Bight of Bonny area, were over nearly 90% of the slaves taken from this area were Igbo, and in regard to Cameroon its self; well over 90% of the slaves taken from the lands in which now comprise that nation, came from the western lands in which were at the time part of the Igbo lands prior to them being snatch away and divided up by the Germans and British. cheesy

This isn't true. The Igbo country exists entirely within the confines of Nigeria. In fact, Igboland doesn't even border Cameroon not to talk of being split up by the partition.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 7:19am On Jan 20, 2013
odumchi:

This isn't true. The Igbo country exists entirely within the confines of Nigeria. In fact, Igboland doesn't even border Cameroon not to talk of being split up by the partition.

and there you have it.
blyss sit down.

@francis,

get it through your head, not one group in the west is all or mostly igbo.
we are all just as senegambian, kongolese, cameroonian, ghanaian, etc. as we are igbo/yoruba. (i am naming nationalities because i don't have the time to name all of the tribes found within their borders that were involved in the slave trade.)

stop trying to claim us as only one thing or mostly one thing. our bloodlines are too mixed for that. it's very disrespectful of you to disregard the other groups of africans who also made us who we are - HYBRIDS/Mixed. igbos represent a portion of nigeria..not all. you don't even represent all of the eastern nigerian region sir. keep your tribalism and rivalry on nairaland. don't bring that bull to us when it comes to our history.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 20, 2013
odumchi:

Finally, a voice of reason.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 8:39am On Jan 20, 2013
*Kails*:

and there you have it.
blyss sit down.

@francis,

get it through your head, not one group in the west is all or mostly igbo.
we are all just as senegambian, kongolese, cameroonian, ghanaian, etc. as we are igbo/yoruba. (i am naming nationalities because i don't have the time to name all of the tribes found within their borders that were involved in the slave trade.)

stop trying to claim us as only one thing or mostly one thing. our bloodlines are too mixed for that. it's very disrespectful of you to disregard the other groups of africans who also made us who we are - HYBRIDS/Mixed. igbos represent a portion of nigeria..not all. you don't even represent all of the eastern nigerian region sir. keep your tribalism and rivalry on nairaland. don't bring that bull to us when it comes to our history.
Evidence says so. I'm not claiming you people at all. Once more, i'm only re-iterating history!!
We may not make up the entire east but we sure are numerous in population, over 35 million. Anambra and imo states are the two most homogeneously (single tribe) dense states in Nigeria, after Lagos which is heterogeneous with all Nigerian tribes. Well, you are entitled to your own beliefs, anyway, which differs from mainstream history to an extent. And one last thing, go take the dna test and tell us all the nationalities with their percentages present in your lineages, lets see how this supports your claim.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 9:10am On Jan 20, 2013
I knew about the Maroons, but I didn't count them in as Tainos, although they retained their culture. There are islands like Dominica where the native population (Kalinago) are still very much present (even some with African and European ancestry), and compared to Jamaica I would say indigenous Jamaicans are pretty much all gone.

[img]http://76.12.225.32/site1/images/pic_caribs.jpg[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BXBkd4IClE
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 20, 2013
odumchi:

thank you.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 9:36am On Jan 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Evidence says so. I'm not claiming you people at all. Once more, i'm only re-iterating history!!
We may not make up the entire east but we sure are numerous in population, over 35 million. Anambra and imo states are the two most homogeneously (single tribe) dense states in Nigeria, after Lagos which is heterogeneous with all Nigerian tribes. Well, you are entitled to your own beliefs, anyway, which differs from mainstream history to an extent. And one last thing, go take the dna test and tell us all the nationalities with their percentages present in your lineages, lets see how this supports your claim.

