Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Calabar Food Is Overhyped! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Calabar Food Is Overhyped! (11075 Views)

What Food Is On Your Mind right Now? / What Food Is Your Town Or State Known For? / Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by adonisgold: 8:20pm On Apr 01, 2011
All they eat is garri and Afang, in the rare places where you get rice it is usually with pepper soup. Now this pepper soup is usually just meat broth no iota of pepper or any other spice. There are other soups like Edi-kang ikong but what is all the noise if you end up eating all the soups with garri. Then there is one horrid broth they call ''white soup''. Avoid it! As the name implies, it is colourless, odourless and tasteless.

Atimes they put in periwinkles with the shell and you have to suck it out, it tastes bitter and ghastly.

There is anoda soup, ekpan kpupo , too much stress to cook all on account of eba!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by mamagee3(f): 9:09pm On Apr 01, 2011
I hardly hear people mention Calabar food. . .

This is my first time hearing about this. . .
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by adonisgold: 10:11pm On Apr 01, 2011
Calabars are ruputed for their culinary skills. I bet they are considered the best cooks in naija. Most employed house hold cooks are Calabars. Their women are also reputed to be em, never mind, wink
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by denitro(m): 9:56am On Apr 02, 2011
This is the most biased thread I have ever read.
LOL
Please come clean what happened?
Have you been jilted by a calabar girl?
or Robbed by a calabar guy or what?
LOL

1 Like

Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by margaritav(f): 4:38am On Apr 23, 2011
Calabar food is great and not overhyped, the poster was just eating from a person who cooked bad period.

1 Like

Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by pleep(m): 2:41am On Apr 27, 2011
adonisgold:

Calabars are ruputed for their culinary skills. I bet they are considered the best cooks in naija. Most employed house hold cooks are Calabars. Their women are also reputed to be em, never mind, wink

Lol, i was there last december an now i am wondering what that lady at the boutique really wanted with my brother.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by adonisgold: 7:36am On Apr 27, 2011
pleep:

Lol, i was there last december an now i am wondering what that lady at the boutique really wanted with my brother.
[/quote

And your brother did not find out?!? Damnnn!
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by Estyrhema(f): 11:39am On Apr 28, 2011
@ poster, you r just beefing. i guess you guys don't have as much recipes as we do, so bring it on !!!!
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by babyme1(f): 12:09pm On Apr 28, 2011
Abasi mbok! Did you fall out with a Calabar fellow?

Yeah, our food is soooo goooddddd kiss

Maybe you ate from someone that can't cook bc it's not every Calabar woman/man that can cook nice meals.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by dustydee: 4:58pm On May 03, 2011
I usually dont eat garri but was forced to eat it when i was serving in calaber. The edikaikong made the difference.Didn't try afang and white soup. Never eaten a very good edikaikong since i left calabar. Like it but vould it be overated?Maybe.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by snthesis(m): 7:02pm On May 03, 2011
dnt knw much abt their food, but their women are overhyped angry angry

1 Like

Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by clemcykul(f): 5:52pm On May 04, 2011
e be like say ur calabar babe no gree cook. .that is why u come they hate calabar food.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by Bawss1(m): 1:57pm On May 06, 2011
Blasphemy! Sacrilege!

How can this stand? How can anyone dare to type such words? Do you want to be struck down by the goddess of Calabar cuisine? Do you not know that from state to state it is undisputed knowledge that Calabar women hold the title for the highest prowess displayed in the kitchen and bedroom. There are hundreds of hearts that have been won from tasting the delicious regimen of Calabar cooking. Marriages have been made and broken because of Calabar food. Such culinary renown is not unconnected to the fact that the women from that region are naturally equipped to see to the thorough satisfaction of their diners. . . in fact were one to delve into details of personal tales of delight of such  culinary (and post culinary) experiences, there might be an up shoot of blood pressure from readers here.

Let no one dare to breath such words of blasphemy;there can never be an over-hyping of Calabar food!
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by iice(f): 3:15am On May 12, 2011
A friend told me the white soup is really nice.
I've only eaten Edikaikong and it was nice.
Me, i like eba. And so long as the food tastes good to me, i will eat it.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by Bawss1(m): 10:25am On May 12, 2011
I think white soup is an Igbo meal not Calabar.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by babyme1(f): 4:46pm On May 13, 2011
Bawss1:

I think white soup is an Igbo meal not Calabar.
White soup is Calabar soup. We call it Afia efere and it's very delicious especially when prepared with goat meat and dry fish.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by lepasharon(f): 7:03pm On May 13, 2011
what do u mean?? no try calabar food o!! edi kain Kon(SP) is SUPER!
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by mystikal(m): 9:17pm On May 17, 2011
I don't know if its the same white soup we talking about here. I can eat that thing everyday.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by TeeJay6(m): 10:01pm On May 17, 2011
i agree with the poster, the food is overrated just like their girls embarassed
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by adonisgold: 8:18pm On Jun 10, 2011
Yuck! All the soups are garish green, water leaf! Abeg. I came across the white soup again today, I smartly dodged!
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by lahips: 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2011

