Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

Where Is Jimi Agbaje? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Is Jimi Agbaje? (2004 Views)

But Is Jimi Agbaje An Igbo Man? / Jona's Loss Is Jimi Agbaje's Gain / Jimi Agbaje Rides Okada To Rally (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Jimi Agbaje? by johnie: 2:21pm On Apr 01, 2011
We are about a week to the gubernatorial elections and I can't help but cast my mind back to same period before the 2007 elections.

In Lagos, the major contenders included Babatunde Fashola (AC), Jimi Agbaje (DPA), Musiliu Obanikoro (PDP), Femi Pedro (LP) and Tokunbo Afikuyomi (ANPP).

Agbaje, Pedro and Afikuyomi had all attempted to get the AC ticket which was selectively given to Fashola leading to their exit from AC.

Afikuyomi stepped down for Fashola at the last minute.

Agabaje managed to come in third behind 'Koro in the race despite the fact that his picture did not feature on the ballot paper, an omission he contended worked against him in the elections and challenged in court.

Agbaje brought introduced such innovations as social media (youtube), text messaging and and e-mail to campaign in Lagos.

Inspired by the Web 2.0 campaign web sites launched by United States Presidential candidates like Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, and Barack Obama, he launched his own   (jimiagbaje.com, now rested) which allowed his supporters to create profiles, network, and create their own campaigns on-line.

His campaign had the pay-off: caring. thinking. working.   which reminds me of "Fashola is working, Lagos is working"

Agbaje took off from 'Idile,' a group of promising minds bubbling with innovative programmes. He had served as a treasurer of Afenifere, the umbrella Yoruba socio-political group. His activities earned him a cabinet position in the Tinubu administration after the 2003 general elections, but declined the offer, on the basis of principles.

Fast forward to 2011 and what do we have?

Babatunde Fashola (Incumbent and candidate of AC[N])
Musiliu Obanikoro (PDP, now Nigeria's High Commissioner to Ghana) 
Femi Pedro (Now in PDP, unsuccessful in attempt to contest 2011 elections for governor on the platform of PDP, lost to Ade Dosunmu)
Tokunbo Afikuyomi  (Now in ACN is a commissioner in the government of Fashola)

Now, where is Jimi Agbaje? Where is DPA?

One interesting thing about his campaign is that it was quite popular with professionals and youths including some Nairalanders who assumed that his "popularity"would get him the ticket to the office.

I hope the case of some candidates being bandied around on the web (including Nairaland) today would not be like that of Agbaje who I am still asking the questions about : Where is Jimi Agbaje?

Another interesting parallel I can draw with 2007 elections is the campaign of Agbaje and that of Bashorun J.K. Randle. Both of them are scions of the upper crust of Lagos society of "old". Old money, if you know what I mean. While Randle attended Kings College and would constantly remind you of that fact, Agbaje is a product of St. Gregory's Obalende. Seems to me that they both crave a return to the Lagos of old where everything worked. Agbaje fell to "new money" like I see Randle also doing now.

Before you chop my head off, I actually voted for Agbaje in 2007!

Where is Jimi Agbaje?
Re: Where Is Jimi Agbaje? by johnie: 5:41pm On Apr 01, 2011
Jimi Agbaje

Re: Where Is Jimi Agbaje? by seanet02: 6:36pm On Apr 01, 2011
He is hale and Hearty
Re: Where Is Jimi Agbaje? by johnie: 7:58pm On Apr 01, 2011
Yes. I am sure he is hale and hearty.

Question is "where is he politically?"

Like I posited earlier, I hope some of our "popular" 2011 candidates will not go into political oblivion after the elections.
Re: Where Is Jimi Agbaje? by Lagosboy: 12:27pm On Apr 28, 2011
I am wondering myself. Jimi has maybe retired from active politics , otherwise i see no reason why he did not contest for a senatorial position.

(1) (Reply)

How Come All Nigerian Political Parties Have The Same Ideology And Manifesto?? / Sack Prof Attahiru Jega Now- Buhari / Survey About Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.