There's no group that is mostly Igbo, and certainly not Jamaicans. They may have many people who are of Igbo descent but many of them have a lot of other descent. I would say that there would be a lot of mostly Ghanian descent in the Maroons and other isolated communities. Now, there are communities across the Americas that may be mostly one group, but this would actually be mainly in the United States, specifically Virginia and North Carolina. You can actually meet people there who have ancestors called Armaka, and surnames like Eboe, some even know of this ancestry. If you were to concentrate on mostly Igbo descended communities I would look at Virginia/Kentucky/North Carolina, although I'm not saying it's everybody or community there oh!

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima(f): 3:08pm On Jan 20, 2013
Lol@blyss slayed!!

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:33pm On Jan 20, 2013
ezeagu:

There's no group that is mostly Igbo, and certainly not Jamaicans. They may have many people who are of Igbo descent but many of them have a lot of other descent. I would say that there would be a lot of mostly Ghanian descent in the Maroons and other isolated communities. Now, there are communities across the Americas that may be mostly one group, but this would actually be mainly in the United States, specifically Virginia and North Carolina. You can actually meet people there who have ancestors called Armaka, and surnames like Eboe, some even know of this ancestry. If you were to concentrate on mostly Igbo descended communities I would look at Virginia/Kentucky/North Carolina, although I'm not saying it's everybody or community there oh!
Well said, bro.
OMG! I once read somewhere that some AAs still bear 'eboe' as surname. Never knew it still exists. I've also seen female AAs bearing ibo names like 'amara'. There are speculations that the name, 'kanye' could be ibo though the guy hasn't come out to address this specifically. I remember watching a music video of his in 2007 and his full name was spelt out thus 'kanyechike' which in ibo means 'lets give God strength'. I mean, the name could strongly be ibo. Other ibo americans are Mobb Deep, the rapper, Blair Underwood, the hollywood actor. Their dna testing turned up ibo.
I'll tell you a story. When my dad was a student in America, he got involved with an AA lady. On finishing his UG + Masters, he left for Nigeria. They never communicated afterwards until last year after she found me on FB thinking I was my dad. I then gave her his number and she called. After catching up on lost times my dad was shocked to discover that this lady had a daughter by another man and gave her our family Ibo last name! This same girl grew up, had a son, Jason, and gave him our last name still! The boy is 12 yrs old now and I guess the name tradition will continue. This family latches on to our family name with much fervor. They want to connect back to their roots/motherland I guess.
All along my point has been trying to prove the huge presence of the ibo in the slave trade. My main point being that they were favored more by the british than the french or portuguese. I also brought evidence forward to buttress my point.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:08pm On Jan 20, 2013
*Kails*:
people who know nothing about my ppl are trying to say what we are lmao.
@pagan, tainos/caribs all died prior to europeans arriving in jamaica...are you kidding me? shocked

man wahalah are you stu.pid? stop generalizing the tribes just because they are Native.

Tainos got extinct after the arrival of europeans and slaves. By the 18th century, Taíno society had been devastated by introduced diseases such as smallpox, as well as other factors such as intermarriages and forced assimilation into the plantation economy that Spain imposed in its Caribbean colonies, with its subsequent importation of African slave workers.

as for the Caribs, they still exist and still have a Chief, though the majority have intermarried with African and creole slaves.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:11pm On Jan 20, 2013
The biggest mistake any one, or should i say, and AFRICAN can do is to try to link our tribal groups with these jamos/akatas. These people are tribeless half-breeds without any culture so lets stop making a mockery of ourselves, especially these Igbo supermascists.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 20, 2013
I'm so tired of having to educated folks who don't take the time to do thorough research.
*yawns*

You are talking to someone who is of Maroonian descent. I know my history Paganfo0l.

But since it will take an online article, or two..or three to convince your pea-brain anything I'll let the schooling begin:

[size=18pt]Taino & Afro. Jamaican relationship[/size]

Introduction:

Jamaican Maroons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_Maroons

When the British captured Jamaica in 1655 the Spanish colonists fled leaving a large number of African slaves. Rather than be re-enslaved by the British, they escaped into the hilly, mountainous regions of the island, joining those who had previously escaped from the Spanish to live with the Taínos. The Maroons intermarried with Amerindian natives, establishing independence in the back country and survived by subsistence farming and by raiding plantations. Over time, the Maroons came to control large areas of the Jamaican interior.