1 Like

Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by Bisjosh(f): 5:24pm On Jun 17, 2011
Every region or tribe have d food in which they specialize in. Just as ibos are gud at egusi,calabar at edikangikong and yorubas at efo riro and ewedu with gbegiri. So stop hyping one than d others and mind u its nt all calabar gals dat are gud in bed. Its nt a tribe thing. Av seen a calabar gal saluting a yoruba gal for her bed skills.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by babyme1(f): 10:08am On Jun 18, 2011
Bisjosh:

Every region or tribe have d food in which they specialize in. Just as ibos are gud at egusi,calabar at edikangikong and yorubas at efo riro and ewedu with gbegiri. So stop hyping one than d others and mind u its nt all calabar gals dat are gud in bed. Its nt a tribe thing. Av seen a calabar[b] gal[/b] saluting a yoruba gal for her bed skills.
You move with lesbianns? shocked shocked. We are actually good in bed tongue
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by Afam4eva(m): 2:44pm On Jun 18, 2011
Calabar foods are not over-hyped. Edikaiking is great. I also love ekpan kpupo.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by Bawss1(m): 3:45pm On Jun 18, 2011
Bisjosh:

Every region or tribe have d food in which they specialize in. Just as ibos are gud at egusi,calabar at edikangikong and yorubas at efo riro and ewedu with gbegiri. So stop hyping one than d others and mind u its nt all calabar gals dat are gud in bed. Its nt a tribe thing. Av seen a calabar gal saluting a yoruba gal for her bed skills.

Nothing wey we no go read for this Nairaland. shocked
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by eggo: 8:59pm On Jun 26, 2011
All they eat is garri and Afang, in the rare places where you get rice it is usually with pepper soup. Now this pepper soup is usually just meat broth no iota of pepper or any other spice. There are other soups like Edi-kang ikong but what is all the noise if you end up eating all the soups with garri. Then there is one horrid broth they call ''white soup''. Avoid it! As the name implies, it is colourless, odourless and tasteless.

Atimes they put in periwinkles with the shell and you have to suck it out, it tastes bitter and ghastly.

There is anoda soup, ekpan kpupo , too much stress to cook all on account of eba!

hi u probably ate frm someone who didn't get d dishes rit, now apart frm dat our ladies no more cook and dont know how to cook,, wot our grand mothers taught or wud av taught probably fell on deaf ears,, so we can cook,, white soup shld not av perewinkles in it, but shld av those native seasonings to bring out the proper aroma and also native thickners,, we av lots of soups and must not be eaten wif eba,, u cud do yam, plantain,, rice, etc,,come down to cali and u will b treated rit wif d real scented leaves frm our farms or gardens, and ekpang nku nkwo is not difficult its fun 4 any real calabar woman,
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by abhosts(m): 8:07pm On Jul 31, 2011
@poster,

Those meals were probably prepared someone who cannot cook. Calabar dishes are great.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 31, 2011
Overhyped ke, who wan eat dog meat? grin
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by Kunbee: 10:35pm On Jul 31, 2011
I think so too
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by benodic: 11:17pm On Jul 31, 2011
i just stumbled across this thread and got the shock of my life. to me it is total blasphemy to cast aspersions on calabar culinary skills.

the only reason why i am still enjoying my stay in the north is that i was able to discover a joint ran by a calabar woman who cooks up a storm with dishes varying from afang soup, Edi-kang ikong, vegetable soup with all the swallows available ranging from fufu, gari, wheat, semo etc. a gourmet's delight.

please stop this nonsense once and for all before i lose my cool angry angry
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by Ndipe(m): 12:20am On Aug 01, 2011
I am from Uyo, that was once part of cross river state, so we are all regarded as 'calabar people' Yeah, our culinary reputation in Nigeria holds no bounds compared with other tribes. But I have tried several or so meals from other tribes, so I cant say which tribe makes the best meals, but our people are reknowned when it comes to cooking.
Re: Calabar Food Is Overhyped! by MariaP: 2:00am On Aug 01, 2011
No Our food is not overhyped, Atleast all the men who've tasted my pot of soups and my honey pot could testify to my excellent
cookology and fuckology,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Have You Been Coping With Buying Food Items With Scarcity Of Cash? / Cost Of Mama Put Food / How To Make Delicious Mild Chocolate Cupcakes (in pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.