The Taino were the first people of the New World to encounter the Europeans as they expanded westwards, and soon were to face harsh slavery and virtual extinction. However they were not fully exterminated, as history has led us to believe. In 1655 when the English expelled the Spaniards, Tainos were still recorded as living in Jamaica. It was noted at this time that rural farmers spoke a dialect that was mixture of Spanish, Taino and African languages. Later archaeologists were to discover English lead shot amongst Taino artifacts, and almost 60 years earlier in 1596 English privateer Sir Anthony Shirley sacked St. Jago de la Vega (later Spanish Town), after being guided there by Taino tribesmen. Further archaeological finds were later to confirm that Taino extinction was a myth, although being enslaved and cruelly treated by Europeans, some Taino did survive. Many escaped into the mountains to co-exist with the Maroons, where still today many non-African plants are used medicinally, plants that were once part of the Taino pharmacology. Hammocks also are still made in Accompong in the Taino fashion, proving that the Taino still survived for many years after the Spanish had left, with the Maroons in the mountains of inland Jamaica.

Read more: http://www.jamaicans.com/articles/primearticles/taino.shtml#ixzz2IXxuzac5

MORE TO COME!! IT'S NOT OVER!!!!!!!!!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2013
[size=18pt]Genetics:[/size]

Taino DNA Found in Jamaican

http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/f6/taino-dna-found-jamaican-215279/index3.html

Colin's DNA test results were relatively surprising. His genetic make-up consists of 55% Sub-Saharan African - comparatively low for someone of Jamaican descent - and 38% European, which would appear to come from his mother's side. Yet there was also 7% 'native American', a term used to cover all indigenous people from the Americas, including the original inhabitants of Jamaica, the Taino. Research has shown that Taino settlements survived beyond European colonisation, and indeed Colin shares some of their facial characteristics: almond eyes and comparatively flat face. It's likely that their bloodline survived through their links to the 'Maroon' communities - descendants of the original West African slaves brought to Jamaica by the English from 1661.

(^^the only error with that is that Maroons are not just West African. We are Kongolese as well)

http://cacreview..com/2007/07/archaeologists-discover-slaves-were.html

From oral tradition it was known that there was a close relationship between Africans and native Arawaks who were called Taino. Now DNA evidence is showing that the maroons carry a lot of genes of the Taino people. The African male slaves who escaped took Taino wives and those were the people who became the maroon population.
Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2013
odumchi:

undecided Well I must admit to not having any official evidence of that comment, it came as second hand information from an acquaintance of mine. smiley
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 20, 2013
^^SHUT UP THERE.
IF I HAD SAID IT YOU'D DISAGREE!

you are wrong on this subject. grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 20, 2013
[size=18pt]Taino influence on food.[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8FwLM55f9c

Jerk Chicken History
http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/jerk_chicken.htm

Jerk Chicken is believed to have been conceived when the Maroons introduced African meat cooking techniques to Jamaica which were combined with native Jamaican ingredients and seasonings used by the Arawak. The method of smoking meat for a long period of time served two practical purposes, keeping insects away from the raw meat and preserving it for longer once it has been cooked. This process also introduces a strong smoky flavour to the meat.

There are two commonly held theories regarding how the name "Jerk" came to be used. One is that it originates from the Spanish word "Charqui", used to describe dried meat. Over time this term evolved from "Charqui" to "Jerky" to "Jerk". Another theory is that the name derives from the practice of jerking (poking) holes in the meat to fill with spices prior to cooking. Nowadays, the word "Jerk" is used as a noun to describe the seasoning applied to jerked food and as a verb to describe the process of cooking used.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.